Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 261468

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Well if we are to go by the rumors at this point, the two that support the theory are...

-Touch Screen built into controller
-3DS also can be used as a controller

Just going by those two alone, I think it'd be in Nintendo's best interest to make the interconnectivity between the two. I mean, if the console and the handheld were both more interconnected, it might help sales of both. Plus, as mentioned before with the Super Gameboy and the GC Adapter, Nintendo has been known to do this before and for the most part has been met with good results.

I just think it makes the most logical sense for the Wii 2 to try to cater to every fan possible, from the handheld fans who want to play their games on the big screen (and possibly record them XD) to the casual & new Wii crowd (as another rumor suggests WiiMotes can be used with the new system) as well as try to cater to the hardcore crowd with new StarFox, StarTropics, and F-Zero games as well more 3rd party support, like Zone of the Enders 3!  8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
The main issue as I see it would be the little-used oddball features such as the cameras, mic, and gyroscope; limiting compatibility.  Still, "3DS as a controller" would solve all that, and even with the Cafe alone it would open up quite a few titles to the living room.

I too was hoping such a feature would eventually hit the Wii, though admittedly that may have been a bit more awkward (harder to substitute the touch-screen, less solid trends as to which screen is the "main" one, and the occasional "book" style game; all things that make less of an impact on the Cafe and 3DS).  It may or may not hit the Cafe, but one has to admit the potential there is much greater, seeings now Nintendo is effectively giving us a multi-screened home console.

Which reminds me, Cafe seriously needs Four Swords.  I can't imagine Nintendo NOT working on that one.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Hey guys hey guys it's the same game you loved/hated...IN 3D.

I sorta hate how the 3DS is the best excuse evah to do that.
In my opinion it feels like Nintendo is finally bringing all their 'gimmicky' ideas together, with new things. You know, motion sensing handheld, motion sensing controller, touch screen handheld, touch screen controller. How could using the handheld as a controller be anything but a great idea? =w=
Book styled games are designed to be played on the DS only. They wouldn't be the same on a big screen. I mean, you tried reading a book on the TV? It doesn't have the same rustic feel.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Which reminds me, Cafe seriously needs Four Swords.  I can't imagine Nintendo NOT working on that one.

We have needed a new Four Swords since the DS =(

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I'm gonna disagree with the 3DS working as the controller.

Nintendo is probably going to go for a capacitive touch pad for the Cafe controller. If they release a alternate 3DS model with a capacitive touch screen, that might work.

PS: Would someone, please, make a device to lock the screen in place. Like a sort of brace.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I don't understand your premise, for two reasons:

1. By what logic would Nintendo employ a more expensive technology for their home console?  If anything it's that much more detrimental seeings how controllers are a "peripheral" that ideally a gamer should be buying more than one of, and the screen/streaming tech alone will likely raise cost concerns.

2. Why exactly do you suggest that a capacitive touch screen could substitute for a resistive touch screen, but not vice-versa?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I don't understand your premise, for two reasons:

1. By what logic would Nintendo employ a more expensive technology for their home console?  If anything it's that much more detrimental seeings how controllers are a "peripheral" that ideally a gamer should be buying more than one of, and the screen/streaming tech alone will likely raise cost concerns.

2. Why exactly do you suggest that a capacitive touch screen could substitute for a resistive touch screen, but not vice-versa?

There is the problem of how each works and the accuracy and ease of either.

The resistive is what DS uses and the 3DS almost needs to use one due to the accuracy needed by the resistive touch screen.

Given the chance to use either for a controller, capacitive is best due to the ease of use. You can use your finger and you can maintain contact, while moving, a lot easier.

If Nintendo wants to try to use the 3DS as it is now for a controller, they will run into the problems the resistive touch screen has.

If a consumer is willing to forgo complete NDS touch screen "sameness", they can get a 3DS with a capacitive touch and that would work as a controller for the Cafe, but then all the games for 3DS that use and expect the resistive screen would have to be programmed twice for either method. It wouldn't be that hard though.

tl;dr
The only reason 3DS has Resistive Touch is for compatibility with NDS games. Given the chance to use either, Capacitive Touch has way too many more advantages for use as a controller.

PS: I can go into detail on any part I may have overlooked, just specify.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
You know, aside from the fact that using a capacitive touch screen would be detrimental in more ways than one.  For example, higher cost and the need to use special, more expensive styluses.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Fingers are free.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Not everyone wants to smudge/scratch their screens, and fingers still work on resistive screens.  Yes, there's a greater need to maintain pressure, but it still works.

Inconvenient?  Perhaps, but then there's the issue of accuracy.  Not only technological (for which capacitive is inferior), but also ergonomical.  I might agree with your point if we were talking about a full-size monitor.  But a controller's screen is going to be relatively small, even if not as small as a DS's.  Take it from someone who prefers to leave their stylus tucked away safely: fingers simply do not provide the level of accuracy that you will often need on such a small scale.  And sure as hell not MY fingers (ask PB).

If a consumer is willing to forgo complete NDS touch screen "sameness", they can get a 3DS with a capacitive touch and that would work as a controller for the Cafe, but then all the games for 3DS that use and expect the resistive screen would have to be programmed twice for either method. It wouldn't be that hard though.
Actually, it is EXCEPTIONALLY difficult, given that you're talking about a system that's already out.  Even Nintendo lacks the ability to time-travel; what you're suggesting would be impossible without cutting off older projects, thus fragmenting the userbase.  Even if that is overcome, backwards compatability is a pretty major point of most Nintendo handhelds and is especially so with the 3DS (given that they're opening it up to DSiWare and never-before-done-by-Nintendo system transfers; they'd have to rework the e-Shop to detect and accommodate the specific 3DS model, and nobody's going to like taking their latest piece of hardware online to find out that their hardware forbids them access to certain online content).

It's generally not good press for compatibility to vary by the individual SKU, as Sony learned (we hope) the hard way with the PS3.

Even assuming for the sake of argument that Nintendo is going to use a capacitive screen, it would be CONSIDERABLY easier to "program twice" for the Cafe, which is not yet in the public's hands, than for the 3DS, which already is.  Further the Cafe has no backwards compatibility issues with regards to touch sensitivity; no Wii game uses it.

tl;dr
Your premise is questionable, but at least possible.  Your work-around is completely illogical.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I don't know why Nintendo would use resistive for Cafe. They have no obligation for backwards compatibility, like the 3DS. The cost is higher, but Capacitive lends itself better to blind touching than Resistive. I'm all for Resistive in applications where you are looking at the surface and need to touch an exact spot. but this is going to be a controller.

If Nintendo did the NDS a hundred times over, each time it would choose Resistive touch, and I would agree with that, but for the Cafe, I don't see it being the best method.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
You're speculating as to what level of accuracy is acceptable.  It's a controller with a screen, hence you will be looking at it.  Maybe not in every application, but at some point, you will.  If the Cafe controller were meant solely for "blind touch", it would use a pad akin to a laptop rather than a screen that shows streamed content from the console.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
I'm just gonna mention D.I.Y. Showcase and leave...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Looks like the May update went from being the May Update to the June Update, or as I'd like to call it, the E3 Update

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/6ANlirylYehWRAOQn_i0e53E0XtWMk4s

June 6 NA
June 7 JP

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Wait... so we're not getting the eShop until June!?

Though I don't mind the wait, though I'm a little worried about the Mega Man Legends 3 demo? It's going to be push back now, right, since there's no point of releasing it to a store that isn't available to be access.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
June 6 NA
First reaction:

Second reaction:
Well, it's only one week from the vague "end of May" statement we had earlier.  Plus, I'm off that Monday. 8)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
It's gonna be June 6 in the evening, so it's not gonna make THAT much of a difference depending on when you get out of work >.>

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Evening in Pacific Time, to boot.  Well, I'll be......well rested.  >.>

Anyways, for those watching DOA Dimensions, Yosuke Hayashi confirmed that there will be no playable Samus.
...for DOAD our aim was to have a compilation of DOA characters so we purposely left out any new or guest characters in the game. Samus is a lone bounty hunter and protector of the galaxy so we thought it would be better to let her focus on her job rather than kicking everyone's butt in DOAD.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/116/1168043p1.html

Sadness, but I guess watching Ridley mangle my opponents after they're knocked over the edge will have to do.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Evening in Pacific Time, to boot.  Well, I'll be......well rested.  >.>

Anyways, for those watching DOA Dimensions, Yosuke Hayashi confirmed that there will be no playable Samus.http://ds.ign.com/articles/116/1168043p1.html

Sadness, but I guess watching Ridley mangle my opponents after they're knocked over the edge will have to do.

Thats a terrible excuse and they know it, nothing wrong with a guest fighter here and there.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
No argument from me.  I don't see how a guest fighter would detract from focus anymore than a crossover stage.

Maybe Team Ninja just didn't want to rock the whole "betraying Samus's image" bitchery boat anymore?  After all, the general public considers this woman, who strips down to her underwear as a reward for fast explorers, to be the highest order of gaming's non-sexualized female role-models; we can't have anyone tarnishing such purity again.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Thats a terrible excuse and they know it, nothing wrong with a guest fighter here and there.

Tell that to Soul Calibur players.

But yeah, BS excuse.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Zero Suit in DOA would be off the charts hot and everyone knows it.

COUNT ME DISAPPOINTED.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
And we can all thank the people who bitched over Other M for that, ladies and gents.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Tell that to Soul Calibur players.

But yeah, BS excuse.

Ok, the Yoda/DV thing was a little uncalled for in SCIV. Its kinda difficult to understand why or how they got in.

But Samus in DOA, not having that is a missed opportunity, jiggly boobs + Zero Suit= HNNGH.

But I digress.