The Great Gonzo · 32871

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 05:48:48 PM
what would have been the outcome, if Keiji Inafune was the producer?

Something close to that~ ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 06:30:03 PM
Ah! The Rockman OVA, I almost forgot that.
Super Rockman Adventure could also be counted.

Thank you Vixy.  8)

A anime adaption of Rockman Megamix under the guideance of Inafune would be more than awesome.  :V

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 10:32:26 PM
Wow.
I seriously don't think the world is ready for that kind of awesome, Thanatos.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 11:05:26 PM
Now I´m asking me, what would have been the outcome, if Keiji Inafune was the producer instead of Joe Ruby and Ken Spears?

The OVAs, except earlier.

To which America would've responded, "What is this [parasitic bomb]? Change the channel."

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 12:53:10 AM
Wow.
I seriously don't think the world is ready for that kind of awesome, Thanatos.

But for us anytime, anywhere!  [eyebrow]
Let us Rock and Roll that day, when this will happen.

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 07:51:30 AM
Personally I always thought that the Ruby Spears version underestimated American Audiences.  Astro Boy was popular in its day.  I don't think it needed changes such as turning Roll into a jumpsuit wearing bimbo, Megaman into a balloon muscled steroid case, and Rush into Scooby Doo or reducing Protoman's characterization to just being the evil rival rather than the mysterious loner were necessary.  By the fifth game (which was released around the same time as the Ruby Spears cartoon) Capcom of America had long since given up trying to change Megaman into something like you'd see on the first and second game's box art, and gone to something much closer to the original character design.  Now the Ruby Spears series was not nearly as egregious a violation as Captain N, but still it's a far way off.

In fact as I recall there was the issue brought up of the unaired pilot episode, which did in fact come much closer to the real character designs.  How good the writing would have been if it kept to that concept I don't know, and is entirely up to supposition.  I did however enjoy the Upon A Star DVD.  As simple as it was at least got the character designs and personalities right, even if it did go a bit too light compared to the games.

I 100% agree the best case would have been an anime adaptation of the Megamix manga.  I'm at least glad we're finally getting Megamix stateside. 

AntiBunny

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 03:15:06 PM
Astro Boy was popular in its day.

Regardless, by the time Generation Y came about, the show was FORTY YEARS OLD. As good as it was, I don't think kids in the 90s would've had much interest in it. (And before you bring up old Looney Tunes shorts, LT was something completely different)

And the reason that Ruby-Spears changed the designs wasn't because they were a bunch of pricks, but because the game designs tested poorly with test audiences. They didn't have much of a choice. And even if they didn't redesign anyone, the writing would still be the same.

...Someone please find evidence of an unaired episode/s so we can stop going back and forth on this matter. ;_;

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 07:43:01 PM
America dont like their shows unless its about buff superheroes.

At least we're more open minded now. Plus when I watched it, to me, it felt no different than the game designs. its now that Im older that I notice how different they were.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 08:12:51 PM
regarding the pilot, somebody on this page had some rip of the promo, but at the time, there was no youtube

http://www.mmhp.net/marketing/Promo.html

Somebody Could Contact those persons???

Now, it would been awesome to had the original version of the cartoon, with the original style intact, but, here's a thing, the promo was animated in japan or not?, since after the promo, the Wish upon a star OVA's were made, and they kinda dissapointing since they were mainly educational, but it gives an idea of how the megaman cartoon could been

and lets not forget, in the 1st OVA, all the characters have their american counterparts name's intead of the japanese one's, and the kids are playing the american cart of megaman 5, instead of the japanese famicom one, and that Scoth Mc Nheil (did i wrote that wrong?) voiced Dr. Wily in the english dub.

Damn my English Spelling

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

if you want to know my skype account, send me a PM

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 08:29:33 PM
I heard that Mandi wasn't willing to share the promo beyond those screenshots, so I think asking her for it would be moot.

And I still think that the original art style would've attracted a huge female audience and get the show retooled. A Megaman shoujo series without a flowery art style...that'd be interesting.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 10:09:22 PM
Oh wow, so that's where that Rockman 7 commercial got the Wily bit from. (and probably the Megaman one too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9pcshsYQs

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 11:05:39 PM
holy S**t its true, the 2 1/2 seconds of footage ARE from the Cartoon Pilot!!!

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

if you want to know my skype account, send me a PM

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 11:34:10 PM
It's nothing fashionable about it.  I've seen it and it's bad.  The writing is bad, the artwork is bad, and it's clearly created by people who have no respect for what Megaman should be.  That's how I feel about it.  I look at it and I see a betrayal of the spirit of the series.  I think people just cling to it because it's the only animated series to represent classic Megaman.

Really, you'd be hard pressed to find a Zelda fan who loves the old Zelda cartoons, so I don't see why liking Ruby Spears Megaman is somehow sacred to parts of the fandom.  Most fans of Batman turn away in disgust from the 1960's series, and you'd be hard pressed to find a Fantastic Four fan who'd defend the "The Thing" cartoon.  I mean if it's just your tastes in animation, I don't see why, but you're entitled to that, but there's no reason to cling to it just because you want to be a bigger fan of Megaman.

Just my two cents on the matter.

All that having been said, it was Capcom of Japan's decision to handle the Megaman cartoon the way it was, and the only major difference between the pilot episode and the final product was the art style.

Also, from the back of my DVD case:
Executive Producer: Kenzo Tsujimoto (CEO of Capcom Japan)
Producers: Akio Sakai (President of Imagin Co., Ltd of Japan), Jun Aida (President of Square Pictures, Japan)
Supervising Producer: Toshihiko Sato (Founder of Production Reed Co., Ltd of Japan), alongside Ruby and Spears
Animation Directors: Hiroyuki Yokoyama (worked on a few of the MS Gundam series), Kenichiro Watanabe (directed such animes as Azumanga Daioh, Power Stone, Rurouni Kenshin, and the Galaxy Adventures of Oz), Minoru Okazaki (directed Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, some of the Dragonball movies, and did storyboards for Lupin III and New Gigantor)
Production Coordinators: Hazuki Kataoka, Eiichi Takahashi
Background Design: Yoshimi Umino (Good LORD did this person do art production in a lot of anime, including .Hack, Arc the Lad, The Galaxy Railways, Zeiram the Animation, Candidate for Goddess, Ranma 1/2, Record of Lodoss War, and Tenchi Muyo)

The Megaman cartoon was very much a Japanese production, and the only reason the animation style was changed was because test markets responded better to the more "American" look.  Scooby-Dooified Rush aside, not much else changed.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009, 02:23:02 AM
And the reason that Ruby-Spears changed the designs wasn't because they were a bunch of pricks, but because the game designs tested poorly with test audiences. They didn't have much of a choice. And even if they didn't redesign anyone, the writing would still be the same.
And hey, not everyone got a major redesign, either.  Rush, Dr. Wily, and many of the Robot Masters, mostly the ones introduced in Season 2, barely looked any different at all to me.  And I don't fault them for trying to make Roll more interesting either.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009, 03:32:12 AM
It's nothing fashionable about it.  I've seen it and it's bad.  The writing is bad, the artwork is bad, and it's clearly created by people who have no respect for what Megaman should be.  That's how I feel about it.  I look at it and I see a betrayal of the spirit of the series.  I think people just cling to it because it's the only animated series to represent classic Megaman.
You remind me of one of those the book is better than the movie people. Seriously, it's marketing. Let's all cry about how much the Mega Man X series is different from Mega Man rather than liking both differently.

Edit:
I just noticed that everyone is talking about the OVA. Seriously? I didn't think it was possible to be more entertained by that boring-ass Japanese culture lesson than by the hilariously awesome RS cartoon. I mean, the action scenes rocked, but not so much the parades and stuff.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 03:42:32 AM
I loved the OVA. plus it was integrated nicely. Megaman comes out of the TV, and as he tries to sort of fit in, he learns of stuff. It wasnt just a culture lesson, and it was a very well made one at that. plus, the animation was really good. And the basic Idea was fantasy enough to work. kids favorite Video Game characters come out of the TV and battle it out in real life. What kid hasnt dreamed that at some time or another?

RS Megaman is only enjoyable because it was hilariously bad. as in, its so bad, it good.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 03:47:10 AM
I 100% agree the best case would have been an anime adaptation of the Megamix manga.  I'm at least glad we're finally getting Megamix stateside.
See, this is a double-standard to me.  Megamix, like Ruby Spears, "toughened up" the game designs.  Megamix just left Rock and Roll as kids, but the art style and overall theme to the story are a good deal darker than the games.

I'm not saying Roll's jumpsuit and Protoman being the generic evil twin were my favorite parts either, but overall I think the Ruby Spears cartoon did a good job.

Really, you'd be hard pressed to find a Zelda fan who loves the old Zelda cartoons
Well, EXCUUUSE ME, PRINCESS, but you're looking at one Biggoron's Sword nutcase who happens to also appreciate the classic cartoon.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 03:51:49 AM
Edit:
I just noticed that everyone is talking about the OVA. Seriously? I didn't think it was possible to be more entertained by that boring-ass Japanese culture lesson than by the hilariously awesome RS cartoon. I mean, the action scenes rocked, but not so much the parades and stuff.

Not to mention, for all the changes the Ruby-Spears cartoon made, the OVA made more. "Hey guys! Let's make Megaman a video game character in-universe and have him pop out of the TV for no adequately explained reason! And let's have two Japanese kids push him around and make him wait during the entirety of the first episode even when he's badly hurt! That's totally like the games!"

It's not, and yet it generally gets a free pass. Glaaaaaa.

See, this is a double-standard to me.  Megamix, like Ruby Spears, "toughened up" the game designs.  Megamix just left Rock and Roll as kids, but the art style and overall theme to the story are a good deal darker than the games.

Why is it that the Japanese can make an arseload of changes to Megaman and have them accepted without question, but the Americans (and Brazilians) can't so much as miscolour someone without the fandom going "THIS IS A TRAVESTY TO CANON! BAAAWWW!"?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 03:57:30 AM
I didnt mind the RS designs. In fact, for some odd reason, Protoman looked so... RIGHT, wearing red underwear instead of the red strip. it was just that Protoman was the bad guy and Wily's right hand that was what killed it a bit. lets say that Protoman was still a good guy, and Wily had some "invented for the show" rival robot. (most likely an evil clone of Megaman) I think it would not be that bad.

Not to mention, for all the changes the Ruby-Spears cartoon made, the OVA made more. "Hey guys! Let's make Megaman a video game character in-universe and have him pop out of the TV for no adequately explained reason! And let's have two Japanese kids push him around and make him wait during the entirety of the first episode even when he's badly hurt! That's totally like the games!"
i cant see whats so bad about a fantasy setting such as that. a kids videogame character coming out of the TV. remember it was supposed to be simple, and sweet. and the story was simple. it would be too convoluted if they came up with some complicated explanation for WHY he came out of the TV.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #44 on: September 14, 2009, 04:07:48 AM
it was just that Protoman was the bad guy and Wily's right hand that was what killed it a bit. lets say that Protoman was still a good guy, and Wily had some "invented for the show" rival robot. (most likely an evil clone of Megaman) I think it would not be that bad.
A shame that RS predates MM7.  ProtoMan's role would have been easily filled by Bass.

I found it rather hilarious, and sad, that in Season 2 they were using DARK MAN while still keeping ProtoMan evil.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: September 14, 2009, 04:13:09 AM
I woul have LOVED to see RS Bass. now THAT would be hilarious. At least Subtank made RS Zero.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: September 14, 2009, 04:14:39 AM
i cant see whats so bad about a fantasy setting such as that. a kids videogame character coming out of the TV. remember it was supposed to be simple, and sweet. and the story was simple. it would be too convoluted if they came up with some complicated explanation for WHY he came out of the TV.

It's not the setting that bugs me (even if "so-and-so comes in and out of a TV" is a plot that rubs me the wrong way). See, it's a HUGE deviation from the games, something that a lot of Megaman fans hate, but they don't complain about it. Ruby-Spears, though? About the worst that they did was make Protoman evil, and yet those same fans are all, "WHAT? PROTOMAN IS A GOOD GUY YOU IGNORANT PRICKS! BAAAAAAAAAAAWWWW!!"

...By that logic, people should be constantly flaming me for all the concepts I've written about, because I'm an American and Americans are not allowed to soil the sacred name of Megaman (or Rockman, since a lot of the whiners also strike me as weeaboos) with their own ideas.

I woul have LOVED to see RS Bass. now THAT would be hilarious. At least Subtank made RS Zero.

What about my RS-Bass? :/

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: September 14, 2009, 04:21:22 AM
I meant how RS would have handled his character. as Im pretty sure He might have the same personality that proto has in it.

also, its because of the aformentioned "he came out of the game" that people dont mind. Its a different scenario. the very beginning of the OVA has Megaman in the game going through all the stages and beating the bosses. RS was "in universe" so to speak.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: September 14, 2009, 04:37:21 AM
I meant how RS would have handled his character. as Im pretty sure He might have the same personality that proto has in it.

You'd want the same character twice, then? (Then again, I think non-combatant hacker Bass would've made the whiners spontaneously combust.)

also, its because of the aformentioned "he came out of the game" that people dont mind. Its a different scenario. the very beginning of the OVA has Megaman in the game going through all the stages and beating the bosses. RS was "in universe" so to speak.

I still don't get it; different scenario or not, it's still a damned big change. Nowhere was it indicated in the game canon that the series took place in the "Game World". You'd think the fans would be bothered by it, at least.

In all honesty, I think it's just the fans saying, "Who cares how inaccurate it is? IT'S JAPANESE! *annoying pseudo-Japanese noises of happiness*"

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: September 14, 2009, 04:46:21 AM
*shrug* Iunno. I liked both. For their own reasons. For the time, RS Megaman was MEGAMAN. it was THE megaman show. and like I said, honestly, back then, I thought megamn looked just like he was supposed to. its now that I notice JUST how different he was. and the OVA I watched like maybe a year or 2 ago, and liked it.

Each to their own I guess. But it amuses me that they used the test ep Wily clip for the commercial for RM7