Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 260236

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1450 on: May 30, 2016, 12:42:45 AM
I just get annoyed by the ones who want to [parasitic bomb] on this game for fun since it's the "cool" thing to do and the liars who keep spreading the tall tale that it was supposed to be a 2-D Sprite game. 

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1451 on: May 30, 2016, 02:06:15 AM
I know, right? If you ask me, it's [tornado fang]ing pathetic to see these idiots putting this game and the developers down 24/7/365, as if they're trying to make themselves better than Inafune's team, and those more understanding and patient about the situation. Last time I checked, no body is perfect. They're no better than a schoolyard bully pushing around kids and getting away with anything they do. It's also sad to see that people are severely forgetting that what Comcept shown in the initial Kickstarter pitch is just a concept art, not what the final product is going to be.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1452 on: May 30, 2016, 05:12:53 AM
Amen to that. It's just sad to detractors only want to [parasitic bomb] on Inafune and this game just to make themselves feel better. *cough**cough* Don't get me wrong, they definitely screwed up with marketing and such, but I don't think it's worth turning it into a war crime.
well that comes from the fact that for all the massive amount of money it got, it visually doesnt really reflect that, and there's been games with far smaller budgets that look way better

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1453 on: May 30, 2016, 05:20:44 AM
well that comes from the fact that for all the massive amount of money it got, it visually doesnt really reflect that, and there's been games with far smaller budgets that look way better

I'm legit curious, which games are you talking about? How much did they cost to make?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1454 on: May 30, 2016, 05:52:14 AM
Both. The essential idea behind ALL of this was that if Capcom wasn't going to make anymore MegaMan games, it'd be nice to support someone that actually is. That hasn't changed, despite all the crap MN9 has gone through/put us through. Throughout all of this [parasitic bomb], Capcom has still shown absolutely no inclinations of making more MegaMan games, be it Classic, X, Legends, etc.

This game could be absolute [parasitic bomb] and I'd have zero regrets about the money I spent to support it. The point was to have a chance. At the time, this was pretty much the best chance we had to both have a new MM type game and show support for said style of game. Will it matter? Probably not. Thus far all we've seen out of Capcom regarding the franchise, besides the usual merch, is a new animated series that fans are already angry with/not willing to give a chance after LITERALLY one image and a few sentence describing it. So what the [tornado fang] does all of this tell you? It tells me that gamers are impatient, unpleaseable assholes and that's not going to change. It means that Capcom is simply going to continue going with series' that are guaranteed money makers, which MegaMan obviously no longer is. We'll see if the new cartoon can actually change that. I'm not holding my breathe though.
Well, I can respect that even if I don't agree with it (except for the "gamers are impatient, unpleaseable assholes" part, 'cuz they kind of are).  My issue is that I get aggravated by overzealous fans of the spiritual successors, as they have an unfortunate tendency to dismiss the original so long as gameplay is similar enough.  But if one has ANY respect for the whole "video games are art" mentality, I cannot possibly imagine denying that the specific characters and world that they depict have an appeal of their own beyond mere play mechanics.  They certainly do to me.  I mean, case in point: Mega Man X Command Mission.  I know enough about RPGs to know it's not THAT good of an RPG, but it's supremely awesome because it's freaking Mega Man X in an RPG.

Given that, I don't think it is stubborn or unpleaseable to cite the fact that Mighty can never be Mega Man (or that Red Ash can never be Legends).  Apart from that, I DO want more oldschool-styled platformers, but I have Shantae and Gunvolt for that.

There was also Legacy Collection, which was met with much hate because it didn't have 9 and 10 or that it didn't have 7 and 8 or that it accurately emulated the NES versions which included slowdown and screen flicker, among many other things. I mean I rather enjoyed it and the challenge mode is kinda cool but... considering the hate that a newish Mega Man title got because it was just a collection, I can easily see Capcom deciding we don't need more games. Which pisses me off because it's like, so many people complain that there's not a single Mega Man game from Capcom released in years and when they actually try to release something it's met with vehement vitriol and then when they decide no more MM games the complaints due to very poor reception of MMLC and the whining will start over again.
While the core fans range from upset to indifferent I think the general public is another matter; pretty sure I saw MMLC as the poster child of the eShop's best sellers list.  It also got my wife talking about Mega Man, and my wife doesn't talk about Mega Man.  How did that happen?  Because it exists at retail, where people can look at it on a shelf.  It's been SIX YEARS since the last time that happened, and that was Zero Collection.

And that's pretty much the reason why there's Zero (see what I did there  8D) reason for Capcom to make any new MegaMan games. They hilariously and arsonistically burned their PR bridges with the Legends 3 clusterfuckbuster and there is no interest from the mainstream outside the MM fanbase for a brand new MegaMan game.

Unless Nintendo wants to push for a new MegaMan game based on the excitement of having him in the Smash Bros., our best hope for the franchise is currently tied to an upcoming animated series that people are already pissed about. In other words, the situation is still Mega-bleak, ladies and gentlemen.
Step 1: Nintendo announces they collaborate with Capcom on a new Mega Man exclusive.
Step 2: Nintendo does their ninja-secret-development thing and gives NO FURTHER DETAILS until the release is set in stone and the game is ready to be demoed off.  Whatever it is they do reveal uses the Smash Bros. designs.

Problem.  Solved.  It could be Classic, X, Legends, nobody would care, they'd love it anyway.

[spoiler=THIS IS BRILLIANT]You know what?  Make it Legends, and make the Mega Man Amiibo let you play Legends as Classic Mega Man. 8B[/spoiler]

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #1455 on: May 30, 2016, 07:11:56 AM
I'm legit curious, which games are you talking about? How much did they cost to make?

He's probably referring to this image passing around.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #1456 on: May 30, 2016, 07:58:47 AM
well we can't all afford mouth animations like you can

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1457 on: May 30, 2016, 08:19:55 AM
Well, I can respect that even if I don't agree with it (except for the "gamers are impatient, unpleaseable assholes" part, 'cuz they kind of are).  My issue is that I get aggravated by overzealous fans of the spiritual successors, as they have an unfortunate tendency to dismiss the original so long as gameplay is similar enough.  But if one has ANY respect for the whole "video games are art" mentality, I cannot possibly imagine denying that the specific characters and world that they depict have an appeal of their own beyond mere play mechanics.  They certainly do to me.  I mean, case in point: Mega Man X Command Mission.  I know enough about RPGs to know it's not THAT good of an RPG, but it's supremely awesome because it's freaking Mega Man X in an RPG.

The specific character and world absolutely have an appeal of their own. The issue here is that Capcom is not ACTUALLY making games about those specific characters and worlds that we like. The majority of fans have "dismissed" the series because the series has been missing for a long time and there are pretty much zero signs that Capcom has any plans to start it up again. As I said when MM9 & MM10 came out, "the only reason I stopped buying 8-bit classic MM games is they stopped making them!" After years of damn near hopeless abandonment and cameos here and there, even the most loyal of fans are going to move on to something new, something or someone that's going to give them something they want.

For example, there's a game that came out not too long ago called Last Fight. I played the demo at PAX East and it's a spiritual successor to Capcom's Power Stone series. It's a lot of fun. While it's not going to have the characters I love, it's not like I'm getting that anyway. A while back, at another PAX back in Seattle, I talked to S-Kill about this when SFIV came out. He's a HUGE Power Stone fan and he was honest that there's little to no chance that Capcom will ever make a Power Stone 3 because it was more of a cult hit and didn't make much money, unlike SF. Maybe that will chance if Last Fight does well. I sincerely doubt it.

Step 1: Nintendo announces they collaborate with Capcom on a new Mega Man exclusive.
Step 2: Nintendo does their ninja-secret-development thing and gives NO FURTHER DETAILS until the release is set in stone and the game is ready to be demoed off.  Whatever it is they do reveal uses the Smash Bros. designs.

Problem.  Solved.  It could be Classic, X, Legends, nobody would care, they'd love it anyway.

[spoiler=THIS IS BRILLIANT]You know what?  Make it Legends, and make the Mega Man Amiibo let you play Legends as Classic Mega Man. 8B[/spoiler]

I'm all for this. They should make it an NX release title.

He's probably referring to this image passing around.

Ahhhh okay.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1458 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:14 AM
I find it kinda funny that Half-Genie Hero is there because that was on KS the same time as this and I ended up backing that over MN9 because I couldn't afford to do both lol

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1459 on: May 30, 2016, 07:00:13 PM
But wasn't Skullgirls funded through IndieGoGo because of Lab Zero's falling out with Reverge Labs and they needed donations to keep development going when Autumn Games picked the Skullgirls IP, unless that was their initial budget they worked with when development of the game first started?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #1460 on: May 30, 2016, 08:05:52 PM
The specific character and world absolutely have an appeal of their own. The issue here is that Capcom is not ACTUALLY making games about those specific characters and worlds that we like. The majority of fans have "dismissed" the series because the series has been missing for a long time and there are pretty much zero signs that Capcom has any plans to start it up again. As I said when MM9 & MM10 came out, "the only reason I stopped buying 8-bit classic MM games is they stopped making them!" After years of damn near hopeless abandonment and cameos here and there, even the most loyal of fans are going to move on to something new, something or someone that's going to give them something they want.

For example, there's a game that came out not too long ago called Last Fight. I played the demo at PAX East and it's a spiritual successor to Capcom's Power Stone series. It's a lot of fun. While it's not going to have the characters I love, it's not like I'm getting that anyway. A while back, at another PAX back in Seattle, I talked to S-Kill about this when SFIV came out. He's a HUGE Power Stone fan and he was honest that there's little to no chance that Capcom will ever make a Power Stone 3 because it was more of a cult hit and didn't make much money, unlike SF. Maybe that will chance if Last Fight does well. I sincerely doubt it.
I get that, but moving on is done at the individual's discretion, when, and what is infinitely more important, WHERE they choose.  The fanbase labels one "spiritual successor" and expects everyone to make the move to that specific game.  It doesn't work like that.

And besides, there is a difference between a dead franchise and a neglected franchise.  In the last four years I've gotten three brand new games that let me play as Mega Man.  Capcom just didn't make them.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1461 on: May 30, 2016, 10:03:23 PM
I get that, but moving on is done at the individual's discretion, when, and what is infinitely more important, WHERE they choose.  The fanbase labels one "spiritual successor" and expects everyone to make the move to that specific game.  It doesn't work like that.

And besides, there is a difference between a dead franchise and a neglected franchise.  In the last four years I've gotten three brand new games that let me play as Mega Man.  Capcom just didn't make them.

Of course it doesn't work like that. You're talking about what a certain fanbase chooses or doesn't choose and if time has taught us anything, it's that rabid fanbases are dumb. loud and scattered. The only reason this particular spiritual successor got as much labeling is because it was created by the original creator of MegaMan. That's no reason to blindly follow them at all, but you're dealing with a fanbase that WILL blindly follow stuff no matter how bad it is. Case in point, playing an amazingly shitty RPG just because it has MegaMan X in it!  8D

The point with all of this is for you to do you. I supported MN9 for the reasons I stated. If other people don't want to because of whatever reason, that's no problem. There's Shovel Knight, Shantae, Gunvolt, and other such franchises out there. Well, you know, except for MegaMan.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1462 on: May 30, 2016, 10:12:36 PM
Eh I'll say that Command Mission wasn't that bad and it was kind of unique, but there were quite a few problems with it I agree.  The writing could have used a bit of sprucing up and honestly the newer characters really needed more presence, especially Marino and Cinnamon.

I also don't like how the only method of healing you had were finding Sub Tanks and Cinnamon, but I especially hated the former.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1463 on: May 30, 2016, 10:25:01 PM
I PUT EVERY POWERUP ITEM I HAD INTO SPIDER BECAUSE HE WAS SO [tornado fang]ing COOL. EVERY SINGLE ONE. THEN I WAS [tornado fang]'d.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1464 on: May 30, 2016, 10:29:19 PM
I need to play that game one day... if Dolphin is willing to not create glitches with the graphics, or if I can get GC copy for cheap.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1465 on: May 30, 2016, 10:36:27 PM
I PUT EVERY POWERUP ITEM I HAD INTO SPIDER BECAUSE HE WAS SO [tornado fang]ing COOL. EVERY SINGLE ONE. THEN I WAS [tornado fang]'d.
God I am so sorry man. *pats back*

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1466 on: May 30, 2016, 10:44:32 PM
TBH I didn't like gunvolt too much either. I liked the level design but the combat was unintuitive and frustrating imo.

Plus I don't like depressing stuff.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1467 on: May 30, 2016, 11:12:46 PM
Yeah I do agree I didn't like the tagging system, though I really did like the plot.  However getting the Chaos Emeralds for the True Ending is kind of bullshit though.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #1468 on: May 31, 2016, 12:13:03 AM
For me it was more that the true ending requires equipping useless items against an already balls-hard boss.  It was still fun, but it makes the game tough to pick up again after you've been away from it for a while.

The only reason this particular spiritual successor got as much labeling is because it was created by the original creator of MegaMan.
At what point did Akira Kitamura join Comcept?

Besides, that's no excuse.  Original creators are not immune to mucking up their own work, and if one expects a given franchise, style, etc. to survive the ages, passing the torch at some point is absolutely vital.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1469 on: May 31, 2016, 12:18:08 AM
At what point did Akira Kitamura join Comcept?

Besides, that's no excuse.  Original creators are not immune to mucking up their own work, and if one expects a given franchise, style, etc. to survive the ages, passing the torch at some point is absolutely vital.

It's not an excuse. I'm just explaining the partial reasoning behind it. Again, the overall point is that Capcom isn't doing dick.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1470 on: May 31, 2016, 12:22:42 AM
Yeah Gunvolt's next to impossible without prevasion as it is. Unlike the Zero/ZX games that were hard yet fair, Gunvolt's bosses hit you with so much AOE and stuff that's unavoidable that prevasion is really necessary until you can perfectly dodge near everything.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1471 on: May 31, 2016, 12:26:35 AM
Yeah seriously, especially Jota.  [tornado fang] Jota man.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #1472 on: May 31, 2016, 12:28:59 AM
To be clear, my problem is not with the act of blindly following, it's with demanding others to do the same, and/or faulting them when they refuse.  Sad to say, there was a LOT of that going on when Mighty was still considered successful.

As for Cappy......I'd less say they're doing nothing and more say they're taking baby steps.  They're licensing and they're re-releasing.  Is it enough?  Hell no.  But it's better than where they were in 2011, and it certainly beats the hell out of what, say, Power Stone fans have gotten.  To say now that Mega Man is beyond recovery is a bit premature.  I will grant, though, that unless something else is in the works that we don't know about, things do look like they're about to get worse before they get better.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1473 on: May 31, 2016, 12:55:41 AM
To be clear, my problem is not with the act of blindly following, it's with demanding others to do the same, and/or faulting them when they refuse.  Sad to say, there was a LOT of that going on when Mighty was still considered successful.

As for Cappy......I'd less say they're doing nothing and more say they're taking baby steps.  They're licensing and they're re-releasing.  Is it enough?  Hell no.  But it's better than where they were in 2011, and it certainly beats the hell out of what, say, Power Stone fans have gotten.  To say now that Mega Man is beyond recovery is a bit premature.  I will grant, though, that unless something else is in the works that we don't know about, things do look like they're about to get worse before they get better.

Like I said, a ton of fanbases are idiots. Whether they are blindly following something OR forcing others to do so, both situations are ultimately stupid.

And these aren't exactly "baby steps" they're taking. They're pretty much doing the same thing they've been doing for a while, which is banking on nostalgia. It's not nothing, but it's not really something either. MegaMan isn't beyond recovery, but the only sign we've gotten that they're trying something/anything is a animated series that people are already pissed at.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1474 on: May 31, 2016, 08:09:52 AM

theyve been licensing for ages now. I'ts pretty much the ONLY megaman activity.

if anything, the ONLY valid "baby step" has been that they commissioned an animated series, and we'll see how THAT goes, considering people are already upset at it, and capcom gauges interest extremely vaguely and refuses to ever consider their own judgement at fault, so if the series turns out [parasitic bomb], and people dont watch it, they'll just say "oh well people dont like megaman anymore I guess"

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.