Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 344530

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1000 on: March 30, 2011, 01:54:04 PM
The play on the distrust of the races and an all-out war with the Gorons, Zoras and Hylians as armies was actually what I thought was gonna happen in Twilight Princess from the first trailer.

Zelda needs to be more epic.

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #1001 on: March 30, 2011, 10:44:42 PM
MAKE ME PROUD NINTENDO

MAKE ME NOT WANT TO CARVE MY TATTOOS FROM MY SKIN IN SHAME

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
  • 'Ya better pray to Martel one last time...
    • View Profile
    • My Chatango Chatpod From When I Was Still A Nooblet
Reply #1002 on: March 30, 2011, 10:48:20 PM
MAKE ME PROUD NINTENDO

MAKE ME NOT WANT TO CARVE MY TATTOOS FROM MY SKIN IN SHAME

This is basically all that must be sai d.

Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality.

I learned that all things explode in slowmotion if you punch them hard enough.

You may have to be on fire for that to happen, though.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1003 on: March 30, 2011, 10:55:29 PM
I still believe a steampunk Zelda would work.

Or a Zelda in a separate place with anachronisms, ala Link's Awakening.

We've seen too much of Hyrule. I miss the Zeldas when Link would go to another completely different place.

Offline Kit

• Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #1004 on: March 30, 2011, 11:01:46 PM
I still believe a steampunk Zelda would work.

Or a Zelda in a separate place with anachronisms, ala Link's Awakening.

We've seen too much of Hyrule. I miss the Zeldas when Link would go to another completely different place.

Needs moar Termina...or Kohonolit even if it was just a dream.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1005 on: March 30, 2011, 11:03:56 PM
Needs more surrealism. (trade chain involving a bag of poo?!?!)
Skyward Sword could still do that though...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1006 on: March 30, 2011, 11:08:28 PM
Needs moar Termina...or Kohonolit even if it was just a dream.
...needs less fans saying it needs to bring back [parasitic bomb] from the past instead of creating new stuff.

Offline Kit

• Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #1007 on: March 30, 2011, 11:48:59 PM
...needs less fans saying it needs to bring back [parasitic bomb] from the past instead of creating new stuff.

Hey you know what? It'd be really [tornado fang]ing nice to revisit these places in a really nice lush setting.
[tornado fang] you for shitting all over me wanting to enjoy myself.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1008 on: March 30, 2011, 11:54:26 PM
Hey you know what? It'd be really [tornado fang]ing nice to revisit these places in a really nice lush setting.
[tornado fang] you for shitting all over me wanting to enjoy myself.

That's all people do. All they request. They want the exact same thing they played, over and over. [tornado fang] nostalgia, I'm tired of people saying everything should be more of the same.

Even all of the direct sequel Zeldas never featured the same world twice. Zelda is about a brave new world, not about everything all over again. We already have most Nintendo franchises doing that, do we seriously need ONE MORE?

Offline Kit

• Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #1009 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:37 PM
That's all people do. All they request. They want the exact same thing they played, over and over. [tornado fang] nostalgia, I'm tired of people saying everything should be more of the same.

Even all of the direct sequel Zeldas never featured the same world twice. Zelda is about a brave new world, not about everything all over again. We already have most Nintendo franchises doing that, do we seriously need ONE MORE?

Well Christ, its just something I'd wish would happen, but its not. Anyways, I'm not terribly clear when the Skyward Sword will be out now? It keeps fluctuating. 

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1010 on: March 31, 2011, 12:12:14 AM

Not exactly directed towards you but still pretty relevant:

[tornado fang] people who can't understand that instances of someone wanting to revisit something older does not have to be influenced by nostalgia. The nostalgia argument (actually it's more of a write-off the way I see it used) just undermines the viability a lot of things have for re-exploration or reinterpretation when people instantly assume that "you only want it because it's your fondest 12 year old gaming memory". And that is absolute crap.

And [parasitic bomb], in the end, different things entertain different people. Why step on another's hypothetical revisits to push your own hypothetical "fresh & new"? In the end it's all up to the devs, so it's not like a few minutes thinking about possibilities is going to hurt anything set in motion. :P

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1011 on: March 31, 2011, 12:32:18 AM
Not exactly directed towards you but still pretty relevant:

[tornado fang] people who can't understand that instances of someone wanting to revisit something older does not have to be influenced by nostalgia. The nostalgia argument (actually it's more of a write-off the way I see it used) just undermines the viability a lot of things have for re-exploration or reinterpretation when people instantly assume that "you only want it because it's your fondest 12 year old gaming memory". And that is absolute crap.

And [parasitic bomb], in the end, different things entertain different people. Why step on another's hypothetical revisits to push your own hypothetical "fresh & new"? In the end it's all up to the devs, so it's not like a few minutes thinking about possibilities is going to hurt anything set in motion. :P
Make it directed towards me, I live for this [parasitic bomb] and this forum's boring as hell lately. =P

Of course revisiting something older doesn't have to be influenced by nostalgia. I, myself, love games that have a bit of a wayback machine moment, like MGS4 with the Shadow Moses mission, or Mario Galaxy with Whomp's Fortress. There are even tons of games which can have the same location to visit in every single one of its sequels, but expand upon it so well, that it never feels old, like the Yakuza series.

No, my problem isn't with that. My problem is the constant begging fans do for more of the same endless repetitive [parasitic bomb], for countless remakes of their favorite games, for MORE of this, MORE sequels of that one fantastic game which ended just where it should have, more [parasitic bomb] which will ruin things eventually.

Nintendo are a company that produces software FRANCHISES. First-party wise, they haven't launched a true new game or franchise in years and years. Thankfully, some of their games try to be original in their approach to a "sequel", and although they all end up having the same damn structure, characters, gameplay and plot overall, they manage to be original in their approach.

But fans seem to just want more and more and more of the same, making alot of sequels just updated versions of the originals for new systems, and making the whole approach unbearable. Never, not even ONCE have I seen anyone in this forum go "Hey, this developer should just think more freely and make a whole new cool game!". No. It's always "I WANT MORE OF THIS, I WANT MORE OF THAT". And then people complain about the game industry being oversaturated with sequels, prequels, remakes and spinoffs. Because publishers do what the fans want. You could ask yourselves how many new games you bought these past few years as opposed to how many big franchise sequels. Look at your shelves and you'll be surprised.

Now, wanting MORE of two locations which had the perfect design for the adventures they were about? Which wouldn't being anything more to the story than needless fan-wanking? Both Termina and Koholint were cool because of the circumstances you visited them in. They were created for those circumstances, nothing more. Visiting them again would not only serve no purpose whatsoever, it would [parasitic bomb] all over the reputation the old games had, by tarnishing their stories. Then we'd end up with sequels like Crackdown 2, or Okamiden, which are basically the same games all over again.

It's the reason why I created that one topic about opening gamers' minds. Because people nowadays just [speed burner] the same old totem they've been for years instead of trying to check out new experiences.

It's the reason why every single new Zelda is so hated by many when it's announced and about to come out. Because it's "NOT ENOUGH LIKE THE OLD GAMES". Although I abhore the overuse of the Hyrule location and plot, I do love the fact that Zelda tries to make a brand new story each time, and fans don't have to play all of the other games to enjoy it to its maximum potencial. It's gaming for everyone, not just for fans.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1012 on: March 31, 2011, 12:42:22 AM
Says the one that complained that Hard Corps Uprising wasn't close enough to Contra Hard corps. The hypocrisy is delicious. Don't act like you're any different from any other member on the board when you're subject to doing exactly the same thing you [sonic slicer] about.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing new areas rather than retread old ground. Something in the same vein as Termina or Koholint, but not necessarily those exact areas. Something where perhaps Ganon isn't the main focus (a la Majora's Mask, for example). Thankfully we've had such games before, so it isn't outside the realm of possibility. It would be nice if they weren't on handhelds for a change though, where most of these "sidestory games" (as I've heard them be called) seem to be situated.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1013 on: March 31, 2011, 12:53:01 AM
Says the one that complained that Hard Corps Uprising wasn't close enough to Contra Hard corps. The hypocrisy is delicious. Don't act like you're any different from any other member on the board when you're subject to doing exactly the same thing you [sonic slicer] about.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing new areas rather than retread old ground. Something in the same vein as Termina or Koholint, but not necessarily those exact areas. Something where perhaps Ganon isn't the main focus (a la Majora's Mask, for example). Thankfully we've had such games before, so it isn't outside the realm of possibility. It would be nice if they weren't on handhelds for a change though, where most of these "sidestory games" (as I've heard them be called) seem to be situated.
I replied to that same argument when someone confronted me in the topic. I wasn't against change in the game, I was against the complete animuzation and slowdown of a game which was originally Escape from New York with a John Cameron budget. There's good changes and bad changes. Anyone with an IQ of a 4-year old can figure that one out.

And YES, I agree with us needing new areas for new stories. The great thing about Zelda games that aren't set in Hyrule, is that you've got free reign in terms of places, races, story, characters, the whole thing. So it's much easier to create a fantastic story in a completely new environment, giving the artists free reign to do whatever they want.

Link likes to travel, right? Then make him travel into unknown locations, into a fascinating new world.

Offline Kit

• Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #1014 on: March 31, 2011, 12:54:26 AM

I would like to see what Kohonolit would look like in 3D because its an island with HUGE possibilities, as well as Termina. I don't want the games remade, they're fine as they stand, but I'd like to revisit them because there are so many more opportunities to use the technology now to show how much more immersible they could make those places! Maybe take the templates for those places and create something new!

I'm gonna go play some Animal Crossing.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1015 on: March 31, 2011, 01:08:00 AM
I would like to see what Kohonolit would look like in 3D because its an island with HUGE possibilities, as well as Termina. I don't want the games remade, they're fine as they stand, but I'd like to revisit them because there are so many more opportunities to use the technology now to show how much more immersible they could make those places! Maybe take the templates for those places and create something new!

I'm gonna go play some Animal Crossing.
Both locations served for their main plot. Bringing them back would be an immense asspull, not to mention a slap on the face for any kind of good storytelling. It would ruin the effect the original games had on people.

Do you know where else there are HUGE possibilities? ORIGINAL MATERIAL. There's no need for templates or anything, why should there be templates? They just have to give wings to their imagination and make something absolutely amazing.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1016 on: March 31, 2011, 01:13:59 AM
Sorta hard to say if it would be an 'asspull'.  Revamping something that's only been in one game is not entirely bad at all.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1017 on: March 31, 2011, 01:22:44 AM
Sorta hard to say if it would be an 'asspull'.  Revamping something that's only been in one game is not entirely bad at all.
You don't get it. Both Koholint and Termina were locations that were absolutely amazing in their own stories. Sequeling them would be awful.

Specially considering that Koholint is a dream woken up from, and that Termina would be [parasitic bomb] without the moon/time mechanics. Both games were made specially for that purpose. The locations were used to their extent. Each one of the games forms a single beautiful story, that requires no sequels, prequels or any kind of [parasitic bomb].

Why ruin what's good, just for the sake of "more of it"? Why make a sequel out of a single beautiful story with a perfect ending, that requires no expansion whatsoever?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1018 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18:51 AM
He wants changes, except the ones he doesn't like. Good and bad is subjective, Flashy boy. Best learn that properly.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1019 on: March 31, 2011, 11:09:52 PM
I agree with not reusing Koholint/Termina/etc though, a sequel in the same location could at best keep the spirit and at worst completely ruin it.

Offline Kit

• Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #1020 on: April 01, 2011, 04:52:57 AM
I agree with not reusing Koholint/Termina/etc though, a sequel in the same location could at best keep the spirit and at worst completely ruin it.

Well I would like to see just like...a remodel or something. With this day and age's technology I think Kohonolit could be gorgeous. I dunno maybe its the artist in me?

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1021 on: April 01, 2011, 04:19:42 PM
Well I would like to see just like...a remodel or something. With this day and age's technology I think Kohonolit could be gorgeous. I dunno maybe its the artist in me?

Majora's Mask 3D?

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #1022 on: April 01, 2011, 09:03:05 PM
Majora's Mask 3D?

I'd buy a 3DS for that. No joke.

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1023 on: April 01, 2011, 10:13:28 PM
I'd buy a 3DS for that. No joke.

I think anyone in their right mind would. Including me.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1024 on: April 01, 2011, 11:02:05 PM
Moreso than OoT for me, at any rate. With any luck it'll happen, but I somehow doubt it.