Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 259869

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1475 on: May 31, 2016, 08:38:31 AM
Make your posts easier to read, and less like verbal diarrhea.

Thanks.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1476 on: May 31, 2016, 04:40:20 PM
And these aren't exactly "baby steps" they're taking. They're pretty much doing the same thing they've been doing for a while, which is banking on nostalgia. It's not nothing, but it's not really something either. MegaMan isn't beyond recovery, but the only sign we've gotten that they're trying something/anything is a animated series that people are already pissed at.
Why are they pissed at it?  Because it deviates too far from the source.  No spiritual successor can solve that, and people found plenty of other reasons to be pissed at Mighty.

Legacy Collection came with a survey that included questions on interest in future sequels/collections in Japan, BTW.

theyve been licensing for ages now. I'ts pretty much the ONLY megaman activity.
I believe I said as much regarding the merchandising four pages ago.  They got a bit better about it in terms of their crossovers, though, you gotta give them that.  After the cancellation wave we were looking at Bad Box Art and a scooped up PC fangame.  I'll take Smash and PxZ over that any day.

That's to say nothing of the Archie comic, God rest its soul.

if anything, the ONLY valid "baby step" has been
STOP.

The correct answer is Legends on PSN.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1477 on: May 31, 2016, 07:28:08 PM
Why are they pissed at it?  Because it deviates too far from the source.  No spiritual successor can solve that, and people found plenty of other reasons to be pissed at Mighty.

Legacy Collection came with a survey that included questions on interest in future sequels/collections in Japan, BTW.

Also, due to the extremely simplistic character design the animated series has.

As for the survey, it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if those questions are really only for future collection ideas, not sequels.

They haven't shown to care about new entries, quick cash-in MM9 and 10 notwithstanding.

Which leads me to

STOP.

The correct answer is Legends on PSN.

You mean the game disc you can easily pop into your PS3?

PB is right. Capcom has been banking on nostalgia.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1478 on: May 31, 2016, 08:23:36 PM

Assuming you HAVE a physical disc. Prices for the Legends games (MoTB especially) regularly reached into the hundreds, didn't they?

Which is not to say that Capcom ain't banking on nostalgia or anything.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1479 on: May 31, 2016, 09:49:08 PM
Assuming you HAVE a physical disc. Prices for the Legends games (MoTB especially) regularly reached into the hundreds, didn't they?

Not really with Legends 1, that can still be found for $30-$40 if you look in the right places. Legends 2 is more expensive ($60-$90 depending on the seller/condition), but not to the extent of Misadventures which seems to have found a happy spot at $200+ (probably had a shorter print run because "vidya game with girl on cover= it probably won't sell).

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1480 on: May 31, 2016, 10:01:58 PM

PB is right. Capcom has been banking on nostalgia.
At the risk of being wrong and getting into trouble, I feel there's some hostility with your post.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1481 on: May 31, 2016, 10:13:17 PM

So. The. [tornado fang]. What. Who cares if it deviates too far from the source material? It doesn't change the fact that they're pissed at 1 frame and a few sentences of detail. If they're going to be pissed at that, pissed at MN9, then there's really no hope for this franchise because the people they're trying to make games for truly are unpleaseable assholes, and Capcom is fully aware of this! It means they can't make one thing because they'll be pissed that they're not making the other thing. "Here's MM11." "WHERE'S X9?" "Here's X9" "WHERE'S ZX3??" "Here's something new." "RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!"

Unless Nintendo actually does collaborate with Capcom to make a new MM game, they'll just keep pumping out cameos and downloadables and that'll be it, survey be damned.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1482 on: May 31, 2016, 10:19:11 PM
At the risk of being wrong and getting into trouble, I feel there's some hostility with your post.
Uh no, he's just being frank honestly.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1483 on: June 01, 2016, 12:11:56 AM
I'unno PB I'd be able to die happy after ZX3.

I mean I'll get my copy and chug some bleach I don't give a [parasitic bomb] that's all I asked for fam :^)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1484 on: June 01, 2016, 12:45:51 AM
I honestly don't think many would complain if they made ZX3, and that goes double for X9.

Because that would mean they're actually trying to do something new, but yeah, not going to happen any time soon.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1485 on: June 08, 2016, 06:32:42 AM
ZX in general is an outstanding concept with questionable presentation and execution.  I would kill for ZX3, but merely being ZX3 doesn't guarantee it will be a great thing, so....aw [tornado fang] it, I want ZX3, let's leave it at that.

So. The. [tornado fang]. What. Who cares if it deviates too far from the source material? It doesn't change the fact that they're pissed at 1 frame and a few sentences of detail. If they're going to be pissed at that, pissed at MN9, then there's really no hope for this franchise because the people they're trying to make games for truly are unpleaseable assholes, and Capcom is fully aware of this! It means they can't make one thing because they'll be pissed that they're not making the other thing. "Here's MM11." "WHERE'S X9?" "Here's X9" "WHERE'S ZX3??" "Here's something new." "RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!"
To be fair the fanbase had grown accustomed to looking forward to more than one Mega Man game at a time.  One game did not satisfy them even when they were a happy fanbase, because one game was never really expected to.

Does it suck that somebody always has to whine?  Yes, yes it does.  But I maintain today just as I did nearly five years ago that the scathing resentment of the fanbase is entirely Capcom's fault.  When they cancelled Legends 3, they shut down not only a long-demanded game, but a community that they built solely around the love of that game, one which drafted and submitted ideas to Capcom based on nothing but sheer passion, one which instantly forgave every broken website function they stumbled upon, one which was happy to discuss the favorite cookies of Capcom's employees, greived with them over natural disasters, and laughed with them at one of the heads of L3's development prancing around in a Battle Network character costume because he's just that much of a Mega Man nerd.  Capcom did not just strike against a game or even a franchise, they directly struck against the fanbase itself.  They invited their core fans, their evangelists, into a warm and cozy project and then cut them off and threw them to the wind with absolutely no warning as soon as some nameless dick suit decided it was convenient.  Capcom demonstrated, through that action, that their own consumers mean nothing and that their seeming displays of community with them are nothing but a complete smokescreen.

And so yes, I do argue, that even if Capcom is only banking on nostalgia and doing literally nothing else, the fact that they are doing an at all competent job of just banking on nostalgia is in and of itself an improvement over the absolute [parasitic bomb] muckpit that they dug themselves into.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1486 on: June 08, 2016, 08:30:39 AM
To be fair the fanbase had grown accustomed to looking forward to more than one Mega Man game at a time.  One game did not satisfy them even when they were a happy fanbase, because one game was never really expected to.

Does it suck that somebody always has to whine?  Yes, yes it does.  But I maintain today just as I did nearly five years ago that the scathing resentment of the fanbase is entirely Capcom's fault.  When they cancelled Legends 3, they shut down not only a long-demanded game, but a community that they built solely around the love of that game, one which drafted and submitted ideas to Capcom based on nothing but sheer passion, one which instantly forgave every broken website function they stumbled upon, one which was happy to discuss the favorite cookies of Capcom's employees, greived with them over natural disasters, and laughed with them at one of the heads of L3's development prancing around in a Battle Network character costume because he's just that much of a Mega Man nerd.  Capcom did not just strike against a game or even a franchise, they directly struck against the fanbase itself.  They invited their core fans, their evangelists, into a warm and cozy project and then cut them off and threw them to the wind with absolutely no warning as soon as some nameless dick suit decided it was convenient.  Capcom demonstrated, through that action, that their own consumers mean nothing and that their seeming displays of community with them are nothing but a complete smokescreen.

And so yes, I do argue, that even if Capcom is only banking on nostalgia and doing literally nothing else, the fact that they are doing an at all competent job of just banking on nostalgia is in and of itself an improvement over the absolute [parasitic bomb] muckpit that they dug themselves into.

Lol what? Of COURSE it's Capcom's fault. It's all Capcom's fault. That's the point! In one glorious, unmitigated [tornado fang] up, they managed to arson away one of their most loyal fanbases and scatter them to the [tornado fang]ing winds. I mean, do you remember how close the Capcom Unity people were with the MM fanbase before this [parasitic bomb] happened? Before they had to play crowd control with a rightfully hurt & pissed off group of people? Capcom [parasitic bomb] in their fan's faces and have done little to nothing to offer any sort of anything since then except the same "banking on nostalgia" [parasitic bomb]...WHICH THEY WERE ALREADY [tornado fang]ing DOING BEFORE THE LEGENDS 3 DEBACLE!! I mean, that's literally what MM9 & MM10 were. They were new games, but they were still games that relied on people's childhood love of the classic MM series. THEN they announced MML3 at that Comic Con, which again was always not going to be a monetary hit for them because it was a cult favorite even among MM games. THEN they Temple of Doom style ripped their fanbase's hearts out of their [tornado fang]ing chest.

So the fact that you think their recent stint of banking on nostalgia is an "improvement" is downright laughable, because at least before the MML3 [tornado fang] up their nostalgic bank-wank included ACTUAL new games fans could play through instead of games some fans might be playing slightly because Rock, X, Zero, etc. is making a cameo in it. (IE: Smash, Project X Zone). The latter is part of the overall problem of Capcom still, after 5-6 years, offering pretty much zero hope that we're ever going to see another MM game from them again.

It is that lack of caring why a lot of MM fans latched onto MN9 in the first place. It was the only sign of actual hope they had that they would either...

A. get a new platforming series they cared about, as well as a company that cared about them
B. send Capcom a message that they are willing to pay for a new MM game
C. both

And again, those are the reasons that despite the delays, the crappy trailers, the fact that I doubt I'll see a MN9-2, and all the other clusterfuck this game has gone through, I have absolutely no regrets about the money I spent on MN9's Kickstarter because, in the end, it's not like that money was [tornado fang]ing going to a new MM game anyway.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1487 on: June 10, 2016, 07:08:23 AM
Is it wrong for me to be more excited about playing Ray more than Beck? At least the like/dislike ratio in this trailer is fairing better than the "Masterclass" trailer though I get the feeling about more than half of those dislikes are just from trolls that still want to [parasitic bomb] on Mighty No. 9.

[youtube]youtu.be/K_dzxeDtJWk[/youtube]

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #1488 on: June 10, 2016, 07:48:25 PM
Ray's decreasing health and encouraging of dash spam at least creates some gameplay synergy. Something about the system just seems boring as hell for Beck in comparison, like they really wanted to spice up the X series dash by making it crucial for defeating enemies, but completely missed the mark.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1489 on: June 10, 2016, 11:07:57 PM
Ray's decreasing health and encouraging of dash spam at least creates some gameplay synergy. Something about the system just seems boring as hell for Beck in comparison, like they really wanted to spice up the X series dash by making it crucial for defeating enemies, but completely missed the mark.
this so much. The dash mechanic makes the game trivial for beck. its just... Boring as a gameplay mechanic Ray being melee with the dash seems to just work better. sinde it seems like more of a risk reward thing. you are a close range figher, you weaken them with melee and dash through them before you get hit

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1490 on: June 11, 2016, 12:03:45 AM
Yeah I already hate that mechanic. I just despise when you need some gimmick to kill enemies like Gunvolt's ridiculous tagging system.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1491 on: June 11, 2016, 04:26:03 AM
You don't need to tag enemies to kill them in Gunvolt though. You can just shoot them repeatedly and it works, or use an ultimate attack to deal damage. Tagging them just makes it so your Flashfield will do more damage because it's focusing on the tags. Tagging is hardly required though.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1492 on: June 11, 2016, 05:25:06 AM
True-but it doesn't really change the fact that Gunvolt really has way too much complication for what should in essence just be a simple run and gun platformer like the Zero/ZX series.

It would have been cooler to have Gunvolt just manipulate lightning and have all his attacks based on various ways he could do that. Rather than whatever the hell Gunvolt was trying to do---either way it made my hands hurt.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1493 on: June 11, 2016, 08:07:32 AM
Ah you guys... I love reading your posts! ^_^

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside... and glad to see civil folks. Perhaps you could educate the people in these comments:
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/10/keiji-inafune-expresses-regret-mighty-no-9s-delay-looking-forward-sequel/

But then again they are kinda toxic and I don't think I'm that good at explaining things to them like you guys do. They never said it was Inafune himself that pulled the plug on MML3 and calling him a con man when he's finally going to deliver the game. Sigh... people will forever been salty.

Ah, sorry for ruining the fun times here. Let's go back to discuss how poor Capcom's decision on MM games have been recently and their other series as well.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1494 on: June 11, 2016, 08:33:15 AM
Plus shooting everything to death did almost no meaningful damage in Gunvolt, and was completely inefficient during bosses.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1495 on: June 12, 2016, 03:23:14 AM
Perhaps you could educate the people in these comments:

But then again they are kinda toxic and I don't think I'm that good at explaining things to them like you guys do.
I don't think I can do any better when you got a hatedom with all of the emotions of a T-800 since all they want to do is inspire arguments, they can't be reasoned with, and want nothing more than to see Inafune crash and burn at this point. Trying to show any sign of consideration or humility will likely backfire like Gonzo said.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1496 on: June 12, 2016, 07:24:44 AM
Well I want Inafune AND Kojima to crash and burn but i'm not insistent on it i'm just waiting for karma is all :^)

...In all seriousness though, you need to see things from their point of view. They're VERY frustrated with Inafune's constant delays and the way he's handled... Well, everything lately. Comcept has been shady as all hell.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1497 on: June 12, 2016, 09:36:22 AM
I'm aware, but their attitude is... irrational at times.

I know that Inafune has delay the game due to the Engine they first started working on stopped being support and they had to start over again, Deep Silver someone messed up on the first publishing (I need to look into that again to see the exact details), and then Sony and Microsoft's rule about not releasing games without online components in... it's just one string of bad luck with another!

Though he did bit off more than he could chew and he should've started with releasing the game first before trying to do a multiple media franchise with it and the timing with Red Ash didn't help at all.

If he planned things better and communicate with his fans he might of defused some of the hate and frustration in the first place, but what's done is done. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and plans better and tries to regain some of the trust in lost in people.

But he at least IS releasing a game so he did promise to deliver the game. I enjoyed the demo and I look forward to the full game. I might make that my first Let's Play video. ^_^

Though I'm thinking TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan or Odin Sphere first.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1498 on: June 12, 2016, 09:38:43 AM
Red Ash Chris, it's Red Ash not Red Dash.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1499 on: June 12, 2016, 09:44:16 AM
Oh sorry my bad! ^^;