Super Mario Maker - Dungeons, Traps, and Bowsers~ Oh my!

VirusChris · 10449

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
on: September 12, 2015, 05:46:13 AM
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about Super Mario Maker or possibly one for listing everyone's created stages for it that they've uploaded online for other people to play. You guys don't mind if I start off first, right?

After unlocking all the tool sets for Super Mario Maker I went to design my first Mario stage to upload and I always wanted to do a Yoshi-theme one... which is you have to use Yoshi to clear it, but near the end of the stage I made it so it's possible to clear without Yoshi if you lose him somehow, but you need him in the first part mostly. It's easier with the second part.

I do a lot of trial and errors on it until I got something I liked, though I do wish I could make the stage even longer. I like to hear your guys' opinions, feedback, and criticism on it and see what I could do to improve it.

The stage is kinda hard, but it's doable and fun to try to beat! Let me know!
Though for those who played my stage hasn't beaten it yet... is it really that hard? Only 49 people have played it and only 2 have cleared it so far.

Yoshi's Spike Castle
Course ID:
A47D-0000-0018-E386

I'll see if I can make a video of it, if I can find where I put my Capture Card.

I also like to see what your Mario Stages are so post your Course IDs here and let everyone try it out! Let's a-go everybody!

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 07:04:40 AM
At first my feelings toward the game were like "It's just a level creator. I can skip this." But the more footage I see, the more it's winning me over. There are already a bunch of fun and interesting levels people have made, and the game is still really new. Down the line there could be a plethora of fun levels, where no gameplay session is the same.

I'm not going to get it right now. I have other priorities. But down the line I'll get it.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 07:07:58 AM
The good news is that there seems to be a check to see if the levels are beatable so despite being hair pullingly frustrating no level is unwinnable.  Plus you can skip levels sometimes in certain modes.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 08:33:45 AM
If I remember reading or hearing or watching, unless the creator of the level can beat the level they create, it cannot be uploaded. Which is brilliant.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:44:26 AM
I can vouch for it... you need to beat your own level for it to be uploaded for others to play it. So no level is unwinnable, but doesn't stop creators from making some hair-pulling frustration difficult stages from time to time.

Speaking of which...

Made a new fun and challenging Mario Stage! A Bowser Boss Fight... ok, not really you're just avoiding his attacks as you rush to the finish line really.

Bowser's Design
Course ID:
296B-0000-001D-85BD

This one is pretty tricky, but not too tough. There's some hidden blocks with Mushrooms in them if you can find them and you have to find a secret room or two to make things easier!

Tell me what you think! For those who have SMM and for those who plan to get it, it's quite fun and I like playing other people's levels as well. It's quite fun, but I so disliked that one user's "Nonstop Runner" level... damn I think it was on the level of Kaizo Mario stages.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 10:05:19 PM
This is pretty fun to play around with. Looking forward to unlocking all the SMW stuff to use.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 12:39:09 AM
It's odd to say, but I really really hope there is DLC to this.  I just feel like there's so much more that they could do.  Slopes, checkpoints, Mario Land style, neglected power-ups, and even though it will probably never happen, custom music off the SD Card slot would be a dream.

Also, I need to constantly suppress my urge to kill over the fact that Daisy is not among the Mystery Mushroom transformations. O:<

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:17:23 PM
Well, if ever you want to try out the one level I uploaded with the bare minimum assets available:

A79F-0000-0025-0614

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 06:11:03 PM
Well, if ever you want to try out the one level I uploaded with the bare minimum assets available:

A79F-0000-0025-0614

Finally got around to playing your level, I have no idea why but the second spring kept screwing me over. I know I hit the jump button to do the extra jump thing, but it didn't do it most of the time and I died. Very frustrating controls on it... but for using just the bear minimal tools  from the get-go very good level design. Has a medium difficulty.

Anyway I got to ask... did you somehow hid a "slim" Mushroom by any chance? The one that makes Mario taller with longer legs and makes him have more jump power? During one of my runs I somehow got that Mushroom instead of the normal one and it throw me off as I wasn't expecting and mistimed out of my jumps and died.

It was from the same ? Block... how on earth did you do that to make it randomly give you the slim Mushroom instead of the regular Mushroom?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 09:35:18 PM
The skinny mushroom randomly comes up in place of a regular mushroom. But you can unlock it as a new item by beating the Nintendo World Championship levels. And to get those, just play 10 Mario Challenge a bunch.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 11:58:11 PM
Nah, I didn't do anything for the slim mushroom. I understand you can unlock it to make it permanently spawn, but I don't have that.

As for the springs... that's just the way they are, particularly the SMB ones. I actually don't like them that much, but it was the best way to get the result I wanted so... there you go.

Here's my current lot of levels...

A79F-0000-0025-0614 - Springs and Turtles, Oh my!
15C4-0000-0031-AF59 - Spinies pay a visit
8CC7-0000-003A-51D9 - Caves, Pipes and Walljumperinos
F75E-0000-003A-CCA5 - Spelunking in the Sea
A8E3-0000-003F-CBD9 - Château Fire Hazard
02DB-0000-0044-5BFE - Air Cargo Raid!
BAA7-0000-0048-8291 - House of Hidden Puzzle Blocks

Air Cargo Raid! is probably my favourite of the bunch.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:42:46 AM by Fxeni »

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:46:00 AM
Got two more levels for ya and they're easier than the first two.

Taking it Easy
ID:
7C8A-0000-0045-8E7A

Retro Mad Coin Dash!
ID:
6755-0000-0049-1490

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 08:09:34 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/09/15/super-mario-maker-is-an-engine-for-circulating-horrible-new-mario-levels/

“Super Mario Maker” is a bad comedy. Released in coordination with the 30-year anniversary of “Super Mario Bros.,” it indulges players in the fantasy that they’d be good at making video game levels. This sort of self-deception has become common in the age of digital consumption, and while there’s something utopian in “Super Mario Maker’s” appeals to community participation and sharing, the game quickly collapses into a scratch sheet of horrible ideas and levels you’ll regret having played. It’s a tool for the mass production of cultural refuse, single-use distractions that fail to replicate the spirit of the original.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 08:18:13 AM
How coincidental this came out on the same week Game Theory was talking about how the media is trying to demean Youtube's gaming community for click baiting. There's a reason I don't take the News too seriously anymore, then again I've seen even dumber things on the Washington post.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 11:46:57 AM
Well I mean, it is kinda true that most people have no idea what they're doing. The Expert Course is a perfect example of this.

It's fine though; that's what the skip function is for.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 01:26:41 AM
It's odd to say, but I really really hope there is DLC to this.  I just feel like there's so much more that they could do.  Slopes, checkpoints, Mario Land style, neglected power-ups, and even though it will probably never happen, custom music off the SD Card slot would be a dream.

Also, I need to constantly suppress my urge to kill over the fact that Daisy is not among the Mystery Mushroom transformations. O:<

I imagine we'll get some updates for the Mystery Mushrooms as both Mewtwo and Lucas have costumes yet Roy and Ryu don't.

Wasn't it everybody but Mii Fighters got costumes for amiibos? Even all three Yarn Yoshis have unique ones and Mega Yarn Yoshi is a seperate costume too.

For DLC though I'd love some Mystery Mushroom for at least SMB3 and SMW level types.

The skinny mushroom randomly comes up in place of a regular mushroom. But you can unlock it as a new item by beating the Nintendo World Championship levels. And to get those, just play 10 Mario Challenge a bunch.

I'm gonna say, just finished beating those stages, they get easier as they go along, the SMB one is the hardest one and the SMW one is the best one. I lost multiple lives on both the SMB and SMB3 one but didn't at all in the SMW or NSMBU stages.

They're [tornado fang]ing cool as [parasitic bomb] though.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 03:44:57 AM
AEE4-0000-0053-8892 *deleted*

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 04:16:26 AM
Here's some new ones:

D511-0000-004D-2777 - Hunt for the Bouncy Boot
D8A6-0000-0053-ECF2 - A Dicey Hot Situation

I'm running out of upload space. Makes me sad.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 08:55:30 PM
1B0D-0000-0058-7794

^Reuploaded the previous stage with edits on the more difficult spots. I've got some other stuff planned aswell, but I really need that subworld first.

Going to try Fxeni's stages now.

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 09:30:59 PM
Easy : C9A9-0000-002C-E1C8

A little something form Ross O'Donovan.

Fear me.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 09:40:12 PM
Fxeni I just wanted to let you know that I love the names of your stages even though I can't play them since I don't have a Wii U.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 12:13:26 AM
For DLC though I'd love some Mystery Mushroom for at least SMB3 and SMW level types.
Yeah, there really ISN'T any excuse for not using Mystery Mushrooms in SMB3 since it's really just an alternate NES style.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 12:44:16 AM
Yeah, there really ISN'T any excuse for not using Mystery Mushrooms in SMB3 since it's really just an alternate NES style.

I think the primary reason why SMB3 doesn't have the Mystery Mushroom is because of how they set up the toolset for style replacements. Mystery Mushrooms becomes leaves, become feathers, become propellerhats.

Incidentally, this may be why we've not seen any of the other nonstandard power-ups. What would they become in SMB style?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 02:20:11 AM
I don't actually have the game (yet), but I'd imagine looking at Yoshi Eggs will produce at least one viable answer to that question.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 02:43:51 AM
Thanks for making this tread! Here are my levels:

------------------------------

Air Spinning is the Key to Win!:
046F-0000-0017-9885

The Underground Bridge 2 Victory: