AquaTeamV3 · 5274

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
on: September 02, 2013, 02:48:20 AM
So I just started playing through MMPU yesterday, and the game is really good in my eyes.  Excellent presentation, multiple playable characters to mess with, a challenge  mode that helps you learn the fundamentals of Megaman play; it's just an all-around great game.  There are a few issues like the multiple characters getting repetitive or the lack of the ability to use your buster with a weapon equipped a la MHX, but overall I find it very impressive and I feel that it, like Megaman 8, was a step in the right direction for moving Classic Megaman along.  That said, I'm surprised that people don't talk about it more often.  Was the game widely accepted as being good/bad or did it just fly under the radar?

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:50:21 AM
I say it flew under the radar because back then the PSP did really horrible.  I guarantee that if they did something like that on the DS it would have sold much better, but the way the game was it had to be on the PSP.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:53:58 AM
We used to talk about it a lot, and even shared levels with each other. Years later, the talk has slowly faded, but people still make youtube videos about it.

I guess people weren't so fond of the art design (the super deformed appearance) of the game, but I loved it!

I had fun playing through the game, and even pieced together the Challenge mode guide on RPM, and made sure to keep backups of official-released levels if something would happen to the servers in the future.

I also enjoyed ripping out the voice samples from both the US and JP versions of the game (I have a zip archived with all of them somewhere), and the cutscenes between each robot master and their siblings is a cute treat too. ^^

Also the PLAYABLE ROLL and PLAYABLE BLUES~ :cookie: Roll's cute DLC outfits were my favorites~ >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:03:30 AM
It gave me Overpowered Playable Blues.

IT WINS!  8)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:04:12 AM
And that sexy Blues voice.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 03:08:38 AM
Game's pretty fun, I do like having Protoman and Roll available to play as. Especially Roll, since I like to play as girls and all that.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 03:09:41 AM
If I had the game I would have loved to play as Roll since I do better with whacking people with a stick than shooting a gun.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 03:10:25 AM
You've got a computer, right?

Just acquire it that way, PPSSPP runs really good.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 03:11:41 AM
I'll think about it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 03:13:35 AM
And that sexy Blues voice.

It is pretty damn sexy, yes!  8)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 03:14:40 AM
And Elec Man, Time Man, and Ice Man just have such adorable personalities.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 03:20:37 AM
I think what also turned people away was the cutesy graphics and sounds. Even though Mega Man was always a kiddy brand, this one was apparently too far for some. Not me though, I don't care what it looks like so long as it plays good. And it does. It feels just like any other Mega Man game. Then the extra characters just add on top of it. Not all of them are particularly fun to use, but those that are are real fun.

Makes me lament the loss of Mega Man Universe. Cause if that was gonna basically be Powered Up 2, it would've been great if people had given it time to fix the bugs. If only for the level creator. Cause while PU's is a good start, it is limited by the PSP.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 03:51:46 AM
I say it flew under the radar because back then the PSP did really horrible.  I guarantee that if they did something like that on the DS it would have sold much better, but the way the game was it had to be on the PSP.

Yeah, I had to finally just go with the emulation route in order to try the game.  It would make sense for them to release a downloadable form of the game on PS3's PSN or something, but they never did that.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 05:09:48 AM
I love it! Lots of replayability thanks to the playable Robot Masters. The new stages can be really hard too (Elec... grrr) and interactive. Chibi style doesn't bother me.

I think I was halfway through beating Hard difficulty with all characters. Guts Man playthrough was a pain in the ass. Then my PSP decided to turn the d-pad into a 3-pad. :( Left direction doesn't work anymore and I'm always too lazy to fix it...

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:51 AM
It was a great game.  But, for me, it wasn't perfect.

- The multiple players got kinda repetitive.  And I wish it had more variety to the endings.
- The art style went too far in the kiddie direction.  I don't think it helped the franchise as a whole, but that' me.
- I wish it wasn't a MM1 remake, but a whole new game with new bosses and levels.  I like a good remake as much as the next guy, but there's something to be said for breaking new ground.  The MM series, as a whole, tends to take change in tiny baby steps and, unfortunately, this is an example of that.  This comment can be applied to Universe as well; I like MM2 but I want to see things progress.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 06:57:28 AM
It was fun, I really enjoyed that game. I pretty much 100% that thing (the hardest being playing as Oilman... stupid Fireman's stage).

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 03:34:25 AM
For me, Powered Up was a lot of great ideas but very badly presented.  An arguably strong game made for a poor remake due to the radically altered character-to-screen-size ratio that left the game handling more like a GB title than an NES title.  You'd think the "Classic mode" would be its saving grace, but that sadly isn't just Classic level design: It strips out all new features save visuals (and honestly, if you're not even including the new soundtrack, then why the hell wouldn't you just insert the NES rom and be done with it?).  The game is also the textbook definition of poor difficulty balancing.  There is a TREMENDOUS difficulty spike between Easy fortress levels and Normal fortress levels.  The earlier pits you against enemies that barely put up a fight while the latter is the single most ball-breaking challenge to exist in all the franchise if your player is not named Proto Man.  Fighting Yellow Devil in the game's claustrophobic screen size is bad enough, but 9 boss battles with no recovery is flat-out uncalled for.

More minor complaints include the boss weakness remixing, which I feel was a cheap and unnecessary curve ball.  Again, this is a remake, not a World or Xtreme game.  It's not borrowing from anything but MM1, why shouldn't MM1's weapons maintain their original strengths?  And the art style shift was a radically extreme exaggeration of an old memory.  Nobody honestly believes that's what Mega Man was supposed to originally look like.  At best it's an amusing distraction before we return to our traditional views of the characters, and at worst it risks alienating the existing customers.  Whoever thought Universe was a good way to "westernize" Mega Man really missed the lesson here.

Of course, being a bad remake doesn't necessarily make it a bad game, insane difficulty spikes and all.  I loved the idea of a level creator and playable robot masters, with Proto Man and Roll joining in as well.  But despite its potential, the end result of Powered Up was a considerably weak attempt at "modernizing" Mega Man that wound up competing with its original rather than complimenting it.  Quite frankly, the fact that Inafune claims to not know why this game didn't sell worries me.  Of course, the PSP's status at the time probably didn't help matters, and neither so did Capcom's uncharacteristically iron-grip attitude towards a hacked save file in the aftermath of the game's release.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:46:00 AM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 03:40:37 AM
I honestly believe if the game hadn't been released on the PSP, and maybe if the artstyle wasn't so... different (I like it honestly, but I get why its not too well liked.) it would have been more successful, it did a lot of interesting things and a few stupid things, but its all in all not really a bad game.

I'll say the Yellow Devil fight is bullshit though, mainly because it takes eons for him to reform, he doesn't take much damage from anything, and those stupid [tornado fang]ing vortexes prevent me from having enough time to determine his pattern, so I get beat up and die before I give him any damage at all.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 01:44:12 AM
Personally, it's one of my favorite classic games. Sure it had its fair share of problems, but what it does well, it does extremely great. Easily the best part for me was the stage designer: loads of replayability and flexibility in what you could do. Having every boss playable with unique gameplay styles (walljumping Cut Man, block building Guts Man, heat on/off Fire Man, etc.) made for loooots of interesting ways you can design stages. I've made stages specifically around those abilities. I once made a stage where a path was made specifically towards glitching with Guts Man and going through walls and spikes. I once downloaded a stage where, by pressing nothing, the stage plays itself ala Breakfast/Rube Goldberg machine.

While I personally wasn't very excited for Mega Man Universe (it just felt...off), it's a shame Powered Up hasn't seen a successor.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!