• View Profile
Reply #100 on: March 04, 2009, 02:22:34 PM
My problem still not solved... but oh well... >.>

Offline pyromonki12

• Net Navi
  • Just Jump On It!
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: March 30, 2009, 06:29:55 AM
Okay, I have a weird problem that just is flat out pissing me off.
I come home, and install windows XP service pack 3 (since windows kept harping me to do a system update.)

Upon installing it, my drivers don't work, and I get 10 error messages talking about programs not working.
To make matters worse, when I try to system restore, my computer will go through and restart, but say the restore didn't work due to a system shut down.

I have not downloaded anything for the past 3 days, I've restarted by computer multiple times before I left home, no problems. When SP3 hits, BOOM! My computers screwed. Is there anyway I can fix this without doing another hard drive wipe? Also, when I click the turn off computer option, nothing happens. just a side bit of info. :/

thanks for the help, pyromonki.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: April 01, 2009, 12:26:07 PM
Service Pack 3 is a HUGE improvement in the inner workings of XP. If your software doesn't work, it's more than probably outdated, so get yourself moving and update your drivers for EVERY single device in your computer, and get up-to-date versions of any software you've been using. I've been using SP3 for about a year now and if anything, it's made my day-to-day maintenance work and general performance a definite boost.

Also, run a decent antivirus software (Avira's good, www.free-av.com) and make sure its virus database is fully updated. You might have your machine chock full of crap and be unfairly judging SP3 as being responsible for it.

Offline RockmanHalo

• Just a regular Cleveland...
  • Net Navi
  • Polackman
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: April 11, 2009, 05:13:45 PM
I've got a fun one for you tech savvy peoples.
My dad's PC (An HP Pavillion Windows 98, purchased Dec. 98) has been running slow as hell lately, even more so than usual. So I decide to re-format the disk. Windows 98 was successfully put back on, and eventually I got my router working.

So, I naturally want to get on to the interwebz and get Firefox right away...
But It says that
"an error has occured in the script on this page"
With line info, character info, reason (some hilarious ones like "expected j") and a code, which is usually 0. So I have to sit and hold the enter button for every page I visit; is there a way around this? I'm guessing that this is because I don't have anywhere near a usuable IE. Also, I can't seem to get to a Firefox that works for Windows (due to the script stuff; IE keeps crashing.)

Secondly, is there any way I can get the 98 updates any more? The link on my desktop takes me to a broken link. Google only yields 98 SE stuff, and that's not my OS.

Thanks in advance, guys

Talk. Fast.

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: April 11, 2009, 06:40:52 PM
Buy a new computer.

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: April 12, 2009, 05:30:43 AM
Ditch 98, dude. If anything, get yourself a copy of Win2k. It runs on almost the exact same requirements as 98 and is MUCH more stable and reliable.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: April 12, 2009, 07:13:21 AM
Ok, not exactly a problem, but figured it should go here anyways.

What's a good program to record my PC and stream it in places like JTV? Or at least a good free recording program.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #107 on: April 12, 2009, 03:10:09 PM
For streaming on any site (Justin.tv, Mogulus, ustream, etc):

1. Download and install Flash Media Live Encoder (FMLE) from:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/flashmediaencoder

2. Download your config file and save it to your desktop:
* FMLE 2.5: http://www.justin.tv//fme_config.xml
* FMLE 3.0: http://www.justin.tv//fme3_config.xml

3. Open Flash Media Live Encoder, and under the File menu, choose 'Open Profile' and select the xml file you just downloaded. Choose a camera and microphone from their respective drop-down boxes.

4. Press the green 'Start' button to begin broadcasting. Once the software has connected, you can load your Justin.tv channel page (e.g. http://justin.tv/justin) to check if you are broadcasting.

I personally recommend FME 2.5, so download the first xml file.
You MUST be logged in before you download the xml file, so that you load your correct settings for justin.tv and later be able to broadcast.

To record AVI Video files (upload to youtube, nico video, veoh, dailymotion, etc):

I use VirtualDubMod. I run it, then I go to File > Capture AVI, and everything should be available for you there. Your recording device should be connected by now, and will be detected by VDM. On the bottom corner of the Capture Mode for VirtualDubMod, set the sound to 44K/16/s, and the framerate should be about 29,97 fps, 30 fps, or whatever it is your device can support. If it can handle 60 fps, then why not try it out?

Now click on Capture > Settings, make sure that only the Escape key is turned on for Abort Hotkeys. No other key or actions will interrupt with your recording when you have this settings, so you can freely walk around the internet while still recording (as long as you don't turn off VirtualDubMod). Now press OK, and head to Capture > Preferences, click on the checkboxes for "Save current capture/video/audio settings/format as default" (all 3 of them) and click OK. Your exact settings has been saved now for next time you start VirtualDubMod.

When you record with VirtualDubMod, and you find out that sound doesn't get recorded properly, make sure you have Audacity running in the background too. On Audacity, click Edit > Preferences. Recording device should be the one you're using for video recording. Turning on Software Playthrough is up to you, but it will play the sound on the PC if you turn it off, so it might be a good idea to make sure sound is recorded to the AVI file while you record with VirtualDubMod. The codecs you can use for VirtualDubMod is "Uncompressed RGB" or "X-Vid MPEG-4 Codec" (set X-Vid to the bitrate you want). I hope that helped.

Lastly, to record your screen, my personal favorite (as proven on the Rockman 8 Sega Saturn video on RPM Front Page Theme Week), is Camtasia Recorder that's included with Camtasia Studio. The version I use is 4.0, but there's newer ones way up to 6 now. Anyway, it's not a free tool, but you can "find" it somewhere, especially one version where the key/serial is already saved inside the installation.

Moving on, open Camtasia Recorder, go to Tools > Options. On Capture tab, select Save as AVI, and click the File Name Options button. Choose Automatic File Name and the output folder should be somewhere you can reach your AVI files. I use Desktop. I also turned off "Show toolbar underneath capture rectangle during recording" but that's up to you.

Go to Audio tab, and set the audio codec you want. If you have "MPEG Layer 3 (LAME)" available, then that will save you some time, so you don't have to use WAV>MP3 compression. Choose the bitrate you want too, and preferably 44100Hz 16 bit Stereo sound (either LAME or PCM codec doesn't matter). Accept all those audio settings and go to Hotkeys tab. Select the hotkeys you want for recording and stopping. I change recording from F9 to F8, because F9 interferes when I record PSP games with remotejoylite. Go to the Program tab and turn off everything there.

Now the important part, the video quality. Click the Video tab, choose Manual video configuration, screen capture framerate should be 60 or 30 fps (depends on which you prefer. I stick with 60 fps though). Click Video Compression button, and click Configure for Tech Smith Screen Capture Codec. Drag the bar all the way to the left (Faster Compression) and click OK. This will record your videos in (pixel-perfect?) PNG quality. Double-check that the frame rate stays at 60 fps and then press OK.

Now on the main window, you can press Capture > Wizard to make your last screen-capture settings. Select the region, window or anything you want to record, then press Next a couple of times, and don't forget to turn on "Record Audio" and "Speaker Audio (what you hear)" along the way. Now you can record whenever you want to, by pressing F8 and stop with F10.

To live-stream your screen-captures (an emulator or something), I use WebCamMax. It takes a lot more things to setup with it, but when you have made your settings (and some frame rate settings in the Options/Preferences/whatever too), you can now use WebCamMax with Flash Media Encoder, as a Video Codec. The Audio Codec for FME should be the one you use, anything that isn't the Microphone.

I'm sure there are other screen-capture tools out there, but if you have a very dependable PC, these are all you need and does the job just fine. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline IHZ

• Net Navi
  • SHOOOSH
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: April 12, 2009, 07:55:56 PM
I recently pruchased a video card for my PC so that I can finally play games, my Pc is Asus Dual Core 2.5 Ghz of core memory with Windows Xp. I purchased an Asus EAH3450 HDMI Video Card with PCI connectors. So I plug the card, plug the wires, install all the drivers then SUDDENLY! MY screen just....shut down, there's no image on my screen anymore, so I reboot and after I try to run a MMO I downloaded, Windows advise me through a blue screen I haven't seen in years that it had to shut down Windows because my Video card corrupt some of my FAt32 operations, the reason is that my videocard is blocked by an infinite loop probably due to the drivers not having been installed proprerly, I have noticed some troubles while installing the drivers, like some drivers trying 3 or 4 times to install before they finally suceed and my screen resolution being out of the ordinary, meaning that even with adjustments, everything is out of proportion and the colors are slightly [tornado fang]'d up. So I simply unplugged the card, put it back into it's box with all the drivers and the receipt and am about to go back to the shop I bought it from for a refund. but since I am planning to try to buy another one, becaus eI really need one, I'd like to know what the problem is, if someone could tell me, because I don't want ending up buying 10 different videocards before finding one that fits my computer and I especially don'T want to send my PC there so that they can charge me an awesome ammount of cash for a computer check up I probably don't even need, I physically checked for any corruption and problems that may have been caused by the card, everything is fine, I simply located a few infected files that I have put into quarrantine for now. so anyways, if someone can help me, please tell me.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: April 13, 2009, 12:39:31 AM
1. Virus quarantines are nothing but a myth. If something's infected, DELETE it, period.
2. You need to UNINSTALL the drivers from the previous card (i.e. the built-in video card) before installing those of the add-on card.
3. The computer specification you give us tells us NOTHING. Asus is merely a board manufacturer, and does not make processor units; Intel and AMD do, and being a 2.5GHz Dual Core refers to your processor capabilities. You need to tell us the exact make and model of the computer, or we won't be able to help you.

Offline IHZ

• Net Navi
  • SHOOOSH
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: April 13, 2009, 02:53:05 AM
The computer didn't have a video card to begin with, si no drivers were installed before.

However, if you would be able to help me on how to check my computer's Specs it would be kind.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: April 13, 2009, 11:02:53 AM
Was it pre-built manufacturer machine (Dell, Lenovo, HP, Compaq, etc.) or did you/your peers build it? Without that information, I can't do anything. If it was a pre-built, I need the actual machine name and model, which you should know, because these things are NOT usually in plain view on desktop machines (only on laptops).

Offline IHZ

• Net Navi
  • SHOOOSH
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: April 13, 2009, 08:06:06 PM
I didn't notice the Model's Sticker on the front before, well now I did, it's an Intel Core 2 Duo.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: April 13, 2009, 10:03:27 PM
Limewire isn't recognizing my java runtime environment, keeps telling me to update it which I've done like 10 times now. It worked fine before my computer crashed. Help.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: April 14, 2009, 12:16:02 AM
I didn't notice the Model's Sticker on the front before, well now I did, it's an Intel Core 2 Duo.

Intel Core 2 Duo is the PROCESSOR model, not the COMPUTER model. A COMPUTER model would be, among the Dell desktops, the Optiplex line of models (Optiplex 260, Optiplex 280, Optiplex 620), or, among their laptops, the Inspiron line of models (of which I'm too lazy to look up numbers). If you don't get me THAT, I (nor anyone else here) cannot help you.

I'm sorry if you're really trying to help us help you, but it feels almost like you're making it more difficult on purpose.

Offline IHZ

• Net Navi
  • SHOOOSH
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: April 14, 2009, 12:36:00 AM
Well I'm seriously sorry but I have absolutely no idea what the CPU model is, I'm trying to find my recieve to look it up, but I doubt it's there either. I worked in a computer shop for a while, but much more like an assistant than an actual technician so my knowledge is very very limited, so yeah sorry  if I seem to do it on purpose, I'm going to come back with my problem once I find my Computer model.

But just by curiosity, do you think I can look it up by checking in the BIOS?

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: April 14, 2009, 12:42:32 AM
yeah that should work. if you have a camera, get a picture of the main screen.

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: April 14, 2009, 01:04:31 AM
Did you check your PSU (Power Supply Unit) can handle the video card? A 3450 doesn't sound like a powerhog, but you might have some really bad one.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: April 14, 2009, 02:50:40 AM
Okay I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but this thing called Spy Protect 2009 is is showing up, and I don't know how it got there and because it's there I can't go to You Tube so I'm wondering if Spy Protect 2009 is a legitiment virus protection software or is it just a fake?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #119 on: April 14, 2009, 02:53:10 AM
Whatever it is, I don't recommend it (I haven't used it myself though).

You should use AVG instead. That or nothing. o.o

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: April 14, 2009, 02:55:07 AM
Whatever it is, I don't recommend it (I haven't used it myself though).

You should use AVG instead. That or nothing. o.o
Okay but let me ask my brother the next time he comes home to see what he recommends.

Offline IHZ

• Net Navi
  • SHOOOSH
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: April 14, 2009, 03:04:49 AM
Do you think you could have installed it when installing another program, sometimes, drivers comes with other optional crap like anti-spywares or half assed Virus-scanners. You could have installed it without really knowing.

But if it's the case, it's probably a very bad anti spyware, so just uninstal it and take another Anti-Virus, like Vixy said, AVG is very good, Avast is also another good choice.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: April 14, 2009, 03:05:25 AM
That Spy Protect 2009 thing is a malicious program, Sakura, probably delivered through a trojan horse somehow, and I would strongly recommend you get rid of it ASAP.

Removal instrucitons here:

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-spyware-protection-2009.html

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: April 14, 2009, 03:07:39 AM
Yeah I just did it showed up like an hour or half a hour ago I kept on trying to get rid of it but nothing worked but then I tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete and finally got rid of it but I hope I wasn't too late and I still can't go to Youtube.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: April 14, 2009, 03:11:42 AM
Check that link in my post, or this one http://www.spywarevoid.com/spyware-protect-2009.html

Both will tell you how to remove it for good.  The second link is more thorough.

Alternately, you could download some real anti-spyware programs and let them take care of it (you'll find some at this link): http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081228121147AA0EvY0

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.