GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208918

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #275 on: July 22, 2010, 06:26:44 AM
Is this a recent trade?

Actually, it's current if I'm not mistaken.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #276 on: July 22, 2010, 06:28:41 AM
Actually, it's current if I'm not mistaken.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  That's hilarious!  Oh Quesada.....

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
Reply #277 on: July 22, 2010, 09:12:28 AM
Also, just read Spidey: A Moment in Time.

It's basically Quesada cutting up parts of the original wedding comic, and inserting his own "PETER GOT COLD FEET 'CAUSE HE'S A SINGLE MAAAN AND CAN NEVER COMMIT TO ANYONE AND THAT IS PROVEN BECAUSE HE'S SPIDER MAAN" twisted version of the story while a drunk Mary Jane narrates and keeps saying "Let's be friends let's be friends" in the background.

One of the biggest cases of RUBBING IT ON OUR FACES that I ever saw.
I think they've picked the best title possible for the story, though: One Moment In Time. Indeed, the story never seems to end.

From the hairbrained idea of shoving Michelinie's story on the wedding with Quesada's ad-lib stuff on the past to drastically different art styles throughout the story going as far as hand-drawn fonts jumping to digital ones, I was bored out of my skull. I honestly had trouble reading it. Because I rage out of the marriage? Because the story was painful?

No, it's just mediocre and terribly ill-paced. Without the whole layer of meanings for the marriage deal, it's an incredibly lousy comic by all standards.

I don't recommend it to anyone, because it's not effective even as torture, unless provoked uninspired boredom can prove to be fatal.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #278 on: July 22, 2010, 09:15:11 AM
Joe Quesada and Dan DiDio.. What did we do to deserve them, oh comic gods?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #279 on: July 22, 2010, 09:20:13 AM
I had my chance to punch Quesada in the face last Comic Con.

It's a shame I really love going to the Comic Con

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #280 on: July 22, 2010, 09:34:03 AM
PB: You know, I'm pretty sure you'd be cheered on!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #281 on: July 22, 2010, 12:46:40 PM
Is this a recent trade?
Came out yesterday. It's Quesada's sequel to One More Day.

Is there anything sadder than cutting up parts of old comics and replacing it with the new digital crappy art they have, for the sake of a fanboy's new official fanfic? When I started reading it and saw the classic art, at first I thought "Hey, they made classic-style art for this flashback? Sweet!" It was later that I kinda got the truth. This is probably one of the most shameless stories I've ever read. The kind that could be perceived as a joke if made as a straight parody. I mean... even if they say they made this just so Peter could be un-married for awhile and experience stories he couldn't while he was married, they could have done something like they did back when they "killed" MJ in a plane crash, then brought her back some time later. Peter was, for all intents and purposes, "single" for awhile. And you could see it was a temporary thing. This? It's RUBBING IT IN. And revelling in the awful status.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #282 on: July 22, 2010, 03:44:04 PM
I had my chance to punch Quesada in the face last Comic Con.

I would've just kicked him where the sun don't shine.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #283 on: July 22, 2010, 06:00:54 PM
check it.

whats that series called?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #284 on: July 22, 2010, 06:02:56 PM
Scott Pilgrim.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #285 on: July 22, 2010, 08:16:54 PM
Lemme rage a bit more here:

Aparently, what changed in the timeline, was that this guy who Spidey arrested, was let out of a police car BY A BIRD WHO LANDED ON A SWITCH, and later threw a brick at Spidey's head, which knocked him out for the day and made him miss his own wedding.

...also, Joe adds in a ton of insecurity and Peter constantly ranting to himself how this is a mistake. [tornado fang] you Joe.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #286 on: July 22, 2010, 08:44:35 PM
This? It's RUBBING IT IN. And revelling in the awful status.

Lemme rage a bit more here:

Aparently, what changed in the timeline, was that this guy who Spidey arrested, was let out of a police car BY A BIRD WHO LANDED ON A SWITCH, and later threw a brick at Spidey's head, which knocked him out for the day and made him miss his own wedding.

...also, Joe adds in a ton of insecurity and Peter constantly ranting to himself how this is a mistake. [tornado fang] you Joe.

Honestly, I'm not surprised.  Also, my friend showed me the panel with MJ & Mephisto and it's also just a kick to the face from Quesada again.  THIS is precisely why, after OMD, I would never buy a Spider-Man comic again.  Because Quesada literally is saying [tornado fang] You to all Spidey fans out there.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #287 on: July 22, 2010, 09:13:09 PM

GOD DAMMIT BIRD.

WHY YOU GOTTA BE SUCH AN ASS?

(and man, does that art suck)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #288 on: July 22, 2010, 09:21:39 PM
Yeah it's pretty awful.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #289 on: July 22, 2010, 11:11:33 PM

In other news, Prince of Power is AWESOME.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #290 on: July 23, 2010, 06:24:45 AM
Honestly, I'm not surprised.  Also, my friend showed me the panel with MJ & Mephisto and it's also just a kick to the face from Quesada again.  THIS is precisely why, after OMD, I would never buy a Spider-Man comic again.  Because Quesada literally is saying [tornado fang] You to all Spidey fans out there.
So it's a-okay to pirate?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #291 on: July 23, 2010, 12:35:45 PM
So it's a-okay to pirate?
I pirate pretty much every single comic I read. And if I enjoy it ALOT, and consider it something awesome, I buy it on trades and later on paperback to fit on the shelf. If I think it's good and integral to this or that storyline, I wait for the paperback edition to come out and get it.

...if I don't like it, I don't buy it. =P Thing is, this makes me buy a TON of comics, seeing as having them in your hand is a completely different experience than reading them on your PC. I love to experience both on every single comic I read. Reading them carefully on your hand is that one ritual I repeat with every single comic book, but reading them on a .cbr format on your computer, gets you to locate tiny details, and appreciate the art a whole lot more in a bigger format. Basically, I follow what I like, and still have all my main series pre-ordered in the store as soon as they come out. Most people who follow comics do this, because comic stores can't always keep all of the recent trades in and many times end up selling everything.

It's a good way to read comics without being spoiled just because you obtain your comic a week later when it comes out.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #292 on: July 23, 2010, 11:20:29 PM
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters

Ahem......

PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!

Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions Voice Actors

All I can say is WOW! That's fan-[tornado fang]ing-tastic, and I mean that literally.  Getting all the previous voice actors of Spidey together for one game?  This might have sold me! (I'll probably still borrow Lou's and try it out first though!)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #293 on: July 24, 2010, 01:05:34 AM
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters

Ahem......

PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!
PLEASE BE GOOD!

Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions Voice Actors

All I can say is WOW! That's fan-[tornado fang]ing-tastic, and I mean that literally.  Getting all the previous voice actors of Spidey together for one game?  This might have sold me! (I'll probably still borrow Lou's and try it out first though!)
Great on NPH's Spidey. And when it comes to WB Interactive Studios games, what's their track record with games? Track record of a company says EVERYTHING about how something turns out. Let's see...

http://www.doublehelixgames.com/games/

...oh God. We're [tornado fang]'d.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #294 on: July 24, 2010, 02:12:48 AM
I know this made old news and not surprising but what do you think of this:

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/072110-watchmen-rights-alan-moore.php

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #295 on: July 24, 2010, 02:59:31 AM
Great on NPH's Spidey. And when it comes to WB Interactive Studios games, what's their track record with games? Track record of a company says EVERYTHING about how something turns out. Let's see...

http://www.doublehelixgames.com/games/

...oh God. We're [tornado fang]'d.

MAYBE THERE'S STILL HOPE?

*looks for Blue Ring* Maybe....

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #296 on: July 24, 2010, 03:24:00 AM
I know this made old news and not surprising but what do you think of this:

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/072110-watchmen-rights-alan-moore.php
I kinda agree with the guy on one thing. Watchmen doesn't need a sequel. It's probably the one comic book that needs a sequel THE LEAST. It was made during the Cold War, with a Cold War message. It's meant to stay in that time, and still be relevant today. A sequel would [tornado fang] it up. That, and Alan Moore just plain HATES DC.

Also, what would he do with the Watchmen rights? Prevent them from making sequels? OH RIGHT, he would have had to make a sequel to obtain them in the first place. Alan doesn't even like Watchmen anymore, due to the importance DC placed upon it, and the way it's been popularized as a movie. So let the cranky old man in the woods be alone with his Glycon worship.

MAYBE THERE'S STILL HOPE?

*looks for Blue Ring* Maybe....
It's a movie property. No matter how good it is, it'll still be Tron outfit Hal Jordan, with Deadpool's face. I'll be waiting for an actual good game adaptation of GL, seeing as his comic is rising in popularity. Maybe we'll get it someday.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #297 on: July 24, 2010, 03:27:03 AM
I kinda agree with the guy on one thing. Watchmen doesn't need a sequel. It's probably the one comic book that needs a sequel THE LEAST. It was made during the Cold War, with a Cold War message. It's meant to stay in that time, and still be relevant today. A sequel would [tornado fang] it up. That, and Alan Moore just plain HATES DC.

Also, what would he do with the Watchmen rights? Prevent them from making sequels? OH RIGHT, he would have had to make a sequel to obtain them in the first place. Alan doesn't even like Watchmen anymore, due to the importance DC placed upon it, and the way it's been popularized as a movie. So let the cranky old man in the woods be alone with his Glycon worship.

Watchmen absolutely does not need a sequel. Ever.

It's a movie property. No matter how good it is, it'll still be Tron outfit Hal Jordan, with Deadpool's face. I'll be waiting for an actual good game adaptation of GL, seeing as his comic is rising in popularity. Maybe we'll get it someday.

Yeah, I know!   :(

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #298 on: July 24, 2010, 03:34:51 AM
You know how a GL game would work? If they managed to limit the gameplay on PURPOSE. Imagine a KOTOR-like RPG, with the Corps as party members, being able to use different constructs as skills and willpower upgrades (or maybe even equippable rings of different colors) with energy charge being chosen in stats menus. You choose to have this much ring energy to charge your shields, this much to fight, this much to fly... Imagine facing Manhunters as main enemies, being able to fly as a method of transportation and dislocation without having it be an action-based gameplay. An action-based GL wouldn't work at all, unless they had him just shooting little beams out of his ring. If he was grounded, maybe they could work in some combos with several different kinds of constructs, but flying, PLUS different constructs? No. Although to be honest, it'd be perfect to have those end-of-bossfight QTE sequences where you press a few buttons and make some awesome huge constructs appear to finish off the enemies.

A truly good Green Lantern game would be something VERY tough to make. Heck, if it had to be action, without limiting the gameplay, I daresay it'd be tougher to make than a Superman game. Which is already something VERY hard to make due to the versatibility of the hero, in my opinion.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #299 on: July 24, 2010, 03:38:38 AM
You know how a GL game would work? If they managed to limit the gameplay on PURPOSE. Imagine a KOTOR-like RPG, with the Corps as party members, being able to use different constructs as skills and willpower upgrades (or maybe even equippable rings of different colors) with energy charge being chosen in stats menus. You choose to have this much ring energy to charge your shields, this much to fight, this much to fly... Imagine facing Manhunters as main enemies, being able to fly as a method of transportation and dislocation without having it be an action-based gameplay. An action-based GL wouldn't work at all, unless they had him just shooting little beams out of his ring. If he was grounded, maybe they could work in some combos with several different kinds of constructs, but flying, PLUS different constructs? No. Although to be honest, it'd be perfect to have those end-of-bossfight QTE sequences where you press a few buttons and make some awesome huge constructs appear to finish off the enemies.

A truly good Green Lantern game would be something VERY tough to make. Heck, if it had to be action, without limiting the gameplay, I daresay it'd be tougher to make than a Superman game. Which is already something VERY hard to make due to the versatibility of the hero, in my opinion.

I agree that a KOTOR style game would probably work the best. Plus if you have the different Earth Lanterns, they could each have different constructs each, suited to each one's style. 

But yeah, that's the real problem with a Green Lantern game. The only limit on the ring would be one's imagination. LoL, unless they do it Scribblenauts style!