About Asian Rockman/Mega Man PC releases...

OMorty · 9012

Offline OMorty

• Prince of Rad
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: July 24, 2012, 05:13:52 AM
So, I was browsing eBay today, when suddenly I ran into this badboy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320940419003

Its a Korean two-pack of Mega Man X5 & X6 for the PC. From what I could gather, the PC version of X6 was released exclusively in South Korea by KoKoCapcom (Capcom's South Korean subsidiary). However, I can find next to no info about it online other than the occasional reference here and there. However, the South Korea-exclusive PC port of X7 receives much more attention. English and Spanish translation patches exist, pirated copies are easy to run into, etc.

Also, take a look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251053362928?

Supposedly, this is a two-pack of Mega Man X & X2 for the PC. It has the KoKoCapcom logo on it and everything, but I doubt its legitimacy, seeing as next to no English-language websites even acknowledge its existence. As far as I know, X was ported to MS-DOS (rather horribly), and X2 was SNES/SFC exclusive. I tried to do more research, but all I could come up with were links to South Korean blogs that blocked me due to regional restrictions, and a link to KoKoCapcom's website. The website is no longer functional, so I assume they closed their doors sometime in the past few years.

So, what do you guys think of this? Why is that I can find next to nothing about X6 on PC, but plenty about X7? Do you think the latter item is a bootleg that is simply a SNES emulator with the roms bundled with it? I also would like to know why Dash 2/Legends 2 on PC is such a rare beast (I know its an old topic on here, but still), and if there is any other Rockman/Mega Man-related PC titles that not many people know about (stuff other than Rockman Strategy, mainly).

Input from people that currently live/have lived in Asian countries such as Japan, China, and South Korea would be much appreciated!

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:32:30 AM
Geemel and Z-series Zero are on the back of that X5~6 box, so I doubt the legitimacy of it.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:28:58 AM
and theres a pic of Zero i dont recognize as official artwork

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OMorty

• Prince of Rad
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 08:22:53 AM
Yeah, I doubt the legitimacy of both those items, seeing as knock-offs are easy to come across in that part of the world (PC games even more so). I may buy that X5~X6 bundle though, seeing as 1.) I'm curious to see if the included copies of X6 are either a port or a ROM/emulator combo, and 2.) it'll only cost me around 12 USD. $20 for that X1/X2 pack is too much for what may be two roms and an emulator, though...

Also, the seller of the first item seems to be well-liked, seeing as they have a 100% positive feedback rating. Adding to that, many of their customers purchased working PC copies of X7 and X8, so I still have some hope that the seller's copies of X6 are copies of the PC port.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:40:55 PM
and theres a pic of Zero i dont recognize as official artwork

Which? The ride chaser one? It's from Xtreme 2 if so.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline shadowman

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 02:51:07 PM
I've picked up pretty much all the Asian/Korean PC releases I've managed to find over the years for the sake of my collection (I mainly just like the boxes, some of them are presented quite nicely!)

X1-X2 and the Power Battle/Fighters releases are roms packaged with emulators (Snes emu & Snes roms for the X games, MAME emu and roms for the Power Battle/Fighters). In the case of the Power Battle/Fighters 2 pack the game has a barebones front end that lets you choose which game you want to play, then boots up the emulator and roms.

The rest of the games I've tried appear to be PC releases (X3 and up). They all have the normal install/setup processes as the official PC releases and do not appear to be Playstation games emuated from what I've found.

X6 is a tricky one, I've got several different asian PC releases of that including this:

Which has an EA (eletronic Arts) hologram on the box, its the most "official" looking of the releases I have. Still, it seems rather random/odd that EA would be releasing Megaman games on the PC in Asia but who knows...

Then there is the Korean one:
If its the sellers I think yu mean then I'm guessing its this one for sale? I've not personally got round to trying my copy but if you let me know which X6 it is I can check my copyand let you know whether it seems like a PC version or just the Playstation version emulated.
I've got a couple of other odd X6 PC releases as well - A nice big box version with nice art and a big manual as well as a DVD case sized release that seems to have been bundled with a graphics card in Asia by the looks of things(though I've ony got the game, not the entire gfx card bundle)

Offline OMorty

• Prince of Rad
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 06:08:51 PM
Cool stuff! I figured that the X1/X2 pack was simply a rom-and-emulator bundle, haha. I also heard of the Battle & Fighters release on Mechanical Maniacs. The seller of the X5/X6 bundle is selling that as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320940359209

Although that is not the exact version of X6 I linked to, there is another seller I found that sells that (Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320940359209). The one I spoke of the original post is probably as legitimate as the version you own. I would greatly appreciate it if you could check if your copy is a legit port or not!

Also, would this picture be of the big box version you speak of?

Oh, and here's another question that crossed my mind: why is that KoKoCapcom just couldn't decide if they were gonna market the Mega Man/Rockman series as Mega Man or Rockman? On the few photos of KoKoCapcom releases I've seen, some boxes have the Mega Man name, while others bear the Rockman one. Either some releases are straight-up counterfeit (which wouldn't surprise me), or KoKoCapcom was incredibly indecisive.

Offline shadowman

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:29:35 PM
OK, I checked the X6 disc and its the PC version no doubt - it goes through a proper install like all PC games and when you boot up the game on the start screen it says "Press Enter" like the PC game should, as opposed to "press start" like the console versions would. It also worked first time on Windows 7, surprising in itself compared to so many other old PC games I've tried to get working on Windows 7!

The Big box X6 I was thinking of is in this picture (Top Right):

Out of interest, where did you get the above picture from? I've never come across either of those X6 or Legends games in the wild before (I think I saw them on Mechanical Maniacs though). I'd love to track them down to add to my collection!

I'm not sure what's going on with Koko Capcom either, the naming is somewhat random at best, as is the art they use for some of their releases!

Offline OMorty

• Prince of Rad
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 04:14:49 AM
I got the picture from here: http://cbs0926.egloos.com/2166812

I used Google Translate to see if I could make any sense of the text on the page (I do not know Korean, lol), but all I got was nonsense. I also ran into some screenshots of the PC version, and, hilariously enough, when the game is running in a window, the title bar reads something like "Rockman X6 for Win32".

Also, that big box release is definitely from China or Taiwan. (I say so because, from what I've seen, there seems to be a greater sense of consistency regarding the naming of Mega Man/Rockman titles over there.) The fact that big box releases of X6 made it to China and South Korea kinda surprises me, actually. Because most of the pictures/info I saw focused on the South Korean release, I assumed the PC port was exclusive to South Korea...

Anyway, what other noteworthy Asian Mega Man PC releases are out there? I know the PC version of Legends 2/DASH 2 was released in China, Taiwan, and Japan, and there have been a few Capcom-endorsed games developed by third party companies in China. Are there are any interesting photos/bits of info related to releases like that?

Offline shadowman

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 09:34:25 AM
I think it was just X7 that was South Korean exclusive from what I've read/seen. I think X6 did manage to get a slightly wider release in parts of Asia. Unfortunately I've still not managed to track down the big box release of X7, I got close once but just missed out :( Its really the last of the official big box PC releases I need for my collection.

Other nice/notable asian releases I've managed to track down:
(in the above picture in my last post) - The Rockman X4 big box comes with a full colour guide book which details all the levels, secrets etc. and includes full maps to the levels. The X8 comes with a 3rd CD which has a full video guide to the game including bonus/hidden areas which is a cool extra. And in both instances its more than we got for the official Japanese/European/USA PC releases for the games (where applicable)

Rockman Dash: To Save the World, Rockman Dash 2 and Rockman Gold Empire. Dash 2 is probably the nicest boxed PC game I own. I'd think its official, the art all seems to be of Dash 2 (unlike other Asian releases that use any art they can find!) and the overall quality of the box, full colour manual etc. beats out most of the official games I have in my collection. The other 2 games are two of the weird Asian exclusive licensed? games, Gold Empire is a weird monopoly/sim city combo and Dash is a weird edutainment game I believe. Neither are in great condition, I mainly grabbed them just because they are pretty tough to find now in the big box versions.

The other big Asian exclsuive games. IQ Challenge is another puzzle/educational game while Strategy is a full blown SRPG with brand new characters, bosses not to mention pretty much every robot master from MM1-8 shows up to fight. Its not a great game by any means but I still found it really fun and its a really cool collectable to have.
IQ has 3 different package variants I've come across so far. The biggest box release (far left), the smaller box release (middle) and a CD case release. I got both boxed versions sealed but neither had a manual, just the game and box. The CD only release though does have a manual. Not sure why that is. Strategy had two boxed versions, Again, a big box and a smaller box release. Both of those came with manuals though.

Re-releases of some of the Asian games, with odd new box art and smaller boxes. Dash to save the world and IQ challenge accompany Rockman X Math Tornado which is a Math based X game!

I've got a couple of other PC releases from Asia, but those are basically just X or Dash games in slightly different boxes that are fairly unremarkable compared to the above. Fake or real, its a nice part of my collectin and is one of the parts that I enjoy most when tracking down weird and wonderful new variants to add to my collection!

One last game that I almost forgot, this one I unfortunately don't own:

Its an official Capcom release this one, released in China . Its a Special/Limited edition PC release of Rockman X8 (it comes witha tacky looking watch). I've not manage to track down a couple for myself unfortunately, closest I came was Taobao which lists them sometimes but sellers never have them in stock.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 10:04:11 AM

Re-releases of some of the Asian games, with odd new box art and smaller boxes. Dash to save the world and IQ challenge accompany Rockman X Math Tornado which is a Math based X game!

The art on that DASH game looks like shitty US boxart.

Offline shadowman

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 10:27:34 AM
The art on that DASH game looks like shitty US boxart.

It does seem weird that while the other two use slightly altered art from their big box releases for whatever reason Dash gets the awful all new art. I wonder what posessed them to do that!

Offline OMorty

• Prince of Rad
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 09:37:07 PM
If that game was a legit game released by Capcom in the 1980s, that would probably be the US boxart, lol.

The fact that these Asia-exclusive PC releases are of varying/lower quality than bigger name Mega Man/Rockman games isn't surprising. Still, if I were to ever run into these games (be it online or on the internet), I would probably pick them up out of sheer curiosity. The fact that theses games even exist is kinda cool regardless!