Button Mashing and Fighting games

Waifu · 2097

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: July 03, 2009, 06:37:36 PM
I am not much of casual gamer and granted, I spend time one game before going to another but still is there any easier way for me to master fighting games like Street Figther? It is kind of embarrising to go to a arcade or Gameworks without getting owned and laughed at by people who had layed these games, I don't really play them a lot and the fact that games like King of Fighters have so many button combos makes it worse. Is there any tips to help me maser games like SNK vs Capcom or even Guilty Gear?

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 07:45:09 PM
There usually are patterns that govern most character's main combo strings, with some variations. Look for those. Try to button smash your way to those combos and you'll have a hilariously decent success rate.

Also, Ken flowcharts.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 03:17:00 AM
Guides. Really. Otherwise, get used to the usual motions usually found in arcade games, such as quarter circles, half circles, 360 rotation. It all depends on the game and character, too. Some characters have moves where you have to hold back, then foward + Button. When trying to get into it at first, it does look daunting trying to remember this stuff but you soon find which characters you click with and which ones to avoid.

And practice at home. It may be hard to transition from joy stick to controller or vice versa, but at least knowing what to do going in gives you something to work with when readjusting. Luckily, most fighting games don't change up too many moves, if any, in the sequel, so you should be good to go if you try an older game

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 05:22:41 AM
Unfortunately, coming from a veteran 2D fighter, I can only tell you one thing.

Fighting games are learned by fighting. No matter whether you win or lose, the key is to FIGHT, and as you fight, you'll understand how the game works, and will be able to grasp the mechanics and how to take advantage of them.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:26:38 AM
I get my ass whooped on Street Fighter 4 by the AI quite often, even on Easiest ([tornado fang]ing Zangief and Seth), and this isn't even online! But i've gotten better because i'm learning how the opposing characters work, and getting used to the pixel/polygon range of the movements and attacks of my own character, along with the movesets. Simply put, it comes down to experience and training.

Also, don't forget to add in alittle defense in there too; simply bumrushing your opponent will get you screwed if you don't bother to defend yourself when you're open.  :\

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:33:41 AM
Thats always been my biggest fault in Smash Brothers. I just can't be arsed to defend.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:35:07 AM
The shield can be tricky, especially with it's breakable factor - try mastering dodges instead.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:36:59 AM
I tried. I just find it very.. I don't know how to put it.. I just don't like it in Smash Brothers. In traditional fighters, though, I usually defend when I need to. I guess just holding back is so much easier than trying to figure out when to use a shield :P Then again, KoF has the Dodge and Roll systems, which I use often so I don't know my excuse on Smash Bros.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 09:58:04 PM
Or, if you play high offense, low defense characters like I do, you can try the alternate approach -- bumrush and kick the shitting daylights out of them before they notice you're there, or you're toast. :P

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 10:04:30 PM
Or if you're like me, defend yourself by using another attack, but then again, that doesn't always end well XD

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 04:55:32 AM
I tend to embrace the noblest of traditions in Smash Bros.

Run Away!

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 05:25:25 AM
Really, the shield in SSB hasn't been worth jack since SSB64. Which is a ****ing crime, because if people had SSB64's shields in Brawl, Metaknight wouldn't be as much of a problem.

The thing that annoys me most about Smash is how you have no idea what jumps you have or what moves you can do after you've been hit, and if you can't do something quickly to keep your opponent from following up AND execute it well enough, it's pretty much game over on the higher to professional level.