Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 259711

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #700 on: December 12, 2013, 01:37:32 PM
I hope I'm not the only one here who doesn't really give a crap who their community manager is, so long as the game gets made.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #701 on: December 12, 2013, 02:31:24 PM
Wow, I'm always hoping for female mains, for both new and old games (yes female Link I've been wanting for a long time x3)  I'm not sure what's wrong with that.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #702 on: December 12, 2013, 03:12:28 PM
Except the part where he calls anyone who doesn't see a huge problem here retards. That's a good way to make an argument, right? (Not aimed at you Sakura, just in general)
Yeah that is true, but really at this point I wasn't expecting a good argument from that side at this point and felt he summarized that side of the argument the best compared to looking at the flame war on the forums.   

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #703 on: December 12, 2013, 04:08:48 PM
Wow, I'm always hoping for female mains, for both new and old games (yes female Link I've been wanting for a long time x3)  I'm not sure what's wrong with that.
Because that's just stupid wish-fulfillment fanfiction.

Though in the case of Mighty No. 9, since it's not Megaman... I wouldn't be opposed to a female main character.
By which I mean, it's not an already established character, so yeah.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #704 on: December 12, 2013, 04:19:20 PM
Tron nailed it on the head.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #705 on: December 12, 2013, 06:19:57 PM

I've said before that I always prefer to play as a female if the option exists (For example, Pokemon), but in some cases I really get why there's not a female character playable in every case because of stuff like legacy or story or whatnot (Of course there are exceptions to the rule like P3P where you have the option of playing as a girl instead, but in the end that was basically non-canon fan-service.)

Like Tron said, wish-fulfillment.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Call ends up as a fully playable character as like an unlockable or something.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #706 on: December 12, 2013, 06:50:10 PM
That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Call ends up as a fully playable character as like an unlockable or something.
If Call is unlockable in the main campaign I hope she's mainly a melee character because I always prefer using a prodominately melee character as opposed to a prodominately long-range character.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #707 on: December 12, 2013, 06:52:09 PM
See that's what I don't get. Why are people fighting for Beck to be female (or to include a female version of him) when they could be fighting for playable Call? To me, making the existing female companion to Beck playable seems to make a whole hell of a lot more sense than turning Beck female just because.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #708 on: December 12, 2013, 06:52:12 PM
If Call is unlockable in the main campaign I hope she's mainly a melee character because I always prefer using a prodominately melee character as opposed to a prodominately long-range character.

For some reason I'm basically the same way even though long range has its merits.

Anyway, Crisis Averted.

We can all go home now.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #709 on: December 12, 2013, 06:55:12 PM
See that's what I don't get. Why are people fighting for Beck to be female (or to include a female version of him) when they could be fighting for playable Call? To me, making the existing female companion to Beck playable seems to make a whole hell of a lot more sense than turning Beck female just because.
They think Call is too "girly" or something, at least that's what I saw from that Dina comment.

For some reason I'm basically the same way even though long range has its merits.

Anyway, Crisis Averted.

We can all go home now.
I can't see it because I'm not a part of the forum.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #710 on: December 12, 2013, 06:56:08 PM
And? Call's normal appearance needn't be how her battle attire looks.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #711 on: December 12, 2013, 06:56:57 PM
And? Call's normal appearance needn't be how her battle attire looks.
Yeah I don't get it either Mirb, I honestly don't.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #712 on: December 12, 2013, 06:57:08 PM
Hold on, I'll quote the important stuff.

Will the community manager be skewing things the way they would personally like to see the game? Will the community manager ignore views that don’t match with their own personal ideals? Will the community manager lose the community’s desires due to unfamiliarity with the type of game we are making? Will the community manager be creating their own robots and levels and programming, or changing the game in any way, from what the core creative team wants?! A lot of these or similar questions have been raised.

The good news is that the answer, in all cases, is no.

The job of the community manager is to act as a conduit between the community and the team – basically help keep the team filled in on what all of you are talking about, and help keep all of you filled in on what’s going on with the team internally. A community manager who filtered this process to further any personal agenda would not, by definition, be a community manager! :) and the fact that they were doing so would be immediately obvious to the team, who is plugged into the community in more ways than one.

When it comes to feedback, a Community Manager needs to be detached and impartial, and rest assured, Dina is and will be (in fact, one of the first bits of feedback she passed along were the concerns some had about how she would work in her new role, which is why I’m posting this here, today. :)

As far as affecting the game in other ways, rest assured all direction and decisions are still in the hands of all the same people they have been from the start. Everyone should know that choosing a community manager is not something the team took lightly -- all the key players at Comcept were involved in the selection and hiring process, all the way up to and including Inafune himself. We are supremely confident we made a great choice, as we think you will all agree as you get to know Dina and see her work.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #713 on: December 12, 2013, 07:01:09 PM
Yeah I don't get it either Mirb, I honestly don't.
Well it's obvious that logic isn't their strong suit, judging by how they overreacted to Dina's hiring and even started up a thread about refunds.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #714 on: December 12, 2013, 07:08:30 PM
Well it's obvious that logic isn't their strong suit, judging by how they overreacted to Dina's hiring and even started up a thread about refunds.
Yeah really it isn't, then again it's very easy to enrage a nerd and very hard to fully please a nerd.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #715 on: December 12, 2013, 08:16:27 PM
Has the girl in question acted out since this debacle exploded? If not, that might be a good sign of a cool head.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #716 on: December 12, 2013, 10:27:37 PM
Because that's just stupid wish-fulfillment fanfiction.

Though in the case of Mighty No. 9, since it's not Megaman... I wouldn't be opposed to a female main character.
By which I mean, it's not an already established character, so yeah.

Sure it might be a wish, but I don't think it's stupid (though I'll agree that I am), and I'm not sure what fanfiction has to do with it o.o  I'm not saying they should take an already existing canon character and change them (though I don't think I'd argue if they did).  Like in my example, there is like 70 billion different Links, so it would be fine.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #717 on: December 12, 2013, 10:39:46 PM
more like 11 different Links but still

Archer

Reply #718 on: December 12, 2013, 10:57:04 PM
The point is is that there's not reason for Link to be female other than because you want him to be. That's it.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #719 on: December 12, 2013, 10:59:12 PM
There is no point for him to be male though either o.o  Male shouldn't be the "default" option x3

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #720 on: December 12, 2013, 11:04:01 PM
There is no point for him to be male though either o.o  Male shouldn't be the "default" option x3

...wouldn't it make more sense to promote Zelda herself, or possible other female leads, rather than just Rule 63ing Link?

This just goes right back to the point of how we should be pushing for Call to be playable, rather than just going for the gender swap.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #721 on: December 12, 2013, 11:07:25 PM
Yeah but see I don't get that x3  Sure I would love Zelda or Call to be a full playable character but that's jus making a compromise.  I like compromises, I really hate fighting, but I really jus don't see why people would get mad over the MC being female, especially in these cases.  It's not a big deal ^^;

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #722 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:31 PM
People are scared of change. That's about it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #723 on: December 12, 2013, 11:32:58 PM
I've been pushing for Playable Zelda for a long time. Some mofo's need light arrows up their ass! XD

Archer

Reply #724 on: December 12, 2013, 11:38:33 PM
I've been pushing for Playable Zelda for a long time.

The CD-i Zelda games were already a thing.