The Capcom/SNK Playmore Debate

geekgo4 · 3541

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
on: July 23, 2010, 07:50:59 AM
 Because making a SSFIV vs KOFXIII would be obvious and overrated. During the time when arcades were alive, the was a major between Capsule Computers and Shin Nihon Kikaku. The Vs. games pretty much brung bsck that rivalry.

It seems that because they made the fighting game genre more popular, many paople are familiar with Street Fighter(especally the 2nd generation) than any other fighting game back then. Those that do remembrt will often call a non-Capcom fighter a ripoff. Art of Fighting and World Heroes get this a lot.

But anyway, thich Company do you prefer in terms of gameplay, characters, music, and appearence?

I did like that SNK Playmore tries to upgrade their characters, givivg them new attacks, new clothes, new sprites, and try their best not to make the characters just stereotypes. Capcom hardly uses sprites anymore.

[spoiler]Maybe I shouldn't have put this on a forums dedicated to a Capcom Title.[/spoiler]

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:07:19 AM
I liked that SNK tried new things with their characters for each installment. On the other hand, this usually made it a tad more difficult to get into a new installment right away, due to the modified movebase.

Also, I dunno about the stereotypes part. I'm pretty sure there's a few in there.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:41:45 AM
I can fondly remember using Ryu in his orange gi, tearing ass all the way to Bison in Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers on my Sega Genesis. Felt good, man.

On the other hand, a friend of mine introduced me to King of Fighters when I was on a fighter kick and I've been hooked ever since.

From everything I've tried, SNK didn't really get it "right" until they got to King of Fighters 96. I tried the Art of Fighting games and a few Fatal Fury's.

Really, I'd have to say I prefer King of Fighters mechanics alot more than Street Fighters. The first time I played KoF.. 96 I think it was, I fell in love with Kyo instantly. One reason. His special combos. Chaining three QCF-P's felt so wonderful. I don't actually know when Capcom introduced something like that. I know Ryu had it in Street Fighter EX 1 or 2 with his hurricane kick. I know Juri has it in Street Fighter 4. Other than that, don't know. Also, the ability to run. No more moseying over to your opponent and getting nailed with a fireball for you troubles. My favorite tactic is a pure bum rush with someone like Terry Bogard or Kyo. It works wonderfully against Goenitz in 96.

Characters are also better in King of Fighters, too. A few characters might share a few moves or similarities, but it's not like Capcom when you have.. God damn, how many shoto clones? Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sakura, Gouken, Sean.. I'm missing some, aren't I?

BUT.. Then SNK turns around and bites you in the balls. Mother of god, SNK Boss Syndrome. I have never been so frustrated then against some of these mother fuckers. Rugal, Zero, Igniz, Magaki. Those assfucks from Neo Geo Battle Coliseum. At least bosses like Final Bison in SFA3 and Bison in Street Fighter 2 were fair in their ass whippings. But a [tornado fang] like Magaki? Have you ever experienced Bullet Hell in a 2D fighter? You thought a Tiger Shot spamming Sagat is annoying? Go fight this mother [tornado fang]er.

Anything else? Um. Didn't mention Last Blade or Samurai Showdown or Garou, even more excellent SNK fighters. So yeah, I guess you could say I prefer SNK, the cruel mistress they are.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:54:42 PM
I think Saturday Night Slam Masters II: Ring of Destruction was one of the only Capcom Titles to have a running feature.

Also, I kinda like Gill over Igniz. Despite being a God, Gill at least, use his Muscular Body to attack, Can you expect a piledriver from a deity. He was very colorful, and he did had good intentions. Igniz was all black and gray, all clothes and energy blasts, and a total God-Complex.

Also, Gill spoke english.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 05:16:57 AM
I think Saturday Night Slam Masters II: Ring of Destruction was one of the only Capcom Titles to have a running feature.

Also, I kinda like Gill over Igniz. Despite being a God, Gill at least, use his Muscular Body to attack, Can you expect a piledriver from a deity. He was very colorful, and he did had good intentions. Igniz was all black and gray, all clothes and energy blasts, and a total God-Complex.

Also, Gill spoke english.
Igniz made me so angry I've never touched KoF '01 again. At least when I was playing SFIII for the first time, I felt like I could beat Gill. The only thing stopping me was his stupid resurection. Igniz felt like a futile attempt that made me want to put the controller down.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 02:28:33 PM
SNK is the guy batting 100 balls hoping it'll result in some home runs. Capcom is the guy taking his time and lining up to make sure every hit is a home run or damn close.

SNK has had some great games, among many other not so great games.
Capcom has been consistently great for the most part, but has far less games.

I like a mix and match really. I like Ken Masters, Alex, and Chunli, but I also like Kyo 2k, Iori, and Terry Bogard. Third Strike and Garou are my favorites from each company. Not counting the crossovers, KOF2000 and 2002 are probably my other SNK favorites, and SSFIV and Alpha3 are my other Capcom favorites.

I definitely prefer 6 buttons over 4 though. I guess CVS2 is the happy middle road. I love that game.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:43:03 PM
While were on the subject; is Breaker's Revenge, SNK property?

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:59:32 PM
I definitely prefer 6 buttons over 4 though. I guess CVS2 is the happy middle road. I love that game.
Really? I prefer 4 over 6. God, could you imagine how much more complicated Geese/Rock Howard's Deadly Rave would be? Lord knows it took me awhile to get that puppy down on 4 buttons let alone when Capcom Vs SNK 2 added in Medium Punches & Kicks.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 05:35:52 PM
I don't think it is. ADK Titles, however, are.

Also, a 4 button layout is a bit more preferable than a 6 button one.

SNK does tend to innovate, and they help the fighting game genre a lot more than Capcom. World Heroes had unique intro animations for each character. Fatal Fury had the plane jumping and side stepping. Art of Fighting had the power gauge, close ups, fade backs, bruised looks, and animation where the loser collaspes. And a unique story(as unique as it can get back then in fighting games). Samurai Shodown whas the first fighting game (post SFII) to feature weapon based combat.The King of Fighters had 3 on 3 matches, was the first fighting game crossover, and had a feature where the characters can dodge, roll, and run. Salvage Reign combines some of these features and Kizuna Encounter, from what I heard, was the first to have a tag team switch out. did I miss anything?

Also to note that Capcom fighters tend to go for a more cartoony/animeish look, whereas SNK fighters tend to go for a more realistic look.

One thing I always did like about SNK Playmore. They at the very least, upgrade their characters, by giving them new looks, clothes, attacks, and animation. Terry bogard, their Mascot(well, one of them) has four attacks since Fatal Fury 1(Power Wave, Rising Tackle, Burning Knuckle, and Crack Shot). In The King of Fighters, he has learned Power Dunk and Power Charge. Let's not forget Power Geyser, Overheat Geyser, and Buster Wolf. He also wore a long sleeved jacket in FF1 before losing the sleeves and wearing a new jacket in Garou:MOTW. Actually, Many characters could have a good SSB/JUS movepool. Many Capcom characters, however, don't tend to get any upgrades. Guile has remained unchanged for 19 years.

Also, SNK gives their characters new themes and they're a bit more catchy than Capcom's fighter themes.

Is it me or is Street Fighter basically the "Super Mario Bros." of fighting games?

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 06:35:19 PM
Igniz made me so angry I've never touched KoF '01 again. At least when I was playing SFIII for the first time, I felt like I could beat Gill. The only thing stopping me was his stupid resurection. Igniz felt like a futile attempt that made me want to put the controller down.

I'm convinced that beating Igniz without cheesing his AI depends entirely on his mood, while I'm convinced that Gill (and Seth btw) is over rated. Sure he has resurection and it really is annoying, but you can hit him out of it so it won't be that much of a pain in the ass to kill him again.

Nope but I still love it <3

World Heroes had unique intro animations for each character.

World Heroes was not made by SNK, they only own it >_>

Anyways, I prefer pretty much everything SNK, gameplay, music, art, characters, etc. You could say I'm an SNK fanboy.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Legendary

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 06:48:38 PM
I prefer Capcom personally. SNK fighters in general feel slower for me.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 07:23:29 PM
I prefer Capcom personally. SNK fighters in general feel slower for me.
Are you sure? It can be fast at some times. Especally KOF98 and World Heroes Perfect(I know they didn't make, but considering they own it, it still counts to me).

I tend to thin the Hyper Street Fighter II is a bit too fast.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 08:55:56 PM
I like the 6 button, or 3 button the most. Having that middle variety for moves is a very good tactical addition in my opinion. I just feel there aren't usually enough options of attack with simply a strong and heavy, even if two sets.

Even the 3 button layout is preferable to me over 4, since you have a middle option. Also works better than 6 at times when fighters have a wide variety of characters who use many attacking styles, including weaponry combat. See also BlazBlue.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 10:44:36 AM
I prefer SNK. The characters especially appeal to me.

Ruuuugaaaaaal~

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 02:13:30 PM

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 04:16:06 AM
Genocide Cutter to the face
Let's not forget the God Press.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 01:02:53 PM
Or the Dead End Screamer.

Seriously, why didn't he have that in 2002? I loved watching Rugal leap onto someone's head, break their neck, and then spin like a mother [tornado fang]er all the while laughing and taunting you.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 08:43:08 AM
Or the Dead End Screamer.

Seriously, why didn't he have that in 2002? I loved watching Rugal leap onto someone's head, break their neck, and then spin like a mother [tornado fang]er all the while laughing and taunting you.

Guess they found that attack silly. It did look a bit silly.

Funny note that Rugal was original going to copy attacks from enemies, but do to limited memory, they scrapped it. It would have been so great to see that. But then, Rugal pulling out a Psycho Ball...

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 02:09:09 PM
Guess they found that attack silly. It did look a bit silly.

Funny note that Rugal was original going to copy attacks from enemies, but do to limited memory, they scrapped it. It would have been so great to see that. But then, Rugal pulling out a Psycho Ball...
Like Rogue from X-Men Vs Street Fighter? Yeah, it would've been interesting, but that's why we got Rugal using Geese Howard's Reppuken and Krauser's Kaiser Wave. And of course, in CvS2, he gets Akuma's Ashura Warp (which he spams worse than Akuma ever did) and Raging Demon.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 09:01:31 AM
The more I think about it, the more I believe that Street Fighter is the Super Mario bros. of fighting games. It is a bit more casual than SNK fighters. It populized the fighting game genre, and their characters are less developed than SNK, but one can say that they're more known BECAUSE they're less developed. Many players choose shotos because they're the most recognized of all fighters. Everyone knows what a Hadouken or Shoryuken is, but only the most dedicated gamers know what a Burn Knuckle, Buster Wolf, of HaoShokoken is.

Those who don't even play video game even know who Red M is, as well as Pokemon.

Thinking about it, Guile players could still use the same stagerty they used 16 years ago... or that's what I thought.

You know, maybe that Simpsons article was right. The best characters are the less developed and more stereotypical. That bit does help the fact that nobody(well, not casuals anyway) really pays attention to the deeper stuff within video games and Nintendo knows this(a little).

Ironicallly, Street Fighter is the ONLY known fighter from Capcom. Of course, Capsule Computers themselves hardly care about the other fighters they made.

Maybe there will be a day when an SNK fighter will be shown at an offical Tournament in the Unite States. There are many SNK Fighting games that can be used for tournament play. In fact, so many, it could have it's own showcase.

Why hasn't EVO showcase an SNK fighter? They're not as casual as Capcom's fighters, Mortal Kombat, nor(ESPECALLY) Super Smash Bros., but not as complex as Arc System Works' Fighters. The characters are a bit more realistic than Capcom's Animeish/Cartoony Cliches or Arc Systems Works' uh... bizarrness.

At the very least, The King of Fighters should be more known than Guilty Gear.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 02:29:05 PM
Why hasn't EVO showcase an SNK fighter?
Because then they'd have to use more than just Mango Sentinel, Storm, and Mag-[tornado fang]ing-Neto and that would simply be a tragedy.

And anyone who doesn't know what BUSTAH WULF is needs to go educate themselves. That's just terrible.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 03:28:38 AM
SNK games are a little harder to get into than Capcom games, and the sprites may not look as visually pleasing as 3S', but the games are far more technical and they're a lot more fun to watch.  They're also more balanced from what I can tell.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Helada Quemadura

Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 07:41:21 AM
Let's not also forget to mention how SNK bosses are so hard they have a term called SNK Boss Syndrome and that started even before the fighting game era with Athena. Come unprepared and you're [tornado fang]'d.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 02:29:02 PM
SNK games are a little harder to get into than Capcom games, and the sprites may not look as visually pleasing as 3S'
Nothing looks as visually pleasing as 3S or Garou.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 10:42:31 PM
Because then they'd have to use more than just Mango Sentinel, Storm, and Mag-[tornado fang]ing-Neto and that would simply be a tragedy.

No, the basic thing just boils down to how SNK games, by and large, have never developed a large/uniform scene in the West. Your games get a community, and then you get a possibility of having a showing at EVO. That's how it basically works (money and politics aside, because after all, EVO is very much a commercial event where there is profit to be had).

But the Western SNK scene, as a whole, has been so fragmented and unorganized. There's no unified tournament front, or at least, none to the degree that describe the ones behind ASW and Capcom's games.

The single best hope of a SNK game changing the tide and forming a scene, lies explicitly with KOFXIII. The game has been doing well in Asian arcades (in spite of the bugs and glitches that have been found, hopefully a "Tougeki" fix will be imminent), and has the makings for being a solid game. Too bad XII had to do a lot to jeopardize that. I mean, it's good that Konami is helping out SNK with publishing duties in the arcade for XIII, but it's a whole different ball game when it comes to US publishing duties and how Ignition is still very salty.  -u-'