ModNation Racers

Protoman Blues · 8960

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: June 11, 2010, 11:51:58 PM
I think you have to build up your meter, IIRC...

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Copy X

• B-Class Hunter
  • RPM's Forgotten Warrior.
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: June 11, 2010, 11:53:28 PM
By storing your attack item and going over another attack box it goes up one level. I forgot to mention that in this game there are "properties" of certain attacks as well such as losing weapons and deleveling. haven't spent the time into to tell you all the details but thought I'd mention that.

To try something new, is to explore your true potential.

-CX

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: June 12, 2010, 12:23:58 AM
By storing your attack item and going over another attack box it goes up one level. I forgot to mention that in this game there are "properties" of certain attacks as well such as losing weapons and deleveling. haven't spent the time into to tell you all the details but thought I'd mention that.
Pretty much just like in Pure/Burnout then.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: June 12, 2010, 12:40:28 AM
Like Burnout and Pure, then.

Yes!

Now, been wondering about this for awhile. Are the items balanced? Any blue shell-like crap? Can anyone here give a small description of the items?

The items are completely fair, well thought out, and balanced IMO.  I'll give a little more info on the weapons...

Missiles
LVL1 - Missile shoots straight ahead, does not lock on, ricochets off walls about 2-3 times before exploding into wall.
LVL2 - Two missiles shoot out, lock on to opponent ahead of you.
LVL3 - Macross missiles shoot out, missile targets every opponent in front of you.

Lightning
LVL1 - A bolt shoots out straight ahead of you, does not lock on, slightly stuns opponent
LVL2 - Chain bolt shoots out, locks on to opponent ahead of you, will stun opponent plus person right next to him as well (not sure if it's everyone or just 1 person)
LVL3 - A missile shoots into the sky, sky goes dark, a lightning bolt comes down and strikes every opponent in front of you, stunning opponents even more

Sonic
LVL1 - A small sonic ring appears around your cart, stuns opponents next to you
LVL2 - 3 sonic mines launch in front of you, unleashes sonic bombs, slightly stuns opponents
LVL3 - A sonic wave fires in front of you, stunning all opponents in front of you

Boost
LVL1 - Limited boost forward
LVL2 - Longer boost forward
LVL3 - Creates a warp tunnel in front of you, you warp forward and appear several racers ahead of you depending on your position, opponents behind you can also use warp tunnel if drafting behind you (last part is according to Lou)

Weapons are leveled up like Copy X said.  Also, weapons can be lost as well.  I know the Sonic definitely gets rid of weapons, but I'm not sure about the Lightning & Missiles.  LoL, up till 4:30AM playing last night and I forgot!  XD

I do know that sideswiping your opponent lowers the level of your weapon as well.  That much I do remember.

But like I said, the items are completely fair and are not cheap in any way.  This is where the beauty of the strategy aspect of the game comes in.  You can hold onto your weapon to level up, but then you run the risk of losing it.  You can store up your shields, but they can still run out.  To me, THIS is what Mario Kart lost after MK64, and what I miss about the game the most.  This is why I love the game so much.  It actually brings challenge, strategy, and effort back into kart racing games, instead of just blind luck.  Although, some of the challenges in Career Mode definitely give you the MK A.I. out to get you aspect!   8D

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: June 12, 2010, 12:48:47 AM
Yes!

The items are completely fair, well thought out, and balanced IMO.  I'll give a little more info on the weapons...

Missiles
LVL1 - Missile shoots straight ahead, does not lock on, ricochets off walls about 2-3 times before exploding into wall.
LVL2 - Two missiles shoot out, lock on to opponent ahead of you.
LVL3 - Macross missiles shoot out, missile targets every opponent in front of you.

Lightning
LVL1 - A bolt shoots out straight ahead of you, does not lock on, slightly stuns opponent
LVL2 - Chain bolt shoots out, locks on to opponent ahead of you, will stun opponent plus person right next to him as well (not sure if it's everyone or just 1 person)
LVL3 - A missile shoots into the sky, sky goes dark, a lightning bolt comes down and strikes every opponent in front of you, stunning opponents even more

Sonic
LVL1 - A small sonic ring appears around your cart, stuns opponents next to you
LVL2 - 3 sonic mines launch in front of you, unleashes sonic bombs, slightly stuns opponents
LVL3 - A sonic wave fires in front of you, stunning all opponents in front of you

Boost
LVL1 - Limited boost forward
LVL2 - Longer boost forward
LVL3 - Creates a warp tunnel in front of you, you warp forward and appear several racers ahead of you depending on your position, opponents behind you can also use warp tunnel if drafting behind you (last part is according to Lou)

Weapons are leveled up like Copy X said.  Also, weapons can be lost as well.  I know the Sonic definitely gets rid of weapons, but I'm not sure about the Lightning & Missiles.  LoL, up till 4:30AM playing last night and I forgot!  XD

I do know that sideswiping your opponent lowers the level of your weapon as well.  That much I do remember.

But like I said, the items are completely fair and are not cheap in any way.  This is where the beauty of the strategy aspect of the game comes in.  You can hold onto your weapon to level up, but then you run the risk of losing it.  You can store up your shields, but they can still run out.  To me, THIS is what Mario Kart lost after MK64, and what I miss about the game the most.  This is why I love the game so much.  It actually brings challenge, strategy, and effort back into kart racing games, instead of just blind luck.  Although, some of the challenges in Career Mode definitely give you the MK A.I. out to get you aspect!   8D
Aaaaaah, that sounds much better. And the items seem more balanced. As long as there's no blue shell-like weapon, that targets one single person who's got the best position, I'm okay with it. This does seems like you're hit with weapons alot, though.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: June 12, 2010, 12:53:03 AM
Less items=less hassle, I guess. owob

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Copy X

• B-Class Hunter
  • RPM's Forgotten Warrior.
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: June 12, 2010, 01:00:30 AM
^ Someone was definitely playing up all night yesterday. lol
Good stuff on the better descriptions.  owob

You do get attacked a lot in this game which is why there are different ways to build up shields. More than makes up for it, but there are instances where it still fails.

I'm finally come to the conclusion that the best way to summarize Career mode: You'll hate it... but you'll love it at the same time. Does that make sense?  XD

Who got some Third Strike in my Racer?  8D

To try something new, is to explore your true potential.

-CX

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: June 12, 2010, 01:07:11 AM
Aaaaaah, that sounds much better. And the items seem more balanced. As long as there's no blue shell-like weapon, that targets one single person who's got the best position, I'm okay with it. This does seems like you're hit with weapons alot, though.

That's why shields are so important!  And even then, they won't always save you. XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: June 12, 2010, 01:09:37 AM
That's why shields are so important!  And even then, they won't always save you. XD
Well, GOOD. Because shields are only useful 5% of the time when you get them in other games.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: June 12, 2010, 01:12:11 AM
Well, GOOD. Because shields are only useful 5% of the time when you get them in other games.

They are 75% useful in this!

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #60 on: June 12, 2010, 01:56:15 AM
Once I get this, I'm gonna want to add people to my friend list so I can race them...

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: June 12, 2010, 02:04:36 AM
Can someone enlighten me as to what feature to try out first when I get this game?

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: June 12, 2010, 02:32:41 AM
Can someone enlighten me as to what feature to try out first when I get this game?

I'd say Creation Station. Make your character first.

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: August 11, 2010, 08:27:14 PM
I GOT IT AT LAST! OHHH MYYY GOOOdNESSS, this game reminds me a lot when I played Crash Team Racing, only ModNation is wAaaayyyy better. The character custom thingy this GREATNESS, the kart maker is also very very awesome, and how funny the game is as well, I have never had any more fun with a racing game like ModNation, soooo, anybody still playing this game?

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #64 on: August 11, 2010, 08:33:03 PM
I do! I still play!

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: August 11, 2010, 11:27:33 PM
I imagine you have your tag at the PSN topic right? I'll add you when I get home.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #66 on: August 11, 2010, 11:35:28 PM
That it is. *nod nod*

My thread of Random Crap

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: August 11, 2010, 11:39:09 PM
Cool. Alive and kicking again.

Also, I still play. No one will download my stuff, though. [tornado fang]

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: August 11, 2010, 11:57:32 PM
I GOT IT AT LAST! OHHH MYYY GOOOdNESSS, this game reminds me a lot when I played Crash Team Racing, only ModNation is wAaaayyyy better. The character custom thingy this GREATNESS, the kart maker is also very very awesome, and how funny the game is as well, I have never had any more fun with a racing game like ModNation, soooo, anybody still playing this game?
ME. It's so damn addicting because of motherfuckin' Creation Station. owob

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: August 12, 2010, 03:22:30 AM
I will DL your stuff Idylleaus Euclidea! XD

Signature:

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: August 12, 2010, 04:02:15 AM
I will DL your stuff Idylleaus Euclidea! XD
It doesn't have to be everything, if that's what you're thinking.

My PSN is in the thread, the second last post.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: August 12, 2010, 05:57:32 PM
Aahh,ok, so I got some tracks last night, dang, really really really great minds out there.

Signature:

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: August 28, 2010, 11:26:34 AM
I'm still awaiting the region unlock before i play it seriously again =/ I've got too many american friends and too many other games to play.

If i want to play a racing game i can actually play the majority of my friends against then i'll play Mario Kart =/ Modnation is a good game don't get me wrong but they've been saying "Oh the region unlock is coming in the next update" and then backpeddling and claiming they never said anything like that >_>