Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 259510

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1500 on: June 12, 2016, 11:13:14 AM
Red Ash, Rockman DASH, same [parasitic bomb] :^)

Yeah, Comcept really screwed the pooch on both campaigns. I honestly prefer new KojiPro keeping things under wraps.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1501 on: June 12, 2016, 03:59:46 PM
Red Ash, Rockman DASH, same [parasitic bomb] :^)
It's not and it's honestly a pet pevee of mine to compare 2 different series to each other.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1502 on: June 12, 2016, 08:43:48 PM
It's not and it's honestly a pet pevee of mine to compare 2 different series to each other.

I'm pretty sure Inafune slyly created the name to appear like "Re DASH". We both know that he's not above making digs at Capcom.

And the character designs do look similar, especially that one dude who looks like a redesigned Teisel.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1503 on: June 12, 2016, 08:46:45 PM

shh bby is ok

I'm pretty sure Inafune slyly created the name to appear like "Re DASH". We both know that he's not above making digs at Capcom.

And the character designs do look similar, especially that one dude who looks like a redesigned Teisel.

I was being sarcastic, but this is what I was getting at, yes.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1504 on: June 12, 2016, 08:49:13 PM

Even so I want to hold a game by it's own merits by not comparing it to something else. 

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1505 on: June 12, 2016, 08:55:01 PM
Even so I want to hold a game by it's own merits by not comparing it to something else.

Fair enough, but you can't blame people for bringing up Legends, when Inafune himself welcomes the comparison.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1506 on: June 12, 2016, 10:37:01 PM
I'm aware, but their attitude is... irrational at times.
That's exactly my problem. I can understand some of the disappointment some people have with Mighty No. 9, but when they take things to far, I'm tempted to tell them to go [tornado fang] themselves, especially the ones that goes around spreading lies about the game.

I know that Inafune has delay the game due to the Engine they first started working on stopped being support and they had to start over again, Deep Silver someone messed up on the first publishing (I need to look into that again to see the exact details), and then Sony and Microsoft's rule about not releasing games without online components in... it's just one string of bad luck with another!
I think the Masterass trailer is just icing on the firestorm for Deep Silver.

Though he did bit off more than he could chew and he should've started with releasing the game first before trying to do a multiple media franchise with it and the timing with Red Ash didn't help at all.

If he planned things better and communicate with his fans he might of defused some of the hate and frustration in the first place, but what's done is done. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and plans better and tries to regain some of the trust in lost in people.
This is one thing that I can actually agree with. Inafune can't get his priorities straight with Mighty No. 9 and especially Red Ash. Comcept should have just focused on working on Mighty No. 9, gauge people's interest (sadly, seeing it now, it went and did a 180° for a lot people), and see what happens from there. But nope, "gotta get an animated series out ASAP for Mighty No. 9, same for our next project even if it kills us!" I hope Inafune is taking the criticism and not just the [parasitic bomb]-talking to heart (unlike some people I know), but as the saying goes: "talk is cheap."

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1507 on: June 15, 2016, 08:28:03 AM
Ultimately Mighty still has to see release and face the test of time before this hack drama is finished, but the fact that they managed run themselves into a brick wall in terms of PR is why a lot of the people who originally wanted to send Capcom a message are facing the regret that they are: This was their big, empowering chance to show the big-wigs how to do it right, but now they're just praying that Capcom ISN'T paying attention, because even if by some miracle Mighty is still successful, the troubled road it took to get there is not going to inspire confidence in games of a similar style.  Mighty is in the position of having to succeed in spite of its core fans rather than because of them, and nobody wants to tell Capcom that they should be doing that.

Red Ash was just a spectacular disconnect between a businessman and his consumers.  People expected Inafune to become an indie developer when he left Capcom, and he just isn't conducting his business that way.  He wants to be bigger than that, he saw crowdfunding as just one more revenue source, and he will not hesitate to close his doors if he thinks that is what will benefit his game development, which is exactly what he did. 

Unfortunately Inafune simply does not present his products that way.  We never did get a name or description for that girl who was introduced to us with a boob-shot to highlight her similarities to Tron, now did we?

It irritates the crap out of me too, because it's what drives the fanbase to call the two interchangeable and belittle those who are not willing to make the blind exodus.

Lol what? Of COURSE it's Capcom's fault. It's all Capcom's fault. That's the point! In one glorious, unmitigated [tornado fang] up, they managed to arson away one of their most loyal fanbases and scatter them to the [tornado fang]ing winds. I mean, do you remember how close the Capcom Unity people were with the MM fanbase before this [parasitic bomb] happened? Before they had to play crowd control with a rightfully hurt & pissed off group of people? Capcom [parasitic bomb] in their fan's faces and have done little to nothing to offer any sort of anything since then except the same "banking on nostalgia" [parasitic bomb]...WHICH THEY WERE ALREADY [tornado fang]ing DOING BEFORE THE LEGENDS 3 DEBACLE!! I mean, that's literally what MM9 & MM10 were. They were new games, but they were still games that relied on people's childhood love of the classic MM series. THEN they announced MML3 at that Comic Con, which again was always not going to be a monetary hit for them because it was a cult favorite even among MM games. THEN they Temple of Doom style ripped their fanbase's hearts out of their [tornado fang]ing chest.

So the fact that you think their recent stint of banking on nostalgia is an "improvement" is downright laughable, because at least before the MML3 [tornado fang] up their nostalgic bank-wank included ACTUAL new games fans could play through instead of games some fans might be playing slightly because Rock, X, Zero, etc. is making a cameo in it. (IE: Smash, Project X Zone). The latter is part of the overall problem of Capcom still, after 5-6 years, offering pretty much zero hope that we're ever going to see another MM game from them again.
Inafune is banking on nostalgia now every bit as much as he was when he was part of Capcom developing MM9/10; he goes to Kickstarter with NOTHING BUT nostalgia and concept art.  The only reason that worked for Mighty and not for Red Ash is because the wounds from Capcom were still fresh, Mighty made loftier promises (releasing on all platforms and not just PC), and Comcept didn't have a previous Kickstarter game still sitting unreleased.  To paraphrase Jim Sterling, Comcept not only banked on nostalgia, they drove the discovery of the fact that nostalgia has a credit limit.

The reason I consider Capcom's current nostalgia-grabs preferable to their previous nostalgia-grabs is because the previous ones were focused almost exclusively on the NES style, to the point of neglecting the rest of the franchise.  Two new NES games, five old NES games, four re-releases of PS1 ports of NES games, and a remake of MM2 with [parasitic bomb] controls.  The fact that X1 and X2 existed on Wii's Virtual Consoles was sadly refreshing back then.  The current batch is, if nothing else, greater in scope; it spans darn near everything outside of ZX and Star Force.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1508 on: June 15, 2016, 10:06:34 AM
Inafune is banking on nostalgia now every bit as much as he was when he was part of Capcom developing MM9/10; he goes to Kickstarter with NOTHING BUT nostalgia and concept art.  The only reason that worked for Mighty and not for Red Ash is because the wounds from Capcom were still fresh, Mighty made loftier promises (releasing on all platforms and not just PC), and Comcept didn't have a previous Kickstarter game still sitting unreleased.  To paraphrase Jim Sterling, Comcept not only banked on nostalgia, they drove the discovery of the fact that nostalgia has a credit limit.

The reason I consider Capcom's current nostalgia-grabs preferable to their previous nostalgia-grabs is because the previous ones were focused almost exclusively on the NES style, to the point of neglecting the rest of the franchise.  Two new NES games, five old NES games, four re-releases of PS1 ports of NES games, and a remake of MM2 with [parasitic bomb] controls.  The fact that X1 and X2 existed on Wii's Virtual Consoles was sadly refreshing back then.  The current batch is, if nothing else, greater in scope; it spans darn near everything outside of ZX and Star Force.

Obviously Inafune is banking on nostalgia. That was clear from day 1. But that is absolutely not the only reason it worked for MN9 and not for Red Ash. The other reason it worked for MN9 is because Red Ash is an attempt to be a spiritual successor to the Legends series and, as it's been made painfully obvious to us, the Legends series is not a money making franchise and not enough people care about it for it to make a profit. It never was. As we've gone over, Legends 3 was never, repeat NEVER, going to make Capcom a profit at all. That is the primary reason they scrapped it in the first place, fans hearts be damned.

Jim Sterling doesn't need to look at Comcept to magically discover that nostalgia has a credit limit, because Capcom has proven that over and over again since even before the L3 shitfest. People will pay $10-$20 for a nostalgia trip like MM9/MM10. The majority of people are not paying $40-$60 for a new game like that, or an X9, ZX3, etc., even with shiny new graphics. That's why we've seen a big heaping helping of jackshit from them and why we'll most likely see the same for years to come.

And while they were primarily focusing on the classic series, at least we got something new to play. Not cameos, not DLs or collection series of the same game we've played, but something new. No matter the series, I will take new over re-tread any day of the [tornado fang]ing week, because cameos, re-treads, DLs, and collection series are still neglecting the franchises. When X1-X3 and MM7 are released on the New 3DS VC, I'll buy them to have those games portable. But if given the choice between that and a new classic 8-bit MM11, I would take the latter without giving it a second thought. Hell, I'd take a ZX3 and I have yet to play the ZX series.

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1509 on: June 17, 2016, 07:50:48 AM

Fear me.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #1510 on: June 17, 2016, 09:28:10 AM
Something about Mighty No. 9's level design seems like a fangame that doesn't get how Mega Man design works. I can tell that in some ways it's more like the X series which just throws obstacles to avoid and enemies in your way to destroy as the level progresses compared to Classic's "this part of the level is this challenge, get used to it and then master it," yet occasionally you get Classic-style moments like the spiked wall falls, but something just doesn't right about it all.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1511 on: June 17, 2016, 09:41:36 AM
Spiked wall falls really don't belong in the first batch of stages, IMHO.  Splash Woman's stage REALLY irritated me with how stealthily they threw that one out there.

As we've gone over, Legends 3 was never, repeat NEVER, going to make Capcom a profit at all.
Don't give me that "we all knew it was going to fail anyway" crap, you're just buying into what little bullshit Capcom gave us to justify themselves.  Legends will always be risky, but nobody can call it certain death when any sales data on it outside of Japan is over a decade old (and the sales data in Japan was two unenhanced ports trying to pass themselves off as full retail PSP games, brilliant move there).  SOMEBODY thought the thing was worthwhile if its production outlasted Universe's following Inafune's departure.

This is not touching the fact that Prototype was done and scrapping the project before getting it out the door only cost Capcom any chance they had to offset their loss and/or test the waters properly.  That wasn't sales logic, that was CoJ deliberately attacking the Devroom for threatening the closed-door development mentality (Gregaman referenced this in his cancellation-day message).

And while they were primarily focusing on the classic series, at least we got something new to play. Not cameos, not DLs or collection series of the same game we've played, but something new. No matter the series, I will take new over re-tread any day of the [tornado fang]ing week, because cameos, re-treads, DLs, and collection series are still neglecting the franchises.
I've got 122 hours and still counting of "new" logged into Project X Zone 2, Genmu Zero-ing grunts all the way.  No sidescroller clone will ever match that, nor will any NES rehash.  There's the gameplay formula, there's whose name is in the credits, and there's whether or not you're actually playing as a Mega Man character.  If Capcom's going to neglect the franchise; I'd rather they be schooled by someone who respects the characters than by someone who respects the stage select screen.

Of course, it helps that I was already a fan of Namco X Capcom anyway.  Plus there's the fact that PxZ1 gave us post-X4 Iris, and you damn well know no main-series Capcom game was EVER going to do that. 8)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1512 on: June 17, 2016, 12:00:02 PM
Spiked wall falls really don't belong in the first batch of stages, IMHO.  Splash Woman's stage REALLY irritated me with how stealthily they threw that one out there.
This case doesn't seem too hard in Jim's video, but simultaneously you don't have the advantage of vertical scroll stops giving you a second's premonition of what's about to come up.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1513 on: June 17, 2016, 12:02:30 PM
Don't give me that "we all knew it was going to fail anyway" crap, you're just buying into what little bullshit Capcom gave us to justify themselves.  Legends will always be risky, but nobody can call it certain death when any sales data on it outside of Japan is over a decade old (and the sales data in Japan was two unenhanced ports trying to pass themselves off as full retail PSP games, brilliant move there).  SOMEBODY thought the thing was worthwhile if its production outlasted Universe's following Inafune's departure.

This is not touching the fact that Prototype was done and scrapping the project before getting it out the door only cost Capcom any chance they had to offset their loss and/or test the waters properly.  That wasn't sales logic, that was CoJ deliberately attacking the Devroom for threatening the closed-door development mentality (Gregaman referenced this in his cancellation-day message).

Read my words. There's a difference between "doomed to fail" and "not going to make a profit." MML3 would have sold decently among MM fans and might (emphasis on might) have even made enough money to offset the cost of making it, but your average gamer has little interest in that franchise. Monster Hunter, RE, SF undoubtedly makes them more money than MM games. The game was clearly and primarily meant to be a "Thank You, loyal fans" type of game, much like MM9 & MM10 were. The Legends series was always a cult favorite, even among MM fans. Hell, an X9 probably had a better chance of making more money than a Legends 3 ever would among non-MM fans.

And while the fan involvement was a nice touch of said "Thank You, loyal fans", if they truly thought it had any chance of actually making them a lot of money, they wouldn't have pushed so hard for fan involvement in the first place. They would have just announced it, then eventually released it. You know, like pretty much EVERY SINGLE OTHER MEGAMAN/CAPCOM GAME they put out before it. Wanting to have fan involvement was a nice gesture, but it was still a ploy to garner casual gamer, non-MM fan interest from day [tornado fang]ing one of its announcement at the NYCC. It failed and turned a decent community PR event into a devastating heart-wrenching clusterfuck because CoJ are giraffe [tornado fang]ing moronic douchedumpsters.

And of course CoJ wasn't using sales logic. That was obvious from the moment they were going to charge actual money for a demo. A DEMO. I don't give a rats ass that it was only $2. You do not charge people for a [tornado fang]ing demo.

I've got 122 hours and still counting of "new" logged into Project X Zone 2, Genmu Zero-ing grunts all the way.  No sidescroller clone will ever match that, nor will any NES rehash.  There's the gameplay formula, there's whose name is in the credits, and there's whether or not you're actually playing as a Mega Man character.  If Capcom's going to neglect the franchise; I'd rather they be schooled by someone who respects the characters than by someone who respects the stage select screen.

Of course, it helps that I was already a fan of Namco X Capcom anyway.  Plus there's the fact that PxZ1 gave us post-X4 Iris, and you damn well know no main-series Capcom game was EVER going to do that. 8)

No offense to the time you've put into PXZ2, but so what? You could've just as easily said "I've put in countless, unrelenting hours into Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and I've mastered Zero" or "I [tornado fang]ing own people with MegaMan in Smash Bros." and it means absolutely dick in regards to the current state of the franchise, which is straight [tornado fang]'d.  I bought PXZ2 for $15 on Amazon and I will eventually play it, but that's because the game interests me even outside of X & Zero being in it. Just like how Smash Bros. interests me outside of Rock being in it. Those games are, in NO way, a replacement or substitute for a side-scrolling MegaMan game, whether classic, X, Zero, or the ZX series. That's what I want to play.

I like side-scrollers. That's why I love Shovel Knight & Shantae and that's why I'm hoping Mighty No. 9 is fun. If it is, I'll buy the next one. I'll eventually get into the Gunvolt series. If some other non-Comcept Kickstarter comes out and says they're going to make a "MegaMan style platformer" then I'll help fund that as well. They are giving me what I want. Capcom is not and no amount of cameos in other non side-scroller games is going to change that.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1514 on: June 20, 2016, 05:47:31 PM
While I personally don't listen to big name reviewers usually, it's getting mediocre scores all around, like 5.6 from IGN, 6.5 from Destructoid, and is currently trending a 62% on Metacritic for what it's worth. The crowds against the game already had all the ammo they need but this is going to be their meme they pass around for a bit it seems.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1515 on: June 20, 2016, 11:41:10 PM
Unfortunately.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1516 on: June 21, 2016, 12:01:55 AM
Well keep in mind IGN is literally retarded.

I actually watched IGN's review last night out of curiosity. All I got from it is the ice power is OP. Everything else was just words.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1517 on: June 21, 2016, 12:08:36 AM

I actually watched IGN's review last night out of curiosity. All I got from it is the ice power is OP. Everything else was just words.
......That's actually a bad thing considering Metal Blades exist?

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1518 on: June 21, 2016, 12:17:07 AM
The ice weapon freezes enemies more efficiently for dash drains, so careful usage and some dash spam can essentially tear swathes through enemy groups. Although infinite air dashes doesn't help the matter.
But then neither does the fact that spamming the blade weapon apparently makes you invulnerable during the animation, and it doesn't expend energy if it doesn't hit anything.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1519 on: June 21, 2016, 02:00:23 AM
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive since I pre-ordered the Wii U version. Hopefully my brother didn't screwed up the order by almost not having the money ready this morning and my mom having to cover the cost.

Need I remind everyone of IGN's Double Dragon Neon review?

[youtube]youtu.be/D8vsNj3GJO8[/youtube]

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1520 on: June 21, 2016, 02:03:35 AM
ign iz team magma becos too much water

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1521 on: June 21, 2016, 02:13:11 AM
I think this video that Johnny from Happy Console Gamer might be relevant, plus I think some of us can relate with the ride that Mighty No. 9 went through.
[youtube]youtu.be/DwV5khivRn0[/youtube]

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1522 on: June 21, 2016, 04:48:21 AM
I agree with him. Thanks for sharing this Viper.

By the way for those who backed the game... where do you get the code or something to get it and play the game when it comes out to public for everyone? I know I think I'm getting the PC and Wii U version, but I wanted some clarify to help with it.

I plan to make MN9 my first Let's Play videos even though I know it's going to get dislike I think like to do it.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1523 on: June 21, 2016, 05:34:11 AM
I'm guessing they'll email the code to us for what ever platform we supported? I can't remember if I entered my PSN name when doing that survey way back.

As for Might Number 9's iffy IGN review, well I'm planning on avoiding any and all information being spread about it right now-regardless of it's quality I want to go in as open minded as humanly possible and not be swayed by naysayers. Basically judging the game on it's own merits and critiquing accordingly.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1524 on: June 21, 2016, 05:43:13 AM
As for Might Number 9's iffy IGN review, well I'm planning on avoiding any and all information being spread about it right now-regardless of it's quality I want to go in as open minded as humanly possible and not be swayed by naysayers. Basically judging the game on it's own merits and critiquing accordingly.
Exactly my plan. Already in one of my video feed on YouTube there's a vid titled "Mighty No. 9 Doesn't Get Mega Mega", which hell no I'm not going to be arsed to watch it.