Quickman · 11858

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 03:55:27 AM
Considering the initial testimonies without a lawyer present (last I checked, one of the girls hasn't even gotten a lawyer.), then it's looking far less likely that this is an insanity plea. 

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 04:01:49 AM
An insanity plea would certainly be the better way to go, rather than the alternative.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 04:12:42 AM
An article concerning a child's ability to separate fantasy from reality.

I'll give the article credit as it doesn't outright blame the media and one of the quotes actually says that parents need to do a better job of providing the right kind of guidance to their kids.

QuickEdit: More details concerning the case

One of the girls claims that Slendy can read her mind.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 02:39:44 AM
Update: The victim has been released from the hospital.

Also, the witch hunt has begun, and at least one journalist isn't happy.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 04:20:53 AM
Ohio Stabbing Linked to Slenderman

The relation to Slenderman in this case is tenuous at best.  It's looking like a witch hunt to me.  The girl in this case has documented mental health issues, which should be the primary focus of the investigation.  Slendy himself is extraneous.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 04:30:24 AM
Seriously?  God dammit people!

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:07 AM
Man... That was painful to read as well... Falling into darkness even.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 04:40:58 AM
I still hope the other 2 girls can get some mental help, I mean they shouldn't get off scott free like some are insinuating but really they need the mental help more. 

Also why would a mom leave a 13 year old girl with mental issues alone at home?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 04:57:44 AM
Mental problems don't necessarily mean that the person is incapable of taking care of themselves.  Many people with schizophrenia live independently.

Also, the term "mental issues" is very vague, as it wasn't alluded to what kind of mental issues.  Other articles mention that she "was not herself" and has no recollection of the incident.  It may have occurred during a dissociative fugue state, which would indicate a dissociative disorder.

Other details reveal dark writings on the topic of killing, but Slenderman, while mentioned, is just that; mentioned.  The girl made a world in Minecraft for Slendy (better hunt down the Minecraft players...  ::) ), and mentioned him in her writings, but as for Slendy being a direct cause, it's unfounded.  It's circumstantial.

If this girl has documented mental health issues, then steps should have been taken to get her the proper care.  Obviously, since she has long been plagued by this, they haven't. 

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 05:00:51 AM
And it falls back to the parents.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 05:03:37 AM
And it falls back to the parents.
It always does unfortunately.  I know that at least my little cousins do things besides play with their iPad like reading and T-Ball plus the family goes out to do activities often so I don't have to worry about them being raised by TV despite the disabilities of the parents and money issues.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 05:06:45 AM
I was partially raised by TV, look how well I turned out! *twitch*

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 05:07:33 AM
I was partially raised by TV, look how I turned out! *twitch*
I know I kind of was but I still went to the park and did extra curricular activities. 

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 05:10:01 AM
But I have noticed that TV nowadays is more... Skewed. That's not to say all TV is bad, just need to be careful with what you watch and such, and with who.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 05:16:11 AM
But I have noticed that TV nowadays is more... Skewed. That's not to say all TV is bad, just need to be careful with what you watch and such, and with who.
It kind of is, Cartoon Network is a lot more mature that it was in the 90's and early 2000's.  It really started getting weird when I got to high school and suddenly the word crap was said every once in a while and Nickelodeon has more shows that are not cartoons anymore either.   That and the standards of cartoons now a days are really low, but that could be my bias talking. 

Then we have the news which some people pointed out seems partially responsible for not censoring dead bodies and violence as they should, along with the fact that Americans supposedly are desensitized to violence but really is it any surprise?

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:55 AM
Psyduck, what is the world coming to...

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 05:22:25 AM
And Disney Channel is full of teen and kid sitcoms, make that of what you will.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 05:22:51 AM
Parents should provide proper guidance to their children and be mindful of the media their children are exposed to.  It comes down to exercising common sense.

If your kid sees something that you wouldn't let them otherwise see, discuss it with them.  Turn it into a learning experience.

When Ringman and I were really young (two and four, respectively), we were taken to the drive-in for a double-feature.  However, the projectionist ran the horror movie first.  So, our first movie-going experience was Return to the Night of the Living Dead.  Our folks helped ease the shock of horrific imagery by pointing out the obviously fake blood and the goofy faces of the zombies.

We're horror buffs, but we didn't go on killing sprees.  We like to read and even write horror, but we won't entertain the idea of actually killing someone.  Hell, I have documented mental health issues, but I'm not completely out of my gourd!

The media doesn't make people bad.  It's the lack of guidance from others that contributes to potentially harmful behavior/decisions. 

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 05:27:14 AM
Woa. I still remembering watching The Blob on TV, which was strangely at a primetime slot, and some of the imagery still haunt me today. My parents changed the channel immediately after a certain scene, but... Yea.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 05:31:32 AM
Honestly I was never really exposed to horror and was never interested.  Then I found it scary now I find it boring, at least shock horror.  That doesn't mean I don't appreciate horror, I liked Frankenstein and Dracula, Marx from Kirby is still the creepiest thing ever, that movie with the people being replaced by plant pods or something was genuinely entertaining and I will always say that I love Who Framed Rodger Rabbit for that insane villain, along with the story. 

Plus not to mention the other creepy things spread into something that seems totally innocent.  You have ti use your imagination after all.

EDIT: Ah finally it was Invasion of the Body Snatchers I was thinking of.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #45 on: June 11, 2014, 06:03:31 AM
The horror genre (that includes creepypasta, as that's a subgenre of horror and more akin to urban legends) itself is not bad.  Horror stories have existed since Man could weave a tale by firelight.  Horror is not everyone's cup of tea, yes, but it in and of itself is not bad and does not spawn serial killers—unless they're fictional.

This is gearing up to become just another witch hunt.  Back in the day, comics were to blame.  It was a relatively new media that adults at the time were not very knowledgeable of.  Thus, you had stories of kids jumping out of windows, because they thought they could fly like Superman.  You had stories of kids committing violent crimes because they read EC Comics' fare like Crime SuspenStories, Weird Science, and The Vault of Horror.  Dr. Fredric Wertham became a household name with his book analyzing this supposed crime-comic correlation, Seduction of the Innocent.

Flash-forward to the early 90s.  Doom has just hit PCs.  It's a gory demonic mess that's enjoyed by young and old.  Then comes the Columbine school shooting and the perpetrators had made Doom level mods (which weren't that great, by the way.  They're still available to play, and they're poorly-done).  Suddenly, Doom is bad.

Early-Naughties rolls around.  You suddenly start seeing cases which blame Grand Theft Auto.  GTA and similar games are now the target of parental watchdog groups everywhere.  Do you know what your kids are playing?

Slenderman and creepypasta is just next in line to be the next media scapegoat, mainly because once again, parents are not providing proper guidance, are not knowledgeable about the material, and are quick to pin the blame onto something that they don't understand.

For the record, Dr. Wertham became an advocate for the comic industry in the 70s, and having read part of his book, he actually researched comics.  Whether or not you agree wi his arguments, you could see the education and research behind his conclusions.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: June 11, 2014, 06:11:28 AM
Interesting, that book sounds interesting. At least he did in-depth research to support his findings and such.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 06:12:12 AM
Yeah really I wish parents had my love for researching media, I don't care about spoilers I want to see what it is so I can understand it before I watch.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 06:15:08 AM
Interesting, that book sounds interesting. At least he did in-depth research to support his findings and such.

It's been reprinted, so you can get it on Amazon at a decent price.  I started reading it because it came in a comics torrent.  It's interesting, particularly if you're a comic historian, but it can be a challenge to read.  The prose is that of a textbook.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 06:16:37 AM
Meep, textbooks.
... Torrent eh? -_-