The First Boss

Soultrigger · 12046

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
on: July 20, 2013, 08:59:09 AM
One of the core elements of Mega Man is its nonlinearity through the famous stage select, whether it's through the classic 8 boss portraits or a mission selection. Of course, as any experienced Mega Man veteran knows, there is typically an "easiest" or "optimal" order to play the stages, typically assigning a "first boss" that, for one reason or another (one being forced linearity), is the best to choose...well, first. The most obvious example is Chill Penguin: the Dash is considered a fundamental tool to the X series, so it makes the most sense to acquire it as fast as possible if you're seeking to reduce the difficulty.

So it got me thinking: while many games assign an extremely obvious, at first glance or retrospectively, intentional first boss, other games are somewhat ambiguous on who should be tackled first (if such a boss even exists).

The list below I think is somewhat indisputable (though you're free to dispute it):
[spoiler]Mega Man: Cut Man
Mega Man 2: Metal Man
Mega Man 4: Toad Man
Mega Man & Bass: Cold Man

Mega Man Dr. Wily's Revenge: Cut Man
Mega Man IV: Toad Man
Mega Man Powered Up [New Style]: Cut Man

Mega Man X: Chill Penguin
Mega Man X3: Blizzard Buffalo
Mega Man X4 [X]: Web Spider
Mega Man X4 [Zero]: Magma Dragoon
Mega Man X5: Crescent Grizzly
Mega Man X6: Commander Yammark
Mega Man X7: Soldier Stonekong

Mega Man Xtreme: Chill Penguin

Mega Man Zero: Aztec Falcon
Mega Man Zero 2: Hyleg Ourobockle
Mega Man Zero 3: Blazin' Flizard

Mega Man ZX: Hivolt the Raptoroid
Mega Man ZX Advent: Buckfire the Gaxelleroid[/spoiler]

Of the titles I didn't list, which boss do you feel (if any at all) is the designated "first boss"?
For a quick copypasta, here are the unlisted titles:
[spoiler]
Mega Man 3:
Mega Man 5:
Mega Man 6:
Mega Man 7:
Mega Man 8:
Mega Man 9:
Mega Man 10:

Mega Man II:
Mega Man III:
Mega Man V:
Mega Man The Wily Wars [Wily Tower]:

Mega Man X2:
Mega Man X8:

Mega Man Xtreme 2:
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X [X]:
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X [Vile]:

Mega Man Zero 4:
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:54:43 AM by Soultrigger »

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:03:23 PM
Most of the time, who you fight first is whoever's in the top left.

Having said that I've got quite a few disputes with your indisputables. Right off the bat, doing Cut Man first is such a bad idea to me because that makes you have to do Elec Man twice. In MM2, Metal Blades are a noob crutch; Items 1 and 2 are far more valuable in the early game. Of the first 4 available in MM8, Clown Man is the only one I wouldn't do first. In X4 Dragoon has always been the first to fight for me because the stage gives you a Ride Armor to fight him with. And I'm pretty sure you're required to fight Aztec Falcon and Buckfire first.

As for the rest. Mega Man 3 I'd usually go with Magnet Man. 5 is either Stone or Star. 6 is Wind or Flame. 7 would be Burst. Splash Woman is almost as obvious as Chill Penguin. 10 is Pump and absolutely NOT Sheep. If anyone says Sheep in this thread I'm banning them. X8 is definitely Sunflower. MHX is definitely Mammoth. As for Zero 4, I'd say either Mandrago or Genblem cause they give you some of the best EX skills.

Oh and just to have some fun with this. In Rosenkreuzstilette Liebea is the obvious first choice. As for Freudenstachel, none of them are particularly easy without weaknesses. I found Schwer to be the easiest, but ideally you'd probably want to kill Luste first so you have Frugel.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 05:07:29 PM
MM1 - Bomb
MM2 - Air
MM3 - Magnet
MM4 - Toad
MM5 - Gravity
MM6 - Flame
MM7 - Freeze
MM8 - Frost
MM9 - Tornado or Splash
MM10 - Strike

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:18:23 PM
I always [tornado fang] up Top Man first in MM3.
Guess why.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:44:43 AM
Mm gutsman
Mm2 flashman
Mm3 magenetman
Mm4 diveman
Mm5 stoneman
Mm6 flameman
Mm7 freezeman
Mm8 tenguman
Mm9 galaxyman
Mm10 chillman

X chill penguin
X2 crystal snail
X3 blizzard buffalo
X4x web spider
X4zero split mushroom
X5 duff mcwhalen
X6 infinity mijinion
X7 splash warfly
X8 gigavolt man o war (just to get that awful level done with)

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 02:46:55 AM
Right off the bat, doing Cut Man first is such a bad idea to me because that makes you have to do Elec Man twice.
"Easiest" order does not necessarily mean the "optimal" order. Cut Man pretty much has all the qualities of a first boss: top left, first robot number, relatively easy stage/boss fight, and most prominence in official material (artwork, cameos, etc.). I should've left out the mentioning of "optimal" order in my opening post because I mistakenly referred to them as synonymous.

In MM2, Metal Blades are a noob crutch; Items 1 and 2 are far more valuable in the early game.
By giving the noob crutch that is Metal Blades, wouldn't Metal Man be the obvious choice? Item 1 and 2 are useful in several spots of the game, but Metal Blades is universally good.

Of the first 4 available in MM8, Clown Man is the only one I wouldn't do first.
Actually, looking back, I don't really see why Clown Man would be the first. I feel like it should be Tengu Man (top left, first DWN), but his stage and boss fight don't stand out to me as noob friendly (not to mention it also has a gimmicky Rush Jet segment).

In X4 Dragoon has always been the first to fight for me because the stage gives you a Ride Armor to fight him with.
For the X series, a rule of thumb I use is "who has the [first] Leg Armor upgrade?" since they are typically readily accessible while also providing the most useful upgrade, with X2 being an obvious exception. I left out X8 and Xtreme 2 out from my list because Bamboo Pandemonium and Volt Catfish don't stand out to me as having qualities of a first boss.

Rising Fire/Ryuenjin being needed for the Web Spider/Frost Walrus Heart Tank makes Magma Dragoon a popular first for me when I want to cut down on the stage revisits.

And I'm pretty sure you're required to fight Aztec Falcon and Buckfire first.
Yep, hence "forced linearity". I left them in there for a complete list. I guess you can technically debate the "first selectable boss". Advent would obviously be Chronoforce, Zero I'm thinking Pantheon Core despite not gaining a new Element Chip just because of the mission ordering and his weakness.

7 would be Burst.
MM7 - Freeze
Mm7 freezeman
I would've marked 7 with Freeze because of the "R", but Burst Man's unique double weakness that ties the 2 boss weakness cycles (along with Slash Man) kinda leaves this one ambiguous.

Going by stage select, "R", and DWN, I feel Freeze makes more sense to have the title, even though Freeze -> Slash.

Splash Woman is almost as obvious as Chill Penguin.
MM9 - Tornado or Splash
Mm9 galaxyman

I was split between these Splash and Galaxy since they're both extremely easy. Laser Trident seems more appropriate as the first weapon to me, on top of Galaxy Man being the last DWN.

As for the rest. Mega Man 3 I'd usually go with Magnet Man.
MM3 - Magnet
Mm3 magenetman
So Magnet Man is the popular choice, huh?
It's interesting to note that Mega Man 3 has two boss cycles like 7 and 8 (although in a 5:3 rather than 4:4). Of the Needle-Gemini-Snake trio, who is the popular first?

I always [tornado fang] up Top Man first in MM3.
Guess why.
I think Capcom needs a good ol' Hard Knuckle to get their [parasitic bomb] straight right about now...

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 03:40:02 AM
Well with Magnetman his stage is easy, its an easy boss and having the magnet missles early helps. In the second loop my choice is Snakeman. Easy stage with an easy boss.

I would like to point out that from 4-6 the first boss for me if im in a lazy mood is the one that gives me rush jet.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 06:05:36 AM
10 is Pump and absolutely NOT Sheep. If anyone says Sheep in this thread I'm banning them.

Even if it ain't Sheep Man, it definitely ain't Pump Man. That dude is such a complete pain on hard mode...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 07:14:07 AM
MM1: Cutman. He's just that easy.

2: Metal Man... For obvious reasons...

3-5: eeeh don't remember. haven't played em in ages. (obviously Toadman for 4)

6: Tomahawk Man usually.

7: Cloud Man

For MM8 I always go Grenade Man first. Easy stage, Boss is alright.

For second boss loop, I go Aqua Man first.

X1: Do I even need to say Chill Penguin.

X2: Wire Sponge

X3: Billzard Buffalo

X4: Web Spider. GOTTA GET DEM LEGS

X5: Doesn't [tornado fang]ing matter since the game forces you to do one side first but, Grizzly Slash

X6: Blaze Heatnix.

Nah im kidding. Plz don't shoot. Yammark. Sure Sheldon has the shortest stage. But Yammark is the easier boss.

X7: Stonekong

X8: Trilobite or Pandemonium.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 05:27:36 PM
X5: Doesn't [tornado fang]ing matter since the game forces you to do one side first but, Grizzly Slash

This is simply not true. They want you to start with one side but there's nothing stopping you from doing Dark Necrobat first.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 05:51:33 PM
True, you can, but if your directions at the title screen were too subtle, you have to listen to Alia bitching at you when you start a "wrong" level.

God, I hate that aspect of X5...

MM1: I can't argue with the "intent" of CutMan given that he flinches to the Mega Buster, but Guts Man is the far wiser choice.  Every attack can be seen a mile away and his ability is needed to nab the Magnet Beam.
MM2: Air Man.  Slow attacks and double damage from the Mega Buster lets you trade hits with him very easily, and he gives you Item 2.
MM3: Top Man is obviously intended (double damage from Mega Buster and ludicrously simple attack pattern), but I prefer to start with Needle Man.  His stage has an easy E-Tank to fall back on if needed, and Rush Jet is too awesome to start anywhere else.
MM8: Grenade Man.  Rush Bike is a small but useful crutch.
MM9: Splash Woman.  She's marginally easier than the others, and has a nice straightforward weapon.
MM10: Um...totally not Sheep Man? '>.>

X1: Yeah, can't argue with Chill Penguin.  Might be worth mentioning though that the entire rest of the armor comes at the end of the game if you follow the weakness order from there, so immediately after Chill I break and go to Sting Chameleon.  Body capsule is plenty to see me past him.
X2: Tough choice, but I'd say Wheel Gator.  His attacks are slow and his weapon is necessary to reach a number of secrets.
X3: Yeah yeah, Blizzard Buffalo, leg capsule...
X4 (X): Web Spider, ditto.
X4 (Zero): Magma Dragoon.  Besides the whole Ride Armor thing, Ryuenjin is a crazy powerful and useful weapon, necessary for a few Heart Tanks as well.
X5: As far as the "intended" order goes: You know its Grizzly, I know it's Grizzly, the Bat Bones crapping on Capcom's roof know it's Grizzly.
X6: I know the popular vote is Commander Yammark, but I MOST DEFINITELY must stand against it and say Blizzard Wolfang.  Easy boss whose weapon is invaluable when navigating the game's many tricky hazards, and is also key if you place higher priority on Shadow Armor than on Blade (and since we all know that Blade is crap anyway...).  He also has probably the least annoying Nightmare Effect.
X7: Despite the extra health of his Ride Armor, I'd say Vanishing Gungaroo.  His attacks are easy to evade and his weapon gives Axl some much-needed firepower.
X8: I've been New Game Plus-ing this one so long that I'm not really sure who's the best to tackle with limited health.  I guess one of the vehicle levels?
Xtreme2 (X): Neon Tiger.  As tempting as it is to tackle Catfish for the leg capsule first, he's an extremely annoying boss, and the Ray Claw will bring him to his knees (plus it's useful against Launch Octopus as well).
Xtreme2 (Zero): Objectively speaking, I'd say Tunnel Rhino.  Simple boss, crazy powerful weapon with unlimited use, and necessary to get the body upgrade.  But, I tend to go Blast Hornet just 'cuz I'm an Earth G. addict.  Truth be told, starting with anyone other than Wire Sponge really should be a safe bet.

Zero1: Maha Ganeshariff.  Weak to thunder, and you need to beat him before you get your extra weapons.
Zero2: ...I guess Hyleg for the loose Sub Tank.
Zero3: Childre Inarabitta.  Throw Blade is just too awesome not to.
Zero4: I don't think there's a clear winner in this one.  Maybe Pegasolta Eclair, since Ice Z-Knuckle weapons are easy to come by IIRC.  But I'd just as easily start with Heat Genblem or Noble Mandragoro.

ZX: Hivolt for Model H, obviously.
Advent: Not much of a choice, but I'd say Chronoforce, since his charge attack is so insanely broken...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 10:20:14 PM

X2: Tough choice, but I'd say Wheel Gator.  His attacks are slow and his weapon is necessary to reach a number of secrets.

Wire Sponge stands out more to me as the first boss since his stage and boss fight are relatively easy, which puts Wheel Gator directly after. Strike Chain also makes the Buster upgrade available without resorting to pixel perfect walljumping (even though going from one side to the other is not nearly as hard as pixel perfect walljumping along the same wall, which is seen in copious amounts in X3). The odd thing with either of these as the first boss is that Overdrive Ostrich is on the end of the boss order, which puts the Leg upgrade one of the last things you're able to pick up.

That said, I usually start with Wheel Gator first because Moving-I-mean-Spin Wheel becomes necessitated by the Leg and Body upgrade, whereas everything else is either readily accessible or can be retrieved in roundabout ways without the actual surface requirements (i.e. Charged Speed Burner, Charged Bubble Spray, even Crystal Hunter), leading to some very flexible boss ordering. Off-topic, but even Shoryuken can be accessed via the bottom route using just Crystal Hunter, which blew my mind when I recently found this out.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 11:46:00 PM
X8: I've been New Game Plus-ing this one so long that I'm not really sure who's the best to tackle with limited health.  I guess one of the vehicle levels?

I've never been able to manage Gigabolt without several upgrades, that one definitely ain't a good option. Avalanche, perhaps.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 01:31:43 AM
I think Wheel Gator is the best choice for X2, cause his weapon is so useful in getting you the armor pieces. I save Wire Sponge for last because he NEEDS to be Sonic Slicer'd

Offline spd12

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 03:13:41 AM
Odd as it may sound, I often feel like a boss that has a pleasant/easygoing stage theme is subtly being called toward as being a first pick by developers (Magnet Man, Stone Man, Cold Man, and Splash Woman are prime examples). It's more of a feeling to me than anything I could really put a science towards. Basically if I close my eyes and can envision the song being something you'd hear as a "Stage 1" theme, it usually feels like to me that this boss is actually meant to be an early knockout.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 03:30:00 AM
Off-topic, but even Shoryuken can be accessed via the bottom route using just Crystal Hunter, which blew my mind when I recently found this out.

There is a better way to do that. Look up either Neon Jump or Liberty Jump.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:40 AM
There is a better way to do that. Look up either Neon Jump or Liberty Jump.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 02:03:53 AM
You know, given further thought I'd probably change MM9 to Tornado Man (been too long since I played it; 10 is so much better).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 02:52:12 AM
I would just like to point out that diveman is the first boss I ever reached in any Mega Man game or any video game my life.

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:48 PM
Back when I use to have Megaman 4, we always started with Pharoah Man. That time we never new his weakness, but had a lot of fun starting off with him.

Fear me.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 06:46:05 AM
I go with Top man first in 3.  Just overall the easiest guy to beat.  But I used to go With Magnet because I was intensely brainwashed by Nintendo Power.

With 5 it was Gravity.  Again, Nintendo Power's to blame.  I dunno if he's the best one to start with.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 01:17:07 AM
Hm okay so I never made a list here.

1: Bombman, unless I'm just playing a level or two then I start with Cutman.
2: Airman
3: at first Magnetman, then Topman, now its usually Needleman
4: always Toadman
5: Chargeman
6: FlameMan or WindMan
7: FreezeMan, or Burstman if I'm lazy.
8: Tenguman, though I've started with Grenademan before to decent results as well.
9: SplashWoman, no contest.
10: Pumpman

X1: Chill Penguin if playing normally, if doing a challenge run (As far as I can go without armor parts) then usually Armored Armadillo.
X3: Neon Tiger since Blizzard Buffalo's too hard for me to do buster only. Tunnel Rhino is a decent choice for me as well since it eliminates that asshat Bit from popping in when I don't need him to be there.
X4: Magma Dragoon or Web Spider.
X5: Grizzly if I want to appease the game by doing him first. Izzy Glow for when I just want to start with somebody else for a change, either way it appeases the [tornado fang]ing game.
X6: Shield Sheldon, Commander Yammark, either works.
X7: the Kangaroo who's name escapes me.
X8: Optic Sunflower, but its been ages since I've played X8 so I can't remember if he was a good choice or not.

Z1: Uhh... I honestly forgot the bosses here, Pass.
Z2: The Snake guy in the Jungle.
Z3: The Bat guy in the weapons factory.
Z4: Mandragora on a first run, Heat Genblem or whatever on a second run.

ZX: the guy who gives you Model F.
ZXA: the Vine thing.

Okay, done.

Offline DiveMissle

• Net Navi
  • I am doing a nuzlocke!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 06:33:23 AM
1:Guts Man
2:Air Man
3:Hard Man
4:Always changing
5:Also changing,too
6:Flame Man
7:Cloud Man
8:Clown Man

I lost to Guts Man and only cried for 5 hours.

I guess you could call me MANLY!!!