The new next-gen 2013 Xbox reveal (discussions here)

VixyNyan · 67929

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #450 on: June 20, 2013, 01:05:17 AM
One down, three hundred fifty-nine less reasons NOT to get an Xbox One to go...

USED GAMES, BITCHES! XD
What game is this by the way?

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #451 on: June 20, 2013, 01:08:13 AM
One down, three hundred fifty-nine less reasons NOT to get an Xbox One to go...
USED GAMES, BITCHES! XD
What game is this by the way?
Final Fantasy 15/Verses 13.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #452 on: June 20, 2013, 01:12:28 AM
GAF and the people behind the #PS4noDRM twitter movement that started there are in full on party mode. I don't know how this is going to work out for Microsoft's fortunes (perception is everything in this market and MS even attempting this has to have soured a [tornado fang] load of people buying next gen stuff), but I'm positively thrilled as a gamer to see that our voices were heard.

Now everyone's focusing on Nintendo again because of MS also going full hog and making all of the Xbox One systems region free. THAT was a surprise.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #453 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15:19 AM
What's the catch?

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #454 on: June 20, 2013, 02:03:31 AM
On the region free thing?  Probably the same as Sony.  MICROSOFT isn't going to mandate region-locked content but developers might.

As a whole?  Just because they've turned off the always-online requirement for now doesn't mean they won't reinstate it down the road.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #455 on: June 20, 2013, 02:10:53 AM
Final Fantasy 15/Verses 13.

Well, it's not Versus XIII anymore.

Now it's just Final Fantasy XV.

Offline Ahrzayl

• Crisis Strawberry
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Super Psycho Sweety
    • View Profile
Reply #456 on: June 20, 2013, 02:21:30 AM
Viper, me love you long time for that gif. XD

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #457 on: June 20, 2013, 03:37:45 AM
What's the catch?
The spy camera always watching you

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #458 on: June 20, 2013, 03:44:15 AM
The price is still the same and maybe even more since they have to spend time removing that stuff.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #459 on: June 20, 2013, 03:46:36 AM
No matter what they do, its still not worth it.

Its really just futile.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #460 on: June 20, 2013, 05:41:50 AM
Like I said earlier, things had to change because they had NO choice.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #461 on: June 20, 2013, 06:15:41 AM
Now we can't see how much lower they'll go.

Ride over. :c

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #462 on: June 20, 2013, 06:28:44 AM
Now we can't see how much lower they'll go.

Ride over. :c
The ride is never over. mr. Xboned's Wild ride never ends 8D

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #463 on: June 20, 2013, 08:33:52 AM
Like I said earlier, things had to change because they had NO choice.

Please elaborate.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #464 on: June 20, 2013, 09:38:18 AM
I'm not PB, but I think what he means is similar to what i said earlier. the DRM console was likely a response to the rumor of Sony doing the same. Popularity doesn't mean [parasitic bomb] when there are no other options between the two "big guns". With Sony doing the exact opposite, they HAD to drop the DRM or lose tons of money and clientele to Sony, who wasn't doing it.

It's just common sense business. They had no choise but to drop the DRM in response to Sony not having any.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #465 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:33 AM
So it's a case of monkey-see-monkey-do.

That's just about the worst strategy I've heard.

There's always complaints whenever there's DRM involved (*ahem* Steam). GOG makes a big deal about their "DRM-free" games, and with good reason.

I guess Microsoft can't think for themselves.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #466 on: June 20, 2013, 12:34:24 PM
It's also possible Sony "let Microsoft know" that they were doing an equivalent DRM, just to make sure Microsoft went ahead and did it. Then Sony secretly backed off the idea and let Microsoft jump right in and get squashed as a result. At this point, even though Microsoft take sit back, the damage is done and their PR disaster will live in the minds of consumers for a while. A super cold and calculated crushing blow to ensure Sony's market dominance.

Misinformation such as feeding competitor companies, and their corporate spies, false information has been going on since forever. It's certainly possible that is what happened, but we'll never know. If so, then bravo Sony, what a brilliant move.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #467 on: June 20, 2013, 10:55:30 PM
Quote from: Don Mattrick
Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.
Yea I wonder if the "you're a [tornado fang]ing idiot", "DRM is horseshit", "no gamer gives a [tornado fang] about sports and TV", and anything else in between came across Microsoft... -_- If you want win people over, you should:

- Focus on making it a GAMING PLATFORM
- Cut the TV bullcrap
- Drop Kinect requirement
- Lower the damn price; you're not going to persuade Sony/Nintendo fans from adopting to PS4/Wii U anytime soon with a $500-600 price tag
- Name it something other than "Xbox One" (we get where you're coming at, but it's a stupid name)
- Make the system DRM-free and offline capable form the get-go and not require a patch to do that, you still have plenty of time to undo your stupidity
- Adding to the above, don't ever dare of changing your minds about the DRM and internet requirement midpoint of its life-cycle
- Make it backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games
- Stop bloating Xbox LIVE with ads when people pay for their Gold membership, and stuff that's not really important in general
- And stop making online multiplayer require a quarterly/annual fee, some of us are sick of it

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #468 on: June 20, 2013, 11:03:00 PM
So apparently an upset employee at MS' Xbox division made a statement about his woes in regards to the Xbox One.
http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read

I couldn't let some of that butthurt nonsense fly, so ill copypaste what I responded over there.

[spoiler]"Microsoft might be a big company, but we at the Xbox division have always been for the gamer."

For the gamer? I find that hard to believe when you impose such harsh restrictions on them. Not to mention you might be "pro gamer" but as far as you developer interactions, you are clearly only pro-Large big budget dev, as indicated by your refusal to let Independent Developers self publish on your system. You realize, i hope, how that makes you seem very much the opposite of "pro gamer". It makes you seem "pro corporation, anti-gamer"

"While publishers have never come right out to us at MS and say “We want you to do something about used gaming” we could hear it in their voices and read it in their numerous public statements."

So you can read minds?

" every attempt to slow down the bleeding was met with much resistance from the gaming community."
"So when you buy a game used you’re hurting developers much more than say a movie studio. "

The problem is it all comes back down to the question of how to handle the sale of my legally purchased property.

A game is my legal property once I buy it. Under the law, I own that copy of the software, and am entitled to do with it as I wish, within the bounds of law. Meaning, I can sell it if I wish. By carefully making it a "license" to use the software, and not actual ownership of the game, you angered many, who buy games for the ridiculous prices of today, and then, cannot simply go and sell it like I would an old toy or CD. yes yes, you were "planning" on setting up some kind of used games market. But the fact is you still had the draconian anti game sharing system in place which made it far too much trouble.

"the best selling games are blockbusters, the highest rated are blockbusters, the most loved are blockbusters."

There's the problem. Stop making movies, and start making games. The market is over saturated with wannabe blockbuster games that all jump on whatever trend developer X started with blockbuster AAA game Z. it leads to bad games that are just interactive movies. They still get 10/10 reviews of course, because of the "artistic vision" (and the deep pockets the developers have to market and pay reviewers)

The main reason one might sell a game, is because one did not like said game. Say i play this game here, and i dislike it. it's not to my taste. so i sell it back, and use the money towards another game.

long story short here, and It's something I believe Reggie of Nintendo USA said as well...

Make better games, and less people will sell them back. A great game is one that will often stay with you. you want to keep the games you consider good.

developers have noone to blame but themselves for the current state of gaming and used games. They make these over budgeted AAA games, which then cost $60 each, for a game that might not even be that good, and then expect people NOT to try and get rid of the game. Make games cheaper, and better quality, and there will be less monetary issues with Developers. They don't HAVE to make every game a shot at glory with a high budget movie experience. that's not what made half of those companies what they are. What made Capcom? a cliche'd fighting game and a game about a blue robot fighting a mad scientist.

if they sink more and more money into games, and then require massive sales to recoup the cost, they should not be surprised when the don't make back the money.

let them set up some kind of used games market. I have NO problem selling the game back to the developer. a "refund" if you would.

yet, i don't see them trying something like that. Why? because they don't want games to be re-sold at ALL. OR returned.

"When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to."

I can go to a store with a display for a demo. or just go on xbox live and Dl the demo there, which many games do. I don;t need a friend to buy the game to share a demo with me. people want to share THE FULL GAME, NOT THE DEMO. It's a tradition since the very first video game consoles and cartridges. If a friend wants to listen to your CD, you are not going to tell him, 'here's a 15 second sample of the songs. if you want to listen to it, why don't you buy one?' No, you just lend him the damn CD.

"There weren’t many models of this system already in the wild other than Sony’s horrendous game sharing implementation"
I hope you don't expect me to take you seriously when your only example is 'OH THE TERRIBLE VERSION THE COMPETITOR HAS!'

"we were building a natural social network with Xbox One in itself that didn’t require gamers to open their laptops/tablets to post to their other friends nor did they need to wrestle with keyboard add-ons. Each Xbox Live account would have a full “home space” in which they could post their highest scores, show off their best Game DVR moments, what they’ve watched via Xbox TV"

And that's another problem. Nobody asked for that. We just want a system that can play videogames. if you want to make a social network/tv multimedia device, the JUST MAKE A MULTIMEDIA DEVICE all this extra nonsense with the TV/SPORTS and the Kinect shoots the price of the console up by 100$ for features I will never use. Understand the problem?

"We at Microsoft have amazing plans for Xbox One that will make it an amazing experience for both gamers and entertainment consumers alike. I stand by the belief that Playstation 4 is Xbox 360 part 2,"

You say that like being the 360 was a bad thing. The 360 was a fine game console.

"while Xbox One is trying to revolutionize entertainment consumption."

Nobody wants an entertainment revolution. all we want is something that can play videogames. If I want an entertainment box, i'll use a PC or TV or multimedia box.

"For people who don’t want these amazing additions, like Don said we have a console for that and it’s called Xbox 360."

that's very rude, and infantile, and Don sounded very much like an upset child when he said that. because first of all, the 360 will not last forever. Once the Xbox One and PS4 come out, developers will eventually stop making games for it. Yeah thats nice. 'stick to this dead console if you don't like the new one' VERY "pro-gamer" of you!

And, it's funny you should say that, actually,  Because you described the PS4 as "Xbox 360 Part 2" then told us to 'stick to the 360' which is exactly what people will do. stick to the 360 "part 2" that is the PS4.[/spoiler]

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #469 on: June 20, 2013, 11:12:11 PM
Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Microsoft.

Mr. Xboned's wild ride never ends! 8D

By the way, I read that aloud to Mabel.  Twas fun. 

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #470 on: June 20, 2013, 11:16:08 PM
That poor poor delusional guy.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #471 on: June 20, 2013, 11:21:09 PM

See? Told you!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #472 on: June 20, 2013, 11:36:46 PM
Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Microsoft.

By the way, I read that aloud to Mabel.  Twas fun. 
I'm interested to know her reaction to it.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #473 on: June 20, 2013, 11:49:41 PM
She just stared at me, then fell asleep when I went on a tirade about what makes a good game.  Then, I went outside, came back in, and she's still sleeping.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #474 on: June 20, 2013, 11:52:47 PM
Guess she found it boring.