The reason why the US Devroom is still online

The Great Gonzo · 4815

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: October 04, 2012, 06:44:53 AM
http://www.rockmancorner.com/2012/10/why-is-us-legends-3-devroom-still-online.html

"Seth and I actually discussed this decision at great length around the time of the game's cancellation. On the one hand, it's a bit of an artifact attesting to the disappointment of many. On the other hand, a lot of people spent a lot of time and mental energy in populating that digital space with messages, illustrations, conversation, and so forth. People made friends there. We also felt that while the game didn't make it through, the experiment of the Devroom was a success in the sense that it proved that we had the ability to use our community outlet (Unity) to actually gather and incorporate ideas from the community in a big way.

The Devroom was not kept open for any kind of financial gain or to spread some kind of secret message. It's just that it had accomplished enough positives and been a home to enough people that it felt like the right thing to do. Things are a bit more complicated on the Japan side where the Devroom was its own standalone site that required a sustainable budget, not to mention the difference in cultural perception. Leaving that page running on their side would have likely left a lot of fans very confused and left Capcom Japan open to an awful lot of snappy remarks."

I have a hard time believing that CoJ couldn't have left its equivalent up without much hassle (after all, they've very good at ignoring their own customers), but I think this helps show that CoA is at least a bit more likable than the other two branches (my frustrations with CoA aside).

Archer

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:49:34 AM
Who cares about likeabilty

in the end, all you care about is what they release

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 07:07:02 AM
Who cares about likeabilty

in the end, all you care about is what they release

If I don't like them, I don't buy their stuff.

Or in this case, I'm far, far less inclined to support anything not MM-related.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:45:20 AM
I like to think it'll take too much work for Capcom to actually take down the site.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Archer

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:00:52 AM
Or in this case, I'm far, far less inclined to support anything not MM-related.

why would you judge a game based on the company that made it

a game is a game

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 08:13:10 AM

a game is a game

It's not that the games are bad solely because of Capcom's reputation (though apparently RE6 isn't looking too good); it's just that even if I could play them, I can't find the motivation/justification, because the walls of CoJ's offices are lined with dicks.

I like to think it'll take too much work for Capcom to actually take down the site.

Maybe? The JP Devroom went down pretty damn fast, IIRC... (Was there a European Devroom?)

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 09:47:34 PM
I have a hard time believing that CoJ couldn't have left its equivalent up without much hassle
Especially considering how many sites they still keep up, like each Zero game's.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 12:08:51 AM
Got a good chuckle from that.  I'd probably agree if not for the fact that somebody actually bothered to fix the broken Servbot system.

I think CoA is about as close to a dignified branch of Capcom as we've got.  Too bad CoJ calls the shots.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 12:49:34 AM

a game is a game

Allow me to rebuttal that statement.

How can you judge a game if it doesn't exist?

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 05:20:36 AM

a game is a game
I can see the rationale behind that, and I FULLY subscribe to the idea that boycotting an otherwise good game based solely on the company name attached to it hurts the creative developers a lot more than it does the corporate assholes.

On the other hand, our grievances are with the developing company, not merely the publisher, and that puts us in a dilemma.  True as the above statement may be, if Capcom knows what we want, and they refuse to supply despite every damn follower knowing full well they have a perfectly marketable "prologue" product gathering dust on their hard drives, then why SHOULD we embrace their substitutes?

It's a pain in the ass.  As much as I want to forward their creativity, I do not want to submit to such a bait-and-switch, either.  It's not even that they didn't make a worthwhile Mega Man game; they made one (albeit a small one) and deliberately withheld it.  Capcom needs to rectify that before I even THINK about touching their new IPs, and they're lucky that I'm enough of an Ace Attorney/Monster Hunter crack addict to even continue supporting them.  Will I miss some good games?  Of course I will.  But the reality is, there are more "good games" out there than there is time for me to play them all, and if I want to experiment with an uncertain but promising IP, I'm not going to do it with a company that experimented with me only to kick me in the teeth at the last second.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:08:43 AM
Just steal the game and you can have your cake and eat it too.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 06:52:23 AM
Tell me what vault the Legends 3 Prototype is in and you've got yourself a deal.