The MM3 RMs: Light/Wily made?

Robert Oakes · 6701

Offline Robert Oakes

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
on: March 26, 2012, 02:22:02 PM
Hi, folks.

I need to verify this information. I've seen varied accounts that the MM3 Robot Masters were a joint effort between Dr. Light and Dr. Wily. However, I need at least one official source that confirms this (and quotes, if it isn't too much to ask). I know that Shadow Man is seemingly an alien robot remodeled by Dr. Wily, but that's it. In Mega Man Gigamix, Dr. Light and Dr. Wily only worked together on Gamma, with Dr. Wily creating the eight robots on his own, but since Ariga's series isn't game canon...

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:06:27 PM
The story of Megaman 3 starts that Wily claims that he's turned over a new leaf and him and Light begin working on Gamma.[http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_3] I'm guessing that they also built the 8 robot masters together as well.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:57:34 PM
He asks for verification on game info and gets a link to the Mega Man wiki, the number 1 source of [citation needed].

Don't use the MMKB. And it really has no info we didn't already know anyway. Rather- It doesnt have any sources on the Wily/Light thing with the RM's.

I'd actually like some info on that myself. Im of the mind that they were Wily/Light designed, but possibly predominantly Wily.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:08:40 PM
Mega Man Network makes mention of Dr. Right producing the Gemini Laser, as did Auto's Rockman Robot Centre back in the day. Ariga's Mega Mix atrributes Gemini Laser to Wily.

We also have this excerpt from an old post by Marshmallow Man:

That Right and Wily built the R3 robots together I did find a few sources for, the Rockman 3 Kanzen Kouryaku Technique Book on page 75 mentions it along with a hint that something was amiss, probably just to avoid the spoiler yet that Wily betrayed the partnership. Also, the Rockman 10 Years History Book (1998), a sourcebook written by none other than Hitoshi Ariga, says this on page 89:

「ロックマン3」に登場するナンバーズは、ライト博士とDr.ワイリーが共同で開発したということになっているので、厳密にいえば、型式番号は「D.R.&W.N.」とするのが正しいのかもしれない。

Because the Numbers appearing in "Rockman 3" were developed cooperatively by Dr. Right and Dr. Wily, it would probably be more correct, strictly speaking, to call their model number "Dr. Right and Wily Numbers."

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:59:51 AM
In Mega Man Gigamix, Dr. Light and Dr. Wily only worked together on Gamma, with Dr. Wily creating the eight robots on his own, but since Ariga's series isn't game canon...
Plus if you go off of his Megamix explanation, Wily built them all and volunteered them to be sent into space to harvest the energy sources to finish construction on Gamma. They were all registered with the WRA, and shouldn't have really been a surprise to Light. 'Course Ariga developed his Gigamix story as time went on, but that's a contradiction in his own tales, too.

I can confirm Marshmallow's citation with a scan if you would like it, but I will tell you for sure that text is indeed on page 89.

Just glanced through Rockman Memories/Perfect Memories to see if there was anything similar, but I don't see the [D.R.&W.N.] notation anywhere in there.

And at least as a visual concept, you do have the RW logo on R20/MMOCW's page 21 that at least proves they were thinking about making it widely known in the game:

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Robert Oakes

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:31:33 PM
I can confirm Marshmallow's citation with a scan if you would like it, but I will tell you for sure that text is indeed on page 89.

By all means, please do. I have no reason to doubt it, especially because #20 of The Reploid Research Lavatory also confirmed it via e-mail, but we can never have enough material supporting these obscure details.

While we're at it, does the book have any other information currently unavailable in western sources?

And at least as a visual concept, you do have the RW logo on R20/MMOCW's page 21 that at least proves they were thinking about making it widely known in the game:

The symbol is also present in the background of Magnet Man's stage, on what looked like giant batteries. It takes a good look to notice them, though.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 10:48:41 PM
After taking a quick look at VGMaps, I did notice those batteries. They don't really show up until the second half of the stage. though, and can be seen in the yoku block section.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:06:11 AM
After taking a quick look at VGMaps, I did notice those batteries. They don't really show up until the second half of the stage. though, and can be seen in the yoku block section.

You were not the only one, I noticed it actually during a run of the game. It's tricky to spot them, yes. But it's intresting to see how much effort goes into making a logo. Intrestingly enough, I think it was removed in the western release due to Right's american name being Light.. Unless I'm missing something here.

And I think Wily betrayed Light as to see how HE felt being betrayed, like Wily did when Light "got all the glory" and Wily got nada in the first game. Though, it would've been intresting if it had role reversal involved and Dr. Light went mad instead after Wily supposedly turned over a new leaf.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:04:31 AM
Just played through Magnet Man's stage in the western release. The logo's still there.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 06:33:18 AM
Man, I actually completely forgot about that being in Magnet's stage.  -AC

I wish I could tell you if there are more hidden gems, but alas, not being able to read Japanese, I don't know what else really is in there that would blow your mind. In general, each game just has a short page, Ariga had those special comics, weapons and main characters all got a good blurb->paragraph or so. There is something resembling an interview with Inafune, Ariga, Iwamoto and Ikehara that goes for 7 pages. And then the enemy pages which you see in this scan. That's the gist of the book.

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
    • Super Justin: The Blog
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 06:24:00 AM
For myself, I always considered the MM3 Robot Masters to be made by Wily alone, though (IMO) Dr. Light may had contributed something to the Masters before they began their chaos. Further in how I believe Wily made the Masters with no one else helping could be linked back to Super Adventure Rockman, with how the MM1 Masters were on Rockman's side since they were Light's robots prior to reprograming, while the second and third games' Masters were opponents due to being all Wily's creations.