Grinding.

Marnic · 6296

Offline Marnic

• Net Navi
  • Burning with the nintensity of a thousand suns!
    • View Profile
on: April 14, 2009, 07:48:38 PM
You know you love, you're just afraid to admit it in public.

You especially like it when you've been grinding for hours and suddently you die/the battery dies/your game system dies/electricity goes out. That way you'll spend more time doing it over, right? You purposely don't save for the soul reason of re-doing it all.

You love getting held back and not to being able to see any more of the thrilling story because of a huge boss you can't defeat and you have to grind for to beat.

You love to grind to beat the hidden over-powered boss that's undefeatable unless you've maxed out everything.

You love grinding for the sake of grinding, this is your chance to let it off your chest once and for all and tell everybody about it.

Discuss grinding and what game you're grinding in at the moment.

Persona 3 and 4 over here.

The irony of having a Disgaea related avatar.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:17:38 PM
I dunno...I really do pertain to the camp that does more to believe that grinding is an out-dated mechanic for games, just like random battles.  8D

Case in point: Dissidia - Final Fantasy.

I will openly admit that, after the time I spent with the game, it really does more to feel like a lackluster "fighting game". But the biggest thing? Grinding. WHY do I have to grind, just to be able to complete my dude's moveset and get cool stuff for him, so that he can be "competitive"?

And it's not like they have a sort of "World Tour/Campaign" (think Street Fighter Alpha 3 or Soul Calibur 1/2's mode), where this sort of crap can be reserved for those who have the patience, or actually DESIRE this type of thing, leaving normal people who just want to fight on an even plateau alone. No, you are FORCED to grind (or exploit the "glitch" that's available), if you want to do more to see everything the game has to offer.

That, in the end, was what really made me drop Dissida like a bad habit, and plenty others followed suit because of similar reasons.

I'm praying, for the love of all that's good, that Tales of Vs. handles this entire thing better, if it MUST have grinding that's unavoidable part of playing the game. But I would much rather have a World Tour/Story Mode for this type of thing, and let me and my friends just kick-ass in a "plain fashion".

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:35:26 PM
Disgaea
This ended your thread before it began

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:10:53 PM
Grinding? Shin Megami Tensei Online at the moment. Apart from that, nowhere else, I think -- unless you count prepping a couple characters on my friend's PSP Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX in World Tour mode (which I love from the deepest corners of my heart <3 ).

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 02:19:30 AM
i usually don't play games where grinding can occur. at least, not the usual suspects of RPGs. i have done it in recent Castlevanias to farm for rare weapons, armor, souls, whatever. the last instance of this was in Order of Ecclesia, leaving Up held down for three days to farm attribute points.

i farmed EXP there for a while, but once i realized i didn't need to get all the way to lvl 255, i stopped.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:03:13 AM
I remembered this back on the old board...
And I remembered mentioning Pokemon... -_-

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 04:57:44 PM
I used to be able to grind my ass when I was younger. For some reason I can't anymore. I wish I'd find a game I can happily grind in again.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 05:35:36 PM
I don't mind grinding. Sometimes it gets boring, but I like to see LVL 99 or something next to my character's name.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:04:34 PM
For me, it depends entirely on the game. If I don't enjoy the game in the first place, what's the point of grinding for it, right?

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 06:08:50 PM
This ended your thread before it began
this, seriously.
nothing can compare to the amount of grinding to be had in disgaea.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 06:18:49 PM
The closest I've ever come to grinding would be in Pokemon, and getting my favorites up to LVL100, but that mainly has to do with using my LVL100 to battle my friends, not to see them up to 100.

Grinding is probably a huge culmination of what I don't like about some video games.  To me, like MMO's, it almost seems like a [tornado fang]ing chore, and my entertainment should never, ever be a [tornado fang]ing chore.  Hell, everything mentioned in the first post is why I don't play those types of games really. However, for those who enjoy grinding, enjoy it while you can.  When you get older, your free time becomes more and more limited, and soon you really won't have the time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 06:24:29 PM
this, seriously.
nothing can compare to the amount of grinding to be had in disgaea.

You'll eat those words as soon as there is a MMORPG without level caps.

I'm sure there is one already, but I don't know sicne I don't play MMORPGs.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 06:29:50 PM
LV200 in Phantasy Star Online is satisfying to get. ^o^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 06:31:22 PM
You'll eat those words as soon as there is a MMORPG without level caps.

I'm sure there is one already, but I don't know sicne I don't play MMORPGs.
mmo private servers tend to do that, but they completely nullify that by upping the experience rate to 1 hit: max level, lolololo.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 11:55:44 PM
Grinding? all the time in Tales of games. I love to master arts.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 12:11:15 AM
I should mention Wildtangent's Fate, the Diablo clone where the whole point is grinding through an infinite dungeon. There is a character level cap, but not a stat or dungeon floor cap until the Two's complemente 32-bit integer overflows, so you can go to level 2^31 of the dungeon, and get items that boost your stats so much that your HP will become a huge negative number and automatically die. [tornado fang] YEAH

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 12:13:05 AM
I should mention Wildtangent's Fate, the Diablo clone where the whole point is grinding through an infinite dungeon. There is a character level cap, but not a stat or dungeon floor cap until the Two's complemente 32-bit integer overflows, so you can go to level 2^31 of the dungeon, and get items that boost your stats so much that your HP will become a huge negative number and automatically die. [tornado fang] YEAH
That sounds fuckin' sweet.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 03:46:14 AM
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.  Arena.  5-Star Hard Mode.   EEEEEEVIIIIIIL!!!!

Yeah, camping for experience generally blows.  Not always, but usually.

And PB's mention of chores and getting older basically took the words out of my mouth.  He's spot-on for both points.  Pokemon is especially severe, because for any non-hacker the amount of time that goes into an "ideal" competitive team build is positively ludicrous.  Make one mistake, and it was all for nothing.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 04:02:10 AM
I don't mind grinding if there's something to keep my mind off of grinding, like bitchin' loot, some sort of crafting system, skimpy outfits and an irresponsible amount of cleavage.

I could probably grind forever if the EXP rates stayed constant.  The only time I ever give up on grinding is when I get like 1% EXP for each battle.  One hundred battles for a level up?  [tornado fang] that.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 04:19:03 AM
Point taken, which is probably why grinding Shadow Dragon on Normal was tolerable.

But if there is one thing worse than having to fight 100 battles for a level-up, it's having to run away from 10, and heal the 2/3 or so health you lost every battle anyway, for every victory.  Hard mode's Arena is borderline pointless.  Merric got one-rounded before I could even forfeit, for crying out loud.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 04:40:28 AM

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 04:51:13 AM
Good, I'm not the only one.  :|

Offline Trike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 05:08:57 AM
I hate grinding. I will do it for an RPG if I need to, but I do not find it to be enjoyable. MMORPG's are worse, as most of them just feel like a giant grinding simulator. It is especially worse if there is a quest where you have to be a certain level to continue in the main quest. I just hate the repetitiveness of it and I end up getting sick of the game. 

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 07:45:27 AM
I liked the old Moraff's World because there was nothing to do but grind.  The "hunting for bosses" concept in later versions wasn't as fun as grinding.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 03:34:53 PM
I can't remember the last time I played a game where grinding for XP was necessary, but I do remember being so bored I almost fell onto my keyboard.

But somehow, grinding Gorgon Heads in Order of Ecclesia to get shiny lootz was A-OK. I was pissed to find that I was nowhere near 100% item collection rate, afterwards...