Could another Hokuto no Ken fighter (Arc Systems Works and Sega) be on the way?

HokutoNoBen · 3514

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
This hails from Reno, one of the more notable personalities I know in the FG community, as well as a regular poster on NeoGAF and SRK.

Quote from: Reno
According to an arcade operator friend of mine (later confirmed by another source), Sega will be announcing a new 2D fighter at AOU2009 on Feb 28 - 29. The game will be another Sega/Arc Systems collaboration though, so I don't know how much excitement this is going to generate.

Anyway, expect an announcement at AOU for the game. I don't think it'll be HnK2, but you never know...

Now, while he may be doubtful about a sequel to HnK, I personally think it may more likely than one might be inclined to think.

As it stands right now, there's really only two reasons that ASW and Sega would have just cause to continue to deal with each other, in spite of splitting up a couple years back. And those two are Hnk, and well, Guilty Gear X/XX.

Possibly the ONLY reason I can't imagine GG being a part of this, would be because this would do more to interfere with ASW's marketing of their new flagship, HD-marvel, BlazBlue. It's a rule of thumb in arcades that many devs, including Capcom and SNK, have had to learn the hard way: it's NOT good practice to try and market too many of your products at the same time. Especially when you're trying your damndest to make a good impression with something new and untested vs. an old flame that's tried and true.

So, for that reason alone, I could not see a GGXXX, yet. That would only do more to hurt BlazBlue, and I'm certain ASW doesn't want that.

That said, it leaves the window open for either a) HnK 2 or b) something else entirely. Any body who remembers my former SN will probably have a good idea of what I'm personally rooting for, but we shall see!  0v0

In any case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya8XrGL9IU8&feature=channel_page

0v0

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
I've only been able to play the first HnK once, but that was enough for me to get excited over this possible HnK2 8)

Also, that video is awesome  owo

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
You know what else needs a game?

Riki-Oh.

Offline Legendary

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
If there is another HnK game coming out, I'll definitely play it.

Provided, y'know, it's not broken or anything...

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
You know what else needs a game?

Riki-Oh.

I would get behind that, too.

Probably the only one I think could exceed my want for a FG based off of Riki-Oh, would be a FG based off of Berserk or maybe even another one based off of "Osu!! Karate Bu".

So many bad-ass manga series, but nooo...it's just the usual crap like Bleach and Naruto that gets games.  8D

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
If there is another HnK game coming out, I'll definitely play it.

Provided, y'know, it's not broken or anything...

8D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG73SUI4y4U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0seAOBHjxE&feature=related

If it's anything like this, I definitely don't want to play it.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
If you guys really knew how the game operated, it's pretty much a thing that EVERYBODY in the game has something to exploit, so pretty much every character in the game has a chance of winning.

Even the lowest tiered character in the game (my man, Jagi), had a 100% combo that could be pulled off, if one knew what he was doing.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
In other words, it's a very balanced game because everyone is [tornado fang]ing broken? 8D

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
In a word? Yes.

There's a reason why HnK was, in some circles, called the "Japanese MAHVEL". They loved playing that game and finding out everything about the game's engine that could be exploited, pretty much the way Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was over here.

Of course, THEY didn't have a guy like Yipes (famous for "IT'S MAHVEL, BABY!!!" and "[tornado fang] THE KNICKS/ARCANA HEART!") for commentary, but the SBO announcer tried his best...  8)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
There's a reason why HnK was, in some circles, called the "Japanese MAHVEL". They loved playing that game and finding out everything about the game's engine that could be exploited, pretty much the way Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was over here.

And it shows, aren't most TvC players also HnK players?

Of course, THEY didn't have a guy like Yipes (famous for "IT'S MAHVEL, BABY!!!" and "[tornado fang] THE KNICKS/ARCANA HEART!") for commentary, but the SBO announcer tried his best...  8)

If it's the one I'm thinking about, then I agree XD

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Hmm... interesting. I never played the first game, but a Hokuto no ken game is win in my eyes.

also, Jesus H Christ everyone is broken in that game. its SO [tornado fang]ing awesome. XDXD

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.