Any good Turbografx-16/PC Engine games?

Hiryu · 2708

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
on: January 22, 2010, 04:46:56 AM
I already know about Bonk. I'm kinda interested in the Ys Book 1 and 2, I've only played Ys III on the SNES. I'm assuming it's similar to the one I've played?

Describe what makes these games good and why I should play them instead of just slapping a list in the topic,please. Thanks.

Also, if you happen to post any PC Engine games, it would be thoughtful to let me know if there's any english translation patches available.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:49:04 AM
Yea, you MUST try Ys I & II. Wonderful music and hand-drawn pixel art. ^^

I recommend the Legend of Xanadu series too. Both of them. Lots of voice acting, beautiful pixel art and music. The boss fights are 2D side-scrolling, traditional hack slashing. ^^b

Also Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. And look for the action games Kaizou Chounin Shubibinman 1 & 2. Transform into a superhero and fight baddies. x3

The PC Engine is filled with lost gems, shmups and wonderful hand-drawn pixel artsy games, so start looking for them on the net or even on the Virtual Console.

Steam Hearts and Legend of Valkyrie are good too. >U<

I'll help you find more later~ ^w^ </wii>

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Emiri Landeel

• M i s s i n g   i n   a c t i o n
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Put your faith in me and I'll show ya.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 03:03:45 PM
You haven't play the PC-Engine until you played all 4 Valis games.

Side scrolling sword action with scantily clad protagonist.
The difficulty is a bit hard. Challenging but nothing Ghost 'n Goblin.
Great visual scene with full voice acting. (The advantage of being a CD game)
Lovable characters. (Art style is a bit dated tho. But that's the charm of it IMO)

There's an english version but the voice acting is kinda....
Well it's up to ppl taste after all so I won't judge it.

Many great games awaits you.
Glad some one recognize the PC-Engine and give it a try.

My other suggestion are....

-Super Star Soldier  (Hudson, Shmups)
 One of the best and the most popular entry of Star Soldier series. Many types of weapon. Catchy soundtrack. Try it, it's the game that every PCE fans should play.

-Steam Hearts (GIGA, Hentai shmups)
 yes, it's hentai. It has many good soundtracks, great voice acting. The best part is the characters. Most of 'em are cat girl..... if you're into it.

-Honey in the Sky (FACE, Shmups)
 Shmups again? Well, this one is pretty weird shmups. You don't gain power up. But you upgrade by collecting scores and use it to buy things in the shop.
 Best part is that you can warp back to the stage you cleared to collect score to buy more upgrades. Which I think it's so cool.
 Also, your ship can fire in 8-directions and you can adjust the direction (one way tho). If you want something different, try it. Great BGMs too.

-Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (Hudson, Action)
 The same as NES version but better in every possible ways. Better graphics, better sound sample. If you like the NES version, you'll love this version. I guarantee.

-Legendary Axe/ Makyou Densetsu (Victor, Action)
 Game of the Year 1989 by VideoGames & Computer Entertainment magazine. Do I need to say some more thing?

-Valkyrie no Densetsu (Namco, Action)
 Think of it as an arcade style Zelda, but less RPG-ish. You move from place to place, fight with hordes of enemy.
 Collect money to buy better equipment while help people along the way.

Well, enough for now.
OBEY THE PC-ENGINE.

*edit*
BTW, seems like you're Strider Hiryu fans. Why don't you try Strider Hiryu for PCE-CD? Not bad at all, but nothing arcade.
You need Arcade Card system card to play the game on the real hardware tho.

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
  • DWII's Lab Expirement Verifier
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 04:06:30 PM
I'd suggest looking at SplatterHouse. Not only is it a good sidescroller, it's also got an awesome sound track, creepy enemy designs and there's also som pretty good twists in the game.

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger!!~ "

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! Erupting...Burning...FINGER!!!~"
-----
That one Nun...

Offline Hiryu

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:51:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to look at the PC Engine Strider game. I forgot about that one.

The Legend of Xanadu, huh? I think I've played a game from that series before - Faxanadu.

Edit: Looking at the Strider PC-Engine game, it's very similar to the 1st Strider game that was packaged with the Strider 2 PSX game. I'll still play it, even though I've beaten the first one.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:03:01 PM
You could always go for Galaga '90 for Turbografix-16 if you are into that.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hiryu

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 09:18:32 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind too. Galaga is my favorite arcade game.

I can't seem to get Magic Engine to run the Strider game. DAEMON won't mount the ISO, and when I created a real CD, it still won't load.

Edit: I don't believe it. All I had to do was change the MP3's to WAV. Are you kidding me? I guess the game won't work properly without the correct format, but seriously, can you be any more pickier? And not only that, they weren't even set to the right sampling rate. Why can't people package things ready to play?

Offline Emiri Landeel

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 04:06:15 AM
The reason why they always do the ISO/MP3 format.
Cos the size will reduced greatly and easier to upload into the internet than leaving the bgm files in.wav.

BTW, if you experienced the bgm isn't sync with the screen. That's because most of PCE-CD disc images around internet are bad toc.
Even you adjust the disc reading speed to be slower, it won't help.
Those that are compressed in ridiculous small size(20-60mb) are mostly the bad one.

Offline Hiryu

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 04:34:03 AM
I see. Well, after doing all that crap with the audio files, I can only play the first stage of Strider. It glitches during the first stage, but it's only a minor annoyance, all the cutscenes and such will load properly. But stage two is a different manner altogether. The best I've got it to load was with a terrible scrambled sprite of Hiryu and the Header that tells you your life bar and such is missing. It could be the emulator or the CD I got.

So far, Magic Engine is the only emulator that's worked for me, besides Strider. I couldn't even get the others to load a game because some wouldn't start at all. Unless someone can introduce me to another emulator that isn't Ootake,Hu-Go,HudX, or XPCE, I won't be able to play Strider at all :(. It's mostly the same, although the cutscenes are much better than the PSX version and the music is a lot more awesome.

So, I'm playing Ys Book 1 and 2 for now. Works perfectly so far.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 04:37:29 AM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Emiri Landeel

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 04:40:58 AM
My pc has no problem running Strider Hiryu on Ootake. And yep, I play it from the start until finished.

You should try Mednafen as Vixy stated. Great emu that capable to run PCE/PCECD with an accuracy.
But the emu itself might turns people away due to the fact that it has no GUI. (Just find the frontend for it)

Offline Hiryu

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 08:45:43 PM
Thanks for the link, Vixy.  :cookie:

I'm not sure how to make the frontend install to the emulator, it seems complicated.  I think I need Python to install it, and I'm not sure how to install Python to Windows.

UPDATE: Found another Frontend for Mednafen that's not quite as complicated to install - atleast on a Windows System. Strider runs fine so far, the first level is free of the garbage that was in ME.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:49:32 AM by Hiryu »