Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 259847

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #950 on: July 06, 2014, 07:34:08 AM
Yeah I agree with that like Flame said his eyes look pretty bad, some parts looked a bit clunky, I think that Beck was too small, and I would hope the voice actor would not have that childish of a voice.  But again I think the CG suits Beck since Mighty Number 9 is in 3D unlike ZX which has an anime style and that trailer for the canceled anime series ZX would have had. 

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #951 on: July 06, 2014, 07:54:33 AM
Gonna give them more money?

"$100,000 for English voice acting"

what the [tornado fang]

Um, I think Digital Frontier is a Japanese animation company, not American.

Oh, I see. Still, my statement stands regarding American cartoons.

Also, I just looked it up, and Avatar/Korra is mostly a mix between American and Korean animation. Studio Pierrot also helped out with Korra, which is a Japanese company. Those really great looking episodes of Korra (like the ones with Wan), I believe was done by a korean studio by the name of Studio Mir.

Meanwhile, Nickelodeon Studios seems to be the only American company in the mix. I'd assume that's where the creators animate some of the episodes, for obvious reasons.

But yeah, it's a mix.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #952 on: July 06, 2014, 08:04:45 AM
Great. Now I can watch a show just like a show I watched decades ago based on a game just like a game I played decades ago.

Also

Mighty No. 9: New Funding Campaign Announcement

Gonna give them more money?
I already gave them my dosh. My wallet can only go so deep for a crowdsource

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #953 on: July 06, 2014, 08:07:35 AM
True I certainly would have preferred this magical girl anime made by the french to have stayed anime instead of going into Pixar quality CGI, though it still looks pretty damn good none the less.

Ladybug PV

ZAG Ladybug Teaser - Licensing Show 2014

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #954 on: July 06, 2014, 08:08:22 AM
That CG.

Eww.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #955 on: July 06, 2014, 08:14:10 AM
"$100,000 for English voice acting"

what the [tornado fang]

Also, I just looked it up, and Avatar/Korra is mostly a mix between American and Korean animation. Studio Pierrot also helped out with Korra, which is a Japanese company. Those really great looking episodes of Korra (like the ones with Wan), I believe was done by a korean studio by the name of Studio Mir.

Meanwhile, Nickelodeon Studios seems to be the only American company in the mix. I'd assume that's where the creators animate some of the episodes, for obvious reasons.

But yeah, it's a mix.
Just wanted to say that Studio Mir has done almost all the animation for both A:TLA and Korra. It's just several episodes in Korra Book 2 that Pierrot did, and the difference is quite noticeable.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #956 on: July 06, 2014, 08:29:20 AM
Just wanted to say that Studio Mir has done almost all the animation for both A:TLA and Korra. It's just several episodes in Korra Book 2 that Pierrot did, and the difference is quite noticeable.

I believe Nickelodeon Studios had a fair bit of involvement with the animation, too. If not more so with TLA.

And I'm pretty sure Mir only worked on Korra.

True I certainly would have preferred this magical girl anime made by the french to have stayed anime instead of going into Pixar quality CGI, though it still looks pretty damn good none the less.

See, that's one of the very rare examples of TV show CGI done right.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #957 on: July 06, 2014, 08:32:02 AM
It also helps that Zagtoon has the help of Toei and Disney among many others and a huge ass budget for the show too, but yeah I'm pretty interested in the series since it reminds me of Shugo Chara and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, except in Paris.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #958 on: July 06, 2014, 09:34:26 AM
I believe Nickelodeon Studios had a fair bit of involvement with the animation, too. If not more so with TLA.

And I'm pretty sure Mir only worked on Korra.
It appears you are right. Though the founder of Studio Mir was the animation director for TLA, so you can see how I got confused.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Archer

Reply #959 on: July 06, 2014, 09:52:42 AM
See, that's one of the very rare examples of TV show CGI done right.

I hope you're joking.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #960 on: July 06, 2014, 11:55:58 AM
Regarding American cartoons becoming simplified and or GC:

It's sadly all a budget issue. Avatar/Korra is substantially more costly to make than most shows. For this reason, the show has constantly been threatened with cancellation as the cost to produce the show doesn't really pull in the proportional amount of viewers to justify it over other more simple, and thus less costly, shows.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #961 on: July 06, 2014, 01:07:22 PM
Well to be fair to Korra, it would probably have more viewers if Nick actually put it into a good timeslot, cause where it's at now ain't doing it any favors.

Archer

Reply #962 on: July 06, 2014, 01:24:29 PM
[spoiler]Or you know, being a better show might help too.[/spoiler]

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #963 on: July 06, 2014, 06:17:01 PM
I hope you're joking.

No. It almost looks like Pixar quality, which is a huge compliment.

Keep in mind that it's a show, not a movie, so on a technical standpoint, it's quite a feat.

[spoiler]Or you know, being a better show might help too.[/spoiler]

Most people who watch Korra either like it or love it. And there are people who prefer TLA (like myself), but still enjoy Korra for what it is.

And then of course, you have those who hate it simply because the feel and pacing of the show is very different from TLA.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #964 on: July 07, 2014, 03:41:51 AM
No. It almost looks like Pixar quality, which is a huge compliment.

Keep in mind that it's a show, not a movie, so on a technical standpoint, it's quite a feat.

But it doesn't look good. The original version was much better.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #965 on: July 09, 2014, 05:15:34 AM
So uh anyway they changed the new crowdfunding thing up.

Instead of 100,000 for the english dub they made it 200,000 for BOTH english and Japanese.

As you can imagine, its not doing as hot.

gg, inafune.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #966 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:53 PM
They really [tornado fang]'d up on explaining what the new crowdfunding initiative was about.

What it's actually about, is lots of people complaining they didn't get to back MN9, so they decided to continue the original kickstarter, off of kickstarter.

What people see and understood however, is "GIVE ME MORE MONEY, 4M WASN'T ENOUGH, THANKS." especially with voice acting that damn high up on the price scale. it just comes across as a cash grab, and the timely announcement of the Animated series makes it even more so. Despite Comcept not having pushed for it, but offered it from outside.

Then again, communication was never a strong point with Comcept, given the forum disaster.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #967 on: July 16, 2014, 10:46:48 PM
That's because it is a cash grab. No need to defend them.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #968 on: July 16, 2014, 11:02:28 PM
To be fair voice acting does cost a lot, but yeah it still sounds like a cash grab even still.  Maybe he should have started with a smaller goal or something to make it less obnoxious sounding, though they are just extras really.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #969 on: July 17, 2014, 03:38:47 AM
I'll post what I did at another place regarding the whole thing. To put some context in it, someone said that Skullgirls had a lesser price tag on their voice work stretch goal.

The post:

They have to RE-create the scenes to work well with voice if they get their goal. Thats backtracking and more work than just adding a sound file playing every now and then. This could be new animation work, and new scripting work for two languages. That is if they want to do it right. On top of all this they have to re-schedule the whole thing mid development. Yeah, I can see it. It's probably rounded up a little, to allow for creative experimentation and unforeseen issues, but still. You want a high quality product right? You want it done right? That doesn't come cheap.

Compare that to Skullgirls where they inserted new sound effect files that happen to be recordings of people's voices, in a game where the fights already have sound effects playing. Not to mention full lines are considerably more expensive than a handful battle quips. You'll even need those as well for MN9, for the in game voices.

Game development isn't magic, or cheap. They are targetting April 2015 for release. The less your budget the less people you can hire, and the more work each person has to do, which takes a substantially larger amount of time. This is more and more true as games get more expensive to make, as player expectations are ever growing.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #970 on: July 17, 2014, 03:44:53 AM
Not to mention I get the feeling that Mighty No 9 might probably have scenes after stages like Megaman 7 and the Japanese version of eight judging by the concept art of Call putting on clothes in front of Beck, or whatever it was. 

Honestly the game is supposed to have some comedy between Beck who has a 'soul' and Call who at the moment does not and voice acting would high light that.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #971 on: July 17, 2014, 03:52:24 AM
In the long run, it's not going to have any effect on the gameplay or game itself. It's just an optional bonus they're offering people if they want to pay for it. If not, the game will move on without it. There's really all there is to it. If I had the money, I'd probably throw a bit more cash there way, but I have car payments now! XD

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #972 on: July 17, 2014, 03:56:04 AM
If I was older with a well paying job and the rewards had physical copy options I would of donated $50 for that no problem, but I don't.  I would like to see it happen though to be honest.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #973 on: July 17, 2014, 04:11:50 AM
I already gave my $60 for a physical copy of the game.

I'm not giving any more.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #974 on: July 17, 2014, 04:19:21 AM
Anyway I kind of forgot to post about July's update.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/906839

I never would have thought that Mighty No 2 was actually a girl, though the fact that she's also supposed to be like a baby kind of weirds me out a bit especially since she's made for combat and they actually said her water spraying attack is kind of like a baby going potty.  I would have preferred if they said she was like a kid playing with a super soaker instead, that makes more sense to me.