SuperDanny 2 - An Epic Classic Series MM Fan Game (Completed!)

Blyka · 18513

Offline Blyka

• Game Developer
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Blyka's Door
SuperDanny 2 is a Classic series Mega Man fan game, heavily taking elements from MM3-6 with some influence from nearly all of the other main Classic series games. The gameplay also borrows a concept from the Battle Network series with the inclusion of Cross Fusion, which allows the player to Cross Fuse with a defeated boss and inherit their appearance and dual weapons, one of which doesn't consume energy. (So, you can essentially play as your favorite weapon for most of the game without worrying about weapon energy.)

Featuring a very unique weapons system, 85 enemies, 30 bosses, entirely 8bit music, customizable gamepad and keyboard controls, and all manner of polish in an engine that attains practically perfect accuracy with official NES Mega Man titles, SuperDanny 2 is a fan game of epic proportions.

More info, screenshots, guides and the download can be found here: Game's Page
Or if you'd like to just download it directly, left-click here: Download Now!
And if you enjoy this game, do check out SuperDanny Powered Up.

After 4 years of work this is undoubtedly my most epic creation, so I hope you download and enjoy!

* For those wondering about the strange title character, SuperDanny is the fictional representation of a Mega Man fanatic in real life (who goes by the name SuperDanny on the web). As a good friend of mine he fits well into this game's oddities in ways that Mega Man wouldn't have, however those who desire a more Classic experience will be pleased to hear that a Mega Man costume is available from the pause menu by default. Proto Man is also an option; see my site's guides for that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:15:45 PM by Blyka »

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
So the weapons are essentially Danny wearing the robot master suit? That's pretty cool. I like that idea. Fits the theme really well.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

MexicanSunflower

I remember this game! It is great!

Offline SonicZH

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
I downloaded i tried , its too hard for me. Any tips? I was also quite shock that they is no let's play superdanny2 on youtube as i wanted some tips....
The physics and all seems ok, I am making a mega man fangame myself. i find the difficulty too high though i play a lot of mega man myself. I tried may be 6 stages, either the stages were too frustrating or the bosses are too hard for me... In short, any real tips/cheats for your game? just wondering.

Also, i downloaded this few months back, untill now there is still no lets play video, in my opinion its hard, but i understand this is a fangame and you will want the game to be ure ideal creation, I am in no way suggesting anything to you, this is just my feedback.

The only set back for me is the difficulty, it stop me to play the game several times even now. Will try it a few weeks later.
Which stage is the easiest to start anyway??

Anyhow, great job on the programming,bosses AI, you included everything crucial in a game, options, config, text screen, save and stuff...
 Look forwards to ure future creations...

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
I just started playing, this is indeed awesome. It's hard, no doubt, and can get annoying at times, but it's worth it. Some parts of each stage are frustrating and seem unfair, but it's doable. I love the fusion part, makes it interesting.

Offline Blyka

• Game Developer
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Blyka's Door
@OBJECTION MAN
Thanks! Yeah, I suppose that's one way to look at it. It's a different twist for being able to play as the Robot Masters without actually playing as the Robot Masters themselves, since that doesn't usually work well in story terms.

@MEX
Thank you!

@Tesserex
Thanks! Glad you're liking the Fusions; I think they're certainly the most fun aspect of the game myself.
Hm, a shame you feel the stages can be unfair and frustrating; from my past game creations being insanely difficult and cheap a lot of the time, I really stressed trying to make these levels similar to what Capcom might do, for the most part anyway. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

@SonicZH
Thanks for the compliments! Sorry to hear you're finding it so difficult... Hard to say which level is easiest; I think they're pretty well balanced myself, each with their more difficult parts. Maybe Flame Man's? He may be the easiest boss of the main eight as well.
As for tips, certain Cross Fusions might make a world of difference if you could nab some. Gyro especially, if you're having too much trouble with platforming segments.

---

As a general difficulty note, my test player also thought it was too hard at first, but after enough practice he decided Normal Mode was too easy for the most part. :p
It may be a bit more challenging in certain parts, but I always felt like it was a learning process, myself. Every new Mega Man game is usually difficult to an extent until you get to know the levels and the boss patterns, and in this game the levels are all new and the bosses all dish out a new attack that you're not expecting, which makes for some more initial challenge. It should be a fairly easy game once you've gotten to know it better, IMHO.
I saved all the twistedly hard stuff for Hard Mode. ;)

Also, you can charge the normal buster after the opening level, in case anyone missed that.

Anyway, thanks much for the feedback so far, everyone! :)

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
The only thing I don't like is that all the stages are modifications.

Everything else is ok, the game can be really difficult due to the ridiculous enemy placement, but is not as good as everyone's favorite X6.

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Yeah most of the frustrations are enemy placement. The difference between something that's just hard and something that seems unfair is whether it feels like you need prior knowledge. So if you fall into a room, and immediately get barraged by bullets and die, it feels unfair. You need to die and come back knowing whats ahead in order to prepare for it. There's not many of those situations but I feel like I need more lives to get through.

I do have gyro which helps, I can't imagine how annoying it would be without it. I first tried Pharaoh - didn't make it. Gyro - beat him. Crystal - Didn't make it. Shadow - made it to him but he destroyed me because he's crazy.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 04:38:05 AM
Ahem. The last post was 6 months ago.

I mean I want to check this out now (missed it the first time) but still. Check the post dates plz.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Blyka

• Game Developer
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Blyka's Door
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 12:22:31 AM
SuperDanny 2 got a version upgrade last month (from V1.1 to V1.2), if anyone's interested. This update includes 11 bug fixes and 8 graphic/audio improvements, as well as very few other tweaks to curb difficulty just slightly.
In particular, I think many will appreciate that Top Man (the game's opening boss) now has his original attack power from Mega Man 3 and his special rebound attack has been made a Hard Mode-only feature. The number of complaints in regards to his difficulty made me realize that, while easy once learned, perhaps his attacks were a bit too elaborate for a simple opening boss.
So, I hope this makes the game more accessible to people.

Also, the game finally has a Promo Trailer on YouTube, if you'd like to see the completed game in action (as opposed to just screenshots and preview videos).

Game update can of course be gotten here: http://blyka.legends-station.com/?page=game_superdanny2
And the video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu2Cg06DeTU

Ahem. The last post was 6 months ago.

Seeing as the game was finished when I posted it here, content updates from me to this thread will be few and far between; so, if anyone has any feedback to give me at a later date, I'd encourage necro-posting if necessary as I always welcome more feedback. If that's okay with the staff, of course.

Anyway, hope you liked the game, Mirby. :)

Offline Blyka

• Game Developer
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Blyka's Door
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 10:17:57 PM
I bring new updates to an old game!

On 2012.12.19, SuperDanny 2 was upgraded to v2.0! This is a major upgrade to all aspects of the game and should be a huge improvement for all, being much more accessible to new players and much more enjoyable for veterans.

If you've tried the game before and found it too difficult, I think you'll find v2 more to your taste. If you're an old pro at the game, I think you'll welcome better level design and enjoy kicking ass as Knight, Skull and Snake Fusion for the first time. And if you've never played it before, there's never been a better time to do so!

Relevant Links:
Game's Page (Download the game & see the full list of v2.0 improvements)
Site Update (for more backstory on this upgrade)

Hope you try out and enjoy the new version!

And shortly before v2 released, I finally got around to uploading a full casual playthrough of v1 that I recorded back in May of 2011, featuring developer's commentary. Though out of date in a lot of ways now, if you'd like to see the full game in action or are interested in developer's commentary this may still be an interesting watch.
Playlist is here.

(Also, my apologies if this breaks the double-posting rule; doing so seemed more practical than merging this news with a substantial post from over a year ago)

Offline Zynk

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 02:48:22 PM
Heys, Blyka!  >0<

I just discovered your game just today! Seeing that this is SD2, I first played SD1. SD1 has its annoying glitches like jumping in between platforms, AND I'm bad at games with a keyboard. I'm glad SD2 has gamepad option, it made playing... less hard.

If you may, I have a couple of Questions for you that need answers:
1) How do I use the DARKCHIP plates? I just finished SD2 in normal mode and I got this message: [spoiler]press Awesome and Pwnd button on center stage select screen[/spoiler], but the game won't exit to title screen or stage select so I hit Esc (I think nothing happens when I did the aforementioned afterwards);

2) Do I have to finish it on hard mode to see the effects of the darkchip? I'm intimidated with the difficulty of normal mode  ;^;

3) This maybe just my personal opinion: I liked how XFusion works here. But ITT ShadowFusion should have made Danny's movements quicker like Quickman in SD1 (though SkullFusion has this quickness, but why not Ninja-ShadowFusion?)

4) Is there sliding in mid-air in SD2? Because I see some areas where this could be possible with items insight.

5) I have a problem with the BGM of SD2 and SDPUp. At first time I played SD2, I had BGM, then I lost it when I reached Wily stage then the whole game lost its BGM. This happened also with SDPUp, no BGM but the game works fine (haven't played SDPUp atm). Do you know how to restore the games music? I tried SD1, it has BGM btw.

That's all from me! I'll just try SDPUp some other day coz I'm pooped from SD2.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 03:51:13 PM
1) How do I use the DARKCHIP plates? I just finished SD2 in normal mode and I got this message: [spoiler]press Awesome and Pwnd button on center stage select screen[/spoiler], but the game won't exit to title screen or stage select so I hit Esc (I think nothing happens when I did the aforementioned afterwards);

2) Do I have to finish it on hard mode to see the effects of the darkchip? I'm intimidated with the difficulty of normal mode  ;^;
To question 2, no.  The DARKCHIP reward is available on both difficulties.  As for question 1?
[spoiler=DARKCHIP Spoilers]Once you've collected the DARKCHIP plates, on the stage selection screen, hold AWESOME and PWNED while selecting the center square (this can be done at any time, as far as I'm aware -- from the initial 8 to Bass' stage) and you will be whisked away to a brand new (and very challenging) stage.  Beat the stage and you get the Dark Fusion, the most powerful fusion in the game.[/spoiler]

Offline Blyka

• Game Developer
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Blyka's Door
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 09:09:21 PM
@Zynk
Eck, sorry to hear you played the first SuperDanny- as mentioned on its game page, Powered Up for the win. The first one is from 2005 (had only been in Game Maker just over a year when it was finished), so not only is the game pretty awful but the engine is trash. ;_;

In regards to your questions, 1 & 2 were answered well by Joseph.

3. Shadow Fusion does slide a bit faster. However, his weapon is already one of the most powerful ones, so I had to keep in mind Fusion balance; if Shadow had Skull's speed he would have been totally broken.
And in terms of technical accuracy, Skull's speed is logical as he is very agile in battle, especially when he charges you. Shadow on the other hand is pretty slow with his horizontal movement (unless he's sliding). XD

4. Nope. Gyro and Pharaoh both provide Fusions that are useful for reaching things, however.

5. Hm, sorry about that. I had to use two different external extensions for NSF and OGG support (one of Game Maker's biggest fails), and while usually reliable either one could crash. This should be fixed when you restart the game (close and reopen the executable), but if they always just refuse to play I really have no idea (unless of course any of the exe's external files have been moved or something). In that event you could try a fresh unzipping of the game (save files and root data files can just be copied from the old one to keep your progress).

Thanks for playing! Hope you enjoy SD Powered Up when you give it a try.

@Joseph
Have you managed to give v2 a spin? Since you seem to be SD2's biggest fan I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the upgrades. :)

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 01:39:28 AM
I really should, shouldn't I?  And maybe make a supplemental review to my first review.  :3  I do kind of wonder how much of v1.2 I remember, though.  I mostly just remember trying to hit the Save State button.  You know.  Because I was totally convinced I was playing an emulated Mega Man ROM hack or something.  8D

Offline Zynk

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 03:47:53 PM
@JC: :cookie: Thanks! That worked! Now for Hard Mode... for later.

@Blyka: For SD2, I just zip/unzip the files then most of the music is retained  :) but some of Wily Castle music is none, i.e. the first fight with Bass and with Wily himself.

As for now, I'm at SDPUp & the zip/unzip/delete/copy-paste-saves worked with retaining BGM in the game!  owob

SDPUp feels much more like Megaman2! Neat! Btw sometimes I get this window with Nosefart, but that's from the un/zip trick & gone (atm).

Offline Blyka

• Game Developer
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Blyka's Door
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 07:46:06 PM
@JC (or... Joseph? What nickname do you prefer, if any?)
As authenticity was one of the most important focuses in SD2, trying to hit the save state button is definitely a complimenting thing to remember. XD Regardless of what all you remember, if you enjoyed it the first time I hope at the very least the game will just feel generally more solid this time around. :)

@Zynk
Glad to hear the unzip worked... sort of? Hm, the fact that you saw a Nosefart window at all makes me think your computer is just handling these in an odd way. That window would be caused by the NSF dll, but even in the earliest stages of developing with it I never actually saw a window- and there certainly shouldn't be one now... @.@;

And yeah, SD2 is based on MM3-6 while SD Powered Up is based on MM1-2 (with some MM3 influence), so I'm glad to hear it feels that way. :)

Offline Zynk

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 04:00:57 PM
Just finished SDPUp!  ~w~  

The game ran smoothly this time; no glitches and the BGM didn't falter! I got a bit frustrated on the Yellow-Devil stage where you need to jump most of the time on time-bombs and trap doors!

I was able to find all the 4 parts plus the EXIT and Megaman & Protoman. I feel like I missed 1 more item, because there is a blank space next to Protoman's icon.
I'm wondering if there's someone else on that spot?

Btw, I noticed CutmanFusion shoots the Rolling Cutters with an Arm Cannon instead of throwing it; that doesn't look right at all IMHO.  >^<  

EDIT: AH! I almost forgot about the Challenges! This could be tough...  O:<

Offline Blyka

• Game Developer
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Blyka's Door
Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 04:11:28 AM
Thanks for the SD Powered Up feedback! But aww, you should have given the old SD Powered Up topic some love.  O^O

Awesome to hear it ran smoothly for you this time. That game always was a lot more solid than SD2 when it came to bugs, for some reason.
That stage can be a bit frustrating. Elec and Quick are for the win if it gives you too much trouble.

And yeah, there are eight items in the game... the other can be a bit tricky to find sometimes.
I suppose Cut Fusion using an arm cannon may seem a bit odd, but I am known for throwing Ruby Spears MM Cartoon references into my games; he uses an arm cannon plenty in that.  >w<

That would be awesome if you took on the challenges. You get some really cool prizes for beating all 18... and there are some tips on Blyka's Door for each one. I wonder if anyone's ever done them all before...? Probably not.  :P

Offline Riffman81

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • MegaHaxx.com
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 08:13:37 AM
Put together a "Games For Windows" Cover for this one as well. Credit goes to Blyka for his original cover art for the game. Also, I must say that I really enjoyed this game alot... perhaps we'll see Super Danny 3?  ;)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Blyka

• Game Developer
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Blyka's Door
Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 01:19:26 AM
Hah, that's pretty neat! A pity the front got stretched as the art was made to mimic the Rockman Famicom packaging instead of the NES, but still. XD
And credit actually goes to fAB for the artwork, for the record.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game! Heh, cool as SuperDanny 3 would be, unfortunately it will never see the light of day for many reasons, most importantly my retirement from Game Maker and move into 3D game development.
Although, SuperDanny 3-D could be even more... no, no. Best not go there, either. XD

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 10:54:56 PM
Although, SuperDanny 3-D could be even more... no, no. Best not go there, either. XD
SuperDanny Universe?  "Your world, Dannified!" (I'd say "SuperDanny Powered Up", but well...  X3)