Mega Man Starbound - Galaxy's Champion

Yoku Man · 187520

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
on: February 29, 2012, 03:48:30 AM
Here is my proposal for my upcoming fangame project. - StarsimsUniverse.

The Inspiration.

What was the inspiration? The amazing, game changing Mega Man V for Gameboy! A totally new approach to a Mega Man game; no robot masters, a new and dangerous threat from outerspace, a tougher game, a special "Super Gameboy" pallete that made it stand out from the previous games and a totally new and original soundtrack that kicked ass! The story was alot darker too and the stakes were higher, you finally felt as if Mega Man had met his match.

Years later, I discovered there had been plans to re-release the Gameboy Mega Man games in a collection for the GBA. "Mega Man Mania" would have been a remastered collection with new GBA colour graphics and improved physics for all the games. All of the Gameboy games have become a sort of lost gem, totally under appreciated in video game history. Re-releasing them in the GBA Collection may have given them the recognition they finally deserved, but alas, the collection was cancelled, apparently due to losing the source code to the most important game in the collection: Mega Man V!

I dearly wanted to treat the fans to what they missed out on. A fangame engine that featured all the cool things promised in the "Mega Man Mania" Collection. An authentic Gameboy experience that featured the true platforming physics, feel and sounds of the original games... Not many fangames had tried to take the Gameboy approach yet, so I thought it'd be a unique project to try out. I also wanted to explore the cool storyline introduced in Mega Man V. What if not all the Stardroids were destroyed? Where did they come from? This was the beginning of my project to create a spiritual successor to Mega Man V...

But to begin with I'd need to make the engine, to make a sort of template game before I even attempted my sequel idea... Step right up NMario, my good friend!

The Template.

Mega Man World!

NMario was delighted to try out my vision. Using his old Multimedia Fusion 2 Engine as a guide, we began to remake a fangame from scratch using the Gameboy physics, gimmicks and rules as closely as we can.

I wanted this to be the most authentic engine for a fangame ever. I trully wanted MM World to feel like a Gameboy Mega Man game. It has the first four robot masters and it'll have 2 Wily castle stages, just like the original "Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge." But not only that, I wanted authentic Gameboy stereo music and the original Gameboy sound fx.

NMario then had the awesome idea of multiple pallete settings. What if we display it with GBA colours by default and also added the options to play in "Super Gameboy" and B/W "Gameboy" style? That was an awesome idea that would make this fangame project even more unique. Also adding the GBA border would help to sell the idea of it being GBA inspired. (Plus that would help with fans capturing their Lets Plays in widescreen format)

By having this template game of NMario's (with its own unique story and characters) we would have a practice game for what would later come down the line. With the game finished we could also then make it free for fans to use to make their own games, using "Mega Man World" as a starting point.

Creating Mega Man World is a logical first step. Not often do fangame makers focus on creating their engine first before making their desired fangame, they usually make their fangame from scratch developing the engine as they go.

For Mega Man World, I wanted to make use of existing materials from the old Mega Man games and simply recreate levels, this would help to sell the accuracy of the engine. If we make MM World right, then it would make "Mega Man Starbound" so much easier down the line, as most of the coding would all be complete (Plus the fans would have a free fangame engine for them to make their own games with as well!). All that would need doing was coming up with plot, new sprites, new sound fx and new gameboy style music.

The Pitch.

Because of the current development of "Mega Man World" my true fangame idea is still in the pre-production stages, with plot and concepts. As of now I have a lot of jumbled ideas mixed up in the my head regarding story, concepts, abilities, weapons and bosses, etc. So far there are only a few sketches and ideas from me and my fans from the various community forums. They too have contributed to the ongoing plot development and overall premise of the game.

Mega Man Starbound - Galaxy's Champion!

What I am proposing is a new type of fangame, done in the style of the unreleased Game Boy Advance "Mega Man Mania" Collection. The concept of the game will be very similar in style to Mega Man V (Rockman World 5) for Gameboy. It will include the physics, the fancy vibrant Gameboy Advance colour pallete, an all-new awesome original soundtrack (similar in style to its predecessor, Mega Man V), and an epic space saga storyline that could potentially span across multiple sequels and expand the Mega Man series and mythos into a whole new direction.

There will also be an expansion to the traditional gameplay elements, new gimmicks: such as collectable items, upgrades, roleplay elements, mazes, puzzles, interactive terrain, weather, gravity, and more.

Bosses.

• Arcturus (Guardian of the Bear)
  • Deneb ("Tail of the Hen" Possible bird)
  • Hydra (A many-headed Serpent)
  • Lupus (Hybrid creature, Half man, Half Lion or possible Dog or Wolf related)
  • Orion (A Hunter, perhaps a Bow Weilding Stardroid)
  • Polaris (The North Star) "The Dogs Tail"
  • Rigel ("Left foot" of Orion, Foot of the Great One, Conquerer, perhaps a female Stardroid, Terra's sister?)
  • Sirius ("Glowing, "Scorcher" Perhaps a fire based Dog Stardroid)
  • Vega ("Falling, "Landing" "The Alighting Vulture")

Character Designs.

Rigel.

Orion, Arkturus, Lupus and Sirius.

Enemies.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:58:05 PM by Yoku Man »

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:09:53 AM
Sounds awesome, man! :3

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:28:25 AM
My suggestions for robot masters and their weapons are as follows:
  • Marathon Man - Speed Blitz
  • Steel Man - Steel Cube
  • Wild Man - Wild Crescent
  • Celestial Man - Night Warp
  • Hawk Man - Air Seeker
  • Depth Man - Depth Charge
  • Sizzle Woman - Sizzle Bomb
  • Turtle Man - Hard Shell

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:55:31 AM
Quite honestly, I rather want the colors that were going to be used in MegaMan Mania for the GB Advance. I suggested to him we could do a color option thing. That way players can have the option to use GBA Colors, or Super GB Colors, or Black & White GB Colors. Maybe we could work on some sort of filter system like that was used on Super Mario CrossOver 2.0 :)

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:09:48 AM
Quite honestly, I rather want the colors that were going to be used in MegaMan Mania for the GB Advance. I suggested to him we could do a color option thing. That way players can have the option to use GBA Colors, or Super GB Colors, or Black & White GB Colors. Maybe we could work on some sort of filter system like that was used on Super Mario CrossOver 2.0 :)

Sounds cool. If its possible. Got any screenies of Mega Man Mania, to show some examples of how it'd look? Mega Man Mania was planning on using the same sized screen as the gameboy games, right? We wouldn't have to alter anything that would rid it of the Gameboy feel?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:30 AM

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:13:08 AM
http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=1718

check these
Yea, basically what is shown there. It would not effect the game play at all. You will still have the GB game size settings & everything. The only difference would be choosing to have colors, or no color setting. Cosmetics really help in game development as well as its own sound tracks. Take advantage of what you can do now, and don't limit yourself too much. :)

Offline Sebamkfan

• Chronologically Confused =P
  • Cyberelf
  • Spriter + Composer, epic pack
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 03:31:40 PM
I once had 2 ideas for stardroids, they were called "Iris" and "Ceres", but I'm not sure what you are going for!

Didn't they test this user before they released it?

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:15:29 PM
I've updated the first post with some new "Mega Mania" style Mega Man sprites. He looks cute with the blue outlines. :)

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:31:35 PM
I got an idea for the story! Listen to this:

In the year 20XX, the world was peaceful and quite, and rightly so. Mega Man had once again beat back the forces of evil, restoring peace to the world. Suddenly, the moon began to flash in different colors. The world knew that it was in danger again. In Light Labs Dr. Thomas Light was investigating this phenomena through his telescope and discovered something horrific. The Stardroids are back and stronger than ever before.

Dr. Light: Mega Man, it seems that the Stardroids are back in force. We thought them gone for good, but it seems that they have pull the proverbial wool over our eyes. They have begun attacking several space platforms already. We cannot allow them to gain a foothold on our solar system! Take Rush, Beat, and Tango with you and stop their nefarious deeds.

Mega Man: You got it, Dr. Light. Rush, Beat, Tango, let's go!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:54 PM
why is the megaman mania color style so appealing? I prefer it over the NES coloring. dunno why.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:18:44 PM
why is the megaman mania color style so appealing? I prefer it over the NES coloring. dunno why.

Yeh I love the colour style too. Its almost cuter in a way.

Anyway, here is another mock up of how a cutscene could look in the fangame.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:36:02 PM by Yoku Man »

Offline RockEsper

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 11:52:42 PM
Lookin' good, lookin' good.

If I may make a suggestion. I feel this would be the perfect opportunity to actually make Tango more prominent. Maybe he could have some assists besides dishing out damage.

To expand on this, maybe Rush and Tango could both have two assists, and both of Rush's work off of his own single gauge, while Tango's work off of his own? This is a bit wilder than what I just suggested above, so I get if this would be overlooked. It is a bit complicated. Think it's a pretty nifty idea though.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 03:50:01 PM
 I think I adore thee good sir.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 05:51:20 PM
Thank you all for your support and kind words so far. I aim to please and I am eager to try this style. Its never been attempted before and I hope it'll stand out as memorable. This artistic style will make it a unique fangame, similar in vain as to how The Zelda games nowadays always try to change their visual style with each passing game.

Here's a few more experimental mockups of some cutscenes. I really wanna have as many cutscenes as is possible in this game. I love it when we see more close up footage of the Blue Bomber. He does look hellava cute in these shots from MMIV.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:41:41 PM by Yoku Man »

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 07:19:46 PM
One question, though: Is Mega Mania the final color scheme for this project?

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 10:37:18 PM
Looking good so far.  I agree with blue outlines for Mega Man. 

As for ideas, I think about the word mania.  To me it means "a alot of something', what can this game have a lot of.  I'm thinking, add Robot Masters to every level, to act as mid-bosses.  Perhaps the same thing for the final levels.

Examples:
mid boss= Napalm Man
main boss= Mars Man

mid boss= Bubble Man
main boss= Neptune Man

Also, I have always wanted in a game.  While riding on Rush Jet, Mega Man in a Tango suit, using slash attacks of any close range enemies.

It makes sense to me to have Duo in this game.

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline RockEsper

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 01:28:03 AM
Here's a suggestion that some may view as "out there". Some may view as ridiculous. Some may view as blasphemy.

What if....

...there were more than eight primary robot masters...?

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 05:06:32 AM
One question, though: Is Mega Mania the final color scheme for this project?

Maybe. Depends on if NMario is able to include an option for multiple colour schemes. Such as Classic Gameboy or Super Gameboy colours.

Nice ideas guys, remember to keep them coming, the input is welcome while I piece together everything in my head regarding story and concept. Later I'll be posting a little list of game references that I think will relate to this fangame. It'll also be ncie to have this list in one place so I can reference it easily when designing the plot and so forth.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 05:31:59 AM
As a follow up to my own post, I have a better idea...

mid-boss = main boss
Solar Man = Mercury Man
Star Man = Jupiter Man
Gravity Man = Neptune Man
Gemini Man = Pluto Man
Centaur Man = Uranus Man
Astro Man = Mars Man
Galaxy Man = Venus Man
Ring Man = Saturn Man

Get the rest of the Space theme robots in there. 

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 05:33:09 AM
Maybe. Depends on if NMario is able to include an option for multiple colour schemes. Such as Classic Gameboy or Super Gameboy colours.

Nice ideas guys, remember to keep them coming, the input is welcome while I piece together everything in my head regarding story and concept. Later I'll be posting a little list of game references that I think will relate to this fangame. It'll also be ncie to have this list in one place so I can reference it easily when designing the plot and so forth.

Yea it's a possibility, just that I'm not 100% certain how I am going to tackle this though. But yea, the original plan is to have multiple color scheme option for players who want a variety. :-/

Also, I'm no C++ or C# programmer, so most of it's probably going to be done through Multimedia Fusion 2 if I am up for it. Although I original had my own ideas. But if StarsimsUniverse provides me with everything including resources of the robots/stardroids, stages, enemies, etc, than I can definitely be motivated to doing it. :)

One of the things I mentioned in my interview online is that if there's enough support from fans & motivation, I can make it work. :)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 07:44:40 PM
As a follow up to my own post, I have a better idea...

mid-boss = main boss
Solar Man = Mercury Man
Star Man = Jupiter Man
Gravity Man = Neptune Man
Gemini Man = Pluto Man
Centaur Man = Uranus Man
Astro Man = Mars Man
Galaxy Man = Venus Man
Ring Man = Saturn Man

Get the rest of the Space theme robots in there. 

Except that he's gonna use Stardroids again, not the classic RMs. He said this above.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 09:12:35 PM
Yes he did, the eight main bosses are the star droids.  The mid-bosses don't have to be robot masters directly, they could be Doc Bot fights.  I can already see Astro Doc Bot fight in my head.

In Mega Man 10, there were those, Museum Weapons for the first Fortress stage.  Is it possible for those things to become regular enemies for the stages.

I still feel that Duo is long overdue on being playable in 8-bit games.  One can only imagine how he would look, in a Gameboy Color setting?

-----------------edit-------------
I am sure, that someone has already thought of it.  But for Tango, Mega Man needs a suit from him.  The suit allows Mega Man to cling to walls, and bounce around the screen.  Close Range Slash attacks of course.  Rush of course, gives the power armor, granting some flight and the Mega Arm.

Since Mega Man could swim, MM8, perhaps in Neptune Mans level.  Didn't someone on these boards make swimming sprites of Mega Man, I remember  seeing them.

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 09:41:59 PM
If I may, I have one simple suggestion for StarSims, so I won't waste anyone's time for long.

Since you're set on using Stardroids again, how about using brand-new ones based on the constellations or even some of the planets' moons? That would easily make them as memorable as and distinct from the previous set in MMV. Using the same set as last time would be fairly redundant and lazy, even by GB standards, imo (and those games recycle RMs from the NES entries).

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05:35 PM
If I may, I have one simple suggestion for StarSims, so I won't waste anyone's time for long.

Since you're set on using Stardroids again, how about using brand-new ones based on the constellations or even some of the planets' moons? That would easily make them as memorable as and distinct from the previous set in MMV. Using the same set as last time would be fairly redundant and lazy, even by GB standards, imo (and those games recycle RMs from the NES entries).

That sounds like a good idea.

I mean, you could even use some of the dwarf planets for names.

Those being:
Ceres
Haumea
Makemake
Eris
Orcus
Quaoar
Sedna
Vesta

See? Eight dwarf planets (omitting Pluto because we already have a Pluto Stardroid and replacing it with Vesta which isn't officially a dwarf planet but is called a potential one)