Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #401 on: January 31, 2013, 01:33:08 AM
I hate to be "that guy", who says that the world is better off for a game that I have little to no intention of playing being unavailable to the rest of the hemisphere just because.

But, here's the thing: In any sane world, XOver is not to be directed at us.  We know it, CoA knows it, the birds crapping on Sven's roof know it. It's a throw-away designed to stick Mega Man's name into the heads of people who are looking for a zero-value time waster.  Does CoJ know that? Honestly, not so sure. Problem is, we ARE being drawn to XOver for the sole reason that Capcom has jack [parasitic bomb] otherwise. It's NOT the game for us, but it's all we've got, and that in turn damages confidence in Mega Man as a brand.

XOver cannot carry the franchise.  Period.  CoA sees that and probably wants to at least hold off until it can run alongside something else.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Archer

Reply #402 on: January 31, 2013, 01:50:35 AM
[spoiler]But CoJ doesn't care about Megaman[/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #403 on: January 31, 2013, 04:28:51 AM
But CoA does, and can, with the right data, change opinions on brand viability. They ARE, still Capcom, after all. They do not have much creative freedom with brands, but their data on matters regarding a key franchise that is currently in stagnation hell, which they have NO idea what to do with, is important to CoJ. That's all they really want, data. numbers. They could give three shits about what every single Megaman fan in the world thinks, but if one of their branches gives them some numbers, that does mean something. At least more than anything anyone else tells them does.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #404 on: February 01, 2013, 02:28:46 AM
It seems that ever since Legends 3 made it cool, truly anything and everything has to aspire to getting "100,000 Strong."

Well...I guess it'll be entertaining to see whether or not they can overtake the Mega Man Universe page...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #405 on: February 01, 2013, 02:37:50 AM
I don't know what I should be more weirded out over.  The fact that X-Over got a page like that despite the fact it's only been delayed and not canceled, though I really shouldn't be surprised, or the the fact that the Universe Page still has under 200 likes, though I shouldn't be surprised by that either.  I also apparently liked the Universe page a while back though I barely remember that I did that.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #406 on: February 01, 2013, 03:04:58 AM
It seems that ever since Legends 3 made it cool, truly anything and everything has to aspire to getting "100,000 Strong."

...you mean 100,00 Strong...

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #407 on: February 01, 2013, 03:07:41 AM
...you mean 100,00 Strong...
Oh god that's just hilarious. XD

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #408 on: February 01, 2013, 03:42:34 AM
I just don't know what to say to that. Except they have [parasitic bomb] taste if they care THAT much about Xover.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #409 on: February 01, 2013, 03:48:38 AM
Or perhaps it's, you know, a troll.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #410 on: February 01, 2013, 08:37:00 PM
MMU 100k Strong - Started 2011 - 150 likes total

lol

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #411 on: February 01, 2013, 11:31:50 PM
I know, right?  I try to keep that link handy whenever somebody claims that Legends 3 is only popular because it was cancelled. >w<

It's amazing how taking Powered Up 2, giving it [parasitic bomb] controls, and trying to pass it off as the aesthetic middle ground between Disney's Tron and Angry Birds, doesn't get you much in the way of recognition.  The only thing that game proved was that Inafune actually CAN make "mega" catch-phrases sound badass.

Archer

Reply #412 on: February 02, 2013, 12:06:48 AM
I find it sad that you people complain about how much you want Legends 3 and put effort into only to then laugh in someone else's face when they do they same for something they want.

You are terrible hypocritical people.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #413 on: February 02, 2013, 12:10:02 AM
I find it sad that you people complain about how much you want Legends 3 and put effort into only to then laugh in someone else's face when they do they same for something they want.

>implying it's the same thing at all

Archer

Reply #415 on: February 02, 2013, 02:55:47 AM
>implying it's the same thing at all

but it is

someone wants something to come out that was cancelled

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #416 on: February 02, 2013, 03:11:11 AM
But it wasn't canceled, it was delayed.

Archer

Reply #417 on: February 02, 2013, 03:28:52 AM
But it wasn't canceled, it was delayed.

MMU

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #418 on: February 02, 2013, 03:53:41 AM
MMU
not really a fair comparison

this is out in some form

mega man universe was cancelled before it was out at all

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #419 on: February 02, 2013, 03:57:49 AM
Mega Man Universe was cancelled before they even made gameplay trailers

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #420 on: February 02, 2013, 05:10:50 AM
Actually, the opposite is true.  Not only were the trailers out there, but Universe was playable at public events before it was cancelled.  I got a taste of it myself.

First of all, all of my negativity was directed at the game, not the fans.  I'm laughing at a piece of programming, not at a group of people.

Second, I'll gladly be the hypocritical prick if that's what it takes to strike down the flawed logic of "the only reason anyone cares about Legends 3 is because it was cancelled".  Universe is the control group that proves it false.

Third, no it isn't the same. Nobody opened up development of Universe to the public, and granted full coverage of the initial greenlight meeting, only to cancel it without warning behind closed doors five months later.  Nobody ever said that the reception of a trial version of Universe would decide the game's fate and then pulled said trial before it could be received, after specifically asking the target audience to be patient for it following a nonspecific delay.

And perhaps most importantly: Mega Man Universe was nothing new.  It had the exact same strengths and weaknesses of Powered Up, which failed, and applied them to Mega Man 2, which Capcom had already spent the last two Classic installments dry-humping.

Make no mistake, despite my being unimpressed I still would have bought Universe if it came out.  And I'd have loved to see it overturn my expectations the way MM10 did.  But the bottom line is that Universe had a lot to prove, made a playable appearance, and through that playable appearance, proved nothing.  And all of that was before Inafune left; I'm not sure anyone besides him understood what exactly the game was supposed to be in the first place.  I can't in good conscience tell Capcom that they were wrong to cancel it.

Absolutely none of that is applicable to Legends 3.  The devs were psyched and on-track, the response from the extremely few who did play it was positive, and a full-featured 3D adventure could have gone a long way to establishing Mega Man as a relevant force in modern gaming, as opposed to the NES relic that he's otherwise been easily dismissed as ever since the nostalgic shock of MM9 wore off.  Capcom destroyed it all because it was a "dead brand" fueling a too-scary-open community.  Bull.  [parasitic bomb].

As desperately as I want the game, there's more to it than that.  They were wrong to cancel it, and doing so was a detriment to the franchise.  I happen to also really want to play Rockman Online, but I wouldn't throw the same weight behind it.

Archer

Reply #421 on: February 02, 2013, 06:51:18 AM
Third, no it isn't the same. Nobody opened up development of Universe to the public, and granted full coverage of the initial greenlight meeting, only to cancel it without warning behind closed doors five months later.  Nobody ever said that the reception of a trial version of Universe would decide the game's fate and then pulled said trial before it could be received, after specifically asking the target audience to be patient for it following a nonspecific delay.

Oh it's been a year and a half already, get the [tornado fang] over it.

Its the same.

I doubt even half the people who liked the 100,000 strong for Legends 3 thing even followed the devroom or even cared about it.

Not all Mega Man fans are as obsessed with Legends 3 as you are and may have even prefered MMU. While Legends 3 did have a lot more behind it is no good reason to laugh at their effort. Thats just sad.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #422 on: February 02, 2013, 07:03:46 AM
A year and a half with no answers or hints as to why it was canned.

Don't get me wrong, my rage has simmered down to a few flickering embers. But telling people who might want to know what the hell Capcom was thinking to "get over it"...urgh.

And didn't Hypershell just say that he wasn't trying to mock the people who wanted MMU?

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: February 02, 2013, 07:10:12 AM
--withdrawn--
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:26:11 AM by Reaperoid »

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #424 on: February 02, 2013, 09:31:34 AM
Oh it's been a year and a half already, get the [tornado fang] over it.

Its the same.

I doubt even half the people who liked the 100,000 strong for Legends 3 thing even followed the devroom or even cared about it.

Not all Mega Man fans are as obsessed with Legends 3 as you are and may have even prefered MMU. While Legends 3 did have a lot more behind it is no good reason to laugh at their effort. Thats just sad.

Well it doesn`t matter now. We ain`t getting any Mega Man games for a LONG while.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."