X7-X8 never happend?

kosmos · 34317

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: April 11, 2010, 07:26:25 AM
Actually...if ya reread that, the wording goes, "In finding this" before mention of Zero being sealed.  Usually for such wording, a good amount of time can pass by.  So it's not an entirely big mistake there.
Normal people wouldn't get that from the wording. Actually, im sure if all of that were worded much better, it would all make a heck of a lot more sense.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #76 on: April 11, 2010, 07:28:30 AM
Bag... there was no cataclysm. Inafune confirmed it. Keep this up and you might be INAFUNE PAUNCHED!

Anyone still got that pic?

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: April 11, 2010, 07:35:41 AM
Bag... there was no cataclysm. Inafune confirmed it. Keep this up and you might be INAFUNE PAUNCHED!

Anyone still got that pic?
Hes just doing it for the sake of arguing.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #78 on: April 11, 2010, 07:38:58 AM
Ugh... I hate arguing for the sake of arguing. It's stupid, redundant, annoying, stupid, and redundant.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #79 on: April 11, 2010, 08:33:13 AM
If you read the article, it doesn't say anything about retconning X7-8 and Command Mission, it just doesn't talk about them.  They weren't critical moments for Zero, so they weren't significant to the Zero series, they were just another chapter in the X series.

It took long enough to bash this rumor down the first time (back when that supposed retcon included X6 as well) and it doesn't need to be started again.  Considering that Capcom goes out of their way to reference as much of Megaman as possible including even Battle & Chase, I don't think they're going to go around removing things from the timeline.  Especially if they want any of the same talent working for them again.  It's a bad business move to attempt to undo someone's work.

AntiBunny

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: April 11, 2010, 08:46:30 AM
Yet they way they wrote this makes all of that seem just like what is being said. ESPECIALLY the sealing. they really make it sound, to any ol' joe, like the sealing happened right after X6 when the government "finds out he was the source as a carrier of the virus"

what that needs, is a proper rewriting.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: April 11, 2010, 08:55:03 AM
Starting to sound more and more like X6 Sealed Zero is going to wind up being Omega, but Zero copied himself to another body to help out afterwards.

Maybe. I dunno.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: April 11, 2010, 09:25:29 AM
Does this mean I can imagine I never played X7?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #83 on: April 11, 2010, 09:36:05 AM
'Fraid not, kiddo. This doesn't affect our memories, unfortunately.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:58 AM
Starting to sound more and more like X6 Sealed Zero is going to wind up being Omega, but Zero copied himself to another body to help out afterwards.

Maybe. I dunno.
X6 seal Zero is the first seal. Meaning, that Zero DID become Omega. Thats nothing new.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: April 11, 2010, 10:20:28 AM
I still find it funny that people are still surprised when Capcom/Inti shows that they're just making it up as they go along. They're trying to make it be more sensical, but are clearly doing quite the opposite.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: April 11, 2010, 02:09:28 PM
So it happened a little late...

Sorry, but an uncontrollable Zero can't be ordered to cause the cataclysm against a non-existent enemy.

Normal people wouldn't get that from the wording. Actually, im sure if all of that were worded much better, it would all make a heck of a lot more sense.
I still find it funny that people are still surprised when Capcom/Inti shows that they're just making it up as they go along. They're trying to make it be more sensical, but are clearly doing quite the opposite.

I honestly don't see how this all doesn't make sense. They solved all the big issues in the timeline with this summary.

what that needs, is a proper rewriting.

More like, it needs fans that don't try to disown games whenever they get the chance.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: April 11, 2010, 02:21:59 PM
More like, it needs fans that don't try to disown games whenever they get the chance.

Thank you Zan.  That needed to be said.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: April 11, 2010, 03:08:34 PM
But seriously, the way they write the part with the nightmare and Zero sealing, they make it sound like they are two consecutive events, one after the other. :\

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: April 11, 2010, 03:22:34 PM
But seriously, the way they write the part with the nightmare and Zero sealing, they make it sound like they are two consecutive events, one after the other.

They also wrote X was created immediately following Rockman8 or Rockman10. We know that ain't true. But it does get the point across of cause and effect. With Zero's sealing it simply means the Nightmare Incident was the reason for it. The sealing will happen whenever the truth about that incident is revealed to the world.

Besides, even IF Zero did seal himself away immediately following the Nightmare Incident, that does not stop the current story arc from making a major revelation about the Zero we're playing as. For all we know we've been playing as the copy for a while now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #90 on: April 11, 2010, 05:22:56 PM

In light of MMZOCW's timeline, that can only be true if said revelation explains where Weil and Cyber-Elves have been since X6, very hard to do given that the Elf Wars are supposed to be named for Cyber-Elf abuse yet unseen.  Furthermore, it's exceedingly bad storytelling to write in a 50 year disappearance that X7 does not acknowledge.

Also, though not impossible, it'd be inconvenient to reconcile such a thing with Omega's arsenal.  It would mean that Weil has a lot of copying to do himself over the course of Z3 (Buster Shot, chargeable Z-Saber), and by what rationale he'd be trying to imitate the "cheap fake" is anyone's guess.

Yet they way they wrote this makes all of that seem just like what is being said. ESPECIALLY the sealing. they really make it sound, to any ol' joe, like the sealing happened right after X6 when the government "finds out he was the source as a carrier of the virus"
Actually, the opposite is true.  That Zero is a carrier of the virus was not revealed in X6, therefore, the seal cannot immediately follow it.  X6 never revealed that Zero was a carrier, it revealed that Zero is exploitable.  That's two very different things, and that Zero is exploitable was already established both in X2 and, to a lesser degree, X5 (even if Zero never awakens, the Hunters do notice his viral reaction, X included).  It was not revealed to our heroes that the "piece of Zero" that Gate was working with had already contained viral data, or even Sigma's (which it did, as the sourcebooks tell us; it was key to Sigma's revival).  The Nightmare, as far as the Hunters were ever told, was a Zero derivative, and that's it.  Sigma Virus was not part of the equation, as far as they were aware.

What this says is that the Nightmare incident bears future discussion at some point in the X-series timeline.  It's that simple.  It's something X8 already did with X5's Zero Virus.  And it's not all that inconceivable with the current story arc, either.  Though Sigma is (allegedly) out of the picture, some New-Gens retain interest in Zero, as shown by Bamboo Pandamonium.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: April 11, 2010, 05:41:54 PM
To make that issue even shadier, they're emphasizing that X's capsule was opened before the 30 years.

And since every reploid was created off X as a template, they all have what I assume is the same "can decide to go Maverick" vulnerability.

Which is what I used to think was going through X's mind at the beginning of X7, back when it came out.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #92 on: April 11, 2010, 05:46:49 PM
Actually, X's capsule was opened considerably long after the 30 years were up.  X was born "2XX years ago".  Zero was born "1XX years ago".

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: April 11, 2010, 05:50:52 PM
In light of MMZOCW's timeline, that can only be true if said revelation explains where Weil and Cyber-Elves have been since X6, very hard to do given that the Elf Wars are supposed to be named for Cyber-Elf abuse yet unseen.

I was thinking XCM, rather than X7~8. In which a long uncertain time has passed and is thus more in jeopardy in relation to this summary. Sure, it takes MMOZCW's "Zero awakens in a copy body" statement very loosely, but I don't see why Zero can't be fighting in a new body whilst the studied on his original body continue to lead toward Cyber Elves, or this Zero being another copy without the original mind. Ideas like that are quite out there, yes I know. But it's something to keep in mind whenever subsequent X-series title write themselves into a corner that will once again bring forth this same discussion. For all people claiming Inti is supposedly retconning the X-series, the X-series retconning Inti isn't out of the question.

As for Dr. Vile. In a post sealing time, we'd have that question regardless. Given Dr. Vile's age at the time of Elf Wars, he could very well already be around. There simply isn't focus on the non-combatants. Just look at how little we even know of that one Repliroid that sealed Zero away. Perhaps these characters will finally be introduced through the New Generation plotline.

Actually, X's capsule was opened considerably long after the 30 years were up.  X was born "2XX years ago".  Zero was born "1XX years ago".

Not to mention the "approximately 100 years" in all X-series sources combined with "all indicators are green, it should be safe to open."

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #94 on: April 11, 2010, 06:11:14 PM
So basically, even though the website doesn't mention X7, X8, or Command Mission, you're saying that certain story elements from those three games are still vital to the continuity of the series as a whole. Right?

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: April 11, 2010, 06:24:27 PM
As long as they donĀ“t retcon or discard them, they will be part of the timeline. It was just somewhat cruel to not mention them.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #96 on: April 11, 2010, 06:25:57 PM
I suppose, as Inti saw it, they weren't as relevant to the rest of the series as we feel they should've been.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: April 11, 2010, 06:32:21 PM
I still say they could have worded it a bit better as to not make some people think theya re retconning them out. but thats just me, I have a very crazy english teacher.
Who only lets us write in one tense at a time. >.>;

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #98 on: April 11, 2010, 06:40:07 PM
Your crazy English teacher is not our problem.

Offline marshmallow man

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: April 12, 2010, 12:48:33 AM
Ciel / Character Voice by Rie Tanaka
She knew. The pain that lied in the hearts of repliroids. She knew. The thoughtless cruelty of the humans. Even though she was a scientist, her words did not reach Neo Arcadia, and the repliroids were disposed of day after day on unreasonable charges. To convey her message, she had to leave Neo Arcadia. Out there they lived their lives together without the roles of humans and repliroids, but simply as true friends. However, those days were not long to last. The screams of Neo Arcadia's gunfire pressed ever closer, in the name of a self-righteous justice. For the sake of everyone who believed in her, she had to take up arms. She was not experienced in the role of a leader. She researched ways for them to obtain the provisions they needed to survive.  But things seemed as a dark and infinite tunnel with no escape in sight. She asked an electronic elf, "Is there hope for us anywhere?" She felt the elf's whisper echo in her heart. She knew she must investigate the "historic ruins."

Actually, the opposite is true.  That Zero is a carrier of the virus was not revealed in X6, therefore, the seal cannot immediately follow it.

The Hunters knew Zero was infected with the Sigma Virus during X5, and at that same time they recognized that while he did not register a "Maverick reading" his power output grew in response. That itself was enough to lead Signas to believe Zero had the virus antibodies inside him, and that itself would be reason enough for the governing humans to want to have him decommissioned and dissected. We saw Signas order this information be kept secret, but some Lifesavers shared that info with X, and who knows who else. And that's all before Isoc announced to the entire world that some ghost of Zero was responsible for spreading the Nightmare virus. Already there was ample reason to want to have him studied, but the situation seemed all but forgotten when X7 came around. Perhaps the Hunters reasoned incorrectly that Zero wasn't really spreading the virus, or perhaps didn't have the manpower to spare him because of X's bout of pacifism to allow him to be sealed. But the X7 story didn't directly address the question of Zero's virus connection or the Hunters' understanding of it, so their government's official resolution to it all is unclear. So saying, a spit timeline theory might go that X7 goes down a path where the government didn't decide to have Zero sealed, while the Zero series follows one where they did.

I still say they could have worded it a bit better as to not make some people think theya re retconning them out.

The thing is, maybe they are. When we hear some of these new statements that just don't mesh or outright contradict with what we were told before an thought we knew, we try to twist the wording to make them fit with our current understanding. When RZOCW came out and MMN (or was it Heat Man?) translated the three keys, and things like the virus turning Zero good, everyone said there's no way that what was written there was what they could have meant, it must have been poorly worded, or poorly translated. But it wasn't--that was literally what Inti meant to convey, and it is conveyed here again.

So instead of just repeating that process of "that can't be what they really meant," and trying to find loopholes by which to hold on to our old conceptions as cataclysm fans have been doing for over a decade, I would rather acknowledge that maybe the wording sounds so much like Zero sealed himself after X6 because that is exactly what they are trying to say. The only thing that can settle this (or make things even more confusing) is for us to receive more information.

So basically, even though the website doesn't mention X7, X8, or Command Mission, you're saying that certain story elements from those three games are still vital to the continuity of the series as a whole. Right?

I don't think there's anything in either of those 3 games that would render the Zero or ZX series nonsensical with their absence from the timeline. Orbital elevators? They never said it was specifically one of the ones we were familiar with, nor is there any reason that orbital elevators can't still be built without happening the way it did in X8. Wily's built one already, for starters. Copy chip technology? Perhaps it was still invented, but Cyber Elf technology overshadowed it as a fad (no need to make virus resistant copy chips with Mother Elf around), or perhaps Albert himself invented it. Model A being based Axl? They never said it was. Albert could have designed it himself. Alternately, maybe Axl did still exist and Albert based a biometal on him, but his role in history was overshadowed by X and Zero's roles in the Elf Wars (perhaps why we've never heard his legend spoken of in the Z series on). There are ample possibilities.