The KOF Thread

Solar · 7326

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
on: May 07, 2009, 09:50:08 PM
Reviving because I want to find people to play with online, also to discuss and post news. Speaking of news...

OMG it's Elizabreasts Elizabeth and a zombie Mature! D:

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 02:37:24 AM
a zombie Mature! D:

Actually, if you really care about such details...

Years ago, with KOF's 10th anniversary website (back in 94), SNK actually did more to put out the "official say-so" on who's dead, and who's not.

Basically, according to SNK, technically EVERYBODY is still alive and fine, except for Goenitz, Igniz, the two Zeroes, Krizalid, the various Kyo clones (besides Kusanagi) and Rugal (or at least, certainly the "original" guy who died in 95).

So, in other words, it's fine that Mature is here, and I wouldn't be surprised if Vice is soon to follow (to complete Iori's most renowned default team). They're just like Foxy, who was thought to have been "killed" in 2001, but has since been stated to be still "alive and well".

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 02:40:09 AM
Aexcept for Goenitz, Igniz, the two Zeroes, Krizalid, the various Kyo clones (besides Kusanagi) and Rugal (or at least, certainly the "original" guy who died in 95).

All the cool guys get killed. BOO SNK. BOO.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:56:42 AM
Basically, according to SNK, technically EVERYBODY is still alive and fine, except for Goenitz, Igniz, the two Zeroes, Krizalid, the various Kyo clones (besides Kusanagi) and Rugal (or at least, certainly the "original" guy who died in 95).

So, in other words, it's fine that Mature is here, and I wouldn't be surprised if Vice is soon to follow (to complete Iori's most renowned default team). They're just like Foxy, who was thought to have been "killed" in 2001, but has since been stated to be still "alive and well".

Yeah, but remember 2000 and how every striker that was officially dead back then simply vanished? Mature and Vice were among them. Oh, and you forgot to mention that Magaki got impaled by Shion (the Ikari even had his corpse, there's no "he didn't die" for him) and that Shion is pretty much trapped in another dimension for eternity.

Posted on: May 07, 2009, 11:05:23 PM
The Japanese get the superior covers...again.

Also, Famitsu posts new art and screens.

More

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 07:06:16 AM
Can't say I'm a fan of the new art style or the lack of characters for a supposed non-story game

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 07:27:31 AM
Well remember that it takes [tornado fang]ing long for a character to be made witht these new sprites, so blame the HD for the lack of characters.

Also, website for the console version is now up.

Modes comfirmed:
-Arcade (time trial)
-Versus
--3vs3
--1vs1
-Replays
Online with apparently all the features we were told.
Others
-Gallery
-Shop AKA DLC

Oh, there's also a vid with Mature and Elizabreasts in motion in there.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 05:16:32 AM
Yeah, but remember 2000 and how every striker that was officially dead back then simply vanished? Mature and Vice were among them.

Sure. But, as is seemingly the case with things of this nature, they obviously did more to change their minds about things like. More than likely though, I believe they just don't care that much, and just wanted to make things easy, so that they reserve the right to bring these characters back at any time, without having to "explain away" things.

I mean, these are the same guys, who just recently, pretty much effectively did a DC-esque "HyperTime"-style recon, which phased K9999 out of existence, and now he's replaced with the non-Tetsuo-homage, "Nameless".

Oh, and you forgot to mention that Magaki got impaled by Shion (the Ikari even had his corpse, there's no "he didn't die" for him) and that Shion is pretty much trapped in another dimension for eternity.

Tru dat. Pretty much the story for KOF is that, any body who's a "big bad" is liable to be put on the chopping block. Thus far, the only one/ones who seems to have evaded that are Chris and the New Faces, and Geese (though it was alleged he would be dealt with soon enough, too).

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 05:38:09 AM
Sure. But, as is seemingly the case with things of this nature, they obviously did more to change their minds about things like. More than likely though, I believe they just don't care that much, and just wanted to make things easy, so that they reserve the right to bring these characters back at any time, without having to "explain away" things.

I mean, these are the same guys, who just recently, pretty much effectively did a DC-esque "HyperTime"-style recon, which phased K9999 out of existence, and now he's replaced with the non-Tetsuo-homage, "Nameless".

Sure, they can retcon it whenever they want, but for now they are dead unless officially stated otherwise. Which honestly, I wouldn't mind at all since Chris is who I main in all dream matches.

Tru dat. Pretty much the story for KOF is that, any body who's a "big bad" is liable to be put on the chopping block. Thus far, the only one/ones who seems to have evaded that are Chris and the New Faces, and Geese (though it was alleged he would be dealt with soon enough, too).

Speaking of the New Faces, did they ever say if what is sealed is only Orochi's spirit or Chris' body too? However, I don't see how the New Faces evaded that, Yashiro pretty much rips off all of their throats in their own ending, and then there's their 2k strikers. Also, Geese depends on which continuity you are XD

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 05:40:27 AM
Let's see if this one can top '98 for me 8D

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 05:43:08 AM
I seriously doubt XII will top 98 because it's not "complete", but 98's already been topped. Twice. 98UM and 2k2UM are that good, to me at least :P

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 08:45:54 AM
Sure, they can retcon it whenever they want, but for now they are dead unless officially stated otherwise. Which honestly, I wouldn't mind at all since Chris is who I main in all dream matches.

Like I said though, the comments I referred to were said on the OFFICIAL KOF 10th anniversary page, 5 years ago. The usual rules of engagement are that "Word of God" trumps all, right? That goes even beyond what the games present (which are usually ambivalent until they try to make sense of things some games later, any way).

So, in short, clinging to what may have been the "old explanation" (2K's strikers seems to be the main one) is not really the standard now, it seems.

Speaking of the New Faces, did they ever say if what is sealed is only Orochi's spirit or Chris' body too? However, I don't see how the New Faces evaded that, Yashiro pretty much rips off all of their throats in their own ending, and then there's their 2k strikers. Also, Geese depends on which continuity you are XD

Well, on one hand, I don't think it was explicitly said one way or the other about Orochi's sealing. But on the other, it's pretty plain to see that the New Faces' own storyline and ending didn't happen as was depicted, just like what could be said for a number of the other endings that were presented in that game.

After all, there wasn't any opportunity for Shingo+Kyo's ending to occur like it did, because Kyo and Iori were supposed to have disappeared following the events of the "Shingi Trioca" (Heavenly Treasures) ending, which was definitely the one, true ending of that game.

Everything points to the notion that, as far as SNK is concerned, they just want to keep as many fan faves around as much as possible, without having to worry about fairly insignificant things, like storyline, stopping them.

In other words, now that they've actually gone through the trouble of crafting Mature's sprite set for this new generation of KOF, expect her to stay around for a while. They may go into depth to try and explain how she and Vice survived, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. Because again, they now have the "word of God" fallacy to rely on, which basically gives them free reign to bring back any and all KOF favorites, as they wish.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 09:19:59 AM
I gotta say...Mature w/ an eyepatch turns me on.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 06:27:49 PM
Like I said though, the comments I referred to were said on the OFFICIAL KOF 10th anniversary page, 5 years ago. The usual rules of engagement are that "Word of God" trumps all, right? That goes even beyond what the games present (which are usually ambivalent until they try to make sense of things some games later, any way).

So, in short, clinging to what may have been the "old explanation" (2K's strikers seems to be the main one) is not really the standard now, it seems.

Where is that info? I can't find it. It certainly doesn't help that SNK of America hasn't updated the thing in half a decade >_>

Also, IMO, the 2k strikers mean that to the old SNK they were dead back then, but now it's not the same SNK anymore, it's now SNKP, so anything can happen.

Well, on one hand, I don't think it was explicitly said one way or the other about Orochi's sealing. But on the other, it's pretty plain to see that the New Faces' own storyline and ending didn't happen as was depicted, just like what could be said for a number of the other endings that were presented in that game.

After all, there wasn't any opportunity for Shingo+Kyo's ending to occur like it did, because Kyo and Iori were supposed to have disappeared following the events of the "Shingi Trioca" (Heavenly Treasures) ending, which was definitely the one, true ending of that game.

Yeah, I know that they don't always happen exactly like that even when they are canon.

Because again, they now have the "word of God" fallacy to rely on, which basically gives them free reign to bring back any and all KOF favorites, as they wish.

They didn't need "word of god," they themselves said they were gonna do it anyways XD

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 06:23:42 AM
Where is that info? I can't find it. It certainly doesn't help that SNK of America hasn't updated the thing in half a decade >_>

If it's not on the US site, it definitely was on the JP equivalent. I may have to get my pal's download of the site at that time for more on this...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 11:14:14 PM
It's weird because I think I remember reading something like that too.

Posted on: May 09, 2009, 11:25:05 PM
Important console version stuff.

Real confirmation of co-op plus custom soundtracks? Nice :)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 11:17:29 PM
Custom soundtrack? Sweet.

Gonna play to 'I'm the strongest!'

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cNrj2f0BBo[/youtube]

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 04:07:15 PM
They'd better have Riot Iori in this.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 10:54:54 PM
Custom soundtrack? Sweet.

Gonna play to 'I'm the strongest!'

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cNrj2f0BBo[/youtube]
IGNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZ!!

I know I'll be plenty of Rugal's themes. Seriously, that man gets some epic music.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 11:05:04 PM
Yeah, me, I'll have to find the best version of Esaka and Arashi no Saxophone, those can never miss.

IGNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZ!!

If you have 02UM, you can have some sweet, sweet revenge against Igniz. Just spam Heiderns "helicopter" special over and over, ONLY Rugal dodges/GENOCIDE CUTTAHs it, AND it's [tornado fang]ing unblockable 8)

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 11:12:19 PM
I've yet to pick up 02UM. I'm actually on a bit of a fighting game break after Guilty Gear (JUSTIIIICE ) but I did pick up 98UM and it is absolute love.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 12:00:57 AM
Well, unless you import, you do (unfortunately) have a lil while to wait. 02UM prolly won't be out over here til well into next year, knowing Ignition and SNK.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 12:19:12 AM
No problem for me, then. I need to get the money to buy it first

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
http://www.cyberfanatix.com/index.php?m=single&id=1717

KOF Online looks pretty much like what KOF would be if it was a beat em up. Looks interesting actually, I want to try it.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 09:25:36 PM
That looks pretty damn cool.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 09:26:45 PM
The game looks fun. I've ignored KoF pretty much though, as I'm not kinda that well in fighters. Game looks like it could be made up for the difficulty. Mai and every other character looks well done, too.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.