Things you want/don't want to see in Mega Man 11

MacDaddyMike · 10490

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:59 PM
You're implying it wasn't "made for kids"...
Not implying that at all.  But I am saying that it crossed a bit of a threshold where it became LOCKED for a kid's market - as in "this is a kid's game, not a teen's game".  Started with 7 and became very pronounced with 8.  And I don't really think it helped the series overall.  

Just my opinion of course.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 11:34:34 PM
What I really want: a reinvention à la Metroid Prime (or that Maverick Hunter FPS prototype). Not necessarily in first person, but still 3D. Same classic concept, same characters, same charm, fresh gameplay. They could take their sweet time making this because I don't want another X7. Dream developer for this: Platinum Games (Kamiya as director)

What I'm cool with: something like MM9 and 10. I don't mean 8-bit, just that level of care and creativity. 12-16 stages with interesting platforming, a solid arsenal and maybe a new power-up or two. I don't need a Mega Man Metroidvania, a sandbox or anything too complex.

What I would desperately accept right now: something like MMX6. A mess of a game that somehow works. Weird, challenging and open, using an engine that I'm familiar with. The only reason I even bring this up is because we all know Capcom.

What I do NOT want: MM6 slide physics, MM7 huge sprites, MM8 slow pacing, X5 text skipping.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 02:29:50 AM
What I would desperately accept right now: something like MMX6.
If this happened. it would be enough to make me give up on the series forever.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 04:10:09 AM
That's a sad reason for leaving the series...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 06:44:15 AM
Things I'd like: an alternate comparison between robots and Reploids. Drop the "robots are only dubiously-sentient even though for the most part it only comes up when it's convenient to the plot and we gave Megaman and Roll a horrible OOC moment in 9 in a failed attempt to drive that home" and find a reason that doesn't bring your writing skills into question.

Like maybe Reploids have more advanced architecture, and all the Maverick/sentience/whatever stuff is more prominent in the X series because of a cultural shift that took place in the interim and wait we were only talking about MM11 weren't we

(But seriously, it'd be nice if MM11 did away with one of my bigger story-related pet peeves.)

Gameplay-wise, bring back the slide and charge shot. Find a way to mix up the "eight bosses" formula that isn't cumbersome and tedious.

Things I don't want to see: more 8-bit, at least not at this time. If you must emulate the look of an older system, try something like the Amiga; there were no official MM games for that, and in the right hands it could stand out. Otherwise I'd recommend the PS1; either way, you could potentially take advantage of your older-gen graphics by using the space left over from NOT coating everything in golden polygons and pack in a metric ton of content.

(please forgive me if it turns out using old-gen graphics on a current-gen system won't actually free up that much space)

I also don't want to see a complete lack of advertising. We shouldn't have to rely on word-of-mouth to keep your games from tanking, Capcom.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 06:52:23 AM
I actually don't think they need to get rid of the 8-bit style they have going on.  But I do think they need to push it a bit further.  The initial idea of a slavish NES recreation for 9 was great for nostalgia, but how about pushing what the wii can do while still using 8-bit graphics?  Might be an interesting approach.

The only real reason they need to not make it 8-bit is to show that they're trying to actually make a new game and not another nostalgia bomb. The 8-bit style is fine. Hell, it's my favorite. But there is no reason why MM11 cannot look as good as DuckTales Remastered does.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 06:56:42 AM
Honestly, Wayforward should just make it (even though I wasn't exactly a fan of their new levels in Ducktales Remastered, but that's another story).

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 07:00:41 AM
You know, I wouldn't mind if they did MM11 in MMPU style for all I care.

Not that its a good idea since MMPU bombed, but its not 8-bit and basic enough that it would work, and it'd give the game some personality.

Offline Irregular Ass-R-Us

• Dedicated Pompous Gimpy Douchebag With A Burning Passion! (◥▶◀◤).
  • Robot Master
  • Ultra Super Godly Royal [Top Spin]. (◥▶◀◤)
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 11:55:24 AM
Agreed

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 03:59:01 PM
If we're just talking about art styles at this point, I wouldn't mind it at all if Ariga just took over design on everything related to the game.  He has a great mix of classic charm that still appeals to people older than 10 years old.  

Don't get me wrong.  I don't hate MM8 or PU's art.  But if we're talking about what we'd like to see, well, there you have it.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 05:28:39 PM
They need to make Dan Hibiki the hero of the game. *shot*

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline DiveMissle

• Net Navi
  • I am doing a nuzlocke!
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 05:37:39 AM
What I want: Have the hairstyle booklet be an item found in a stage and bring back doc robots 0v0

What I don't want: Mega Man 2 style gameplay and an incredibly serious story.

I lost to Guts Man and only cried for 5 hours.

I guess you could call me MANLY!!!

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 08:16:20 PM
I forget but in any of the games did the bosses ever change their strategy and attacks at a certain amount of health or did they just do the same thing no matter what?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #38 on: August 31, 2013, 07:38:41 PM
I forget but in any of the games did the bosses ever change their strategy and attacks at a certain amount of health or did they just do the same thing no matter what?

In the Classic series I can't think of any instance offhand that isn't Powered Up.

EDIT: Ah wait MM8 had examples of this too.  Stuff like Search Man's missile storm, Grenade man outright blowing up the floor, and Sword Man's fire column come to mind.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 09:08:49 PM

Gemini Man in MM3.
Bright Man in MM4 only uses his flash stopper at certain levels of health.
Dynamo Man in MM&B charges up when he's low on health.
Mavericks in the X series go into some sort of overdrive mode after losing half their health which usually has a new uber attack and sometimes invincibility for a short duration, specifically in X3, X6, X7 and X8.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  There's also a ton of bosses that change their strategy based on proximity, your jumping/shooting frequency or getting damaged by certain weapons (like in MM7).

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 02:24:53 AM
X2 had that sort of thing too.