X Engine

GameDragon · 18413

Offline DarkSaturn

• Net Navi
  • Run Little puppy!!! Run!!!
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 06:23:27 PM
you have reason sub tank but im dissapointed, how i say, that all create our own characters, with the basic system (charge buster, sable and rapid buster). teletransportation system is important too, there is a teletransportation system in mx3. ride armor is obviously, and i think is being worked a long ago. my suggestion arent specific, are obviously, that are another thing very different. and a specific thing is like : you can put super man in this game?  the gentlemen want a very complete x engine, not a super man game. the gentlemen want anything new, not the same x game of every day.

BANANA INVASION IS COMING!!! OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! ToT                                                                                                                                       

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 06:27:30 PM
Axl is a basic gameplay element now thanks to X7/X8, and he has some nifty and commonly used attributes, such as hovering and multi-directional firing mechanics. The teleport switching also is. Room/screen switching is also a basic function found in almost every X game.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 06:28:13 PM
Point of the project is to modify it with your own ideas, stage designs and characters. Specially girls. >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline carlos-182

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 07:46:41 PM
you have reason sub tank but im dissapointed, how i say, that all create our own characters, with the basic system (charge buster, sable and rapid buster). teletransportation system is important too, there is a teletransportation system in mx3. ride armor is obviously, and i think is being worked a long ago. my suggestion arent specific, are obviously, that are another thing very different. and a specific thing is like : you can put super man in this game?  the gentlemen want a very complete x engine, not a super man game. the gentlemen want anything new, not the same x game of every day.

WTF?? The reason of the engine is to make people get interested and make their own ideas. GameDragon is doing an excellent work on the engine, he's not making a fan game.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 08:03:23 PM
Exactly. Do you think all the features in N-Mario's engine had the complex features in MMU, MM72, MMTT, and all the other fan games being made with it by default? No, they added it in. Stop asking for hyper-detailed things like you are, and be glad he's even making this excellent X engine.

And plus, once he releases it, it's only a simple matter of changing the sprites to have your own characters/enemies/bosses.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline DarkSaturn

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 08:29:44 PM
WTF?? The reason of the engine is to make people get interested and make their own ideas. GameCreation is doing an excellent work on the engine, he's not making a fan game.

Im saying that e.รจ read very good after doing a quote. first of all, i only say that" the gentlemen create her own character with the basic powers (rapid shot, charge shot and sable) im not saying that have to be x, axl and zero necesary. second, im not saying that the gentlemen cant put more attacks that thoses, thoses are bases. third, what im saying? we want a very complete x engine, not the same as every day, this include new puzzles, and im not saying that we only can use the puzzles that have the engine. read very good. and im only suggest ideas, no more. oh and you try to say that teleport system is stupid? is important in a megaman game.

Talyn, im only want to solve the problem of the character selection. im sorry about the hyper detailed thing, and how i say, the gentlemen create her own character.  sorry about it, really, im sorry. now we can stop with this stupid war.

Offline GameDragon

• Cyberelf
  • *nom*
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 08:34:05 PM
Axl is a basic gameplay element now thanks to X7/X8, and he has some nifty and commonly used attributes, such as hovering and multi-directional firing mechanics. The teleport switching also is. Room/screen switching is also a basic function found in almost every X game.

Regardless, the engine is primarily based on X1 - X3. The only thing so far that steps outside that boundary is the weapons.

Sub Tank and Talyn are spot on. This isn't a fan game at all. I had only planned to add the necessities of an X game, Axl was not one of them.
At the moment, I have no desire to add Axl in, but if someone is willing to whip up a decent sprite sheet for him, I'll think about it.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 06:51:49 AM
It was never a war in the first place, DS, unless you wanted it to be. We were just explaining to you that we can't have everything we want in this; it's up to GameDragon here if he wants to put it in or not.

And as he explains in that post right there, it's X1-3 stuff, and since most of your stuff is post X3, it probably won't make it in.

Also, there's no really good X1-3 era Axl sheet available at the moment, so putting Axl in is out of the question, as GameDragon also explained. Not to mention he's introduced at the start of the third era of X games.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline DarkSaturn

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 05:06:07 PM
oke no problem  ;)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:55 PM
Okay then.

Also: Met Shield. Best. Weapon. Ever! 8D

Offline DarkSaturn

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 10:04:37 PM
a copy of commando yammark and armored armadillo power.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 11:41:16 PM
But with Mettaurs. That makes it awesome.

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "To win is to lose, to lose is to win."
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 11:42:15 PM
Dark Void...why does that remind me of something?

Into Darkness, into the Abyss. Where only anathema exists.
| https://twitter.com/BlazeMcPhearson |

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 12:23:18 AM
Ya know. I can't remember if I already asked this in an earlier post or video or not, but I was wondering. How are you controlling the color schemes of X when you use different weapons? Are you using MMF2 HWA and using pixel shaders? Or are you doing it through MMF2's color replacement? I oddly remember something like that you used the colro replacement for the weapon colors, and just "animated" him flashing when you charge the X buster. But I'm not sure if this is still the case, or if you improved on the functions of the color swapping.

Offline GameDragon

• Cyberelf
  • *nom*
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 04:16:07 AM
Ya know. I can't remember if I already asked this in an earlier post or video or not, but I was wondering. How are you controlling the color schemes of X when you use different weapons? Are you using MMF2 HWA and using pixel shaders? Or are you doing it through MMF2's color replacement? I oddly remember something like that you used the colro replacement for the weapon colors, and just "animated" him flashing when you charge the X buster. But I'm not sure if this is still the case, or if you improved on the functions of the color swapping.

At first, I was using MMF2 Color replace, and that was working fine for a bit. But as I started to progress and add more animations, the lag got more and more noticeable. At the moment, MMF2's color replacement isn't even an option, so HWA shaders had to be used. I've kept palette changing to a minimum, the only time shaders are used are for weapons. Any other time the palette needs to be changed, it's done through animations.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 04:56:16 AM
Yea. I read that some of the other MegaMan fan games are also having to change over to MMF2 HWA to use the Shaders. I'm just trying to figure out what everone's been using so whether I should stick with MMF2 color replacer, or if I should go ahead and have MMU's color schemes also be made in HWA.

One of the reasons I stopped working on MMF2 is the more coding and objects I put into a frame, the slower and laggier it got. Esp. with the fast loops. I've been told many things about differences of speeds when a game uses fast loops, depending how the fast loops are used. I've had thougth about redesigning the code to see if I can help any lag issues from fast loops. But I donno. Seems to me that even using HWA could make it even run slower, considering it needs more resources to work correctly.

So, that's mainly where I'm at now. I'm kind of a a point where I'm stuck in a situation where if I keep adding things into the game, the result may ake the game even slower. I just don't know what to do with MMU anymore. :-/ 

Offline GameDragon

• Cyberelf
  • *nom*
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 05:24:29 AM
I can definitely relate with the fast loops. Those gave me a great deal of problems too. It goes without saying that you shouldn't use fast loops unless you need to, especially ones that constantly repeat. The times you do need to fast loop, it's probably best to limit it as much as possible. For example, in my engine, every enemy has built-in collision detection and gravity using fast loops. The most obvious way to go about it was to run the loop the same number of enemies. That by itself caused tremendous amounts of lag. The best way I found to approach it, was to run the loop the number of enemies onscreen. That made a huge difference.

If you can't limit a loop in anyway, then it might be best to just event them out manually. As sloppy as that is, it does make a performance difference. You should also try building in HWA if you haven't already. I'm sure it'll make things a little better.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 07:15:18 AM
Hmm...... I'm still bit confused as to how it all plays out though. Like for mine. If I don't use fast loops for X and Y movement, a player could easily get crushed, or stuck in between the walls. Not to mention conveyor belts if those make you move even faster, might have even more issues with hitting up against the walls.
I also used fast loops for the slopes, to make him walk both up and down slopes. Mainly for # of pixels per slope detection I think. I don't know how you did it though.

BTW, I was really never a fan of MMF2's built in features. Esp. the built-in platform engine with all its bugs, sticking on walls, bunny hopping. When I want to make a good game, I want to try to make it from the ground up. I don't want to have to be limited to the software's built in engines.

Someone told me that if you group the fast loops right, it might help solve any slowdown issues. Like fro example, fast loops should be inside its own group, and this group should be disabled until the fast loop is called. When the fast loop is called, the group would activate, then deactivate after the fast loop is done.

Also, while I have my own method of floating point movement, seems I found another example structure of floating point movement someone made that is far different than the way I did it. I use floating point movement so I could make some accurate slippery floors, and use movements such as X movement 1.5, or 3.22, or 2.46, or somewhere in between. I noticed that Moving player X offset 1 is too slow for MM, while X offset by 2 is too fast fr him. So I kind of wanted to use something in between.

Did you have to make a similar approach like this to your X Engine? Or are you mainly handling the velocities in a different way? You know.... I wonder if it would help if I showed my engine code to an experienced MMF2 user, and get some feedback to see if the script is fair, or really messey, or clean. Because I have had to write some notes of which things do what, hoping it would clear some things. But I still don't feel comfortable with it. So I donno.
So far I've only had beta testers play the engine alone, but I doubt any of them were experienced MMF2 users, let alone actually use it. X_X

Offline GameDragon

• Cyberelf
  • *nom*
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 08:40:54 AM
You're 100% right on pretty much everything. MMF2 platform engine is horrible. I also use float point and fast loops for my movement.

As for the fast looping, it's not necessarily how many times you run the loop (though that does play in the matter), but how many times that loop is actually called or even how many fast loops you're using at once. Having a fast loop that runs 200 times on one event, shouldn't do anything to your performance. But if that same loop is in say, 5 events, then ya, that's gonna cause problems. Unlike MMF2's action events, fast loop events are still read, even if the conditions don't meet. I've heard of the grouping method on Clickteam forums. I've never had to try it myself, but I can see how that would help, since you could disable any fast loop events that don't need to be read.

Assuming fast loops are your issue. You need to look into how many are running at once, and limiting/disabling the ones that don't need to be used 24/7.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 10:10:13 PM
It is kind of tough having to make an engine.