Homebrew: Is it worth it?

Waifu · 9871

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: January 18, 2011, 10:49:28 PM
I really want to get teh hacked characters and stages for my Brawl game but consider the stuff that the softmod guide told me to do, I don't know if I want to. I got myself a SD card and I put in all the stuff that I need but I have 4.3U meaning I cannot use Bannerbomb and my only option is Smashstack. I don't know if I want to delete my files considering that my brother and my cousins play this game a lot and deleting certain characters is not an option. I want to get all the hacked characters but I don't know if I want to redo the whole game again to the characters and stages I deleted. Is Homebrew worth it? Can I install anything on 4.3U?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:13:56 PM
Uhh, what? You don't have to delete your save. Just your Custom Stages (That includes the Tutorial ones), You can keep your characters seeing as its softmodding and not a permanent overwrite. I have 4.3U as well and I just recently reinstalled my Homebrew Channel, so yeah, you can install stuff using 4.3U.

Hope that helped!

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:05:25 AM
It does.  :) Thanks that is fun news.  owob

Posted on: January 18, 2011, 09:23:18 PM
Double Post.

I don't get it I did everything right, I followed the Smash Stack instructions yet I cannot seem to get the program running. I deleted all my custom stages, I put the bootelf in the root of SD card but it doesn;t read anything. Did I do soemthing wrong? I am doing it right? How do I know if I am doing it right?

Edit: I also have Micro SD card with an adpater.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:45:55 PM
Did you get the HackMii Downloader?

If not, get that. Put the Bootelf in the root directory (i.e. the one you first see when you open the SD on your Computer)

Then you have to go to custom stages and the program should load to let you download BootMii and the Homebrew Channel to your Wii (Download both, Unless you don't have a GCN Controller, if you don't have one, don't install BootMii.)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:47:05 AM
There is a HAckMii downlader? Well, I better get on that.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 04:43:36 AM
I would recommend following the guide on GBAtemp.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Ekaje

• You worthless piece of scrap metal!
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 04:26:27 AM
It should also be said that unless you want the HBC channel deleted, you shouldn't normally update your Wii.

Also, once homebrew is installed, you can find apps on Wiibrew, or download them on your Wii using the Homebrew Browser.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 06:20:33 PM
I wonder if I should install homebrew considering the warranty thing?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 06:25:11 PM
If you do [tornado fang] up your wii somehow just be sure to remove the homebrew from your console before sending it in.

Unless you hardmod it, then you're [tornado fang]'d.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 12:54:24 AM
No good, Anarchy.  Even soft-mods leave "traces", and the use of Any Title Deleter to remove all the hidden crap doesn't change the fact that ATD itself still leaves its mark.  Nintendo will scan for that stuff and charge you extra fees for removing it (very nearly the value of a new console, and that was before the price-cuts).

That said, I believe the risk to be worth it.  I'm a fan of homebrew-emulation; as awesome as the VC is there are still plenty of great titles that it still lacks, and can be homebrew-emulated to perfection (Godzilla Monster of Monsters, Act Raiser 2, Star Fox, Star Fox 2, Yoshi's Island, MMX2, MMX3, and all manners of GameBoy stuff, just to name a few).  Even some classic arcade games like The Simpsons (unfortunately, MM2 Power Fighters doesn't work, and N64 emulation is still sketchy).  Plus, the insane sweetness that is Riivolution, allowing file-replacement hacks to work in conjunction with your original game discs.  You can have LOTS of fun with Brawl and NSMB that way.

If your Wii dies, you're not getting any save data/shop purchases back without a hefty fine.  That's the risk you take, period.  BootMii helps offset it in terms of your system's software getting corrupted (if you have an old enough Wii to install as boot2, that is), but in the event of a hardware failure you'll be SOL.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 04:42:50 PM
You know I a about to install homebrew but sounds almost to good to be true. I am almost afraid to do this due to the risks involved....I think I will wait until I go through with it. It just seems to good t be true, I am just steps away from installing it.

Posted on: May 30, 2011, 09:59:48
I had installed Homebrew but not I want to know what to do next. There is soemthing called Launch Bootmii, what do I do with this?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 05:18:27 PM
Somebody didn't read the Hackmii Installer's Readme, I see...

"BootMii" uses an exceedingly simple homebrew operating system (Mini) that pretty much allows complete control of the Wii console.  It can be installed either as an IOS (all Wii's) or as Boot2 (older Wii's only).  The HackMii installer installs BootMii as an IOS as part of its setup process; it is necessary to install the Homebrew Channel, but may be removed afterwards without affecting it (the HackMii installer will exit automatically if you uninstall BootMii as IOS, since it can't do anything without it).

"Launch BootMii" from the Homebrew Channel refers to BootMii as an IOS (BootMii as Boot2 launches whenever you turn on the console, before the system menu).  For practical purposes you don't really need it as an IOS.  BootMii allows backing up your Wii system, but it can't restore from those backups unless it's installed as Boot2.

For use of the Homebrew Channel, create a folder in your SD card called "apps".  Within the "apps" folder, there should be a separate folder for any program you want to run.  In every program's folder there MUST be a file titled either "boot.dol" or "boot.elf" (some people distribute their programs named something else; if so, change it, but keep the same file extension).  Start up the Homebrew Channel, insert your SD card, and your list of programs should appear.

WiiBrew would probably be the best place to start as far as finding some fun stuff to toy with.  Their product pages do a good job of informing you about anything that changes your Wii's NAND (that is, the system's storage), and warning you if they pose any risk of damage.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 04:02:32 AM
I have a question concerning brawl modding.

1. How is it done? I got the Homebrew broweser I have no idea how to load the stuff into the Brawl game.

2. Can you load melee models, movesets and characteristics into the game? If so, how?

3. Where do you download stages, characters and others into?

4. Hom w many stages can laod into the game?

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 04:25:55 AM
I have a question concerning brawl modding.

1. How is it done? I got the Homebrew broweser I have no idea how to load the stuff into the Brawl game.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7304207#post7304207
Or
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Riivolution

2. Can you load melee models, movesets and characteristics into the game? If so, how?
http://projectm.dantarion.com/

3. Where do you download stages, characters and others into?
See 1st answer. If you meant where to download stuff from, there's BrawlVault, but the site is currently down anyways.

4. Hom w many stages can laod into the game?
Normally they go over existing stages, but there's a code to extend the amount: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290659

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 04:33:19 PM
On #1, I'd go with the Riivolution method.  It's simpler, and it can apply to other games like NSMBWii.

http://projectm.dantarion.com/
Nothing that lacks Mewtwo has the right to call itself Melee's likeness.  Still, I applaud the effort.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 10:50:51 PM
And with getting programs for your homebrew channel, I'd reccommend getting the Homebrew Browser, as that download and extracts Homebrew straight to your Storage device.

Its really nice if you just want to get simple things like Emulators or Media Players or Games, though if you download Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or Quake from the Homebrew Browser be prepared to have the original game data on your PC or you're stuck with the Freeware Demo version.

And Riivolution is a miracle with Modding Brawl, keep in mind if you intend on changing the Character Select or Stage Select Screens you need to have Brawlbox (In order to patch the new files into the common5.pac file, just putting them where they tell you in the instructions crashes your game.:|)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:56 AM
I get how to put in XMLs but what does that have to do with stage, character mods and music files?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:40 AM
The XMLs are the "instructions" for Riivolution.  They tell Riivolution what game it should be looking for and what files of that game to replace (the "template" XMLs generally replace whatever files it finds for a given game).  Each XML file creates a separate option in Riivolution's menu that you can enable/disable before you start your game.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 04:23:23 PM
Softmodding, is it safe? I want to try it but the instructions on GBATemp kind of confuses me. Do I really need all those programs to install WAD manager? I want to brick my Wii but still I need more information to avoid any potential risks.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 05:00:10 PM
If you keep hesitating about it, then just... don't do it?

Either that, or...
[youtube]dEtm_Q2LK9g[/youtube]

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 08:53:39 PM
Still, I just want to make sure I don't break anything.

Also, What is the difference between BootMii and Boot2?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 09:43:09 PM
BootMii is the homebrew that's able to make backups of your flash memory and other important information. It installs itself on boot2 or IOS inside your system.

boot2 is basically the thing inside your Wii that starts up your system. It loads a specific IOS file depending on what instructions it gets and then your system starts. ^^;

The whole process begins with boot0, which sends you to boot1 and later sends you to boot2. With BootMii, you can gain control of boot2 so you can do many things, like remove the health message screen, directly load the homebrew channel without entering the Wii channel screen and so on. But the most important part of boot2 and bootmii is that you can make backups of your important data, just in case you accidentily break your system or lose valuable data, BootMii lets you install everything you used to have. It's very handy and installing BootMii as boot2 is the best thing you could possibly do. You can also transfer ALL your data (including Shopping Channel data) into another Wii system if your last system breaks, but you should do it on a system that's the same region as the last one, and you have to install BootMii on the other Wii too. You start BootMii by holding down the reset button while powering on the system. A Gamecube controller is recommended (but might not be necessary) to use the BootMii software.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 11:13:43 PM
I get it now. Thanks.  ;)