The Old Republic

Psycho Yuffie · 6524

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
on: January 26, 2009, 08:05:21 PM
Am I the only getting totally excited over this MMO? Am I? It almost seems like it. I'm a big fan of the KOTOR games and since TOR has almost the same kind of system as it, I've become pretty excited. I'm hoping that some kind of beta comes out, so I can try it out a bit.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:19:41 PM
You might very well be the only one.  I'm not, personally.  I loved the KOTOR games, and an MMO is honestly the last thing I wanted the next KOTOR to be, due to my personal distaste for them.  The only way I'll even consider playing this is if it's for free.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:22:10 PM
You might very well be the only one.  I'm not, personally.  I loved the KOTOR games, and an MMO is honestly the last thing I wanted the next KOTOR to be, due to my personal distaste for them.  The only way I'll even consider playing this is if it's for free.
Free would be ideal. I would love that, but something tells me that it won't be, unfortunately.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:23:11 PM
lol not going to be free.

Also, there's been a lot of MMO threads popping recently

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:24:33 PM
I'd love if that DCU MMO was free as well, but I don't think it will be.  So oh well.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 12:39:15 AM
lol not going to be free.

Actually, that may or may not be true.

One of the things that been alleged about the game, is that it may be "free", but you still may pay REAL MONEY, in the form of micro-transactions for different swag in the game. 

So, if true, it would mean you could play the game for free, albeit that you'll still end up having to pay sometimes for the stuff that may really want.  X(

But otherwise, I echo Blues' statements. The fact that this game is NOT KOTOR3 proper is breaking my heart worse than Padme's, when she found out that her "Ani" killed younglings.  8D

But hey? As long as I STILL don't have a proper sequel to Jedi Outcast/Academy, nothing Star Wars-related is going to make me that happy...

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 01:10:27 AM
I know at least one person who's gonna lose his life to this game, almost guaranteed.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 01:23:00 AM
But otherwise, I echo Blues' statements. The fact that this game is NOT KOTOR3 proper is breaking my heart worse than Padme's, when she found out that her "Ani" killed younglings.  8D

But hey? As long as I STILL don't have a proper sequel to Jedi Outcast/Academy, nothing Star Wars-related is going to make me that happy...

"YOU WILL NOT TAKE HER FROM ME!"   8D

Yeah, I as well would [tornado fang]ing love a proper Jedi Academy/Outcast sequel as well.  Those games were pretty awesome.

Although, I did actually like The Force Unleashed, so that helped.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:34:59 AM
"YOU WILL NOT TAKE HER FROM ME!"   8D

BioWare: "Your close-mindedness (and our EA money-hats) have already done that!"  8D

Yeah, I as well would [tornado fang]ing love a proper Jedi Academy/Outcast sequel as well.  Those games were pretty awesome.

Although, I did actually like The Force Unleashed, so that helped.

Eh.

As another game that tried "to fit in with the cool kids" (DMC, NG, God of War, etc), I suppose that TFU did its job. Certainly better than "Episode 3: The Game", in any case.

But it was nowhere near what I could have imagined it to be.

"Oh, wow! We got ourselves a brand-spanking new rag-doll physics engine! You'll be able to use so many over-the-top abilities! You'll truly be able to feel like you're 'unleashing' the FORCE!!!

...Now deal with the fact that you have to use QTEs, and a fairly simplistic, canned combo system that actually makes Dynasty Warriors games look more flexible in comparison.

Oh, and no lopping off limbs for you!  Even though that stuff happens in the MOVIES fairly regularly, and PREVIOUS games (like certainly Jedi Outcast) had it!"  8D

What I would give for RavenSoft to come back, and make another game, and basically show us and those other guys how's it's supposed to be done (again). Kyle Katarn, and even his snot-nosed student in JA, made me feel like I was really playing with "unlimited power", and that the lightsaber was the weapon it was supposed to be. Even with all the over-the-top antics that StarKiller was able to do, it didn't give me that same feel...  -u-'

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 01:42:27 AM
BioWare: "Your close-mindedness (and our EA money-hats) have already done that!"  8D

EA - "I HAVE BROUGHT PEACE, FREEDOM, JUSTICE, AND SECURITY....TO MY NEW EMPIRE!"

Oh, I agree with you that the Jedi Outcast/Academy games were much better than TFU.  I liked the story for TFU though.  I thought it was somewhat interesting.  I prefer that battle engine style as well, over TFU.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 01:44:54 AM
I don't think that BioWare wants to make KOTOR3. Why? They simply didn't make KOTOR2. To them, they lost the ability to make any more regular KOTOR games due to the crapfest that was KOTOR2. Granted, I enjoyed some of the features in KOTOR2. The real Jedi Robes and the ability to customize everything were nice; however, the story sucked and was literally unfinished when they released it. It's buggy and a lot of the times these bugs get fairly annoying. Even in the TOR's synopsis, it doesn't even acknowledge the events in KOTOR2. Then again, TOR takes place like 300 years after KOTOR.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 02:02:03 AM
EA - "I HAVE BROUGHT PEACE, FREEDOM, JUSTICE, AND SECURITY....TO MY NEW EMPIRE!"

Gamers: YOUR new Empire?

EA: DON'T MAKE ME KILL YOU (or rather, another of your favorite franchises)!

Gamers: EA, our allegiance is to single-player experiences! To actual story-telling!

EA: If you're not with me....then you're my enemy!

Gamers: ...Only EA deals in absolutes. We will do what we must. *tries to pass over for other games*

EA: YOU WILL TRY....!

*flips out*

EA: FLIPPY, FLIPPY....LAVALAVALAVALAVALAVALAVA!!!! ...AHHHHH!!!!  8D

(if you don't know what I'm talking about, well, then... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb9BKEy8oEY&feature=related)

Oh, I agree with you that the Jedi Outcast/Academy games were much better than TFU.  I liked the story for TFU though.  I thought it was somewhat interesting.  I prefer that battle engine style as well, over TFU.

My only thing is, why do they feel like we needed that chapter in the Star Wars storyline? The Clone Wars, Order 66 and all that stuff that came with it? I think we've had enough of that. It's only doing more to "cheapen" the storyline, the more stuff they try to add-on. Can we finally move on?

I mean, sure, currently, the EU in the books has started going down the crapper, as well, but before that, there was some good stuff. Plenty of things that I think could have been used as the source of great games. For example, if they REALLY wanted something from the "Sith" perspective, why not take us back to Darth Bane and the two books he inspired? That was the stuff of greatness.

Or, take a few cues from BioWare/RavenSoft and try and carve out their own niche in the mythos. Whatever. It's just starting to get to the point where, the more they do with anything relating to the two original trilogies, the worse it gets. And that "Legacy" comic series had such great potential too...

I don't think that BioWare wants to make KOTOR3. Why? They simply didn't make KOTOR2. To them, they lost the ability to make any more regular KOTOR games due to the crapfest that was KOTOR2. Granted, I enjoyed some of the features in KOTOR2. The real Jedi Robes and the ability to customize everything were nice; however, the story sucked and was literally unfinished when they released it. It's buggy and a lot of the times these bugs get fairly annoying. Even in the TOR's synopsis, it doesn't even acknowledge the events in KOTOR2. Then again, TOR takes place like 300 years after KOTOR.

KOTOR 2 was the more victim of Lucasarts meddling, rather than any real wrong-doing on Obsidian's part. Obsidian needed more time, which LA wasn't willing to give (because they wanted to release the game in time for the holidays years ago).

When that "as it should've been" epic-patch that fans are working is finished, I say, go give that game a go again. It may do more to give the notion that Obsidian, nor their KOTOR2, was given a fair shake.

But in any case, if they feel like KOTOR has been "spoiled" a bit, I don't see why that should make much a difference. Take the story to another tangent. Or hell, everything that they're doing for TOR is basically what could have been a feasible arc for a "KOTOR" continuation, Revan or no.

But the simple truth is, BioWare has seemingly been waiting for the right opportunity to make a MMO, and they wanted Star Wars to be their "hook". Boo on them. But at least, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age will hopefully tide me off, and fill that void...

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 02:09:14 AM
KOTOR 2 was the more victim of Lucasarts meddling, rather than any real wrong-doing on Obsidian's part. Obsidian needed more time, which LA wasn't willing to give (because they wanted to release the game in time for the holidays years ago).

When that "as it should've been" highly enjoyable-patch that fans are working is finished, I say, go give that game a go again. It may do more to give the notion that Obsidian, nor their KOTOR2, was given a fair shake.

But in any case, if they feel like KOTOR has been "spoiled" a bit, I don't see why that should make much a difference. Take the story to another tangent. Or hell, everything that they're doing for TOR is basically what could have been a feasible arc for a "KOTOR" continuation, Revan or no.

But the simple truth is, BioWare has seemingly been waiting for the right opportunity to make a MMO, and they wanted Star Wars to be their "hook". Boo on them. But at least, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age will hopefully tide me off, and fill that void...
It's true. LucasArts pushed KOTOR2 out the door way too fast. I think it has potential, as TSLRP (The Sith Lords Restoration Project) does. I'm anxiously waiting for its release so I can finally play KOTOR2 as it was meant to be played.

I agree with needing KOTOR3, though. The series needs a proper conclusion, instead of just a spaceship flying off into space. Do you think KOTOR fans really want that to be the last of KOTOR? A stupid spaceship? Hell no--at least I don't.

Also, I've been waiting for a decent Star Wars MMO. I believe that if anyone can deliver on this, BioWare can.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 02:17:07 AM
Oh, I'm sure they can deliver. No doubts there.

It's just the point of the matter! This is a MMO, which is basically a dagger right in the heart of those like you and me, who wanted KOTOR 3 proper.  bVd

Archer

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 02:44:16 AM
If they don't put in Smuggler, they aren't getting my money.

Ewok Smuggler (With a wookiee companion character)

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 02:49:48 AM
Ewok Smuggler (With a wookiee companion character)
You just earned yourself a cookie. :cookie: XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 04:04:14 AM
Exactly!  I want my KOTOR3 and my JEDI ACADEMY 5

Offline TheDivine

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 05:58:58 PM
How can anyone NOT be excited for this game? It's an MMO, big deal. As far as we know, it still plays the same way as the KotoR games, and we -know- it's still story driven. They were saying something about the chat system that I can remember, but it made the game even better for me. The only difference between this one and the old ones is that when you see people in cities they'll be real people.

I mean really, come on. The game is set to have 40 novels worth of dialogue, all of which is voice acted. More dialogue than all of Biowares games combined. That in itself is a feat.

The only way this game could be a let down for me is if there isn't space travel. I need to be able to own a ship and pimp around the galaxy in it. Say what you will about Galaxy's, but that's one thing it did right.

[I know I just bumped an old thread, but I was going to make my own until I saw this.]

Also, why is everyone bitching about it not being KotoR3 "proper?" IT IS. It's a direct sequel, guys.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 08:17:50 PM
Also, why is everyone bitching about it not being KotoR3 "proper?" IT IS. It's a direct sequel, guys.

If it's free, I won't complain, and I'll probably play it.  If it's not, I'll never play it.  I will never pay a monthly fee to play any game, no matter how much I want it. 

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 05:40:27 AM
I mean really, come on. The game is set to have 40 novels worth of dialogue, all of which is voice acted. More dialogue than all of Biowares games combined. That in itself is a feat.

I think I'd prefer 20 novels of dialogue instead of Bioware's wordswordswordswordswords approach.

Offline TheDivine

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 12:50:58 AM
http://kotaku.com/5317742/giving-voice-to-the-old-republic

Posted on: July 19, 2009, 12:44:57 PM
Necro postin' to tell people to sign up for the beta, homies.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 08:12:02 PM
Necro postin' to tell people to sign up for the beta, homies.

Already did days ago.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 01:34:16 AM
Why not, it's worth a shot.