ModNation Racers

Protoman Blues · 8919

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
on: June 07, 2010, 07:46:08 AM
Okay, so I've owned this game for literally a day and I've decided to make a topic about it.  Now, those PB fans who actually remember and keep track of what I say and post might remember my huge E3 2009 post last year in which I stated that ModNation Racers was the game I was most interested in that was showcased at E3, because it looked like a fully customizable Mario Kart 64.  Well, I can safely tell you that it's not and that once again I don't think any game will come close to topping Mario Kart 64 as my favorite racing/kart game ever made (okay it's my 2nd fav game of all so it's a tough bar to cross).  HOWEVER, after playing it for a good portion of the day, I can probably safely say that Mario Kart Wii serves little purpose, and that Nintendo is going to have to do something really extraordinary with their next Kart game to top this.

Again, I haven't played a huge portion of it yet, but ModNation Racers is an absolutely fantastic game.  It's so customizable that you can literally spend your entire day in the game and not race, but instead create and mod your character, your kart, and your own race tracks.  The customization in the game is pretty much flawless, cept of course for them charging you real money for stuff at times.  Not a whole lot mind you, but PB ain't having none of dat. 

As you progress in the Career Mode, you unlock more items in which to customize your character/kart/track with.  The Career Mode itself is a lot of fun, with hilarious dialog & writing, very silly scenarios, and of course lots of fun driving.  The handling for the karts is similar to Sonic & Sega All Stars, in terms of drifting, but I believe it handles it better.  Not only that, but you can customize your handling as well.  Also, the drift/boost system is very well done and adds an awesome level of skill & strategy to the game.

When you drift, you build up your meter.  The longer you drift, the more meter points you get.  What's great is that you can use your meter for 3 things: boosting, shields, or sideswiping.  This is where the skill & strategy comes in, because all 3 meter abilities are very useful.  The weapons in the game are very creative, even though there are only 4 of them: bolts, missiles, sonics, and turbo.  The creativity comes in with the ability to upgrade your weapons with each item box you get.  The level 3 weapons are pretty devastating and this is why one might want to save their shields instead of constantly boosting.

Another great feature of the game is the fact that you can share your customizations with everyone, as well as download other people's creations as well.  Currently I have the Green Ranger and Lion-O for racers.  I haven't even fully explored all the customization features yet, but what you can do is incredible, just judging by what I've seen available for download.

All in all, this is a game I would highly recommend to all PS3 owners who love Mario Kart type games.  This game is sexcellently awesome.  I hope some RPMers get it so they can race with the PB!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:47:44 PM
That's pretty damn awesome. Honestly, Sega All-Stars has been my favorite "kart" title for awhile, and if any game can capture the gameplay and make it better, it's a damn winner on my book.

....now, how are the level creation tools?

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:24 PM
TIME TO SAVE UP SOME MOOLA!!

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:03:28 PM
....now, how are the level creation tools?

Flawless.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:12:46 PM

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:19:29 PM
The create-a-track part piqued my interest when I saw the ad for this (and the customization for EVERYTHING ELSE), BUT I DON'T HAVE A PS3!!! BAAAAAAAWWW! ;^;

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:22:51 PM
Well, when I did it I had four locals to choose from, Jungle, Temple-ish, Desert, and I forgot the other.  Then you can paint scenery all around or just go straight into building your track.  You have a pretty good portion of road that you're allowed, and you can even choose what kind of asphalt you want to use.  You can arrange the track however you want too, adjusting the angle & height of the track and everything.  After you build your track, you can populate it with all kinds of [parasitic bomb], like boosters, jump lifts, item pods, hazards, and all types of [parasitic bomb].  One really great thing is the Auto-Populate feature, which you can run along the track like a paint brush and it will essentially do it for you, scenery & everything.  If you don't like some choices they made, you can remove anything you don't like and put in anything you want.  I like it for the scenery building aspect of the Auto-Populate.  At any time, you can test drive your track or do preview mode which allows you to watch AI Racers go along the track.  

Can't think of anything else with it.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:29:14 PM
Well, when I did it I had four locals to choose from, Jungle, Temple-ish, Desert, and I forgot the other.  Then you can paint scenery all around or just go straight into building your track.  You have a pretty good portion of road that you're allowed, and you can even choose what kind of asphalt you want to use.  You can arrange the track however you want too, adjusting the angle & height of the track and everything.  After you build your track, you can populate it with all kinds of [parasitic bomb], like boosters, jump lifts, item pods, hazards, and all types of [parasitic bomb].  One really great thing is the Auto-Populate feature, which you can run along the track like a paint brush and it will essentially do it for you, scenery & everything.  If you don't like some choices they made, you can remove anything you don't like and put in anything you want.  I like it for the scenery building aspect of the Auto-Populate.  At any time, you can test drive your track or do preview mode which allows you to watch AI Racers go along the track.  

Can't think of anything else with it.
Can you make tunnels? What about pipes? Can you make pipe-roads that allow you to race around them in 360 degrees?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:30:30 PM
Can you make tunnels? What about pipes? Can you make pipe-roads that allow you to race around them in 360 degrees?

From what I saw, yes.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:32:33 PM
*drools like an animal* DID I HEAR THAT RIGHT?

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 10:34:32 PM
Oh wait, if you mean like F-Zero type racing around pipes, then that I'm not sure of.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:10:54 PM
From what I saw, yes.
YES

Oh wait, if you mean like F-Zero type racing around pipes, then that I'm not sure of.
Awww.

What about 90 degree turns with quarter-pipe vertical roads?

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:04:55 AM
I sooo friggin' want this game! So, where would you advise getting it for the lowest price?

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 12:44:11 AM
I sooo friggin' want this game! So, where would you advise getting it for the lowest price?
Depends on where you are, but Amazon usually has good deals. If you live in Europe, though, there are a few good sites that make it cheaper.

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 02:52:25 AM
The create-a-track part piqued my interest when I saw the ad for this (and the customization for EVERYTHING ELSE), BUT I DON'T HAVE A PS3!!! BAAAAAAAWWW! ;^;
Hey, you have a card, right? And the George Foreman Grill 3 isn't 599 USD anymore.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 02:53:54 AM
You do know I'm as stingy as niggards, right? (for lack of a better term) And how the [tornado fang] are we gonna have THREE consoles in our home?

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 02:56:58 AM
You do know I'm as stingy as ni**ards, right? (for lack of a better term) And how the [tornado fang] are we gonna have THREE consoles in our home?
There are plenty of good online sellers that sell it for a great price. Plus, great games, and you can share downloadable games by account share. =P

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 02:58:17 AM
ni**ards

• "Niggard" is not a bad word by any stretch of the imagination
  • "Niggards" is not a group of people
  • "Niggard" means one who hoards things, so your phrase is redundant

Take these to heart, grasshopper. Also: I'm not buying a PS3 on my own.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 03:00:10 AM
There are plenty of good online sellers that sell it for a great price. Plus, great games, and you can share downloadable games by account share. =P
Cool. I'll think about it.
  • "Niggard" is not a bad word by any stretch of the imagination
  • "Niggards" is not a group of people
  • "Niggard" means one who hoards things, so your phrase is redundant
I'm WELL AWARE. But there's a slim chance there are people in here that don't know that. -_- Fix'd anyways.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 03:32:32 AM
And how the [tornado fang] are we gonna have THREE consoles in our home?
LIKE DIS.

I got that piece of furniture out of the garbage. It's pretty sweet, and can withstand massive console weight. Of course now I moved the 360/PS3 to a space to the right because the HDMI cable's not big enough. At least now there's space for the Saturn and the X-Box.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 03:42:51 AM
Unfortunately, my big bro has the Sexbox 360 in his possession. And my father would not approve of me buying an additional console.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 03:46:40 AM
Unfortunately, my big bro has the Sexbox 360 in his possession. And my father would not approve of me buying an additional console.
Why not? Tell him there are few games for the one you own at the moment. Tell him you'd keep it in your room.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 03:51:18 AM
Well, I'd need an additional TV, which would be expensive and empty out my debit card, and if I told my father that, he wouldn't believe me.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 04:53:31 AM
Well, I'd need an additional TV, which would be expensive and empty out my debit card, and if I told my father that, he wouldn't believe me.
Hook it up to your monitor or something.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 04:56:53 AM
What about 90 degree turns with quarter-pipe vertical roads?

Um, I didn't see anything like that, so I'm not sure.