Undiscovered SFC Megaman secret

ReyVGM · 11829

Offline ReyVGM

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: March 19, 2010, 09:02:08 PM
Hey guys.

As you might or might not know, up until a few months ago, it was assumed that Wily & Light no Rockboard didn't have an ending/credits sequence. I found a Japanese page with screenshots of the largely unknown credits sequence. And thinking that it might be a hoax, I started looking inside the rom and indeed, I found the text strings with the credits. With the help of a programming savvy person (ugetab), he found what the exact conditions were to get the elusive credits screen.

Fast forward to today, I got curious again, but this time with Megaman Soccer. Everyone says it doesn't have an ending, however, I peeked inside the rom and I found the credits too, just like with Rockboard.
Now all there's left to do is figure out the conditions to get the ending/credits.

In Rockboard you had to play in Battle Royale Mode, achieve a 70% property ownership... and then bankrupt all the opponents. Not an easy feat, specially if you don't know that's what you have to do.

In Megaman Soccer I was thinking that maybe one has to beat the Robot Masters in a certain order? Or beat Wily having an X amount of points over?

Anyone have any tips as to what crazy things one might have to do?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:55:20 PM
No idea, but that's a cool find. Also, welcome to RPM! Seeing as you know massive amounts of video game knowledge, (you run vgmuseum, right?) you'll fit right in!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:02:00 AM
Hm, didn't know that about Rockboard.  That's interesting.

Technically, the credits do exist in MMSoccer.  They're in the Hex data, so they are there.  You might be on to something.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:23:02 AM
Well I know I did a tiebreaker on Wily and didn't get the ending.

Maybe the last shot has to be Mega Man's special?

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:02:22 PM
Wow, didn't know people actually cared about RockBoard and Rock/Mega Soccer. LOL, j/k.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 03:44:05 AM
Technically, the credits do exist in MMSoccer.  They're in the Hex data, so they are there.
Just the text of the credits, or was a code sequence for displaying them confirmed?

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 04:58:08 AM
Just the text of the credits, or was a code sequence for displaying them confirmed?
The credits were found, but no display code as far as I know.

Of course that might be because nobody with the skill has taken an interest to make it happen.

Offline ReyVGM

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 07:47:30 AM
Well, bad news...
The same person that cracked the Rockboard credits took a look at MMSoccer and said that address for the credits is not referenced anywhere else in the code.
What I think that means is that nothing in the game triggers the credits, even though the ending music and credits are in the code.
He made a cheat to see the credits but all it does is reset the game to the title screen. Which is exactly what happens after you beat Wily. I always found it odd that you never got a congratulations or a score tally. Just, BAM, taken to the title screen.
My guess is that Capcom released an unfinished game, or maybe the trigger to get the ending was never programmed in.

http://gshi.org/vb/threads/4072-Ugetab-your-expertise-is-needed-again.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 06:08:33 PM
Maybe they just decided to take the ending out, and have you mindlessly play Soccer over and over again.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 08:53:24 PM
Well, that answers that.  Absolutely ZERO way to get the credits to show. 

Personally, I think RM Soccer is just unfinished.

Offline ReyVGM

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 02:47:41 AM
I thought the same thing. There's just no way a SNES game will go back to the title screen like that. It literally looks like it just resets back to the title screen. There's no score tally or fadeout.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 02:51:47 AM
I thought the same thing. There's just no way a SNES game will go back to the title screen like that. It literally looks like it just resets back to the title screen. There's no score tally or fadeout.
There's that.  And the fact that you can't play as Wily despite the fact that, using cheats, he's fully playable with his mugshot on the player's select screen (albeit obscured).  And data left over for a 4 player mode.

It seems like they just ran out of time and released what they had figuring it was close enough.  I wish it was easier to browse through the rom for lost sprites because there just might be a goldmine. 

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 12:25:21 AM
As Tips and Tricks described it once, it's not the best soccer game, or Mega Man game for that matter. I think the unfinished product is a definite possibility. Now if only they had DLC for the SNES; then it would've been finished!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
    • Super Justin: The Blog
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 02:29:30 AM
Personally, I think RM Soccer is just unfinished.
I agree.

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "To win is to lose, to lose is to win."
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 07:20:48 PM
On The Subject,i think i know my buddy who might have Found that Hard Man picture Gauntlet...

Into Darkness, into the Abyss. Where only anathema exists.
| https://twitter.com/BlazeMcPhearson |

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 07:25:31 PM
On The Subject,i think i know my buddy who might have Found that Hard Man picture Gauntlet...
Give it to me or post it right here any tme!  I'd love to see this rumor confirmed.  And how Hardman might actually have looked in the game.

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "To win is to lose, to lose is to win."
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 07:30:19 PM
Give it to me or post it right here any tme!  I'd love to see this rumor confirmed.  And how Hardman might actually have looked in the game.
Uh,there's a problem with that,My friend's been dead for about 5 Years,he told me about it 7 years ago,he said that Hard Man Looks like himself...and i think the picture he Shown me,was a entirely Different build of Soccer...and the sprite of Hard Man's looked like your version of Hard Man...only he was a Darker Navy Blue

Into Darkness, into the Abyss. Where only anathema exists.
| https://twitter.com/BlazeMcPhearson |

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:14:52 PM
Uh,there's a problem with that,My friend's been dead for about 5 Years,he told me about it 7 years ago,he said that Hard Man Looks like himself...and i think the picture he Shown me,was a entirely Different build of Soccer...and the sprite of Hard Man's looked like your version of Hard Man...only he was a Darker Navy Blue

You really should've mentioned that in your first post about MMSoccer-Hardman, man.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 05:34:13 AM
That's too bad.  Can you remember which magazine it was from at least?

The Hardman I made was actually a Wily Wars edit.  I mean ... it's the same guy so there's likely similarities, but Capcom's work had to have looked different.

Well, until it's confirmed with a scan I have no choice but to classify it as a rumor.  I happen to think it has a ring of truth to it, which is why it's mentioned, but still ... just a rumor.