Mutos Reploids and Mythology

Soultrigger · 5615

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
on: September 19, 2013, 04:14:29 PM
Fans of the Zero series should recognize the boss themes being rooted in mythology. Initially, I had thought that, for some of the bosses, Inti made an exception and ran with generic real-world animals ala X series. However, I came across some very obscure references I would have otherwise dismissed as "normal", those being Panter Flauclaws and Volteel Biblio.

I tried constructing a list of all the connections, including some Mechaniloids from Zero 1.

I made my best guess with Poler Kamrous: I didn't see the connection in the name, but I can't think of a mythological polar bear in any other culture besides Inuit. Considering Biblio sounds more like biblioteca rather than tuna-roa, I figured the naming convention was not a set-in-stone rule.

I'm also not sure what Hottide in Hittite Hottide refers to. According to wikipedia, Hittites were known for chariots, which may be the sole basis for the boss.

[spoiler]
Pantheon : Pantheon
Fefnir : Fafnir
Leviathan : Leviathan
Harpuia : harpy
Phantom : phantom

Golem : Golem
Aztec Falcon : Aztec eagle
Maha Ganeshariff : Ganesha
Guard Orotic : Orochi
Anubis Necromancess III : Anubis
Blizzard Staggroff : stag (?)
Hittite Hottide : Hittites (?)
Hanumachine : Hanuman
Asura Basura : Asura
Herculious Anchortus : hercules beetle

Hyleg Ourobockle : Ouroboros
Panter Flauclaws : Duke Flauros
Phoenix Magnion : phoenix
Poler Kamrous : Nanook
Kuwagust Anchus : stag beetle (?)
Burble Hekelot : Heqet

Blazin' Flizard : frill-necked lizard, or frilled dragon
Childre Inarabitta : Hare of Inaba
Hellbat Schilt : Vampire Bat
Deathtanz Mantisk : Grim Reaper
Cubit Foxtar : Kitsune
Glacier le Cactank :  cactus (?)
Volteel Biblio : Tuna-roa
Tretista Kelverian : Cerberus

Heat Genblem : Genbu
Fenri Lunaedge : Fenrir
Pegasolta Eclair : Pegasus
Noble Mandrago : mandrake
Sol Titanion : Titania
Tech Kraken : kraken
Mino Magnus : Minotaur
Popla Cocapetri : cockatrice
[/spoiler]

That being said, would anyone happen to know the rest?

Kuwagust Anchus : Kuwagatas are Japanese Stag Beetles, and apparently are associated with lightning due to their horns appearing like lightning rods. Any Japanese mythology around them, or is it simply the Herculious Anchortus pairing?
Glacier le Cactank :  Zero OCW listed his concept art as "Cactus". Is there some sort of symbolism associated with cacti?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:46:21 PM by Soultrigger »

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:05 AM
You did a good job finding plausible connections to the more obscure ones. I don't have much to offer here, though. I'd say the Vile Numbers should not be considered Mythos Repliroids by definition, but that would be a cop-out. Hmm... Perhaps Kuwagata are considered for their design motif in samurai helmets?

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:16:15 PM
The Anchortus brothers being inspired by Samurai seems like the most plausible thing I can think of (at least visually), though neither of them seemed to be acting upon the ideals of Bushido and the way of the Samurai from what I can remember. Then again, Boomer Kuwanger wasn't going by that either. The lightning angle you mentioned is interesting though.

As for Cactank, the CLOSEST thing I can even think of is the old Tenochtitlan/Aztec myth, in which the god Huitzilopochtli guided the Mexica/Aztec to a place where they witnessed an eagle devouring a snake while sitting on a cactus, which was regarded as a devine sign to build their new city there. From Wikipedia:

The Mexica/Aztec were said to be guided by their god Huitzilopochtli, meaning "Left-handed Hummingbird" or "Hummingbird from the South." When they arrived at an island in the lake, they saw an eagle which was perched on a nopal cactus full of its fruits (nochtli). This vision fulfilled a prophecy telling them that they should found their new home on that spot. The Aztecs built their city of Tenochtitlan on that site, building a great artificial island, which today is in the center of Mexico City. This legendary vision is pictured on the Coat of Arms of Mexico.

How this is supposed to Glacier le Cactank however, I have no idea but I have nothing else I could even think of.