The Kingdom Hearts Thread

VixyNyan · 390126

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1050 on: September 21, 2011, 01:24:08 PM
Wait, so officially pairing Sora with Kairi wouldn't count as "pandering to the het fans"?
I won't say anything of this "official" until we see them kiss or some crap. And until Sora stops blubbering over Riku every time he's able to.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1051 on: September 21, 2011, 01:38:20 PM
Well it is official that Sora's always liked Kairi, and that Riku has as well. It's a big love triangle.

But as for either of them actually DOING anything about it... nothing yet. :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1052 on: September 21, 2011, 03:01:13 PM
And until Sora stops blubbering over Riku every time he's able to.

Well, Riku's status had been unknown to Sora for a long time, whilst Kairi was safe at home (for the most part); I could see why Sora would've been more worried about Riku.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1053 on: September 21, 2011, 03:51:36 PM
Add on the fact that they've been friends probably since birth (I mean, Kairi didn't come to the islands until later; Sora and Riku have lived there for their entire lives)...

Posted on: September 21, 2011, 06:07:49 AM
About the story
  • Nomura drew the illustration featured at the TGS booth in a hurry. He drew the Dream Eaters that would be your companions.
  • Nomura drew the new outfits according to how the Osaka team wished. They’re like their older outfits with minor changes.
  • They are versions between KH1 and KH2, which become the outfits for this title.
  • Riku’s hair grew during the time he was away to show the passage of time, now his hair is cut immediately after that.
  • The “World Submerged in Sleep” is a complex story, but there were worlds other than those that Sora restored in KH1, some that were not submerged in darkness. Like the worlds of the princesses and Dumbo’s, etc. In the end of KH1 it was established that some of those worlds were restored, but not all of them. Those that were neither in light nor in darkness, but those that were submerged in sleep.
  • Since those worlds are essential asleep, the dreams of those worlds become the setting.
  • Sora and Riku will travel to those worlds to awaken them from their sleep.
  • When a world is awoken from it’s sleep, it will be restored to it’s original form.
  • This title involves taking an exam in order to qualify for the Mark of Mastery, so it’ll also be concerned with events that took place in BBS.
  • All the Disney worlds appearing wil be new, and there will be new areas in existing worlds.
  • Temporarily taking on their KH1 forms, they’ll enter into the worlds of sleep . Additionally, Yen Sid says that in order to become a Master, the self taught way that they use the Keyblade will be reset and that it is necessary they learn how to use the Keyblade appropriately from the beginning. When they request to take the exam, Sora says he doesn’t need it, but since Riku has been overwhelmed by darkness before he doesn’t have the self-confidence. Also, Sora and Riku will be taking it together.
  • The opening of this title will be in Xehanort’s point of view. Additionally, there will be a surprise unlike anything seen before in the last scene.
About Dream Eaters
  • The Dream Eaters do not approach anyone and consume dreams in the World of Sleep where there are no Heartless. If Sora/Riku don’t use the power of the Dream Eaters, they can’t go to the other worlds.
  • Their abilities too are related to the Dream Eaters.
  • The Dream Eaters were designed not to be traditionally cute, but to have charm that couldn’t be disliked.  Wonder Cat was drawn to share that idea.
  • The mark of the Dream Eaters started with a heart as the base and the image of tremors. Nightmares have that sort of bad feeling.
  • The mark above your own Dream Eaters shows your ownership, it’s also displayed on the map. The boss fights are elaborated in a different direction, where you’ll have to use the map’s characteristics to your advantage. For instance, the floor will break out from under you and the field area will expand. Using the map, you’ll be able to identify your location quickly in that sort of situation.
  • The color scheme is new this time; it’s more pastel unlike what we’ve done before. However, you’ll be able to change the colors of your companion Dream Eaters.
  • The leveling up of the Dream Eaters is directly related to the growth of Sora and Riku. So far we’ve only seen 2 at a time in battle, but if you give it your all you’ll be able collect all the types.
  • Nomura isn’t quite sure off the top of his head, but there are dozens of Dream Eater types.
About Neku
  • Neku’s appearance in Traverse Town was by special means that have to do with his reason for being there. He’ll show up in District 1, etc.
  • Beginning in Traverse Town as usual you’ll meet your party member, but since I wanted to put in a fresh character, we put in Neku from The World Ends With You.
  • This time Traverse Town is constructed around the reason that Neku and co. have come. He has been separated from his original partner Shiki.
  • We’ll go into more detail about Shiki and the others in a follow up report.
  • Concerning a sequel to The World Ends With You, there may be something going on.
Reality Shift Ability
  • The Reality Shift ability in Traverse Town has Sora sink to the bottom screen where he can aim at the enemies. It’s different in each world, and Riku’s ability is different too. In Riku’s Reality Shift you can touch the bottom screen to connect enemies and objects in a line creating chain that Riku will attack following along on the upper screen.
  • The way Sora and Riku interact with their companion Dream Eaters is different. Sora can ride atop the Dream Eaters and be thrown off, while they serve as power ups to Riku.
  • Like shown in the TGS demo, Sora can have two companions at the same time and use them both to do the Dual Link ability where the two Dream Eaters combine into one big Wonder Cat. Filling up the gauge, you’ll be able to use the Reality Shift and Dual Link abilities successively.
  • Since the concept of the game was bold action, this title really makes use of the Free Flow Action ability. Though you have a lot of battle options, with this alone you can do many actions like spinning around and jump kicking depending on the terrain.

Source

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1054 on: September 21, 2011, 05:57:54 PM
My god.. SO many pokemon jokes that can come up with the "tameable" Dream Eaters.. Gotta catch 'em all, Pokemon Dream Eater!

So Neku's not the only one eh? There's a chance we might see So Zetta Slow in thwee dee. Hope not. :\

Even Nomura's not Supes. He can't draw anything in a tight time.

How this game connects to the first is intriguing.

Xehanort finally gets to shine, good for him. (I can finally stop calling him Terranort now :))

Customizable Dream Eaters? In comes the multiplayer sequel to the Chain of Memories duels on the GBA.

So their abilities will work similarily to Viewtiful Joe's VFX. Intresting.

And Riku, stop messing with your bloody hair.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1055 on: September 21, 2011, 06:02:39 PM
Well, Riku's status had been unknown to Sora for a long time, whilst Kairi was safe at home (for the most part); I could see why Sora would've been more worried about Riku.
He knew nothing about either of them, and him and Riku were fighting awhile ago, while he had feelings for Kairi. Meeting her in KH2 was all a bit "Hey... what's up?" while he shoulda manned up and make her see what being a love interest is all about.

Is it just me, or do most japanese game protagonists don't know how to give their love interests some sugar?

Add on the fact that they've been friends probably since birth (I mean, Kairi didn't come to the islands until later; Sora and Riku have lived there for their entire lives)...

Posted on: September 21, 2011, 06:07:49 AM
About the story
  • Nomura drew the illustration featured at the TGS booth in a hurry. He drew the Dream Eaters that would be your companions.
  • Nomura drew the new outfits according to how the Osaka team wished. They’re like their older outfits with minor changes.
  • They are versions between KH1 and KH2, which become the outfits for this title.
  • Riku’s hair grew during the time he was away to show the passage of time, now his hair is cut immediately after that.
  • The “World Submerged in Sleep” is a complex story, but there were worlds other than those that Sora restored in KH1, some that were not submerged in darkness. Like the worlds of the princesses and Dumbo’s, etc. In the end of KH1 it was established that some of those worlds were restored, but not all of them. Those that were neither in light nor in darkness, but those that were submerged in sleep.
  • Since those worlds are essential asleep, the dreams of those worlds become the setting.
  • Sora and Riku will travel to those worlds to awaken them from their sleep.
  • When a world is awoken from it’s sleep, it will be restored to it’s original form.
  • This title involves taking an exam in order to qualify for the Mark of Mastery, so it’ll also be concerned with events that took place in BBS.
  • All the Disney worlds appearing wil be new, and there will be new areas in existing worlds.
  • Temporarily taking on their KH1 forms, they’ll enter into the worlds of sleep . Additionally, Yen Sid says that in order to become a Master, the self taught way that they use the Keyblade will be reset and that it is necessary they learn how to use the Keyblade appropriately from the beginning. When they request to take the exam, Sora says he doesn’t need it, but since Riku has been overwhelmed by darkness before he doesn’t have the self-confidence. Also, Sora and Riku will be taking it together.
  • The opening of this title will be in Xehanort’s point of view. Additionally, there will be a surprise unlike anything seen before in the last scene.
About Dream Eaters
  • The Dream Eaters do not approach anyone and consume dreams in the World of Sleep where there are no Heartless. If Sora/Riku don’t use the power of the Dream Eaters, they can’t go to the other worlds.
  • Their abilities too are related to the Dream Eaters.
  • The Dream Eaters were designed not to be traditionally cute, but to have charm that couldn’t be disliked.  Wonder Cat was drawn to share that idea.
  • The mark of the Dream Eaters started with a heart as the base and the image of tremors. Nightmares have that sort of bad feeling.
  • The mark above your own Dream Eaters shows your ownership, it’s also displayed on the map. The boss fights are elaborated in a different direction, where you’ll have to use the map’s characteristics to your advantage. For instance, the floor will break out from under you and the field area will expand. Using the map, you’ll be able to identify your location quickly in that sort of situation.
  • The color scheme is new this time; it’s more pastel unlike what we’ve done before. However, you’ll be able to change the colors of your companion Dream Eaters.
  • The leveling up of the Dream Eaters is directly related to the growth of Sora and Riku. So far we’ve only seen 2 at a time in battle, but if you give it your all you’ll be able collect all the types.
  • Nomura isn’t quite sure off the top of his head, but there are dozens of Dream Eater types.
About Neku
  • Neku’s appearance in Traverse Town was by special means that have to do with his reason for being there. He’ll show up in District 1, etc.
  • Beginning in Traverse Town as usual you’ll meet your party member, but since I wanted to put in a fresh character, we put in Neku from The World Ends With You.
  • This time Traverse Town is constructed around the reason that Neku and co. have come. He has been separated from his original partner Shiki.
  • We’ll go into more detail about Shiki and the others in a follow up report.
  • Concerning a sequel to The World Ends With You, there may be something going on.
Reality Shift Ability
  • The Reality Shift ability in Traverse Town has Sora sink to the bottom screen where he can aim at the enemies. It’s different in each world, and Riku’s ability is different too. In Riku’s Reality Shift you can touch the bottom screen to connect enemies and objects in a line creating chain that Riku will attack following along on the upper screen.
  • The way Sora and Riku interact with their companion Dream Eaters is different. Sora can ride atop the Dream Eaters and be thrown off, while they serve as power ups to Riku.
  • Like shown in the TGS demo, Sora can have two companions at the same time and use them both to do the Dual Link ability where the two Dream Eaters combine into one big Wonder Cat. Filling up the gauge, you’ll be able to use the Reality Shift and Dual Link abilities successively.
  • Since the concept of the game was bold action, this title really makes use of the Free Flow Action ability. Though you have a lot of battle options, with this alone you can do many actions like spinning around and jump kicking depending on the terrain.

Source
Naice. Nice party replacements, and certainly much more controllable than Donald and Goofy were. And I'm loving the way the story actively HAPPENS, and isn't just a dream. They go into worlds, save the hell outta them, and earn their marks of mastery. Sounds simple enough. And not just that, NEW worlds. No overused Agrabah, but [tornado fang] yeah Notre Dame. I'm hoping to see some Toy Story or maybe even Marvel there.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1056 on: September 21, 2011, 06:13:12 PM
Sorry.

Marvel has said that their properties will NEVER cross with Disney properties. Even though Disney owns Marvel, properties of the two shall remain separate.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #1057 on: September 21, 2011, 10:09:44 PM
Sorry.

Marvel has said that their properties will NEVER cross with Disney properties. Even though Disney owns Marvel, properties of the two shall remain separate.

:)

Offline slayer

• War-Pig
  • Robot Master
  • Mavericks are for pussies...real men kill Aliens
    • View Profile
    • MY fan thingys , help me overcome my fear to show my draws please
Reply #1058 on: September 21, 2011, 10:31:23 PM
Sorry.

maybe is better this way ,i dunno....

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1059 on: September 21, 2011, 10:40:46 PM
Sorry.

Until Disney says so.

Marvel's NEVERs are never meant to be.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1060 on: September 21, 2011, 10:41:24 PM
It is. You wouldn't want Mickey to appear in the latest issue of X-Men, would you?

Same goes for Spidey appearing in a short starring Donald and Daisy.

Just examples here.

Also, Disney has also said the properties won't be mixed.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1061 on: September 21, 2011, 10:44:02 PM
That's good to hear. A lot of fans since the first game want other properties mixed in instead of Disney, and knowing Square, that is what has me worried.  '>.>

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1062 on: September 21, 2011, 10:53:16 PM
It is. You wouldn't want Mickey to appear in the latest issue of X-Men, would you?
I would. Specially in the direction the latest issue of X-Men took.

Same goes for Spidey appearing in a short starring Donald and Daisy.
YES, I would. So very much. He'd actually fit in.

Just examples here.

Also, Disney has also said the properties won't be mixed.
Only until it's useful in a money-making point of view. Trust me, the moment is does become useful, you're gonna be seeing a crossover.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1063 on: September 22, 2011, 05:04:30 AM
To be honest, I can't imagine a Marvel x KH crossover working out.

But that Spider-man and Disney comparison that Mirby made has me intrigued. It definitely could fit well.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1064 on: September 22, 2011, 07:21:36 AM
... Nomura also won't allow Marvel in. Trust me, there's no way in hell that Marvel is gonna make it into KH; it was founded on using strictly Disney's original properties, and that's not gonna change anytime soon. You can dream all you want, but it won't happen in a million years.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1065 on: September 22, 2011, 10:46:19 AM
To be honest, I can't imagine a Marvel x KH crossover working out.

But that Spider-man and Disney comparison that Mirby made has me intrigued. It definitely could fit well.
Yep. Disney's much, much more than just movies. As stuff opens in the way of more fan-loved and reasonably unknown (at the time) stuff like Tron, and more recent stuff like Chicken Little (not to mention already having stuff from a direct-to-video sequel), it could definetly fit in properties like Duck Tales and Gargoyles. And things happen in ridiculous, mysterious ways. If Disney sees the amount of success and moolah that Capcom is making with the MvsC franchise, why not allow a few more crossovers? For money's sake, since Marvel can go child-friendly when it wants to.

... Nomura also won't allow Marvel in. Trust me, there's no way in hell that Marvel is gonna make it into KH; it was founded on using strictly Disney's original properties, and that's not gonna change anytime soon. You can dream all you want, but it won't happen in a million years.
Why wouldn't he? Japanese people love Marvel. And what is an "original property"? Disney has thousands upon thousands of original properties, some quite unknown, and some not directly Disney. Like Nightmare Before Christmas, which was released under the Touchstone Pictures banner, only recently switching back to Disney. Heck, Kill Bill is an original Disney property, the company certainly created it.

So Nomura notwithstanding, since he's the head honcho of the series but the big heads in the company have the final word, in a time when the Marvel movies are coming out in quite alot of popularity, and a time when a rival company game has quite a bit of success with a Marvel crossover, what's stopping Square from requesting to use Marvel in KH? Even better, what's stopping Disney from saying they can use the Avengers movie properties, making the game yet another very successful tie-in? Money talks. And Disney does stuff for money nowadays.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1066 on: September 22, 2011, 11:33:47 PM

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #1067 on: September 23, 2011, 04:09:09 PM
Yep. Disney's much, much more than just movies. As stuff opens in the way of more fan-loved and reasonably unknown (at the time) stuff like Tron, and more recent stuff like Chicken Little (not to mention already having stuff from a direct-to-video sequel), it could definetly fit in properties like Duck Tales and Gargoyles. And things happen in ridiculous, mysterious ways. If Disney sees the amount of success and moolah that Capcom is making with the MvsC franchise, why not allow a few more crossovers? For money's sake, since Marvel can go child-friendly when it wants to.
Why wouldn't he? Japanese people love Marvel. And what is an "original property"? Disney has thousands upon thousands of original properties, some quite unknown, and some not directly Disney. Like Nightmare Before Christmas, which was released under the Touchstone Pictures banner, only recently switching back to Disney. Heck, Kill Bill is an original Disney property, the company certainly created it.

So Nomura notwithstanding, since he's the head honcho of the series but the big heads in the company have the final word, in a time when the Marvel movies are coming out in quite alot of popularity, and a time when a rival company game has quite a bit of success with a Marvel crossover, what's stopping Square from requesting to use Marvel in KH? Even better, what's stopping Disney from saying they can use the Avengers movie properties, making the game yet another very successful tie-in? Money talks. And Disney does stuff for money nowadays.

:(

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #1069 on: September 23, 2011, 04:37:32 PM
Anyone who thinks Marvel character will appear in KH is simply delusional (sorry).
Besides, it might be a fun thing in theory, but in practice I don't I (for one) want to see Nomura handling Spiderman or DOOM.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #1070 on: September 23, 2011, 04:43:19 PM
I let my mind wander on that topic. I immediately disgusted myself with the thought of a Super Hero Squad world.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1071 on: September 23, 2011, 04:53:47 PM
Anyone who thinks Marvel character will appear in KH is simply delusional (sorry).
Besides, it might be a fun thing in theory, but in practice I don't I (for one) want to see Nomura handling Spiderman or DOOM.

This is what happened when Amano got ahold of Wolverine and Elektra.

Do you really want something like that in KH, except designed by Nomura (who can't really handle characters whom he didn't create i.e. Setzer)?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1072 on: September 23, 2011, 05:26:22 PM
The same could have been said about people who dress like this:

And yet he handled them well. Same with Disney properties, he handled them all well. What makes you think he wouldn't handle Marvel properties just as well?

This is what happened when Amano got ahold of Wolverine and Elektra.

Do you really want something like that in KH, except designed by Nomura (who can't really handle characters whom he didn't create i.e. Setzer)?
That looks AWESOME. And what makes you say that? Didn't he handle pretty much every single old Disney franchise character well? So why wouldn't he handle Spider-Man, Thor or Cap well? It's all about choosing a random world, going there and beating up some bad guys. There have been japanese versions of pretty much every single Marvel property already, in artstyle and way to tell stories. Marvel's even got anime running at the moment, quite a few actually. There's been an X-Men Manga, there's a Marvel Manga Universe, and there's several different kinds of stories within Marvel, all ranging from kiddy to more mature. Other than people saying "I don't like the way I'm imagining this could go!" There's absolutely no way they wouldn't be able to do this, and quite well.

People get too uptight about this. Marvel's got a HUGE universe, spanning several different kinds of stories and ways to see different superheroes. That's what's beautiful about the industry, it's flexible. You can have a realistic Wolverine that kills everyone, and you can have one that uses martial arts and life lessons to defeat enemies while teaching kids the value of friendship in cartoons. And they can BOTH be good.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #1073 on: September 23, 2011, 05:34:00 PM
I understand.
But the main point here is that there's little chance that Marvel characters will appear in KH.
No matter how much we want it, it would just not fit. But hey, who knows? We just might see Spiderman and Wolverine in KH when they run out of Disney exclusive worlds for future games. : P

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1074 on: September 24, 2011, 01:13:52 AM
Like I said, only time will tell. I'd certainly love ANYTHING to appear in Kingdom Hearts. From Transformers to Doctor Who to Star Trek to Twin Peaks, I have no idea what WOULDN'T fit in. =P

But Disney would certainly do it for money. Just to give an idea of what Disney DOES for money:

- They've extended the copyright time of characters like Mickey Mouse to +70 years so they can keep making money out of the character.
- They're lobbying in the UK to make Peter Pan a public domain character, so they can stop paying royalties to the children's hospital that has owned the rights for decades.

They can do crap like that, so they can most certainly whore out their properties as much as they can.