Iwata Asks: Wii Sports Resort (Hilarious Roundtable)

Jericho · 960

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Well then, with Wii Sports Resort about to make it's huge splash in all territories, the Iwata Asks panel this time is going to be focused on the people in charge of making and programming the game as well as the hardware guys in charge of making the Wii MotionPlus add on. It's a great read in and of itself, however, the min reason I'm putting this up now is because of a few hilarious remarks about the history of the development as well as general Shiggy HAHA and Nintendo work ethics. XD

For example:

Quote from: Presentations of Wii Sports Resort to the Boss
Shimamura: What’s more, we had to give a presentation, a kind of progress report, once every few months…

Iwata: The dreaded progress report! (laughs)

Shimamura: “Dreaded” is exactly the right word! (laughs)

Yamashita: He (Miyamoto) makes each person stand for an hour.

Iwata: He makes you stand? (laughs)

All: (laughter)

Yamashita: In order to explain games currently in development in front of Miyamoto-san…

Iwata: He gets you to stand up to give these explanations.

Yamashita: Yes, he certainly does. (laughs) Each person has to go through about an hour with Miyamoto-san saying “That’s no good” and us saying “I see… I see…”

Shimamura: Anyway, as H-san was overseeing archery, he was incredibly good at it. Normally he would have no problem in hitting the bulls-eye time after time.

Yamashita: But during the progress report meeting, when he was demonstrating archery, he was shaking really badly.

Shimamura: If you looked at the screen, you could see that he wasn’t able to hold it steady at all. I’d never seen anyone shaking so bad before when playing the game so I said: “You’re shaking!” He replied: ”It’s nerves!” (laughs)

Yamashita: Then after having it pointed it out to him, the shaking got even worse.

Shimamura: The arrows were flying all over the place. I wonder if the Wii MotionPlus is the world's first device that's able to detect whether someone is nervous.

Iwata: (laughs) So did he get through that nerve-wracking presentation without Miyamoto-san giving him the thumbs down?

Shimamura: On that occasion…

Yamashita: As you might be able to guess, Miyamoto-san did indeed give him the thumbs down!

Yamashita: But following that, it improved greatly.

Or:

Quote from: President's Orders
Yamashita: Originally, there were 12 sports, each of which had several modes available.

Shimamura: We had thought that this was sufficient in terms of the game content on offer…

Yamashita: But then there was the suggestion to consider adding another mode.

Iwata: Who was it who made that suggestion?

Yamashita: Well, it’s not something that a member of the team would have said. Of course it was... (laughs)

All: (laughs)

Miyamoto: It was you who said it, Iwata-san: "Add another one!"

Iwata: What?

Miyamoto: I told everyone that the President had said there still wasn’t enough game content and asked them what we were going to do about it.

Iwata: Now I get it… (laughs)

Yamashita: Well, it was a direct order from the President, so we didn’t have any alternative.

Shimamura: You’ve got no choice but to do it.

Iwata: Irrespective of what I may or may not have actually said! (laughs) What new modes did you add?

Shimamura: We added skydiving.

You can read the rest here and discuss or (more than likely) have a good laugh at some of Miyamoto's sly ass ways. XD

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:22:53 AM
Ahhh Miyamoto... the ways he manages to have things go his way is great. Well, he certainly gets whatever's needed to improve the final product, that's for sure. I'll be sad when he retires.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:41:39 AM
Same here honestly. It's funny though, I never quite thought of him as a guy who would resort to tricks (as harmless as they are) in order to get his crew working at 110%. XD

I also notice that he shares a lot in common with Will Wright the more I hear about his forward thinking. The island idea is really intriguing.