What's the best Graphics Tablet to get?

VirusChris · 3640

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
on: April 27, 2013, 01:57:06 AM
I'm looking to invest into buying a Graphics Tablet for my PC so I can do digital artwork and improve my skills to use Tablets to draw on computer, as my scanner doesn't get all of my drawings unless I align it just right, and I plan to do many artwork in the future as becoming a Game Developer is one of the dreams and I like to improve on my art abilities as that's where I like to focus on.

I have an old Bamboo Wacom tablet, though I hate how small it is and I have to look back and forth from the screen and tablet to make sure I do go past the borders on the touch screen of the Tablet.

I've seen the Wacom Cintiq 12wx tablet and it looks about what I need to get the nature flow and feeling of drawing on paper on the computer as I have Photoshop and Paint Tool Sai. Though it's been a few years since it debuted and I was wondering if there's a better version now than the old Wacom Cintiq 12wx tablet.

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sjU-JpSXKw

I noticed that the Tablet is even BIGGER than the Wacom Cintiq 12wx tablet I noticed and was wondering what version this is, how much it cost, and is it worth to get it. I prefer to draw on the tablet like a paper and see what I'm doing instead of looking up to the screen or try to figure out the flow of what I'm drawing while on screen without looking at my tablet which is... a little wonky to work with at times.

What do you guys recommended? I know I have to save up to over $1000 to get one of these tablet but I'm willingly to buy one.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 06:18:28 AM
For the longest time, I was using a small Wacom Graphire 4 that I got off eBay for $60.  A few months ago, because I had the cash to do so, I bought a Wacom Intuos Touch.  I've also used a first-run Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet, small.  All of the tablets I've used had small active areas (4x5 and 5x6 that my Intuos has).  They all felt pretty much the same, too, though I like the surface texture of the Bamboo Fun and the Intuos Touch much more.  It's somewhat rough, like paper.

The only issue I've had with my Intuos Touch is the "touch" part.  When I'm using the pen, I need to disable the touch pad function, so that the cursor isn't fighting between the pen nib and the heel of my hand.  I've also had the driver crash a couple times.

As for using the tablet...  Do you have to look at the mouse when you're using it?  Do you go back and forth between the mouse and the screen while using it?  Using a tablet is the same as using a mouse.  Look at the cursor, not where you're positioned on the tablet itself.  

Keep in mind:  The equipment does not make the artist.  Meaning, just because you use expensive, top-dollar materials, the quality of your work will not suddenly jump to match it.  Instead of worrying about buying this expensive thing or that expensive thing, I think you need to concentrate on learning to use what you already have.  Do you have the tablet drivers installed properly?  If so, then the active area should translate to the monitor resolution.  Meaning, if your pen crosses the border of the tablet's active area, then your cursor will be stuck on the edge of the screen.

I don't know why you have to keep looking at your tablet.  Use it like a mouse.  If you learn to use what you have properly, you wouldn't need to waste money on something else.  Just because it's bigger and more expensive doesn't mean your work will suddenly get better.  Like I've said, I used a Graphire 4 for eight years and the work I produced with that tablet still turned out better than some people do with their Cintiq.

It's not the product, it's the user.

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:36:39 PM
As Quickie said, you're better off be using a cheap tablet and get used to looking at the mouse cursor, or buying a new tablet  at a reasonable price if you feel like it instead of buying that high tech expensive tablet, that one is more inclined for professional artists/designers.

Tablets doesn't really help you much in improving your drawing skills, it only helps you draw on a computer and add features that's usually hard to do it traditionally, such as coloring or erasing. Seriously, you really don't need all the high tech stuff just to improve your drawing skills. I have a tablet and it didn't really much with my drawing skills, accept making it more "colorful",well not really...for now. For the most part, I'd rather improve myself drawing on a paper.

And heck, majority of great digital artist start with cheap tablets, or paper.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:25:28 AM
To add to what Space Rock said, really the only thing I use my tablet for is digital coloring and some inking here and there.  If I have to do detail work or very detailed corrections--redrawing linework obscured by lettering that I had removed from a comic panel--then I use my tablet.  Beyond that, it really doesn't see much use with my regular drawing.

If you want to improve your art skills, you can do that just fine with a pencil and paper.  It's also much more convenient.