The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 729757

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4825 on: November 08, 2015, 05:49:31 PM
Other M would have been a perfectly acceptable Metroid game if it weren't for its writing. Unfortunate.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4826 on: November 08, 2015, 09:16:09 PM
Short-hair Samus was a qt.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4827 on: November 09, 2015, 12:20:13 AM
Other M would have been a perfectly acceptable Metroid game if it weren't for its writing. Unfortunate.

Other M's writing is awful but so few people seem to point out it's mediocre level design and awful first person game play mechanics. That is what really killed the game for me, I'll admit I smiled when I got to fight Nightmare again though.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4828 on: November 09, 2015, 02:24:38 AM
Level design is slightly below par for the series, but I'd still say it kicks the crap out of Fusion.  Control-wise, my only issue is the Grapple Beam.

I do find flaws in Other M's writing, just never what the rest of the internet is bitching about.  I have no issues with Adam or with Samus, in fact I positively love the expansion to Samus's character.  Melissa, though, is the textbook definition of anticlimactic.  Their depiction of the Space Pirates requires some serious no-prize thinking, but it does work for the most part.

Other M cast a big giant spotlight on just how shamefully self-righteous an alleged fanbase can be.  I am sick and tired of listening to people complain that the game is sexist after it tells us that Samus is the most powerful human in the galaxy.  She's no longer an avatar of the player, she no longer thinks what we project onto her, and people who can't deal with that feel dirty, so they have to come up with some socially progressive excuse to justify themselves.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4829 on: November 09, 2015, 04:16:32 AM
My issues with the writing had nothing to do with supposed sexism but rather how they kept beating us over the head with the baby references. It wasn't clever it was annoying. Also I did have an issue with Samus' breakdown during Ridley's reappearance-but not likely for the same reasons as some other fans. I mean she's fought him how many times since the first game? Why would that happen now and never again after? Just seemed forced to me. I don't think the game is sexist at all-just poorly written, it so desperately wants to be deep and dramatic but pulls it about as effectively as a Megaman story. (Not that well  8D )

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4830 on: November 10, 2015, 01:48:27 PM
Near the end of Other Cheese (Nightmare encounters). This game is shorter than I remember.

Man, the story gets worse every time. Samus makes zero sense in this game.

Still having an okay time, though. I did practically the whole thing in one sitting, which to me is always a good sign about the pacing. Really wish they didn't restrict exploration so much. There are moments in Other M where you almost feel that Metroid-y desire to go back and grab a few items, but they literally lock the doors to previous areas and you can't go anywhere but straight ahead. Even Fusion didn't do that, I believe.

I also think the game would have been better (even with all its problems) if it had some optional upgrades. Things like Diffusion Beam, Seeker Missiles and Screw Attack could easily be optional, and they can definitely be useful in combat so it would be great to go out and hunt those on our own. I do like the Accel Charge, but maybe it would have been better as just one item that cuts charge speed by 70% or something instead of a bunch of mini upgrades.

I like that new feature where if you defeat all enemies in a room, item dots are revealed on the map. I think it's good incentive to stick around and clear the room. Too bad 50% of the time you won't have the upgrade required for that item and the game will lock you out of it until hours later.

I'll finish tonight. I'm thinking about playing Super Metroid right after this, which should be... interesting, haha.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4831 on: November 10, 2015, 06:14:49 PM
Playing 3.1 of Final Fantasy 14 Heavensward and I'm so excited to continue the story.  :)

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4832 on: November 10, 2015, 10:56:57 PM
On the 9th and final chapter of Trails in the Sky SC. It's been a bit short of two weeks since launch and I'm 63 hours in thus far. Overall a bit trickier than the first and perhaps a bit better balanced with equipment and magic customization. For example giving my tank the best offence and defence items will actually just subtract from one another and level it out pointlessly. Also Estelle continues to shine as one of the best female leads I've seen in a game.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #4833 on: November 11, 2015, 12:44:46 AM
Man, the story gets worse every time. Samus makes zero sense in this game.
I guess you could call her

Zero Sense Samus. 8D

what

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4834 on: November 11, 2015, 12:48:22 AM
I don't think I understand that pun....then again this is sans.......

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4835 on: November 11, 2015, 12:56:24 AM
Dr. Peppercut: approved! ;)

And it's done! Finished Other M in 5 hours plus change. I'm leaving the post-game stuff for another time. I'm planning to do another 3D Metroid mini-marathon with 100% items in these games. It's been forever since I did 100% in the Prime series. Should be fun and different enough from the any% route.

This is still probably the weakest Metroid (I only say 'probably' because I haven't put much time into Metroid 2... but I wouldn't doubt M2 being better than Space Baby), but still pretty enjoyable IMO. I'm gonna do a quick Super Metroid run tomorrow just to see how crazy the difference must be playing these games one after the Other.

And after that, back to the GameCube for my first Viewtiful Joe playthrough in like 8 years. Henshin a go-go, baby!

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4836 on: November 11, 2015, 01:03:06 AM
I don't think I understand that pun....
Um... Zero Sense Samus = Zero Suit Samus...? -u-'

then again this is sans.......

* geeeeettttt dunked on!!
8B

what

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4837 on: November 11, 2015, 01:03:47 AM
Thank you.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4838 on: November 11, 2015, 02:12:07 AM
but they literally lock the doors to previous areas and you can't go anywhere but straight ahead. Even Fusion didn't do that, I believe.
Fusion did that all the time, actually. It's what makes it one of the weaker Metroids in the exploration aspect. Metroid 2 is rather linear as well, for the most part.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4839 on: November 11, 2015, 06:44:46 AM
Fallout 4!

It's sooooo good.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4840 on: November 12, 2015, 12:58:55 PM
So, Super Metroid right after Other M... LOL

Yeah, you kinda feel like playing this game forever in that scenario. So good. It's almost overwhelming being able to go (pretty much) anywhere after you play such a restrictive Metroid like Other M.

Quick run, took only about 1:40, but I spent half an hour trying to cross the missile lake without Speed Booster/Grapple. Still can't do it, and even if I do there's still Phantoon to worry about. But I'm getting more confident at least. What I'm not getting more confident at is fighting Ridley... >_> I wonder if I'll ever beat this guy without nearly having a heart attack.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4841 on: November 29, 2015, 04:07:19 AM
To prepare for the PC release of Disgaea 1 I decided to run through the DS version again on a completely new file.  Goddamn I forgot how fast Laharl runs around the Castle Hub, holy [parasitic bomb].  I might consider just using the D-Pad for better control if I don't get used to it.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4842 on: November 29, 2015, 07:52:46 PM
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

Man, I knew this game was good, but man is it good! 8D

what

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4843 on: December 01, 2015, 10:33:14 AM
Neptunia Rebirth 3

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #4844 on: January 18, 2016, 08:08:28 PM
I've been replaying Shadow the Hedgehog. Delicious Narm is Delicious.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4845 on: January 18, 2016, 08:44:51 PM
replaying Shadow the Hedgehog

Why would you do that to yourself

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4846 on: January 18, 2016, 08:47:52 PM
Believe it or not, I've yet to play a Sonic game that I actively dislike. I'm actually a big fan of both Shadow and '06. Hell, I even managed to get the full 1000GS on the 360 version of '06. That was pretty fun.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4847 on: January 18, 2016, 08:51:17 PM
Believe it or not, I've yet to play a Sonic game that I actively dislike. I'm actually a big fan of both Shadow and '06. Hell, I even managed to get the full 1000GS on the 360 version of '06. That was pretty fun.
I'm actually a big fan of '06.

Such a being does not exist. I am hereby concluding that you are not of this Earth.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4848 on: January 24, 2016, 09:00:02 PM
I got back to Bravely Default, and after an arduous battle I triumphed against  Lord DeRosso without having to resort to using Ninjas.  Holy hell thank you Hermes Sandles and Edea doing 9999 with a Drain Effect, and thank goodness for Phoenix Downs.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4849 on: January 29, 2016, 08:17:35 PM
Welp, finished the Last Story on Shadow the Hedgehog, so Im'ma take a break from that for a while....

Think I'll move to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for now. I'm hoping to pick up a 'Cube soon, so this'll be a fun way to kill time.