The OVA's Discussion

Gatuca · 3810

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
on: February 21, 2010, 05:51:14 AM
now, i ve opened this topic to talk a little bit about the megaman OVA's, do you think they are a hit and miss?, cause you know, i did got the idea that because of the OVAS, we got the megaman cartoon, at least that's kinda the way i see it, well, after all the mitical promo pilot that was made before changing the style to "Attitude-Megaman", were made by the same team that did the OVAS right?.

now, i know we kinda talk about the cartoon, but now lets see the perspective of the OVAS, do you think they could produce more, or, what was the point?

and another thing, are the OVAS out of order?, since most releases in the US started from Wishing upon a star, but it seems that tehy actually started with Appearance in Japan.

Posted on: February 17, 2010, 04:02:48
seems that no one cares  discussing the OVA's::)

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

if you want to know my skype account, send me a PM

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 06:02:48 AM
I do.

They should've made more that weren't preoccupied with edutainment.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:03:37 AM
Edutainment or not, I liked them very much. they were fun.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:02:12 PM
I do.

They should've made more that weren't preoccupied with edutainment.

And how was the gag line "I'm a ninja!" Edutainment? I couldn't see the "Edu" part of the time, that and it was balantly advertising MM5 (you could see the main character playing Rockman 5 (Mega Man V in the states) in anime form, a running gag to have seemlessly appear again on one of Jhonny Test's  (and those before this show) episodes in the form of Digimon World Championship (that ep actually involved backwards evolution, a trait seen in Digimon). This gag often involves the main character (or in some cases, the residents residing in the game), being sucked into the game or yanked out by some magic force).

Then again, the discussions in the anime trilogy (and Wily's antics) are seemingly educational, like that infamous anime short that involves a toilet.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Stardius

• Lazy and overall passive
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:27:10 PM
Well I watched the the classic series OVA really long while back, but I remember that it wasn't really that bad.
More than OVAs I would appriciate a full anime series following MM1-"wherever megaman will end?" maybe?  '>.>
But I don't think this will ever happen, because anime nowdays is all about those lame ecchi harem animes that people still watch for some reason.
And if they ever wanted to do these series they would probably already done so.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:31 AM
I am not a fan of the OVAs, sad to say.  Brain-numbingly dull and childish.  

But it was nice to see Megaman running around in anime form.   It'd be nice to see a classic OVA with a humor tone or a action tone rather than an edutainment one.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 02:48:27 AM
@Gaia: The plot keeps getting shoved in the back in favour of talk about how great Japan is. The episodes' openings are fine, and there are few isolated bits that I like, but overall? I think it's only considered better than RS-MM because it's not American.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 02:59:44 AM
I understand that since people favored that because it's Japan over RS-MM, I just find it quite.. odd.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 03:09:51 AM
well considering that the MM toon was supposed to have the same OVA style, well, it should been weird -u-'

however, while may i change the subject i lil bit, do you really think that of the megaman toon retained the OVA's style, it would been more acceptable, cause after all, the OVAS could been better aside form the educational form, besides one of the OVA's, apparence in japan, i think it may look like it was made for american audiences, hence why in the japanese dub, the characters had their american names, while the other OVAS had their usual japanese names

also, do you really think the plots for the Toon could been better, and less corny?

Example, in the OVAS he obviously doesn't want her fight because of protection, while in the Toons his acts more like a jerk to roll.

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

if you want to know my skype account, send me a PM

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 03:22:36 AM
also, do you really think the plots for the Toon could been better, and less corny?

No.

Also, it would still be American, so it wouldn't be accepted even if Megaman was jailbait. Arg.

while in the Toons his acts more like a jerk to roll.

He stops early on, if memory serves. I'd like to think that he wanted Roll to stay safe, but worded it poorly.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 03:28:16 AM
Example, in the OVAS he obviously doesn't want her fight because of protection, while in the Toons his acts more like a jerk to roll.

In the cartoon, from what I can understand they have thier typical sibling rivalry (as most siblings do), as sometimes Roll gets the better of Mega in the show.

The OVAs are much more closer to thier origional personalities, sort of speak, neither were actually meant to be canon. And like Gonzo said, he stops early on I think after "The Curse of the Lion Men" episode.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 03:35:22 AM
As Gauntlet noted, the personalities in RS-MM aren't that far off from either the games or the OVA (with the exception of Protoman, but I don't mind). It's just that people focus on the characters designs and bash the show to high hell for them.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:13:01 AM
I think Rush suffered some as well.  Cut and Guts may very well have been completely ignored ... or maybe not.  One villain only seems too little for an anime, even if they're trying to be true to the games.  And this was before Superadventure Rock (not even sure they were made by the same guys...)

The tone of the shows would probably have been different had they stuck with the studio that made the OVAs.  However, RS was still the US consultant with them on the project and, obviously, had great say.  It's safe to say they wanted this to appeal to US fans primarily.  So who knows how much things would have changed?  Best case scenario?  It avoids all the US cliches and sticks to childish anime ones about friendship with a "monster of the week" sort of show.

Had they stuck with the Japanese studio and designs it might have been recieved better by the fandom simply because the fandom likes to complain about changes.  However, I don't think the show would have been better.   It's probably be about as boring as the OVAs.  Capcom sees MM as a children's property and likely always has.  So US or Japanese they're targeting young kids.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 07:39:09 AM
"Not a chance, Fancy pants! I dont need any girl robots getting in my way!"

TOTALLY like Game Megaman.

his character may be SIMILAR, but far from the same.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 11:57:10 AM
The OVAs were childish.  That much is true, but I do think they held on to the innocence of the classic Megaman.  It still got closer to what Megaman should feel like than the RS series, though I think it should have also stuck more to Megaman being a robot, not just a video game character sucked into the real world.

Had the RS series retained the classic character designs, it would have been a step in the right direction, but there's still a lot missing from that series besides just the artwork.  I suppose if I can forgive the Upon a Star OVAs because of their loyalty to the classic character designs and personalities, I'd probably like RS Megaman a bit more if it had done so as well.  Maybe with the classic series going again, we might get a good Classic Megaman anime.

Though you could just watch videos of Super Adventure Rockman and get about the same feel.  Aside from being maybe too violent, it otherwise got things right with classic Megaman.

AntiBunny

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 04:44:07 PM
Corny dialogue aside the personalities are the same.  Megaman didn't exactly beg Roll to come along on his adventure in the OVA.  And the sexist thing was only in the first episode, probably added to teach kids a "valuble lesson".  While the dialogue was terrible, the character seems unchanged.

I don't think I can agree so much that the OVAs held on to the classic feel of MM over the RS show.  The intros are what I'd expect, and some of the end as well as isolated scenes, but the entire middle part dealt with Megaman in the "real world" of Japan for all three OVAs.  Moreover, the Robot Masters didn't even recieve any lines of dialogue.  Their appearances were extremely limited, which is disappointing since the Robot Masters are a HUGE part of Megaman.  The main cast might have been given a degree of "justice", but they hardly appear either (the first one doesn't even have Roll).  The OVAs are very focused on MM's time in Japan and that eclipses the MM aspect of the show.  And, from what we see of MM's actual world, they're literally just waiting around for the game to start.  Which isn't quite what I think MM's world is "actually like" in the games.

I can't even say the OVAs got Protoman right.  Sure he's not a villain in them, but you don't get any sence of the relationship between him, MM, and Dr. Light.  Here's just there.  He's not done wrong, but ... he's not really done right either.

I'm not a fan of RS, but I can't help but think the OVAs were a wasted opportunity.  If you want to see anything of how MM's world might be like in an anime the OVAs don't give you any answers.  And that's the most disappointing aspect of it, really.  I can't say if I'd liked to have seen more by the OVA's creators because what we really got was very, very little in terms of actual MM content.  I liked what I saw when I saw it, but I can't say I hated every single second of RS and, poud for pound, RS delivered more Megaman than the OVAs.  I guess, just by the math, I liked RS more, but I feel both failed in several key components.