BREAKING! Nintendo buys Sora Ltd.; Masahiro "Man-God" Sakurai Hints at New IPs

Jericho · 7385

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
I'm sure they're will be others hiring in the future, Jelly!
Wouldn't you have to go back in time and be born Japanese, first?

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Well, of course not NOW, it's too soon.  But do you honestly believe that whenever Smash4 rolls around, years from now, that even if Sakurai maintains close ties with Nintendo he won't be involved?  He was already a freelancer when Brawl was announced, for crying out loud.  Iwata just wanted him on board that damn badly (lazy development threats).

Tell me you don't see the same thing happening if Sakurai is still under Nintendo's wing whenever they decide that they want to make a Smash4.

Well, let's put it this way:

Sakurai officially left HAL in 2003. Did that stop HAL and Ninty from putting out more Kirby games, without him on board? Certainly not. Hell, even some of the Kirby games that were crafted while he was STILL at HAL did not have his input at all (Kirby 64, KDL2 and KDL3 being among them).

So, I'm thinking that, with the position that Sakurai has now, it's not like he has that much more of a mandate to work on another Smash game, whenever that time may come, any more than he has one to work on another Kirby game. For all we know, he may not even be that interested in doing sequels. After all, if he was willing to let others do whatever the hell they wanted with Kirby, I'm sure Smash could follow suit, be it for good or ill.

Sakurai is well on the right track to being prepped up as the "New Miyamoto for a New Era!" that Ninty has probably needed for quite a while (I love Miyamoto as much the next N-fan, but really, we need a new flavor in the Kool-aid mix). This new deal, which just gives him more power, is only testament to what is probably inevitable. In that same light, if he's going to be just that, he may be able to afford to say "I don't necessarily want to be a part of this project [new Smash], but I give my blessing to all those involved! I'm just too busy with my own stuff!  8D"

If that ends up being what happens, I would not be at all surprised. If Sakurai is at all serious about how he wants to focus on new IPs, that would do more to entail that he can't afford to "look back" to the likes of Kirby and Smash. Let others handle that.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
(I love Miyamoto as much the next N-fan, but really, we need a new flavor in the Kool-aid mix).

This just in, Nintendo announces new Ecto Cooler game coming to Wii Ware in July!   8D

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. Wait. Nintendo bought Sora Ltd.? In the words of Jim Carrey:

"REALLY?! EWWWWWWW!!!"

See ladies and gentlemen, this is why you don't tick off your creative minds, because you'll pay for it later. I'll bet Sora, Ltd. looked at the economy, the piracy, and the prospects of being a new developer and said "This is just too risky, let's go back."

Which is a smart decision.

Offline shinobigoomba

• Net Navi
    • View Profile

(laughs)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Item > Max Revive. Thread was fully revived!

Now then, remember earlier this year that news had broken out on Nintendo's acquisition of Sakurai and Sora Ltd.? Well in typical Sakurai blog fashion, he has seen to showing off his swanky new pad via a series of picture post updates on the main site. Things to note include:

- Those funky looking PCs at each desk (Wii HD development, is that you? 8D)
- The game room. Sakurai is hardcore confirmed. XD
- The building itself which was only just finished.
- The view from the building windows. I really like it for some reason. XD

Silly things aside, it's pretty nice to see what's been going on since this team was set up. Here hoping more interesting info breaks soon enough.

Posted on: July 14, 2009, 22:37:07
I demand Kirby Wii first. [tornado fang]ing HAL, get with the program already! XD

Offline Sparky

• Игра закончена
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I demand Kirby Wii first. [tornado fang]ing HAL, get with the program already! XD

I think they used Kirby Wii's engine to make Subspace Emissary, didn't they?

(And sorry for removing my post. I didn't know this thread was revived. >_>)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile

In the end, unless Sakurai's involved, it's not technically "his problem". Dunno why this game has been held back as long as it has now; we're long past the point of the game possibly being overshadowed by Smash.

But in any case, good for Sakurai. Now, get to work, dammit! And honestly, it would be interesting if say, his team and PlatGames ever got together. Imagine what the likes of Hideki Kamiya (DMC, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, and now, Bayonetta) and Sakurai could craft together.   >0< >0< >0<

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Ben, why did you do that to me? Now I want it and I know it won't happen. XD

I think they used Kirby Wii's engine to make Subspace Emissary, didn't they?

Yeah I think it was something like this. The Melee engine was used to make the GCN Kirby prototype, then the Melee engine was fine tuned for Brawl and should be indicative of what the Kirby Wii engine should be.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Well, that's quite a nice view Sakurai has there. Also, I see he's a hardcore fighting gamer *approves*

Ben, why did you do that to me? Now I want it and I know it won't happen. XD

This XD

]I demand Kirby Wii first. [tornado fang]ing HAL, get with the program already! XD

Oh, and this.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
it would be interesting if say, his team and PlatGames ever got together.

Ben, shut the [tornado fang] up.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Sparky

• Игра закончена
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Yeah I think it was something like this. The Melee engine was used to make the GCN Kirby prototype, then the Melee engine was fine tuned for Brawl and should be indicative of what the Kirby Wii engine should be.

No, what I'm saying is that I thought that the Kirby Wii engine itself was used for Brawl, not the other way around.