Your Favorite Games of All Time

Satoryu · 15454

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 10:01:30 PM
The reason this question is so hard to ask gamers, is because a lot of times, the list can change at a moment's notice.  You could go back and play a game you haven't played in a while, and realize that THAT game is your favorite, or on the top ten.  However, then you think about whether or not it could knock another such game off your list as well.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 11:52:21 PM
Man, I have a hard time narrowing  down a list of 10, but if I unleash the shackles to go further, all hell will break loose and the list won't be remotely readable.  So here it goes.  But don't take this list too literally, some were axed due to being a little too obvious (how do you argue with S3&K, Mario RPG, and all that jazz?).

EDITS: Blatantly ripped off the italics caption shpiel, hope nobody cares.

Honorable mention: Pokemon Colosseum (GCN)
Remember, girls, you can always trust former theives who save you from kidnappers.
Okay, so I lied, I'm doing a list of 11, but I wanted to get this one in here.  The only game to take the "child prodigy living with single parent and the town's friendly professor" mold that every other game sticks to like glue and rip it to shreds.  Instead we play as not only an experienced trainer, but in fact a renegade from the game's evil team.  And what do you know, there's a reason to RAISE the critters this time instead of leaving them rot in the PC, it's about time.  Also I feel this was the last console Pokemon game to deliver some blow-your-socks-off music, particularly the R/S remixes (impressive considering I didn't care much for the originals).  Not that Gale of Darkness didn't have its moments, but Battle Revolution was shameful in the audio department.

10. Armored Core 3 (PS2)
Wow!  Look at the size of that garage!
I lack both the time and the cash to cover the entire Armored Core series.  But I've pretty much conquered this one completely and loved every minute of it.  If there's one thing better than taking a giant mecha out to blow [parasitic bomb] up, it's making your own giant mecha to take out and blow [parasitic bomb] up.  The level of variety and customization is, as always, staggering, and keeping multiple ACs at the ready helps keep your options open and convenient.  The use of CPU partners is fun, too, especially in the Arena.

9. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Wii)
*brrrring!!!*  DAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!  *crash!*
This game teaches us a valuable lesson: Think twice before playing with your phone in a movie theater.
(also, bumper cars atop a skyscraper is FUN!!!)

8. Godzilla Unleashed (Wii)
IGN loves using the remote and nunchuck's right analogue stick.  Apparantly Daemon Hatfield was on drugs when he copy/pasted another game's review.
One of the few titles to really convey what storming through a city as a giant monster should REALLY feel like.  It is control-wise an excellent and original use of the nunchuck and remote, even using the speaker to assist you.  Sure, it's a little buggy, and Pipeworks never did figure out how to do water splashing properly.  But the ability to decimate your opponents as FRICKIN' BIOLLANTE easily makes up for it.

7. Sonic Adventure 2 (DC/GCN)
He's invulnerable and can teleport at will, and he died by falling into the atmosphere.  Makes perfect sense.
To any who claim Sonic in 3D was never done properly, I bequeath a boot to the head.  This game (and its predecessor) is an absolute masterpiece.  One of my favorite 3D games ever, and IMHO containing the finest 3D platforming stage ever created: Final Rush.

6. Super Mario 64 DS (NDS)
Yoshi is one HELL of a sleepwalker.  And he misses his single-player wings.
Yoshi in a 3D platformer.  Nevermind that said 3D platformer is a ground-breaking jewel made bigger and prettier than ever.  How do you not love this game?  Makes me wonder what kind of brain damage it takes to download SM64 on the Virtual Console when you can get this and take it anywhere instead (unless you just really need that analogue stick).  Also, the minigames are a nice way for core gamers to "advertise" to the casuals.  'tis how I got my fiance into the DS.

5. Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)
Her ship F*#$!ING CRASHED?!  How badly was I playing?!
^My little freak-out after beating Mother Brain for the first time.  This game is nostalgic perfection.  A classic title polished, reimagined, and featuring the most kickass soundtrack to ever come out of the GBA.  And the game doesn't end with Mother Brain, the Chozodia segment was orgasmic.  Varying ending artwork provides incentives to try multiple runs of different styles.  And if all of that isn't enough, the NES original is included as well.  There is NO REASON this game shouldn't be part of every GBA library.

4. ActRaiser 2 (SNES)
The lesson of Tortoise Island: God, like MegaMan, can handle anything but spikes.
Hard as all blazing hell, and yet somehow more than enough fun to justify it.  Even if the simulations are gone, the expansions to the platforming formula are plenty worth it.  The environments are lush and detailed, and the soundtrack is incredible.  Some pretty awesome easter-eggs via the password menu, as well.  Too bad the seven deadly sins were deemed too offensive for the U.S. market (I love this country, but it can really be a bunch of pansies sometimes).  I'm still wondering who thought that the name "Doom" would fit a bling-bling dragon in a golden palace.

3. MegaMan Legends 2 (PS1)
Something tells me that if Trigger ever gets a gift for Tron, it'll be clothing that burns quickly.
Extremely polished visuals for their time, lovable cast, air-tight gameplay, music of epicness, and plenty of funny moments.  What can you possibly not love about this game?

2. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)
HIGH ITEMS, BOB-OMBS ONLY, SUPER SUDDEN DEATH!
I am probably the only tourneyfag-hater that still yearns for Melee after playing Brawl.  And why?  Because I MISS MY MEWTWO!!!

1. MegaMan Xtreme 2 (GBC)
I'd like to express my thanks to Iris, if you know what I mean.
This game is everything a MegaMan game should be.  The finest soundtrack to come out of the GBC, the first and most seamless use of the scramble change, two bosses that emphasize teamwork between X and Zero, and the most badass Ultimate Buster you've ever pointed at a Maverick.  Considering the limited hardware, what they did with it was incredible beyond any level my verbal skills permit me to express.  And oh yeah, Iris is there too. 8)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline RockmanHalo

• Just a regular Cleveland...
  • Net Navi
  • Polackman
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 01:34:24 AM
15. Call of Duty 4 (2007, 360/PS3)
What kind of a name is Soap?
As much as I wanted to hate COD4, I couldn't. I might just be partial because of the nukes, but campaign was a blast; [eyebrow] ; and the multiplayer is great. I'm not a huge fan of class-based FPSs, but COD4 seems to make it not as broken.

14. Mario Golf: Advance Tour (2003, GBA)
CHIP-IN!
I really don't know how to go into detail about why it was a good game, I just know it is. I mean, I love golf, and the gameplay was spot on and the RPG stuff was fun.

13. Cyber Sled (199X, Arcade/PSX)
Whir...Whir...BLAM
Hell Yes. I know it wasn't exactly perfect, but it appealed to me. There is little trace of this game on the interwebs.

12. Megaman 4 (1993?, NES)
NO! IMMA BREAK YOU MEGAMAN!
This was the game that got me hooked on Megaman. It was highly enjoyable, spanning so many levels, and the soundtrack, gameplay; all near-perfect. I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said.

11. Megaman Legend's. (1997/2001?, PSX)
Juno! Juno! Juno!
Again, another classic. I loved these games, from kicking the can to kicking Roll to kicking rabbits, and finally, kicking ass. Seeing a blue-teenager expel a giant fireball from a cannon attached instead of an arm...just blew my mind. It still does. Does switching weapons hurt?

10. NHL '95 (1994, SNES/GEN/PC)
What the [tornado fang] did the puck just do?
This really has no place on any top 10, but I still consider this a magical game. I loved playing it with friends, by myself, watching. I couldn't get enough. It wasn't without its flaws, but when witnessed the humor factor well made up for it.

9. Super Mario World (1995?, SNES)
I do WHAT with this dinosaur?
Not much to say. I loved this highly enjoyable game, and thoroughly destroyed my copy in my youth. Sad.

8. WipEout (1997?, PSX/MS-DOS)
What the hell happened to F-Zero?
I thought that WipEout was an F-Zero clone when I saw it, but oh, was it so much more. Tight gameplay, awesome soundtrack, and decent graphics made it a favorite.

7.Power Stone (2002-2006?, DCN/Arcade)
Oh noo!
Oh yeah. Melee style combat, in glorious 3D. PowerStone proves only pussies need block buttons.

6. Vectorman (1996?, GEN)
He's made of balls. Just go with it
Yes. Vectorman, Yes. I wish I could shoot bolos as well as you do.

5. Metal Gear Solids (1997-2008, PSX-PS3)
The back of the CD-Case!
I shouldn't have to explain these.

4. Fallout Series  (1995-2008, [1-2, PC; 3, 360/PC]
Vault Secure!
These games rock. Steampunk, Sci-Fi, post-apocolyptia at it's best. The story is sweet, the world is immersive, the gore is brutal, and the humor is black. These are all worth playing, and remain special to me.

3. Megaman Battle Network (2001?-2006, GBA)
Seriously, "jack in"?
Oh yeah. The "collect 'em all" IP done Megaman style. It was a blast seeing all the homages, and the games were (pretty much) awesome. Don't tell me you can't love the characters, huh. Megaman.EXE 2 is my personal fav

2. Sonic Adventure (1999, DC)
Chaaaaarrgee!...........................................................GO!
Oh yeah. This game was a true launch title. More epicness in platforming, and music ever. E-101, we'll miss you. And your brother made of Dreamcasts, even though he was probably more useful.

1. Halo (2001-2007, Xbox, Xbox360)
Wait, we had two hands, how come we couldn't dual wield before?
I guess we just never thought of it....

While hated by most, you'd have to be crazy to dispute the series awesomeness. Tight controls, above-average story, memorable events, awesome campaign, near perfect multi-player...the list goes on and on. Hell Yeah, Halo. Hell Yeah.

Stuff that will find a place later

NFL Blitz (1997, PSX, Arcade)
Are people supposed to bend like that?
Who didn't like this game? At least with friends, it was grand. The level of "over-the-topness" made me happy, and gave me headaches after every game.

Sonic Shuffle (2003?, DC)
It's in the cards...
This game taught me that AI sucks. You need every chance you can get in this game,  and it shines. Probably the only game I know that makes practical use of the VMU.

Kirby Superstar (1996?, SNES)
Fighter Kirby? [tornado fang] Yeah!
[tornado fang] Yeah.

Streets of Rage 2 (1996?, GEN)
Max, stop touching her. That's not a choke hold, damn it.
Yeah. Skate will [tornado fang] you up.

Talk. Fast.