Misc. Video Game thread

Flame · 15571

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
on: February 12, 2009, 03:18:33 AM
because sometimes we dont want to start  a new topic for a small little commentary.
so yeah. post any  Videogame thing here.
EG, I just bought sonic 06, and im not about to start a thread about it.
so yeah. bought it, beat Shadow's storyline, bout halfway through Sonic's, and im just started with Silver's.
I dont see why this game is so hated... its really not that bad IMO... Sonic's Gameplay feels somewhat odd..., but once youve upgraded him enough, it seems to grow on you a bit. other than that, there are some pretty few parts where I have issues with. very few. mainly the fact that certain sections should automatically do something, but theyre like, semi automatic. like certain of the "auto run around the loop and get launched in the air" segments. they sometimes still require you to air dash to actually land on the platform fine, because if you leave it up to the game, you will most likely not land at all, and fall about an inch short of the intended landing spot.
other than that, i find it good. the Loading times werent THAT bad, I felt more frustrated by MM X7's loading times than that, though sometimes they did feel rather unnecessary. like when it switches between level segments.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:22:21 AM
the Loading times werent THAT bad, I felt more frustrated by MM X7's loading times than that, though sometimes they did feel rather unnecessary. like when it switches between text boxes.
>>;

i'm unsure if it's my sega fangirlisms talking or not but i've liked every single sonic game in the past ten years.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:24:38 AM
point taken on the text boxes...
and yeah, I have too really, just everyone seems to hate it. like Sonic Heroes & Shadow the Hedgehog. Although  I will Admit STHH could have been better. in fact, Sonic 06's Shadow segment was exactly how STHH SHOULD have played.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 03:27:23 AM
Battlefield 2 has a loading screen for the damn menu.

It was always a source of panic for me when I accidentally hit escape instead of F1/F2. D:

The moral of this story is loading screens suck.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:34:38 AM
I love menus~ especially if they are well-decorated and organized. I just love to roam around in them and do random things, like "Sorting my Items", or trying out different equipments on my characters, or pretty much anything to enjoy the artistic look of menus. >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 03:46:17 AM
Random thoughts on video games you say? Well, here's one. Am I the only one who thinks that Super Mario Galaxy really has some of the best art direction ever seen in a video game to date? Sometimes, I wonder if that's what Super Mario Bros. 3 would have looked like if it were made for these times. I really don't know what it is though about the style that stands out to me though, it's the same old characters & to an extent level designs, but something about the actual art behind it and lush use of color just really left a great impression on me.

I'd love to get a hold of a book filled with concept art for the game sometime. That'd be a holy grail for me.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 04:02:33 AM
Am I the only person who hated Puzzle Quest with a passion?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 10:34:15 PM
http://kotaku.com/5151959/activision-compiles-guitar-hero-greatest-hits-for-2009

Holy moly, Activision may have driven a nail in the coffin of my PS2.

...wait, no, I still enjoy FF7, KH1, and Sonic Mega Collection + (save states) too much. And the wireless controllers are very meh.

Posted on: February 11, 2009, 09:31:47 PM
http://kotaku.com/5152117/square-enix-trying-to-buy-tomb-raider

What is this...I don't even...

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 10:42:34 PM
next tomb raider game: lara is going to have smaller breasts and hips, and is going to be decked out in belts and zippers. all while shitty jpop plays in the background, also every male will look like gackt.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:51 PM
LOL, I wanted to post that one! XD

Meanwhile, this recession sucks for so many reasons on the gaming side alone. One big reason is the fact that SEGA of Japan is supposedly closing 118 arcades, canceling many of their internally developed games and cutting their workforce by about 18% due to some budgeting woes. This is after I found out earlier today that Midway filed a Chapter 11.

TL;DR - Mah companies, they be shuttan down. :(

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 11:11:48 PM
TL;DR - Mah companies, they be shuttan down. :(

True... ;w;

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 11:22:05 PM
the local arcade here shut down.. i still have a token for it D:

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 12:49:56 AM
Everything is always sticky in arcades.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 01:27:13 AM
Well the arcade does need to evolve.

Think Starbucks, only with video games.
And food.
...and far less coffee derivatives.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 01:50:23 AM
and rather inexpensive.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 04:42:19 AM
Everything is always sticky in arcades.
this is very large truth.
but theyre still fun. a few still have MvC machines.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 04:57:59 AM
the one i was talking about had an old tetris machine.. and dig dug.

Dig. Dug.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 05:02:06 AM
*hooks and blows up some enemies*

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 05:15:42 AM
Decided to play Contra 1 a few days ago.

Still the same awesome game I remember. Finished it in about 11 minutes with 3 lives, and a Sx1 Rx4 combo. :)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 05:25:38 AM
You know, here's a good random video game thought. For all the advocating I do for StarTropics 3, I really have to wonder now how they'd re-interpret the series for current times. Would Zoda still be the recurring villian? Would the Argonian children excluding Mica get any kind of development? Hell, would there really be a "plot"? Would/could Mica be playable? How about Mike? Would he be (as I hoped waaay back when) something along the lines of Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho personality wise?

Then there's the actual game itself. Would they try and translate the gameplay into 3D while keeping the linear dungeon crawling & platforming or would they go the Zelda route and just give the game a jump feature? Hell, what if they got creative and did something in a Zelda 2 like fashion? I know I'd play a side scrolling StarTropics. Finally, they'd better make Mike's [chameleon sting]ing Island YoYo and it's bad ass forms (Shooting Star & Supernova) his canonical signature weapon. Everyone uses swords, martial arts, magic, & guns, but it takes a certain kind of awesome to use just a yo yo. XD

That ends this random thought.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 06:15:40 AM
Come bust a move where the games are played.
It's hip. It's with it. It's Noah's Arcade. *pose*

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 01:13:23 AM
Haha... I found a few paradoxes in Sonic 06...
fist, when shadow comes back from the future, Omega comes with him.
which means there are now 2 omegas from that point, since the original never went through time. he did it the hard way and "waited".

next, when shadow and silver go to the past, silver leaves the blue chaos emerald behind. meaning theres now 2 blue chaos emeralds.

then, when Sonic goes back in time to the launch of the Egg carrier, he goes to like, a day or two before right? then he beats eggman and him and elise escape all happy and [parasitic bomb]. the sonic from that timeperiod is still there. which means there are now 2 Sonic's.

of course, any paradox that was created, is negated by them preventing iblis and mephilis from being created in the past, but its still fun to note them.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 05:53:38 PM
UGH!

Gawd, this isn't any better! Forget it, Devil May Cry, you had your chance. 4 was tedious, and 3 was fun at first, but then it just gets ridiculous. I mean, THIS is Normal?! Yeah, great, it's more about the combat, but there's still X number of difficulty modes, and 20 missions! And they're not quite as long as DMC4's, but still too long.

Forget it. I tried. I'm done.

Posted on: February 15, 2009, 10:35:17 PM
http://kotaku.com/5155580/smash-bros-creator-and-nintendo-announce-new-title-new-company

"It's not Smash Bros. I asked for."

But that means he asked Nintendo for SOMETHING.

...so what? Lolo? Kirby? ...Star Fox?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 06:09:00 PM
I wish I could get hyped, but I've pretty much broken up with my Wii. If it's anything less than the next Zelda I probably won't buy it, or if I do, finish it.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 06:16:14 PM
He'll pick up Mario Kart and turn it into Nintendo Kart.

Now you can race as your favorite Nintendo character in a small kart.

Except for Samus. She uses her Speed Buster.