[News] No New Game for 25th Anniversary (Probably)

Joseph Collins · 32806

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
on: September 15, 2012, 11:48:59 PM
Rockman Corner - Don't Count On a New Game for the 25th Anniversary

Long story short, Capcom USA's CO pretty much said, "There's no plans for a new game for the 25th anniversary."

I'm not surprised.  I'm not even disappointed.  This is pretty much what I've come to expect from Capcom, after all.

That aside, if I really need a Rockman fix, there's always fan games and old games.  For example, I should really give that Rockman EXE for WonderSwan a whirl, now that it's been translated...

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 12:15:24 AM
Actually he didn't say that at all. All he said was that no one has promised a game; that's different from saying that there are no plans for one. There can still be one, but no one has really said for sure or promised one will be there. Nothing more nothing less. He's just teasing as he has been lately, that's all.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 12:18:35 AM
I have no expectations from Capcom until they get new management.  And honestly they've really been digging a hole for quite some time and not just for Megaman if from what I'm hearing from DmC fans latly is right.

To this day I'm not giving up on Megaman, but Capcom really had some backwards logic when they don't really put effort into the games and advertisements save for the few Japanese commercials.  Heck I love the commercial for Kirby games because they're so cheesy, the last commercial in the US I saw was for the Megaman anniversary collection.

Not to mention the last few games were quite lazy, I'm still looking at you Starforce 2 and Operation Shooting Star, and Megaman 9 and 10 only suceeded due to nostalgia. Heck I still don't count Starforce 2 as cannon and consider Starforce 3 to be the real sequel to Starforce because that was the game that made me love Starforce. Honestly the first game was quite terrible but I didn't knock it too much because it was the first game but the battle system was  really bad, though the fact that I can change Geo's name anytime I want was hilarious.

Honestly if Capcom doesn't figure something out for all their series then I don't see them succeeding because they can't count on Resident Evil forever and I really think the fighting game fad will die for them since they don't do much for it.  That and fighting game expansions with just a few enhancements are a real kick in the balls.  It's a real shame because I kinda like MvC3, it's my second favorite besides the Blazblue series.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:20:11 AM
I have no expectations from Capcom until they get new management.  And honestly they've really been digging a hole for quite some time and not just for Megaman if from what I'm hearing from DmC fans latly is right.
Ya know, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what he meant by "keep your expectations in check" :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 01:06:20 AM
So, if Mirby turns out to be wrong, then all we can expect for the 25th anniversary--a goddamned milestone celebration in any medium--is an overpriced soundtrack collection of music we already have for free, a shitacular-looking iPhone game that might not be a good crossover, and despair. Despair and lots of it.

I'm gonna quote what Magnet_Man of TMMN had to say on this, for he speaks the truth:

The problem is that Sven keeps saying that Mega Man is a valued brand, yet the company actions consistently contradict this in very glaring ways.

The last game we had was MM10 in early 2010 which was just a digital download and sold on nostalgia only. The last time we had a physical game was in 2007 with ZX Advent and the last time we had a new console game was I believe X8 in 2004. We’re hitting a 10 year gap of no console games soon, but we’re always being told “be patient, be patient”.

My question is, “Why should we?” What has Capcom done to deserve our patience and faith at this point? After cancelling every game with Mega Man’s name on it at once and openly saying he isn’t good enough for their big-name crossover games, the only reason they even acknowledge that Mega Man has an anniversary is because we raised such a stink about how badly we’ve been treated which is why they won’t have anything to show.

People were expecting a game because that is what it would take to start regaining our trust. A game with some actual effort put into it, not another shameless nostalgia grab.

No, I wasn’t expecting a game released in December, but I was expecting an announcement of something in the works. Even if it was just saying “yes, we’re making something, look forward to E3, be patient”. So now that that’s been shot down, I don’t give two ***** what they have to say in December, if they bother to say ANYTHING outside of burping “Mega Man’s 25. Good for him” on their front page.

We don’t deserve a game in compensation? Sorry, but I’m going to very aggressively disagree with that. Mario got a re-release for his 25th, but that’s not too bad because Mario’s future isn’t uncertain. Same with Kirby. Metroid didn’t get a 25th anything but they did get Other M recently and despite how horrible it was it still shows that Metroid has a future with Nintendo. What has been going on with Mega Man? NOTHING. Everything’s been cancelled and he hasn’t been allowed anywhere near this generation of consoles, which is one of the longest running ones we’ve ever had.
Even Sonic has had games come out on this generation. Good ones, at that.

We need a game. A game with effort and some money put into it because it would show Capcom has confidence that it would have some return on it. If we aren’t getting a game and no implications about a game coming out that isn’t a re-release or compilation then I don’t give a **** about what lip-service garbage gets thrown our.

If the past few years had been different, if any form of Mega Man made it in MvC3, if Legends 3 had come out it would have been different. I would’ve given Capcom some slack, but at this point and after all that has happened, I will accept nothing less than a new game and it needs to have some effort put into it.
And not be another Goddamn love-letter to Zero like ZX was.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:41:49 AM
though the fact that I can change Geo's name anytime I want was hilarious.

For the fact that you can name him anything gives benefit to the current customization feature, though I actually did pity Geo for the [parasitic bomb] he went through. I'd be pretty pissed too if I lost my dad to E.T. and a bunch of my "friends" are more like dicks than anything.. wait..

Does that make it Shooting Star Spider-Man now? (come to think of it, SEVERAL of Marvel's newer works seems to have a Mega Man/general japanese cultural influence these days..)

Honestly though, I know where Metal_Man comes from now, and my point that Capcom NEEDS to change it's business strategy WITHOUT the aid of nostalgia goggles for this series still stands.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 01:55:26 AM
Yeah I like Geo too I understand Geo in the first game, the second was a huge step back with the whole Sonia working with the bad guy and breaking their Brother Band because she thought bad guys can keep their promises.

Then he became a badass in 3 or at least on par with Ace, Acid, Omega-Xis, Heartless and his Dad.  Hell even Bud and Luna become pretty Badass in the game and I wish Sonia had more awesome moments after the Diamond Ice incident other than just protecting Geo at the Dealer base.  I also feel really sorry for Zack since he's pretty much in the background but at least he gives helpful info to Geo.  Hell King is my favorite badguy in the series he was a threat and really enjoyed what he was doing and not giving anyone a danm.  He was like Master Albert except given a real personality.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 02:15:37 AM
Yeah, King was a just a nice change of pace from the usual foe Mega Man gets to fight. I mean, he does want to take over the damn world, yet he acts like he already owns it and wants to expand his horizon to the universe. What other Mega Man baddie does that?

I can understand why most people did not like Star Force as the rest of the fans felt it was sort of held back compared to ZXA.. but I felt that the Mega Man battle network and Star Force series had more personality at the same time when you compare Mr. Match to someone like Axl from the main Classic-X-Zero timeline, though most people did not like StarForce and BattleNetwork as it strayed from the traditional run and shoot formula (this can also be the case for the Legends series as well, despite it having a much more colorful cast of characters and it only took like what, the Mega Man cartoon to give a shred of personality to the bosses?).

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 02:58:06 AM
I wanted to write something witty here, but I realized there's little point to that since everything has been done to death.

I would really like if we would at least get some kind of... dunno, Rockman Manga. I know that asking for a REAL new game is simply too much.
But at least gimme a manga.
Plz?

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 03:00:19 AM
For Megaman's 25th Anniversary, Capcom isn't cancelling any Megaman games.  That's our present.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 03:14:24 AM
For Megaman's 25th Anniversary, Capcom isn't cancelling any Megaman games.  That's our present.

An incredibly backhanded present, considering what Xover is shaping up to be.

When will they admit that they not only don't care about Megaman or the fans, but actively despise them? I mean, they're heavily implying it with their actions; why not just say it?

I know that asking for a REAL new game is simply too much.

No it isn't. We suffered three cancellations in a row; I'd say we deserve a game that had actual care and effort put into it.

Offline DjKlzonez

• B-Class Hunter
  • Once a year
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 03:15:46 AM
For those who don't have an iPhone, there are no games.

What are we celebrating again?

Steam       Youtube

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 03:25:26 AM
Well, there's that really nice Classic Megaman D-Arts...that won't be available to us until after the anniversary...

*sob*

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:22 AM
CAPCOM
Disappointing fans since the fall of Inafune.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 04:13:12 AM
No it isn't. We suffered three cancellations in a row; I'd say we deserve a game that had actual care and effort put into it.
Don't be stupid.
Of course IT IS.
It's too much to ask of such a [tornado fang]ing terrible company, that is.
That's what I meant.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 04:14:39 AM
Ah. ._.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 04:24:58 AM
We'll see. I'm not shocked though.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 04:30:36 AM
We'll see. I'm not shocked though.

I had already resigned myself to accept that Xover would be THE 25th anniversary game, so yeah, me neither.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 04:40:58 AM
I mean, Street Fighter is getting a gorgeous chess set for it's 25th.

Thus far, nothing. If you're going to give us NON-game [parasitic bomb], then at least make it some decent, well made stuff.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 04:45:09 AM
*looks up the chess set*

And I thought the blatant favouritism in that SF 25th anniversary package was bad enough.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 05:01:15 AM
I mean, Street Fighter is getting a gorgeous chess set for it's 25th.

A chess set, a collection all Street Fighter games available for current consoles + goodies (anime, a statue, music, art book, etc), and worlwide tournaments with cash prizes of a $500,000 total + A [tornado fang]ing SPORTS CAR for a game that its own fandom hates for the most part.

Gee I wonder which franchise is Capcom's favorite.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 05:02:15 AM
I mean don't get me wrong. Remix albums are pretty [tornado fang]ing awesome. However, I would really like some decently made crap. Not just toys. A couple of nice statues or chess set. A full live Proto Shield. A goddamn X teleporter porta-potty for [tornado fang] sake!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 05:14:04 AM
I would have been just fine with another art book or something.

Heck I wish we could have the Megaman X manga translated, sure the art is old as heck but it's the second best manga next to Megamix.  I mean come on, X goes  Knight Templar in the X4 manga after Blizzard Buffalo is killed and Zero has to live with Repliforce since he was irritable to the Hunters to the point that he attacked X and everyone else if I remember the Japanese scan correctly.  That's way better than X5 and much deeper than X4.  But I know it's not going to be officially translated and it's not going to be fan translated anytime soon but man it would be awesome.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 08:08:37 AM
A goddamn X teleporter porta-potty for [tornado fang] sake!
It would be the capsule that gives you the Hadoken. Just for the Street Fighter jab.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 09:00:45 AM
It funny because they didnt like Street Fighter either, and actively tried to get Ono to do something else, something "profitable" before he pushed 5 out the door and it sold like hotcakes, prompting Capcom to pour everything into it. They didnt seem to be willing to recreate the magic with their other "unprofitable" mascot franchise. But Capcom has consistently proven that recently, they have terrible business sense.

And I agree with Magnet Man. A new game with actual effort for the 25th will be pretty much the only thing I would accept as a real 25th anniversary present for the franchise. Anything less than that is just petty change tossed at us to shut us up.

"OH LOOOOOOK, WE MADE A REEEEALLY EXPENSIVE E-CAN SOUNDTRACK COLLECTOR TIN! ITS EXPENSIVE SO THAT MEANS IT HAD EFFORT PUT INTO IT! SEE? WE CARE!"

No Capcom. It's stocked with rehashed soundtrack CD's.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.