Nexus · 260119

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #775 on: December 19, 2013, 09:22:22 PM
Indeed.

Haha, I'm not really good at PR, so I'd definitely be the wrong fit for that forum!

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #776 on: December 19, 2013, 09:24:25 PM
Indeed.

Haha, I'm not really good at PR, so I'd definitely be the wrong fit for that forum!
What is necessary to be a good PR in the first place?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #777 on: December 19, 2013, 09:27:20 PM
For one, being very, very, VERY good with words, and knowing exactly what to say and how to say it. It's basically speechcraft

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #778 on: December 19, 2013, 09:28:10 PM
For one, being very, very, VERY good with words, and knowing exactly what to say and how to say it. It's basically speechcraft
So like my Business Communications class basically.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #779 on: December 19, 2013, 09:31:32 PM
Well, yeah. In business classes of any kind, you are taught how to say things and how to present things so they appear appealing, or at least so they can be palatable or "understandable". I mean, Business is basically all about making deals and communicating, so speech is very important.

Another example, Reception is another job that requires the kind of skills that a PR person could use. Although not really as nessecary to them.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #780 on: December 19, 2013, 09:33:00 PM

Patience & Tolerance are the key factors. I mean, to be blunt, you're dealing with naive, bumbling, impatient, whiny idiots, and I'm not just talking about gamers here. People want things their own way, and a lot of times they will [sonic slicer] their way into getting it. It's like dealing with a child, except these children have you by the money balls a lot of times. As a PR person, your job is to not only try to make everyone happy while doing it in a respectful manner, but resist the unbelievable urge to tell them to [tornado fang] off.

And that's just doing it in person. Imagine trying to deal with gamers on a FORUM. They are faceless & they are fearless. They don't have to worry about looking like an ass to anyone they really care about or know, and boy do they look like asses. Look at what the Capcom-Unity USA forum had to deal with, and STILL has to deal with after the Legends 3 debacle, when they had NOTHING to do with it. Nothing.

This is why, while it is very awesome to give people input into the creative process like this, a lot of times it's a baaaaad idea. Especially over the internet. You have too many conflicting opinions and too many crazy people with their heads so far up their ass that it creates an ass-head loop paradox. Like I said, they are faceless, and they are fearless. And they are, for the most part, unsatisfiable.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #781 on: December 19, 2013, 09:36:27 PM
Patience & Tolerance are the key factors. I mean, to be blunt, you're dealing with naive, bumbling, impatient, whiny idiots, and I'm not just talking about gamers here. People want things their own way, and a lot of times they will [sonic slicer] their way into getting it. It's like dealing with a child, except these children have you by the money balls a lot of times. As a PR person, your job is to not only try to make everyone happy while doing it in a respectful manner, but resist the unbelievable urge to tell them to [tornado fang] off.

And that's just doing it in person. Imagine trying to deal with gamers on a FORUM. They are faceless & they are fearless. They don't have to worry about looking like an ass to anyone they really care about or know, and boy do they look like asses. Look at what the Capcom-Unity USA forum had to deal with, and STILL has to deal with after the Legends 3 debacle, when they had NOTHING to do with it. Nothing.

This is why, while it is very awesome to give people input into the creative process like this, a lot of times it's a baaaaad idea. Especially over the internet. You have too many conflicting opinions and too many crazy people with their heads so far up their ass that it creates an ass-head loop paradox. Like I said, they are faceless, and they are fearless. And they are, for the most part, unsatisfiable.
Yeah I probably wouldn't be a good fit either, dealing with people in real life and damage control I can do, but not something like that. 

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #782 on: December 19, 2013, 09:37:16 PM
Yet, i don't remember there being any problems, or not NEARLY as many, with the Legends 3 Devroom while the project lasted. No doubt because they had a Capcom person, a professional, handling that sort of thing.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #783 on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:44 PM
Yeah I probably wouldn't be a good fit either, dealing with people in real life and damage control I can do, but not something like that. 

I'm actually a pretty good schmoozer, but I have little to no patience, and I'm not the best at tolerance. I have no problems telling people to [tornado fang] off.

Yet, i don't remember there being any problems, or not NEARLY as many, with the Legends 3 Devroom while the project lasted. No doubt because they had a Capcom person, a professional, handling that sort of thing.

It could also be that people didn't directly fund Legends 3 either. When money is involved, it eschews things.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #784 on: December 19, 2013, 09:42:46 PM
Maybe.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #785 on: December 19, 2013, 09:43:35 PM
I'm actually a pretty good schmoozer, but I have little to no patience, and I'm not the best at tolerance. I have no problems telling people to [tornado fang] off.
Yeah same here to be honest.  I can be patient and tolerant but  not that patient and tolerant in a situation like that.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #786 on: December 19, 2013, 09:51:10 PM
Maybe.

Definitely. Even so, the problem is this: people didn't like her to begin with it seems, for whatever reason. The M#9 team probably didn't anticipate gamers being this fickle or stupid. They were wrong. While the best solution is probably just to nuke the forum, fire her, and start over...it's probably not going to help. A lot of times, when people make up their minds there is no solving the problem. Plus, if they do fire her & start over, it's going to get out to the Kotaku & MarySue websites and the matter is going to be brought up. There is no easy solution to this. The fact that it has gotten this far to begin with says everything you need to know about what kind of people, and I use that word loosely, you're dealing with here.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #787 on: December 19, 2013, 09:52:02 PM
When dealing with something like this, you want to do damage control while maintaining a relatively unbiased viewpoint, but still acting in the best interest of the company.  Address consumer concerns, acknowledge detractors, and attempt to provide a temporary solution, while stating that a more permanent solution is being discussed, and that you'll pass on their comments and suggestions in hopes of resolving the problem as smoothly, efficiently, and quickly as possible.

With Wookieepedia's reputation based heavily on some toxic admins, I end up doing a lot of damage control when representing the wiki at a public event.  We won't be able to dethrone some of our problem admins, but I can at least save face by showing others the helpful side of Wookieepedia.  I'm basically the PR rep.

Right now, the best thing that they could do to solve this situation is to close down and delete the forums, and open new ones with better software.  They're young enough that they can get away with sweeping it all under the rug.  The sooner the problem is dealt with, the quicker they can work on cleaning up their image.  Just need to take Ol Yeller out behind the woodshed, first.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #788 on: December 19, 2013, 09:54:46 PM
Speaking of which, this happened too.

"lol!"

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #789 on: December 19, 2013, 09:55:19 PM
I don't know what's exactly going on and I don't give a [tornado fang].
But from the couple of things I read, it's the fanbase/community being RETARDED.

Go figure.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #790 on: December 19, 2013, 09:58:34 PM

"lol!"
I love Heat Man's response. XD

I don't know what's exactly going on and I don't give a [tornado fang].
But from the couple of things I read, it's the fanbase/community being RETARDED.

Go figure.
Pretty much, plus the PR disaster of the New Year if this keeps up.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #791 on: December 19, 2013, 10:06:20 PM

"lol!"

Exactly what my response would have been.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #792 on: December 19, 2013, 10:09:01 PM
Heatman's response is just fine. it's more hers that's off.

I figure i should drop these here too. A guy on /v/ \ /vg/ made these during the whole ordeal from screenshots and recountings of stuff, (theres a pretty steady stream of screenshots of just about everything) and when they were posted on the community, they were deleted for "showing violence against community members.

MIND YOU, this was AFTER a mod came in, and basically ok'd the thread, saying he thought they were amazing and very creative, despite not agreeing with the depictions of the events. And that's despite the fact that he appears in them as one of the "enemies".

http://s28.postimg.org/bxz330325/part_1.gif

http://s28.postimg.org/yy5qfc0vv/Part_2.gif

http://s28.postimg.org/6b2q5j0jf/Part_3.gif

http://s28.postimg.org/yp85peo3f/Part_epilogue.gif

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #793 on: December 19, 2013, 10:12:43 PM
Heatman's response is just fine. it's more hers that's off.

No, her response is fine too.

Offline Mary_Nelson

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #794 on: December 19, 2013, 10:59:35 PM
When she began her new job she was immediately greeted by people saying she was somehow going to change Beck's gender, sabotage the game, redesign everything, that she had lied about ever even playing a Mega Man game and so on. All false. To be fair, many of us directing these accusations at her had no reason to believe they were untrue. There were people out there trying to trick us, and they were good at it. Lots of fans got worried by old tweets and message board comments taken out of context. And that made a lot of fans very angry at her for things we thought she did and was doing, things that weren't true.

And people keep pushing her about that nonsense, on a completely terrible board where it's very hard to find replies, and where it's not even possible to do simple things like pin a thread or merge threads or send PMs. And people started photoshopping images to trick people into thinking that the game was losing backers that had pledged  thousands of dollars. Claims we were later told were false.

And because it's so hard to find replies on that board, and because people were asking the same questions over and over, and because they're not able to merge threads, threads started getting locked with people asked to go look and post in the threads where there were already answers. And people made threads saying how unfair that was, which also got locked because they made it even harder for people to get their answers. And yes, she did eventually start making genuine missteps in the face of an onslaught of hate that had started over things she didn't even do.

And now we're here a few days later with people saying the problem isn't any of the stuff she was accused of just a few days ago.  No, the problem is how she responded to a witch hunt while stuck with a crap board and barely any mod tools.

And I'm starting to feel like very few of us are bothering to be angry with the people that tricked us into thinking she was a threat to the game in the first place. The people that manipulated old tweets, that photoshopped claims that the game was losing backers that had pledged thousands of dollars each, the people that spammed threads elsewhere telling everyone about the woman that wanted to redesign Beck to be a girl and was going to ruin the game.

And I'm a little annoyed about that.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #795 on: December 19, 2013, 11:14:21 PM

there's a community member who undertook the gargantuan task of going through every thread on this matter and compiling a list of questions and answers.

not every issue is addressed mind you, but it's an amazing thing to have nontheless.

http://s15.postimg.org/4wp8kq4oq/unofficial_compilation.jpg

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #796 on: December 19, 2013, 11:35:30 PM
The more astounding thing is I thought the Call vote was supposed to come up today.

And its not up. Maybe the bickering soured everybody so they said [tornado fang] it and didn't put it up?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #797 on: December 19, 2013, 11:36:34 PM
I doubt it, they might have said something.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #798 on: December 19, 2013, 11:59:37 PM
This whole thing is stupid. The whole lot.

Yeah, that's the extent of my input.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #799 on: December 20, 2013, 12:07:52 AM
This whole thing is stupid. The whole lot.

Yeah, that's the extent of my input.
Pretty much mine too, in a simplified way.