Is anyone kind of getting tired of 8-bit Rockman fan games?

Irregular Ass-R-Us · 5081

Offline Irregular Ass-R-Us

• Dedicated Pompous Gimpy Douchebag With A Burning Passion! (◥▶◀◤).
  • Robot Master
  • Ultra Super Godly Royal [Top Spin]. (◥▶◀◤)
    • View Profile
Hi guys. Today i saw some Rockman fan games like:
*Rockman Unlimited.
*Rockman Forever.
*Rockman 7 FC.
*Rockman 3D (Although the sprites are 8-bit).
*Rockman Multiplayer.
*Rockman 8 FC.
*Rockman Perfect Harmony.
*Rockman Revolution.
*Rockman Triple Threat.
*Rockman Rocks.
*Rockman DASH 2D.

I have noticed that all but one of these fan games are just the same, but with different skins.
No offense to people who like the 8-bit fan games, but i dont find it really exciting since its been done about 26 Years ago. Dont get me wrong because i love the 8 bit games and still play them to this day ( Maybe i didnt like 10 as much ) but seing a lot of people just doing the same 8-bit graphics and gameplay is just getting kind of old for me since i can just go and play Rockman 1,2,3,4,5,6,9,10 ( 10 was okay). But when its a fan game i would like it to be something different like Rockman Triple Threat. But i will say Rockman unlimited was pretty cool and well made so i wont say that all of them bore me.

Anyway i would like to hear what you guys think on fan 8-bit games.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:38:23 PM
Take a good long look in "Super What are you thinking now", Megaman Eternal, and probably a few other threads for general opinions about 8-bit fangames.

You'll find your answer.

Why is this in the DASH subforum?

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:42:45 PM
Oh crap i forgot i was on the dash forum. How do i close this topic.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:43:49 PM
Just ask a mod to move it.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:30:53 PM
It's true that these sorts of games are everywhere and most people, including myself, are quite tired of it.  Unfortunately the thing is that no matter the game it takes a lot of time and effort to design regardless.  It's good to start with a simple game and work their way up to start off so they can get the hang of it, but at the same time we don't care about the effort put into it, we care about the results and to us the results aren't good.

There's another thing that I noticed when I went to the Fan Game forum once that I really didn't like, a few people said that they wanted to revive the series with fan games.  They want to imitate the Classic series as close as possible but that's exactly why Capcom screwed Megaman up, they try the same things over and over and expect good results when it's doomed to fail. 

So that's my thoughts on it.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:57 PM
Sakura nailed it pretty much with the imitation things.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 11:36:30 PM
I felt I could have said it better, my thoughts are a little disorganized. -u-'

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:43:44 PM
im personally a romhack guy myself, as opposed to "fan games".

I dont like fan games that much cause of many reasons. Sometimes people dont have a "customize controls" feature. And some fangames i've tried out years out, i quit and deleted them immediately just for that reason..like jump and shoot would be backwards..or some other dumb setup.

I dont like games that force full-screen on ya. I perfer playing window'ed mode. I know everyone will probably disagree with me. sorry, no offense.

I have other reasons but i'll stop talking.

I like romhacks better. as far as the japanese community is, megaman romhacking is far more active than anything-english. There's always new romhacks being made every few months today still since the late 1990's/early 2000's.

http://rockman2ips.tripod.com/hacklist.html - the earliest one dates back to 1996 according to this page, it's in the megaman 3 section

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:46:58 PM
Yeah rom hacks are a little better because they try to change things instead of making the same bland thing, though sometimes rom hacks can be worse if it's impossibly difficult for no reason.

I know Proton Jon back when he did Mario Rom Hacks hated invisible coin blocks with a passion because they added fake difficultly.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 01:11:41 AM
Mega Man fan game makers need to be more original. I understand the pain of Capcom screwing everybody over with Legends 3 and Universe, but with fan game developers pushing out more Mega Man themselves it's like same old Capcom beating a decaying dead horse again. (I'm looking at you Ultra Street Fighter IV.) I mean would it hurt to take the Mega Man formula and come up with something different other than playing as Rock and shooting up stuff?

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 02:13:59 AM
I stongly agree with you guys and i do agree that Rom hacks are better than fan games. I do also understand that game design and programming isn't easy at all since i myself am making an engine (which i will release soon).

The thing is people need to take risks, its better for them to create a simple game and study it and then make a more complex game due to previous knowledge as opposed to releasing a simple game that has been already done.

I know its off topic but i am making a 32 bit style Rockman X engine which isn't easy at all but i always try my best and get the best results. I think sometimes some game devs (not all) take the easiest route. Which is understandable, but they need to be more ambitious and make their own games instead of copying Capcom which we all know is screwed at the moment.

Sorry if i am going off topic, i think i will make a different thread for this. But i may just say that i am going to add exploration to my game and add more freedom with what you do. I also think i will put in story choices which can make the main character Evil-Neutral-Good and have multiple endings. Also i may add stuff like multiplayer. Anyway back on topic, I pretty much strongly agree with what you all said, i am glad i am not the only who feels this.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 08:23:43 PM
It would be nice to see something other than a Megaman 2 clone. I mean we already have like 50 ROM hacks of the game. Half of those are beyond terrible though.

But Megaman 2 was the best game of the series and they say imitation is a form of flattery. But how about we flatter some of the other games now?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 08:55:53 PM
I have noticed that all but one of these fan games are just the same, but with different skins.
but seding a lot of people just doing the same 8-bit graphics

Which one is it? Is the skin different, or always the same? Do you want new gameplay with the classic graphics, or the classic gameplay with new graphics? I understand you might want the best of both worlds, but not all devs would be capable of such a feat.

I dont like fan games that much cause of many reasons. Sometimes people dont have a "customize controls" feature. And some fangames i've tried out years out, i quit and deleted them immediately just for that reason..like jump and shoot would be backwards..or some other dumb setup.

I dont like games that force full-screen on ya. I perfer playing window'ed mode. I know everyone will probably disagree with me. sorry, no offense.

I have other reasons but i'll stop talking.

This is not an issue with "fangames" in general, but rather a product of shoddy development. Your romhacks would not have those features either, if not for the emulator used.

But how about we flatter some of the other games now?

The recent explosion of completed fangames have flattered different titles than MM2:

Revolution (W5)
Unlimited (3)
Rock Force (4+)

None have flattered 7 or 8, though, so I'll concede on that point.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 10:09:51 PM
I would say the best of both worlds as you have said. The developers could get a classic engine they already made, tweak it so its different and new features. 16 bit would be nice. But i do know its hard for people who aren't good at spriting to make sprites. But they should try. I used to make awful sprites and 3d models but now i can do 32-bit sprites a lot better as well as 3d models.