BREAKING! Nintendo buys Sora Ltd.; Masahiro "Man-God" Sakurai Hints at New IPs

Jericho · 7386

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
*Fanboy Mode On*

HOLY [tornado fang]ing [parasitic bomb]. This is the kind of news I missed in the gaming world for so long!

*Fanboy Mode Off*

Ahem... As many of you might (you [tornado fang]ing should if you don't) know, Masahiro Sakurai of the freelance game developer company known as Sora along with a few other notable people (Game Arts, Nintendo EAD, etc.) were the ones responsible for my most played game of the generation thus far, namely Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

[Silly Jelly note: After reading the news and trying to create this post, I honestly had a lapse for a second here and didn't know how to word things eloquently here. It was just that big to me. XD]

In a late night conference last night, Iwata formally bought out a sizeable amount of the company (72%). It would seems that Iwata's friendship with the guy was all that was needed in order for him to be brought back into the Nintendo fold. This also means that Sakurai, creator of the Kirby series, Smash Bros. series & Meteos is BACK at Nintendo permanently with full autonomy over the content and games that he and his company want to make. In short, this is the news of the forever for me.

I can't even think straight enough too make the opening post all formal so I'll just leave this here:

And links:

Nintendo JP Corporate Page
Project Sora Main Page

And as if this announcement wasn't amazing enough, here comes the part that sent my hype into orbit:

Quote from: Translated from Kotaku
About this project the new company is working on, Satoru Iwata assured that it's not another Smash Bros. game, saying, "It's not Smash Bros. I asked for." Sakurai added, "I can promise an experience that's different from anything [you've played] up until now."

Kotaku Article

In short: GET HYPE SON. XD

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
i had no idea Sora was freelance...

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Sora is the chose of the Keyblade.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
i had no idea Sora was freelance...

Really? That was pretty well known for a while. It was all because old Nintendo did something to Kirby Air Ride that kinda sat badly with Sakurai. (It was supposed to be his most ambitious Kirby project and even though he was kinda tired of working on the one IP for so long, he still wanted to give it his best. I think someone more knowledgeable could fill in the minors here.) He then left Nintendo for a bit seeking his own development path and founded Sora at the same time. Recently though, Iwata, who was like his right hand guy, noted how he thought that Sakurai had a profound impression within Nintendo and brought him back giving him full freedom to create any kind of game he so chose, something Sakurai always wanted within Nintendo.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Sora means Sky~

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I see nothing but good things coming from this. 

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile

Did you not see my use of ebonics in the first post? XD

I expect and guarantee it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Jelly, I'm just going to imagine that basically, your E3 Nintendo conf. is set to the highest level of anticipation right now!   8D

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Jelly, I'm just going to imagine that basically, your E3 Nintendo conf. is set to the highest level of anticipation right now!   8D

Do not be surprised if I either keep a straight professional face all the way through or froth uncontrollably at the mouth over the internet. I'm prepared for a good and bad conference simultaniously and will switch between the two whenever necessary.

However, pray for my heart if anything regarding StarTropics, Star Fox Wii, or the next Smash comes up. Seriously. XD

EDIT - I am so pissed off right now. Sora is hiring for crying out loud. It's a personal dream of mine to be doing Game Design or Animation/Art. Even more so for Nintendo... And they're hiring... [tornado fang]. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I'm sure they're will be others hiring in the future, Jelly!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Yeah, that was meant as more of a fun note than anything serious though.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile

^ This god damn it!

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile

Thirded

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 11:01:21 PM
Courtesy of Hero of Legend on GAF:

From what I understand, Nintendo and Sora, two separate companies, together made a new company called Project Sora to be a Nintendo-owned company.

I suppose Nintendo doesn't just own Sora since it only consists of Sakurai and one other unnamed person.

I guess Sakurai just wanted to keep the name himself as a sort of... well... something he can completely call his own?

I guess it was never a company, it was only literally, tied to Sakurai himself; Sakurai = Sora. Like that.

But Project Sora is going to be a complete game development company.

That's how I see this.

And it showed that Nintendo spent $200M Yen to own 72% of Project Sora, I guess that wanted to keep track of how much they spent (as the number seems to be a straight 200M Yen) versus taking in a certain fraction/percentage of the company, like 75% or 80% like the amount of Monolith they own.

Strange, especially as didn't Nintendo and Sakurai create the company? You're only paying for the name, and the work environment, they make it sound like Nintendo just bought out a previously unheard of company.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Except for the fact that it dooms Luigi to once again play the village idiot whenever Smash Bros. Bitchslap rolls around. -_-

But besides that, yeah, this is cool.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Maybe Kirby Wii won't be stuck in Development Hell anymore!  8)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Except for the fact that it dooms Luigi to once again play the village idiot whenever Smash Bros. Bitchslap rolls around. -_-

But besides that, yeah, this is cool.

Maybe Kirby Wii won't be stuck in Development Hell anymore!  8)

Again, Sakurai has already gone on to say that, whatever his new project is, it will NOT be "Smash 4/Bitchslap". It probably won't be Kirby Wii, either (even though I WANT that game so badly).

Part of the reason Sakurai had a bit of a falling out with HAL/Nintendo, was because there was a definite thing of being shoe-horned into doing more sequels, not having as much creative control as one would like and being able to develop new IPs.

So, with this new arrangement, he finally gets to have what he's always wanted (being able to craft new IPs), while still being on Nintendo payroll, and close to his best bud, Iwata.

This is basically like Nintendo getting their own version of Clover Studios, more or less. I look forward to seeing what E3 and beyond have to offer...

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
This is basically like Nintendo getting their own version of Clover Studios, more or less. I look forward to seeing what E3 and beyond have to offer...

Project Sora + Platinum Games + EAD Tokyo mashup. It will melt faces and produce a simultaneous worldwide "Mega Man 9 Effect" for the few show floor days that are E3. XD

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
This news contains win.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Again, Sakurai has already gone on to say that, whatever his new project is, it will NOT be "Smash 4/Bitchslap". It probably won't be Kirby Wii, either (even though I WANT that game so badly).
Well, of course not NOW, it's too soon.  But do you honestly believe that whenever Smash4 rolls around, years from now, that even if Sakurai maintains close ties with Nintendo he won't be involved?  He was already a freelancer when Brawl was announced, for crying out loud.  Iwata just wanted him on board that damn badly (lazy development threats).

Tell me you don't see the same thing happening if Sakurai is still under Nintendo's wing whenever they decide that they want to make a Smash4.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Oh there will be a new Smash Bros. game. In 10 years or so.

But the roster should be bigger. I mean... don't kick anyone out, just add more.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Of course Sakurai's gonna work on Smash 4 eventually. That was given regardless of him being a part of the company or not. Remember Iwata clearly stating that only he [Sakurai] knew what Smash was?

What we should be wondering about is what kind of direction it'll go in when the time comes around again.

Oh there will be a new Smash Bros. game. In 10 years or so.

But the roster should be bigger. I mean... don't kick anyone out, just add more.

Yup.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
to be painfully honest here, i don't see this bit of news as a big deal at all. just because Sakurai's making something new with Ninty? i'm not going to get excited over something i know nothing about. it's stupid to do such a thing, actually.

or maybe everyone else here is just a Cherry fanboy.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
It's called

"optimism"

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
implying that i'm pessimistic?

no. i just think it's a little early to celebrate.