Author Topic: The "What are you currently playing?" Thread  (Read 398689 times)

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Re: The "What are you currently playing?" Thread
« Reply #5050 on: May 05, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »
Been replaying some short retro games while Dark Souls 3: The Fire Fades slowly makes its way here via jungle raft.

DuckTales -- I didn't know that medals were a thing in this game. Not only you get the best newspaper for collecting $10 million/all big treasures, you also score a gold medal for beating the game on Difficult. It's nice how much DT changes from any% to best ending. Suddenly the game is 5x bigger.

Super Mario Bros. 2 -- Wanted to do a playthrough as Toad only. Wasn't as hard as I thought, although some levels like 5-1 are kind of a pain without a more controllable jump. This game is really cool, I don't give it enough credit usually.

Mystical Fighter -- Pretty unremarkable Genesis beat-'em-up in general, so much that I... forgot how to play it. I got through the whole thing with just jump kicks and roll kicks and it felt super lame. Then I restarted to see if I was missing something and yep, totally forgot about the OP grab attack where you spin enemies and throw them. It's not the most intuitive move to discover on your own because you have to touch the enemy while holding the attack button. I think the manual teaches it, though, at least. Went through the game again and it was much faster (and better).

Thunder Force 3 -- Finished the hardest difficulty (Mania). Damn, this game is freaking awesome. Along with the first party Sega stuff and Treasure, this is the kind of game that makes the best use of the Genesis' speed and sound. The action is so fast and smooth. Mania wasn't as hard as I imagined but still pretty tough.

Gley Lancer -- Another shmup beaten on the hardest difficulty (also named Mania). Except this one was brutal. The bullets are so fast and so many, there were several parts I couldn't get through without constant pausing. It doesn't help that this is one of those shmups where you die and have to restart from a checkpoint. And the power-ups aren't quite as powerful as I remember, though maybe playing this right after TF3 had something to do with it. Why not give you a little shield at least...? The music is fantastic and the action is also lightning fast. I like TF3 better, though.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: May 05, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
Dark Souls 3 Co-oping

Momodora on the PS4 (a Dark Souls/Metroidvania type game)

and the occasional Palace of the Dead run in Final Fantasy 14 while I wait for Stormblood to release.  8D

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: May 05, 2017, 11:18:04 PM »
I did not know Momodora was on PS4.

Offline Spammy

• tiny princess shh
  • Legendary Hero
  • High Tier? More like Why Tier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: May 07, 2017, 01:26:03 AM »
NieR: Automata, which is one of the best JRPGs in the past 10 years.

I killed Midir in the DS3 DLC so I've moved onto NG+, but odds are I won't be playing it constantly.

Started raiding normals with my guild in WoW, probably going to run Heroic EN next week and see how that goes.

I love you almost as much as I love booty parades.

Online Scorched Cirno

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • Sun dried baka
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: May 09, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Went back to playing Dark Souls, even though the framerate sucks on my PC. Looked up on how to acquire the Great Scythe, and with a bit of trial 'n error, I got it.  XD

Fear me.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: May 15, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
Been playing Strafe.

it's enjoyable enough, but not without it's flaws
...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #5056 on: May 18, 2017, 03:19:07 AM »
My fiance and I are watching DBZ: Abridged so I'm playing Legacy of Goku 2.

Also DKC3 on stream and some Final Fantasy Record Keeper.
OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
If that counts as a hint then a truck crashing through your wall counts as subtle.