Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 258659

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Once my finances get a little more sane, I'll probably want to look into Luigi's Mansion.  Never did get around to that one.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/08/29/north-america-new-galaxy-style-nintendo-3ds-unveiled/

Random Galaxy New 3DS XL has been revealed to be released for NA sometime this week.  It has been Reggie Approved.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
There's going to be a 3DS focused Nintendo Direct on the 1st of Spetember 7 AM PT.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
[yt]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IpXQtFbRChg#[/yt]

..........PORTABLE YOSHI WOOLY WORLD AND PIKMIN SIDE SCROLLING!

Street Pass is going to also get an update with new mini games and finally increasing the limit from getting 10 Street Passes to 100.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
I have Woolly World on Wii U, so the extra stuff in the Poochy edition doesn't warrant a purchase for me. (The amiibo I would get though.) But if you're not a Wii U owner, I highly recommend you pick this version up. Woolly World is the best Yoshi game since the original on SNES, possibly even better. Same goes for Mario Maker, unless the options they took out are major.

I'm liking the idea of a Pikmin sidescroller. It sounds like something an indie developer would come up with.

But I was most excited to see Picross 3D Round 2 is out. I was jonesing for new Picross for ages.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
As long as they don't put anything similar to Picross-e's Mega Picross mode in, I'll be fine. I need to find the original Picross 3D now...

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I really feel that Nintendo Direct, when you are speaking directly to people most likely to own a Wii U, is not the best time to announce that Yoshi's Woolly World is the new Hyrule Warriors...

Oh well.

I hope that the new sports compilation's version of golf doesn't have the cursor changing speeds mid-swing.  I HATED that about the last 3DS Mario Golf.

Mii Plaza updates are welcome, just got the slot car racer as my freebie.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I don't know, I mean Poochy Mode doesn't really add much that a Wii U owner would miss and most Wii U owners would own Wooly World, especially since this year was starved for games.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/amazon-exclusive_lime_green_new_nintendo_3ds_xl_special_edition_is_now_available_in_north_america

Random Amazon Exclusive Lime Green New 3DS XL has appeared with Super Mario World Pre-Installed.  It's not the Pink New 3DS XL that Ammy really wants but the Pink New 3DS XL did come out in Japan at the same time as this model so there may be hope for Ammy to get his Pink New 3DS XL yet. 

Will a Pink New 3DS XL be bundled with a Kirby Game or 3 or the surprisingly good Style Savvy: Fashion Forward?

Tune in to maybe find out!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/budget_new_nintendo_3ds_models_announced_for_north_america

Starting arounf Black Friday there will be Black and White standard New 3DSes with no games at $99.

We finally get the Black 3DS but we'll probably still be starved when it comes to cover plates. 

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I'm very tempted to get the white N3DS.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Mines gotten very dirty, mind. I wish I didn't buy on release, and waited for the black one, sometimes.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I personally just want some more cover plates in the NA so I don't have to pay upwards of $30 to import a single cover plate from Play-Asia.

Oh and extra stylus packs too, a single replacement at the Nintendo site is like $4.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Yea plates are a bit much, but my ?-Block plates are totally worth it

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Yeah, I personally want to get multiple plates, I like the idea of being able to customize the look of my 3DS without having to buy a case but Nintendo hasn't given me the opportunity.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
My New 3DS XL broke its parallax barrier.  From what, I'm not sure...closing too hard?  Guessing I should look into one of those $100 models on Black Friday.  If I feel like getting used to a regular-sized system again.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Apparently the black, regular-sized New 3DS with a matching Super Mario Bros. faceplate was being sold for $99 this Black Friday in Walmart and sold out in a heartbeat. [tornado fang] my life... :|

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Has there been any other games besides Smash and Hyrule Warriors that has capitalized on the increased power of the New 3DS? I haven't heard of anything exciting about it in a long time. Seems like a wasted update in hind sight?

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Some games do perform better with a New 3DS, for a recent example there's Pokemon Sun and Moon performing better on the New 3DS since Pokemon Sun and Moon pushed the 3DS to the limit to the point that certain types of battles do lag on the normal 3DS but not the New 3DS.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
And I think a few games like Gunvolt 1 got updates to support the extra ZL and ZR shoulder buttons to switch weapons without having to use the pause menu to do that. That and someone mentioned only New 3DS can actually run Super Nintendo games on the eShop because of the upgraded CPU.

Dammit, if only the black regular New 3DS came out way sooner, it would not only save me a lot of money from what my family spent on for the Animal Crossing bundle, but I could have gotten a New 3DS that would match perfectly with this faceplate PB mentioned as well as the Power A Zelda carrying case I got for mine. Oh well... at least I found a decent substitute for the white one when they were in stock.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Yeah you need to get the New 3DS to purchase and play SNES games, and of course Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. 

So if you have a Wii U this might not be as exciting, but if you don't have a Wii U a New 3DS is much more worth it......despite the fact it still can't play GBA games for some stupid reason unless you're an Ambassador like I am.  I mean I do agree that the Ambassador GBA games were not perfect, especially since you couldn't put the games into Sleep Mode, but you would think they'd figure out the kinks of that by now.......

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
I don't generally buy VC games over their actual physical counterparts, so I haven't kept up much. It greatly surprises me that GBA isn't on the 3DS. There has to be some good reason for it. I also don't buy Nintendo's assertion that the New3DS being needed to play SNES games. If the 3DS can play GBA games, which it can, it can play SNES games, period. This may just be a tactic to lure you into buying the upgrade.

I think I'm going to skip this version of the console. Not enough there to make me shell out really.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I think Fxeni mentioned that Nintendo just couldn't get it the way they wanted on the 3DS, along with the no Sleep Mode thing.  So it's a quality thing they somehow haven't figured out on the 3DS but eh who knows.

However, it also makes me wonder why NES and N64 games on the Wii U look like [parasitic bomb] but it's perfectly fine on the Wii......like why did they let that pass? SNES games on the Wii U are unaffected, so the SNES games are in good graphical quality.

Another thing the New 3DS has is the nub which is good for Smash, FPSes and camera control in some games, but honestly, I barely used the thing, though then again I'm not too heavily into the former 2 things. So for the most part, it replaces the Circle Pad Pro for the original 3DS.  Though the nub does not work for Kid Icarus Uprising for some reason.

The main reason I upgraded to the New 3DS is because I had the original one and not only is this was much more technically superior upgrade for me on all counts, but it's much more ergonomically sound than that edgy brick.

I mean seriously look at this brick compared to the New 3DS.

I mean seriously this is one of the few things besides the 360 controller, and yes I do mean the 360 controller, that gives me [tornado fang]ing hand cramps!  I had to put armor on that thing!

I also wanted the smaller one since I didn't want the huge screen and touch screen, I mean compared to the original's tiny screen this was a huge upgrade and I liked the face plate customization.....or I would like the face plate customization if NoA wasn't so wishy-washy about it and actually gave the standard a chance here......I have to import those because of NoA's BS.......

I mean I would be cool with the XL, but I really wanted the standard.

But another downside with the New 3DS is that it needs a micro SD card, and you need a tiny screwdriver to actually be able to put it in.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Though the nub does not work for Kid Icarus Uprising for some reason.
Okay, that's going to hurt my chances of buying Kid Icarus Uprising digitally...

I also wanted the smaller one since I didn't want the huge screen and touch screen, I mean compared to the original's tiny screen this was a huge upgrade and I liked the face plate customization.....or I would like the face plate customization if NoA wasn't so wishy-washy about it and actually gave the standard a chance here......I have to import those because of NoA's BS.......
This. Just, this right here.

But another downside with the New 3DS is that it needs a micro SD card, and you need a tiny screwdriver to actually be able to put it in.
Way ahead of you. owob *busts out the mini-screwdriver kit*

But in all seriousness, a mini screwdriver set shouldn't set back you too much though a single size #0/PH0 screwdriver should be fine. Not only for replacing the micro SD with one that has more storage space than what comes with the New 3DS by default, but also for switching face plates. Here's a tutorial I found for opening the New 3DS's bottom plate if anyone needs some help with that (although the guy here used his hand to pop the plate off instead of using the round end of the stylus).

[youtube]youtu.be/pSCHm0_xvHw[/youtube]

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Yeah I have one too, it's just something everyone bitches about that's actually not that big of a deal.